Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
hehehee.. my pre-70's list is getting longer and it has some pretty damn impressive cars.. they handle like dream. I'm not going to include Isuzu 117 Coupe or Bellet GT-R, they have bit too peaky engines for their weight, which will disrupt the driving experience. they'd be oh so fast though.. I'm still working on them, giving some more power, roll cage etc, or detuning them.. and I have this hunch that 300SL-R and Jaguar E-type both need less power.:scared: I mean, 400bhp+ through 60's suspension?! :eek: either ridiculously long gears or lower power and handling that is NOT dictated by power..

This far I've tested and adjusted

Toyota 2000GT-S : this car will bring trouble to anyone who chooses 300SL

Mazda 110S: rotary power! handles sweetly too.

Nissan Fairlady 2000 (SR311): be scared.. be very scared.. :mischievous:

Toyota Celica 200GT: oh so sweet handling. Old japanese cars just shine in this department.. btw, this car, being YM '70, will this be in the pre-70's department or..?

I managed to tame the full-powered E-type.. nickname? oh, nothing describing.. try "Hellcat".. :mischievous: and if I need to, I will do the same trick to 300SL and 2kGT. ;)

edit: tamed the full powered 300SLR too.. now I have 2 400bhp+ vintage monsters on the garage, ready to demolish the competition.. I think I can hear C1's pushrods bending from fear. :mischievous: after all, my cars are able to do steady 2'02-2'04 @ GVS

I managed to tame the full-powered E-type.. nickname? oh, nothing describing.. try "Hellcat".. :mischievous: and if I need to, I will do the same trick to 300SL and 2kGT. ;)

edit: tamed the full powered 300SLR too.. now I have 2 400bhp+ vintage monsters on the garage, ready to demolish the competition.. I think I can hear C1's pushrods bending from fear. :mischievous: after all, my cars are able to do steady 2'02-2'04 @ GVS

:lol: :lol: :lol: Why is my car scared from those times? Those pushrods may be the last thing you ever see. Lets the judges decide those things though. One would hope and think that judges have enough decency to not mark me down because they think the C1 is "over glorified".

You mean CirclesCenter's 2KGT?

Just maybe. Maybe it will have a few tweaks.

GT40: Not scared in the least. Too damn much torque for sports tires, powerband is dead at 5 grand (even though redline is at 5500 or 6k), and it handles like most musclecars; it's a plow horse.

Although on race tires it's not a bad candidate for the Club Racers category. I've been toying with the idea of a pseudo-reimagining of the AAR 'Cuda to enter there.

Club Racer- C3 Vette, my only other car I'm entering so I can judges the rest.
Who's judging the '63 and earlier category other than Vander?

Just maybe. Maybe it will have a few tweaks.

GT40: Not scared in the least. Too damn much torque for sports tires, powerband is dead at 5 grand (even though redline is at 5500 or 6k), and it handles like most musclecars; it's a plow horse.

mine is fun as snot. mine is MEANT to be driven hard not feather fluffed but have the snot kicked outta it. who knows if there is a full race category i may enter the GT40
btw im still browsin and prowlin for some more rides

I want to judge the '63 and older category! If I can't enter a car because of that, so be it, my REAL classic was just an I Need A Car To Enter Here kind of thing.

I think Kent chose a wise course, offering entrants in the class the opportunity to judge when it became clear that there weren't that many judges in some categories - I think that's the course we'll take here. If it becomes apparent 7 days before the judging deadline that there's going to be a lack of feedback, we'll open judging up to entrants in their own classes.

On another note, nobody seems to have made any objections to the proposed change of the '74-80 division to '73-80. If by tomorrow morning there aren't any serious objections, the change will take effect and I'll edit the rules to reflect it.

Now, time to get back to the Elan... just won a fresh one that I plan not to add rigidity to, to see if this helps cure its tendency to leap into the air over tall curbing. It's VERY light, already softly suspended, and won't take a wing though, so I think that's likely just something about the car I have to accept.

<edit> Or maybe I don't! Without the rigidity, it still isn't perfect over curbing, but MUCH better. Settings updated. And Leo, I'll try not to grin too wide as I sail by your 400HP 2'00+ cars at GVS, on my way to a 1'57 flat <cough>in a car that performs in the game relatively correctly<coughcough, staring at the Vette> :sly:

Well... You have the same or better power/weight ratio as Leo's 400hp cars, most likely.

600kg vs 1200kg (est). 400hp (est) vs 210.

EDIT: GT40: You WILL have traction problems, and drivers not using a manual will wind up complaining about lack of power. (As will people who stretch the motor to the limiter)

Granted - the kicker is that the Elan can only safely do just upwards of 150 mph without becoming extremely unstable. I'm sure Leo's are capable of pulling 165 or 170 without breaking much of a sweat.

It's all in the handling, baby! :sly:

Gosh darn it, maybe in stock trim the C1 performs better than it can but you give me one reason why it can't be as good as it is modified this way and I'll tell you why it can.

I'm just giving you a good-natured hard time, really. :sly:

But in all seriousness, if you want to know my justification for why I think the C1 is given an unfair shake in GT4, here it is. No matter how good a tune is or how excellent the parts are, a car is still the car that it is, to be philosophical. The chassis is more or less the same, and the drivetrain components all still sit in the same spot and still weigh close to the same, no matter how lightweight they are. So basically, as the forces a car is subjected to remain the same (or increase in cases of large power jumps) no matter its build, it's still going to have a proportional natural response to those forces. Racing parts go a long way to counteract these forces, but in GT4, the way cars are modeled, a car that has flaws stock will almost never shed all of these flaws even when VERY well tuned. An ungainly understeery Audi Quattro will still understeer even on GT4's best suspension set to an ideal range. Likewise, the GT4 stock platform of the C1 Vette is what forms the basis for the tuned car to be so spectacularly good. And it's pretty much objectively true that the real-life stock C1 Vette was NOT a very good car, by any performance standard. Its contemporary, the 300SL, by contrast was phenomenal in reality and racked up race-win after race-win, but compare the handling and composure of both cars in GT4 both stock and (especially) tuned form, and the 300SL pales.

That said, the C1 Vette is still loads of fun to drive within the context of the game, and should be fierce competition in its division! 👍

But who's to say that the C1 Vette chassis itself wasn't good, if it had a truly sloopy suspension, there's the crappy gearbox it had, and a sluggish engine may have masked a really good small lightweight chassis. With thos bad parts replaced isn't it possible to bring out the chassis's true nature. Let's not forget also that the six cylinder engine isn't small, I'm sure with the right things done to it it could be lethal. And GM sixes are torquey, my brother's car has less than 200kw and probably close to 500Nm of torque, this Vette has 373hp which isn't spectacular but the torque that goes with that figure is good. I don't know if the Vette really had a good chassis, but it was designed for sports purposes by the largest car manufacturer in the world, so why not? That's my 2 cents.

I can see your point, but the fact remains that if the chassis WERE great, in an era where the rule was "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday", it would have been competed far more extensively than it was. At its release, the Corvette was basically a style statement - it was conceived by GM in response to U.S. soldiers coming home from WW2 who'd fallen in love with the sexy Jags, MG's and the like across the pond. No such U.S.-built car existed at the time so it was pushed through production relatively quickly to fill a market gap, not to produce a true thoroughbred sportscar. It wasn't until the C2 that the 'Vette became a car worth competing on the world stage.

The essential point is this - cars that would have squashed it like a bug in its day either bone-stock or in race spec (i.e. 300SL, Jag E-Type) don't hold a candle to it in GT4. Although I think RJ has designs on disproving me with a 300SL. :sly:

Ah yes, I see now. Still, it is what it is in GT4 at the moment, and mine is going to win :sly: Seriously though, you think the AM Morrison C1 Vette in GT5 based off the C5 chassis will have the same driving physics as this normal old one in GT4 because they'll do it right next time?

LOL who knows... I have yet to play any iteration of GT5 except that in-store PS3 demo that features just a few cars on the Eiger track.

I actually have a feeling that this C1 is so good because its basic programming may have been neglected in updates from previous games. I don't know if it was in GT3, I never played it, but the sensation of driving the C1 in GT4 reminds me much more of a GT2 car. That's just baseless speculation though.

Same here, in-store demo only so far, can't wait for the full GT5, couldn't be bothered with the demos much, they're just demos.
Hey, have you ever found another old convertible that performs like ours, I've been looking and every other single one is way slower. Did like driving the Alfa Romeo Spider though '66 model. Nice. If I wasn't so content on judging I'd enter every category, there are some really nice cars around.

Hey, have you ever found another old convertible that performs like ours, I've been looking and every other single one is way slower. Did like driving the Alfa Romeo Spider though '66 model. Nice. If I wasn't so content on judging I'd enter every category, there are some really nice cars around.

The Elan is pretty much my favorite convertible from its era ... possibly the whole game, although the S2000 and the Miata are close competition.

As far as classics go the Fairlady 2000 is relatively good with some work - I know Leo mentioned it as a possibility - but I don't think it's got the power-to-weight to keep it in as close contention as the Elan or the Vette since its handling is no better than the other two, and its lap times are slower. Otherwise, yeah, the Alfa Spider is pretty much the only other one I'd be bothered with. The early Honda S cars aren't bad, but they're just ... so ... slow ...

Well... You have the same or better power/weight ratio as Leo's 400hp cars, most likely.

600kg vs 1200kg (est). 400hp (est) vs 210.

EDIT: GT40: You WILL have traction problems, and drivers not using a manual will wind up complaining about lack of power. (As will people who stretch the motor to the limiter)

I do have Elan myself, but I'm not sure if I want to enter it. I've used it bit too much.. but Alpine will be seen there for sure. :mischievous:

And I believe that both of my 400bhp+ cars can see times under 2'0x, it just takes patience, cool mind, and good connection to the Force. They both weight +-1100 kg, and have around 500nm+ torque, top speed beyond 250km/h /155mph, and those ancient suspensions are doing good job at delivering the power.. and still being driveable. my smaller4, less powerful car will probably handle better though. The thing with that tiny Lotus is that you can floor it anywhere, even on corners because there's no weight, power or torque. almost a cheater car then, like C1. ;)

there are other, faster small cars that are even lighter.. they just need to be tamed.. like Ginetta G4.. :mischievous: I remember reaching speeds above 170mph in that thing.. without NOS.

Back