Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,733 comments
I'd be surprised if GT Sport isn't the first game the production model appears in.

If the Supra does appear in Gran Turismo Sport, I really hope that means Toyotas can start appearing in more games again.

If not, I am going to be highly inclined to believe Polyphony Digital have an exclusivity deal with Toyota's (road) cars. I am aware Toyotas still appear in mobile games though.

giphy.gif

BMW's single twin-scroll turbo setup is very similar to the twin-turbo 2Js in terms of the runner lengths in the manifold(s), so it is no real surprise it has the same honking, 360° texture. I always thought it was a bit dull, but I suppose their hands are tied with the engine package this time.

VXR
Sounds like most other processed exhausts these days. All pops with no real timbre.

Most Japanese performance cars seem to have bucked the trend of creating artificial crackles and pops from the exhausts, so Toyota is making it pretty evident there is a European engine in the Supra. :lol:

It's always about induction sound for me, which is why I find it hard to get excited for turbos.

VXR
Sounds like most other processed exhausts these days. All pops with no real timbre.

Agreed, this is a specialty of BMW and their aficionados. A lot of popping noise out of the exhaust, this will turn into "My VANOS just blew up yo!" Either way, this is a huge missed opportunity for Toyota. No manual trans=no buying new Supra.

Agreed, this is a specialty of BMW and their aficionados. A lot of popping noise out of the exhaust, this will turn into "My VANOS just blew up yo!" Either way, this is a huge missed opportunity for Toyota. No manual trans=no buying new Supra.
I'm sure many people were upset with the R35 transmission choice, but look how successful it's been. Supra has already raced/tested at the N24. It's a sports car. It's got a turbo. Sure, we all will have to wait on the handling verdict, but it's got potential.

Can't wait to see all the race versions and customised Supras, throughout the year.

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I just had to put this here when I saw it popping up on YouTube:

I mean, just look at the thing. Completely original, 12,000 miles, black, tan interior. And look at that engine bay! This together with the 550 Maranello is the car that got me into sportscars as an 8 year old. To me, this example is absolutely stunning.

Im glad the Supra is back. Who cares about the transmission choice, gotta get with the times and the time right now is dct/auto trans. It's just quicker overall especially for drag racing. I'm sure if enough people are demanding it Toyota will make a manual version of this car, after all that's one of the things that made it popular.

NSX was at the top of that if we're talking about MSRP. Also it's not surprising that wasn't why I asked the question really, I agree with you on most of what you originally said.

Convince them of what? So the context of what I said in that line was misread by you. The general market that the car occupied had several competitors that were JDM imports of equal performance and standard. All of which were priced to the same magnitude as the Supra and climbed as well like it over time. Thus the Supra wasn't insanely over priced for the market when you compare said other cars as I did. Was it expensive in a general context to the buyer market at the time is something entirely different than what I was speaking on.

In 93, the year you said you're using, the RX-7 was 34-35k USD. The base Supra in the same year came in under that at 32k and the top line supra was 38k. If you're shopping in that segment, 3k difference isn't "so much cheaper". I don't currently know the price of the 95 RX-7 to the 95 Supra since those weren't the cars I searched original invoice and msrp on.

Okay? Is this answering a question that a posed or just making a general statement.

Yeah I mentioned that with the economic fall out of 92 in Japan, which is what most of this segment if not all was in bad shape and never going to get the prices they were seeking.

See above.

Who was indicating it did? I wasn't, can't speak for others. You made a general claim that the car was too late and too expensive for the market it occupied. I just responded to that with a few general questions on how when it did what others did. I agree it was late to the market as far as the Mk IV goes and maybe the FD. In reality it wasn't all that more expensive, and you've more or less come to agree since you didn't dispute said numbers but even went further to say those cars mentioned by me didn't sale either because they were priced around the 93 supra. I'm just showing you why Toyota in general felt that the car should be priced as such. Whether it was a good call or not wasn't something I was making a claim to or even entertaining.

Okay, my perspective wasn't about the domestics, because the domestic market at that time was clearly cheaper especially with the way grey imports were effected for one. Two I think many of these manufactured imports felt they could price cars like this because they were more advanced and better performing.

LT4 C4 wasn't around in 93...are you talking about the LT5 are you jumping to 96 production year and comparing that now?

I mean the C4 Corvette sales declined too and so did other similar domestics. It would seem that the market just wasn't good at the time which is exactly why they didn't go off buying domestics as you put it.

Perhaps it was? Or perhaps again it was because the market fell out from under. If I'm the only manufacture producing a car where all other competitors have left the U.S., what do you do? You either bring prices down to make up some kind of returned cost, or you leave as well, and since Toyota didn't leave until 2 years after everyone else did we can see what they tried.
Tell you what. You build your time machine. You go back to the mid 90s. You convince all those people who weren't buying any of these types of cars as soon as they approached $35,000 that they were supposedly priced fine compared to the (not dramatically less capable) American cars that also weren't setting sales records even as they became much better than they had been the decade prior when most of the Japanese competition was designed.
The only one that had a good year after 1992 was the RX-7, and probably only because it was brand new and at least 5 grand less than the rest of them (and yes, even more than that versus the Supra).

Then, and only then, will I be interested in placating your need to argue that is so incessant that you're misreading posts seemingly just so you can argue with them and claim things 25 years after the fact that even the media of the time said was a problem with these cars and Nissan/Mazda took pains to avoid repeating when the 350z/RX-8 came out.

Until then, how about that A90?

Last edited:
Tell you what. You build your time machine. You go back to the mid 90s. You convince all those people who weren't buying any of these types of cars as soon as they approached $35,000 that they were supposedly priced fine compared to the (not dramatically less capable) American cars that also weren't setting sales records even as they became much better than they had been the decade prior when most of the Japanese competition was designed.
The only one that had a good year after 1992 was the RX-7, and probably only because it was brand new and at least 5 grand less than the rest of them (and yes, even more than that versus the Supra).

Again why would I do that? I never said that they were priced fine for those they were selling them too. I said they were price comparably to one another as far as the market was concerned. Thus again, the Supra wasn't expensive for the market if five other cars are the same price as it. Now if the argument is that consumers found it expensive, then that is something entirely different to what I was arguing. Again never brought in domestics because one domestics weren't ever really geared on the same level as these cars unless you're looking at the higher end market like the Corvette which also wasn't selling well during the same years even if it was less expensive. I don't know why anyone would compare the Camaro or Mustang to these nor were those in the same market.

Then, and only then, will I be interested in placating your need to argue that is so incessant that you're misreading posts seemingly just so you can argue with them and claim things 25 years after the fact that even the media of the time said was a problem with these cars and Nissan/Mazda took pains to avoid repeating when the 350z/RX-8 came out.

What does your personal gripe with me have to do with the Supra? I posted asking how something that what I recall and even looking up doesn't replicate what you were saying. The irony is you're claiming misreading posts, yet you've come up with me creating some inflection on the buyers of the time that I wasn't at all saying or implying, nor plan to. My point from the start was that there were plenty of JDMs here in the U.S. around the same time that Toyota comparatively priced the mk IV, for that market which also had the Vette and also saw a price around the same.

I knew the Supra would look awesome. I kept the faith. Like Toyota were saying, I too don't see it to be a big numbers seller, but it's going to have a cult following like the GT86. Flappy paddles and all.

I'll be honest... the Toyota FT-1 we've kept seeing is alright to me. I could never really get into it looks-wise. I sort of feel the same way about this next-gen Supra, but I don't totally hate either the FT-1 or this upcoming Supra. I am intrigued with the new Supra.

Back