Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
My French murderess is already preparing her poisons and stilettos..I also have some other surprises under my sleeve. :mischievous:

GTP Gran Turismo 4 Vintage Tuner Cup

All right gentlemen (and any ladies that may show up), with Kent's blessing to use this thread for the challenge, it's time to start buckling down. Wrench every single horse and pound-foot you can out of those decades-old motors and prepare to lay down some rubber!

Tune a classic, using whatever means at your disposal short of altering the game itself. If you use Nitrous, the Track Gods will frown and smite you from the face of the earth.

You may enter ONE car in each of the following divisions. The car must be a ROAD car - no racecars or "resto-mods" - this means the Buick Special is out. The road car divisions allow S3 compound tires and harder only -- no race tires, except in the Classic Club Racers category.

Phase 1:
1963 and earlier - the REAL classics
1964-1972 - pre-Oil Crisis - the era where displacement was king

Phase 2:
1973-1980 - OIL EMBARGO! Clever engineering trumps raw power
1981-1988 - Modern Classics that presage the cars of today
Classic Club Racers - any ROAD car 1980 or earlier on R1 or R2 tires

If all goes well, we may even add a "Pure Race" category at the end of the competition to wrap things up.

Present your car when we announce that its division is accepting entrants. The divisions will be broken up to allow more concentration of judging - we're first holding the Pre-'63 and '64-'73 divisions, having them judged, then the rest of the divisions will begin. Be as creative (or as dull) with the layout of your submission as you like, but BE DETAILED - include EVERYTHING that needs to be done to the car, including desired tire compound, gearing, oil changes, etc. If your car is obscure or hard to acquire, it would be helpful to include the means to get it in your submission. Include the car's power, torque, weight, and in-game WPR (all figures from the garage menu) in your post, so judges may verify that they have built the car correctly. Make sure to perform a good all-around tuning, as you'll have no control over what track the judges will test the car on. You may suggest an ideal track in your submission, but the judges need not follow it. Title your submission "Vintage Tuner Cup Entry; (division)" - i.e. "Vintage Tuner Cup Entry; 1963 and Earlier"

Anyone may judge. All that a judge MUST do is test every car in the division he is judging, EXACTLY as specified by its builder. He may test it on any track(s) he choses, but must submit best-lap-times on at least one track. Additionally, he must provide some information regarding his impression of the car's overall feel. He will score each car out of 100 possible points. The criteria is NOT outright speed, but as stated above, the overall feel of the car - its handling characteristics, how much the tuner has improved it over stock, AND speed, relative to its WPR.

Now get to building, and let's find out what brilliant machines will see the light of day!

NOW SOLICITING JUDGING FOR PHASE TWO. DEADLINE FOR JUDGING IS WEDNESDAY, MARCH 12, AT 11:59 PM U.S. EASTERN TIME!

Kent'll need to change the title of the thread now...

I'll bet any amount of money that Greycap's Lotus Elan will make an appearance!

Perhaps I'll even get around to judging a category here...

Haha I suppose he will, although it's not strictly necessary.

I'm already entering a Lotus Elan in the 63 and Earlier division, so if the MFT model makes an appearance, we'll have an old-fashioned Mexican Standoff on our hands! :sly: Although correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Leo did the Elan, not Greycap.

does this mean we need to get the most horsepower out of a car from a % of it's base HP or just the outright most HP and torque?

VINTAGE TUNER CUP ENTRY; 1963 AND EARLIER
Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (C1) 1954
(373hp) (670.03 Nm) (2.981 WPR) (1112 kg)

53_chevy_corvette_small.jpg

Parts to Buy:

RC Exhaust
RC brakes
Brake balance controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port polish heads
Engine balancing
Race computer chip
FC Suspension
FC Gearbox
Triple Clutch
RC Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction stage 3
Rigidity increase
Oil change
New rims (recommended, but optional)

Settings:

Brake Balance: 4/6

Suspension
Spring rate: 5.0/6.5
Ride Height: 112/112
Damper (bound): 4/3
Ramper (rebound): 8/6
Camber: 2.5/2.0
Toe: 0/-2
Stabilser: 4/5

Gear Ratios: First set autoset, then set each individual gear ratio
Autoset: 20
1st: 1.867
2nd: 1.210
3rd: 0.913
4th: 0.727
5th: 0.588
Final: 4.000

LSD
Initial Torque: 5
Acceleration: 40
Deceleration: 5

All driving aids 0

Lap Record at Grand Valley Speedway: 1.53.437

Description: The most controllable car I've ever made, giving more throttle may be the answer to any understeer you're having at times. This car is much faster than many cars with 300hp more. You can even drive it at Nurburgring without a moment's hesitation. The coveted C1 Corvette is here.

Why bring a pickup truck to a car race?

What, where, who brought a pick-up truck? All I see so far is a car that was designed to be a sport's car in an era that technology wasn't great. Plus they had to keep costs down. I watched a DVD on the Corvette the other day.

Correction, the C1 Corvette was a completely custom chassis and fibreglass body that used the engine out of a family car of the time (possibly with enhancements) I don't know where this pick-up truck stuff comes from.

does this mean we need to get the most horsepower out of a car from a % of it's base HP or just the outright most HP and torque?

The criteria of judging doesn't take into account sheer power - merely the overall "feel" of the car. A factor to take into account though is how well the tuner has USED the power he's put in his car - how well it's geared for balance between tracks of differing lengths, and how quick it is in relation to its power-to-weight ratio.

so when is the challenge officially starting?

Oh, around about yesterday ;) The first 2 categories are running now, '63 and earlier and '64-'73 are both running. Get to entries everyone. By the way, I'm going to judge the '64-'73 category.:dopey:

Totally off the subject of the classic car cup (which I'm glad to see up and running)...

My Civic as tuned after the contest went through settings adjustments finally and broke 2'10 at GVS. I've now run the stage 2 Civic down to 2'09.6. 👍
That's about all I'm going to get out of it but average times seem to be in the low 2'10, high 2'09 area. :cheers:

Good on ya, it's always good when someone can improve their car after time. It's also good when involvement in things like this improve your driving. I was able to beat my own Monaro's best time by 0.6sec the other day.
Back on the classics though- who has the courage to challenge my Vette :mischievous:

I need to detune some of my test cars, and check the suspension setups.. but they'll be here within few days..

hmm i have chosen an interestin car...Ginetta G4...hard to control...understeer problems ATM and traction too...its a hand full but I am working on it...i was going to do the Alfa Sprint Speciale but it is in the same boat.

Both the Ginetta and the Sprint Speciale would be ambitious choices for sure! They can be a serious handful if not driven with extreme care. Though I'd say the S.S., of the two, is slightly better, as I recall.

hmmmm....well...i might have to have a go at this, but i havent built a car with this in mind before. Excpect to see my evil creation over the next few days.

Hmm, Shelby Mustang GT350R '65 anyone?

Yeah, that's one of the no-contest cars I was expecting to see.
I'm not sure what the years of the contest are but at the moment I remember a cutoff at something like '61. If that's the case I expect to see the Jaguar E-type in as a no-contest entrant as well.
I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

In any case, after reading the last few comments I can confidently say there will be no judging for me... I don't have the cars I used to have (recently cleaned out the garage again) and cars like the Alfa SS just didn't make it into my garage. There's no way I'm going to go back and win it again so with one car I can't test there's no way I could be fair- in other words, I don't think I could judge this cup even if I wanted to. :ouch:

Oh, my bad. I'll bet any amount of money that Leonidae's Lotus Elan will show.
Put some money on my Europa too and you'll win.

What I'm going to enter, based on the current plans:

1900-1963: Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
1964-1973: Lotus Europa Special '71
1974-1980: Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR '74
1981-1988: RUF BTR '86 or CTR '87
1900-1980, Race class: Probably something big and powerful. I haven't decided yet.

Another thing, I think it isn't wise to judge the tuned car versus the stock car. That will only lead to a huge advantage on some cars that can take silly amounts of extra power. Better results might be achieved by tuning parts, default setup versus tuning parts, custom setup as it would take away the advantage got from the hardware and bring up the actual work made by the person who set the car up. Everyone can bolt on the parts but not everyone can make the most out of them.

'63 and under- Chevrolet Corvette '63 (C2)
'64-'73- Plymouth Barracuda '71
'74-'80- Renault 5 Turbo 80 (win the Tahiti Rally easy)
'81-'88- Buick Gran National '87

Another thing, I think it isn't wise to judge the tuned car versus the stock car. That will only lead to a huge advantage on some cars that can take silly amounts of extra power. Better results might be achieved by tuning parts, default setup versus tuning parts, custom setup as it would take away the advantage got from the hardware and bring up the actual work made by the person who set the car up. Everyone can bolt on the parts but not everyone can make the most out of them.

that is actually an excellent idea Greycap. Seeing as I should have the time no problem this go-round I will be judging all of the categories, and much more extensively this time. Though I think I will still test the stock cars mainly to see why parts were added, not all parts require independent tuning of their settings, so perhaps a three pronged judging attempt on multiple tracks.

Back