Tips for GT7 Sport races and DR SR progression

• Thread starter dabz343
  • 25 comments
Video is in 2 parts.

Part 1:
  • Find the right combo for you. Don't do daily race A. Only do Daily B if you're particularly strong at it. Focus on daily race C.
  • Spend time setting a decent qualifying time
  • Make friends with the people you race with. Type a welcome message in the lobby. Work with them in races. You'll get to know them and this benefits you in the long run.
  • Don't be greedy. You're only aiming for a top 5 to improve your DR. Don't get greedy with a risky move for P3.
  • Don't rage quit

If you're doing all the above and you're not improving then your skill level is the problem. Therefore.......

Part 2:
  • Skill over speed. Focus on racing cleanly and consistently.
  • Study & learn. Invest time learning the track, braking points, racing line etc.
  • Watch coaching videos
  • Optimise your set up (currently suspension tweaks)
  • Take a positive mindset. If someone hits you they likely just made a mistake. Don't react in the moment and just learn from it.

Broadly speaking, yes that all makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Don't be greedy. You're only aiming for a top 5 to improve your DR. Don't get greedy with a risky move for P3.
This point has been especially challenging for me in the early days with GTS. The lack of real world sensations in a virtual format posed some serious challenges and I was my became my worst enemy...

Greed...it makes you do things you don't really want to do...

I prefer not to color anyone's interpretation.
I'm not sure how summarising the video's points will affect anyone's interpretation - any more than any replies would.

However, slapping a ten-minute video into a post without any actual explanation will dramatically reduce the number of interpretations you get.

If you don't actually want in-context replies, that's fine - although quite why you'd make a discussion thread about it if you don't want discussion is its own question.

Still, @watto79 has done it for you now.

Edit: Wow. What an over-reaction to a simple request.

Nothing controversial or unusual in that list of key points, although whether "making friends" actually has any impact is anecdotal at best.

@dabz343 So what's your DR story? Where are you at, what's your experience in trying to improve and what are your goals? Did the video make sense to you and have you taken anything from it you could apply to your racing?
My DR story is pretty long, filled with just about every point mentioned in the video. I'm currently trying to perfect corner entry as I see all those ahead of me consistently doing a better job. I tend to bleed off the brakes too quickly and I'm trying to adjust that atm and finding now the initial steering angle to need dramatic adjustments. But it's getting there...set a personal best at Spa with a Gr3 McLaren on BoP/RS/no tune/no wear of 2.15.4xx.

Obviously it made sense to me, hence the post. But more than the need to validate what make sense to me or not, I posted it to see if we could have a conversation about the subject. Because I think a lot of players are focusing on improving their ranking/experience and I believe there are some interesting people here with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.

Now a question to you. Did you find any one of his suggestions to be interesting enough to unpack? Willing to share?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing controversial or unusual in that list of key points, although whether "making friends" actually has any impact is anecdotal at best.
Yeah, I kind of take that to mean that one should get to know those racing around them. If you keep repeating the same sport race on the same day you are likely to end up in lobbies with a lot of the same people qualifying right around you. This is helpful because you start to understand how people race. Some people you just let go by because you know they're too aggressive and will ruin their own race (and possibly some of your competition), others you know you can race them hard and clean and you don't need to be afraid to get wheel to wheel, etc.

Yeah, I kind of take that to mean that one should get to know those racing around them. If you keep repeating the same sport race on the same day you are likely to end up in lobbies with a lot of the same people qualifying right around you. This is helpful because you start to understand how people race. Some people you just let go by because you know they're too aggressive and will ruin their own race (and possibly some of your competition), others you know you can race them hard and clean and you don't need to be afraid to get wheel to wheel, etc.
Great insights. I could have used your advice early in my journey.

I now take a couple of races to study those that I'm not familiar with. Especially on a Monday when the dailies are new. It helps me get a bearing on their aggression and race craft. I did not do this during the early days because I was so focused on ganging maximum DR points in every race.

I highly recommend taking a more steady and strategic approach if you are starting out. The mental side of racing can be quite rewarding, if you are able to be strategic and out wit your opponents.

My DR story is pretty long, filled with just about every point mentioned in the video. I'm currently trying to perfect corner entry as I see all those ahead of me consistently doing a better job. I tend to bleed off the brakes too quickly and I'm trying to adjust that atm and finding now the initial steering angle to need dramatic adjustments. But it's getting there...set a personal best at Spa with a Gr3 McLaren on BoP/RS/no tune/no wear of 2.15.4xx.

Obviously it made sense to me, hence the post. But more than the need to validate what make sense to me or not, I posted it to see if we could have a conversation about the subject. Because I think a lot of players are focusing on improving their ranking/experience and I believe there are some interesting people here with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.

Now a question to you. Did you find any one of his suggestions to be interesting enough to unpack? Willing to share?

Who says he runs this ship? LOL

You’re almost always going to be able to carry in more speed, than you can carry through and out of a corner. I suggest not starting with corner entries, but start with corner exits. Slow your entries down, because odds are if you’re pushing the entries, yours carrying too much speed through the corner and blowing your exits, which you then drag all the way down the straight with you. Start with finding the best exit first, then, once you’ve done that, find the entry that sets you up for that ideal exit.

Also, prioritize the corners of a track, from most important, to least important, and then start on the most important one first. The way to prioritize them is as follows, the fastest corner, that leads to the longest straight away, is corner #1/the most important one. That one corner can lose you more time than any other on the track, nail it first, then move on to the next most important corner, until the list is all crossed off.

You’re almost always going to be able to carry in more speed, than you can carry through and out of a corner. I suggest not starting with corner entries, but start with corner exits. Slow your entries down, because odds are if you’re pushing the entries, yours carrying too much speed through the corner and blowing your exits, which you then drag all the way down the straight with you. Start with finding the best exit first, then, once you’ve done that, find the entry that sets you up for that ideal exit.
Wise perspective, and would be very useful if I did not already have the theory part ingrained in my head. It's like I said earlier, since I can't feel the g forces, I'm having to sense what is going on with load transfer and grip based on wheel FFB only. Now, had I not cemented the craft of driving on the limit from the real world, my brain may not persistently get in the way by wanting signals that a video game just can't offer.

Now, back to your suggestion about slowing down entries so that the exits are optimal -- especially for those corners prior to a long straight. I would agree that if I was pushing from DR B to DR A, or DR A to DR A+, your advice would likely make an impact. But I'm pushing from DR A+ to well..., DR A++ and finding that elusive 0.05 sec per corner isn't gonna come by slowing down entry IMO. Just to be clear, I don't have any disagreement with your sound advice. It's just that I believe I am beyond this tactical lesson and have found that when I review others that gain a tenth here and there, it is very evident that they are better than me at corner entry and the transient stage before throttle application.

So, I don't want to be long winded here, but since you gave a quality response, I feel obliged to elaborate a little. You see, right now, I'm challenged by sensing where the grip is at every phase of the corner. Exits are usually self explanatory, but the rest, especially the mid phase when you are bleeding the last 10% off the brakes, then completing the rotation with ever so steering delicacy as to not upset the balance, then squeezing the throttle early and patiently as the nose starts to unwind are not that pronounced for me. Everything feels numb in this transient phase. I do not get the refined sensation of what the car is doing in this crucial for my brain to direct my feet and hands. I get a rumble and torque from the wheel, but the lack of sensation of speed (I think) is what I am missing to dial in the dance I know I can do with my hands and feet.

There are many savvy racers who have disparate methods pertaining to this, what concepts are helping you?

SR is alot easier to get up than DR obviously.....just keep your nose clean and try to get as many of those clean race bonuses you can each time out. Sometimes easier said than done if you are in lower lobbies with nimrods out there driving like its a demolition derby.

SR is alot easier to get up than DR obviously.....just keep your nose clean and try to get as many of those clean race bonuses you can each time out. Sometimes easier said than done if you are in lower lobbies with nimrods out there driving like its a demolition derby.
Yea, SR might be the hidden gem early on. Once you acquire an S rating, you start to be matched with others who also want a serious race. The pace differents may be wide, but you are likely to elevate your chances of racing against drivers that are looking to improve organically, rather than rushing into a higher DR split for ego sake.

Be patient, even if you run into an occasional nimrod her and there...on or off track. LOL

Wise perspective, and would be very useful if I did not already have the theory part ingrained in my head. It's like I said earlier, since I can't feel the g forces, I'm having to sense what is going on with load transfer and grip based on wheel FFB only. Now, had I not cemented the craft of driving on the limit from the real world, my brain may not persistently get in the way by wanting signals that a video game just can't offer.

Now, back to your suggestion about slowing down entries so that the exits are optimal -- especially for those corners prior to a long straight. I would agree that if I was pushing from DR B to DR A, or DR A to DR A+, your advice would likely make an impact. But I'm pushing from DR A+ to well..., DR A++ and finding that elusive 0.05 sec per corner isn't gonna come by slowing down entry IMO. Just to be clear, I don't have any disagreement with your sound advice. It's just that I believe I am beyond this tactical lesson and have found that when I review others that gain a tenth here and there, it is very evident that they are better than me at corner entry and the transient stage before throttle application.

So, I don't want to be long winded here, but since you gave a quality response, I feel obliged to elaborate a little. You see, right now, I'm challenged by sensing where the grip is at every phase of the corner. Exits are usually self explanatory, but the rest, especially the mid phase when you are bleeding the last 10% off the brakes, then completing the rotation with ever so steering delicacy as to not upset the balance, then squeezing the throttle early and patiently as the nose starts to unwind are not that pronounced for me. Everything feels numb in this transient phase. I do not get the refined sensation of what the car is doing in this crucial for my brain to direct my feet and hands. I get a rumble and torque from the wheel, but the lack of sensation of speed (I think) is what I am missing to dial in the dance I know I can do with my hands and feet.

There are many savvy racers who have disparate methods pertaining to this, what concepts are helping you?

If you can’t change your driving style, to match what the game wants, in order to get that last .5, you’ll just not get it. The closer you get to the pointy end, the less variations there is in ways to achieve that lap time. The ultimate fastest lap, is only gonna have one way to get it, one line, one set of brake marks, one set of inputs, period. A+ doesn’t really mean much to be honest, there’s literally thousands of A+ drivers in this game. It’s 50k DR, the WT aliens at 100k DR, that’s as far from 50k, as a day one newb is from the 50k driver. I’ve made it as far at top 16 North America races in GT Sport, and I was still 30-45s behind the race winners in those races, at 60k DR. If you want that last .5, you have to do it the way the game wants it done, period. Study the aliens, and exactly what they do, because that’s basically the only way to do it. There is no “other way”, or magic info that gets it.

Last edited:
If you can’t change your driving style, to match what the game wants, in order to get that last .5, you’ll just not get it. The closer you get to the pointy end, the less variations there is in ways to achieve that lap time. The ultimate fastest lap, is only gonna have one way to get it
Study the aliens, and exactly what they do, because that’s basically the only way to do it. There is no “other way”, or magic info that gets it.
I think I understand why you see it this way, but disagree that there is essentially only one way. Just look at the leaderboards. Consistently, there are those that get into top 5, 10, 50 with the unusual car. Perhaps unusual is no the right term, let's say a nonobvious car. IMO this proves that for some, not copying/mimicking others can and does work in GT7.

And to me, this is why GT7 is enjoyable. It's like an interesting puzzle box, if you have the time for it. But I understand how some approach it to maximize efficiency. And in that case, certainly trying to mimic the aliens to find speed is efficient...but a little boring in my view.

A+ doesn’t really mean much to be honest, there’s literally thousands of A+ drivers in this game. It’s 50k DR, the WT aliens at 100k DR
Again I disagree. If you are able to reach and hold on to your A+ rating, then I think you have earned yourself a bit of respect and should be fairly confident with the fundamental skills of racing. I only mentioned my A+ rating to you to communicate that your original advise to focus on slow in, fast out was already in my rear view mirror -- although I still think it is sound advise for those in the B and A ratings.

I was still 30-45s behind the race winners in those races, at 60k DR
I'm like you, still behind the top performers, and when I look to see how they are pulling on me, it's in corner entry like I said before. Which means they are better on the brakes, simple as that. And btw, out of the 5 guys that I really respect, they all possess slight variations with their inputs and take slightly different racing lines. Some like to v shape corners, others prefer braking slightly early and taking late apexes. Simply put, they all have slightly different approaches to slowing and rotating the car. And to top it off, they also vary their inputs from car to car, which is really impressive.

So I went to Kudosprime to see the actual number of my A+ rating (I had no idea it generated a number) and it says I'm at ~68K. I'm not sure what that means, as I stated previous, I've stepped away from being greedy about my DR. But one thing that I am kind of known for, and respected on track for is, I always rise to the occasion and punch above my weight.

I'm open to a track session with you if you are ever interested. You seem to have a grasp of what you are doing and certainly getting into the top split in NA is an accomplishment.

1702389342734.png

I think I understand why you see it this way, but disagree that there is essentially only one way. Just look at the leaderboards. Consistently, there are those that get into top 5, 10, 50 with the unusual car. Perhaps unusual is no the right term, let's say a nonobvious car. IMO this proves that for some, not copying/mimicking others can and does work in GT7.

And to me, this is why GT7 is enjoyable. It's like an interesting puzzle box, if you have the time for it. But I understand how some approach it to maximize efficiency. And in that case, certainly trying to mimic the aliens to find speed is efficient...but a little boring in my view.

Again I disagree. If you are able to reach and hold on to your A+ rating, then I think you have earned yourself a bit of respect and should be fairly confident with the fundamental skills of racing. I only mentioned my A+ rating to you to communicate that your original advise to focus on slow in, fast out was already in my rear view mirror -- although I still think it is sound advise for those in the B and A ratings.

I'm like you, still behind the top performers, and when I look to see how they are pulling on me, it's in corner entry like I said before. Which means they are better on the brakes, simple as that. And btw, out of the 5 guys that I really respect, they all possess slight variations with their inputs and take slightly different racing lines. Some like to v shape corners, others prefer braking slightly early and taking late apexes. Simply put, they all have slightly different approaches to slowing and rotating the car. And to top it off, they also vary their inputs from car to car, which is really impressive.

So I went to Kudosprime to see the actual number of my A+ rating (I had no idea it generated a number) and it says I'm at ~68K. I'm not sure what that means, as I stated previous, I've stepped away from being greedy about my DR. But one thing that I am kind of known for, and respected on track for is, I always rise to the occasion and punch above my weight.

I'm open to a track session with you if you are ever interested. You seem to have a grasp of what you are doing and certainly getting into the top split in NA is an accomplishment.

View attachment 1311152

Sure man, I’d happily race with you sometime, or whatever you would like to do. Our group does each week’s daily races in a lobby on Friday nights(9pm est), if you ever want to come out. It’s just for fun, we try not to take it too seriously, but you’re welcome any time, we always have fun.

As far as the speed stuff, yeah, it gets boring as heck, but my pursuit was about purely speed/pace, and nothing else. I didn’t care how boring it was, I just wanted to be faster. You’d be surprised how far up the ladder you can get. But at a certain point, it becomes about can you put enough time in? It becomes a full time job in and of itself really. I was averaging 3-4 hours on weeknights, and 8-12 hours on the weekend days. My best finish was 6th in Canada, and 18th in NA. To improve any further, I’d have had to quit my job and race full time, which obviously just isn’t feasible lol.

You guys wouldn't want to see that...would you?

It’s kind of an inside joke, but I’d happily race you if you want to, it’s pretty fun the way I set it up. 1 vs 1 races, 1 lap Qually for pole, 1 lap races, rotating pole after first race, best 4 out of 7 wins.

Last edited:
I'd say its pretty accurate, although I never made it into A+ myself. There are some comments on the video that point out a few inaccuracies, so they won't be mentioned.

I'm sure at a certain point advice needs to be more specific (especially in regards to the actual driving), but this is fine for anyone who is climbing. Some of the psychological aspects of racing, outside of dealing with pressure, does not get discussed often so its nice to see that here.
--
More detailed
There are certain things that I would take with a grain of salt or at least point out a caveat with, though.

People generally race much nicer against streamers or known members/viewers. Unlike maybe Deano, it would probably take a lot more than just consistent messages in the game chat to get people to even remember who you are, especially in splits where there are far more people. If you can manage to make it work, you may have mentally disarmed someone who would have otherwise been fierce opposition before the race even started.

If that fails...

Drivers need good reasons to work together. As an opponent, you would need to understand the problem your rival is facing and be able to accurately tell that the solution you have (bump-drafting, giving slipstream, not battling, etc) benefits both of you without them gaining any significant advantage against you (fuel consumption, tire wear, psychological). At the end of the day, you are still racing and someone will have to be "betrayed" at some point. An example would be giving someone slip to force an overtake opportunity for against somene behind, just to make it easier to get away from both drivers. Another would be bump-drafting someone to get away from a pack of drivers and isolate a rival to overtake later in the race.

You can use super-aggressive driving to get others to feel the pressure and crack. You can do sudden movements behind them just to see if and when they are looking in their mirrors, then feint overtakes and prod into the braking zone when you can afford it. Overall, trying to get them to focus on you instead of the track or their strategy is also a valid tactic. It's all fair game as long as you don't create any incidents.

That's not to say you can't or shouldn't make efforts to be more outwardly positive on and off the virtual track, but its probably not going to be as effective as simply... racing better? The ones I like are due to them putting up good fights or beating me handily, not because they made my time any easier. :lol:

The racing speaks for itself.
HansWatermark.png

Anyway, this comes from a mix of my experiences, thoughts and opinions. Don't take it as gospel!

Last edited:
Sure man, I’d happily race with you sometime, or whatever you would like to do. Our group does each week’s daily races in a lobby on Friday nights(9pm est), if you ever want to come out. It’s just for fun, we try not to take it too seriously, but you’re welcome any time, we always have fun.
That's dope! I'm glad I stumbled across this thread.

That's dope! I'm glad I stumbled across this thread.

We’ve been doing it since 2019 I wanna say? Here’s a link to the thread it’s run out of, if you ever want to come out. Anyone is welcome, anytime, it’s all just for fun.

Last edited:
We’ve been doing it since 2019 I wanna say? Here’s a link to the thread it’s run out of, if you ever want to come out. Anyone is welcome, anytime, it’s all just for fun.

I'd love to and thank you for the invitation. I'll definitely make time soon, if not tonight.

Back