Under $25K Sports Coupe Shown! YES, Pontiac is Making It! (Photos and such)

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 72 comments
The Toyota would be a Scion.

The Solstice has personality in spades in person, the Coupe just makes me lust as opposed to appreciate the car.

The G5 is meh, G6 RWD small sedan, that is interesting.

115 hp, maybe... most likely, actually.

Personality of roadkill? Depends. Underpowered, undersprung car that's got jillions of fans... Mazda Miata. :grin:

It's not the big numbers that generate fun... it's the balance. If they brought in a small 800 kg coupe or hatchback with a mere 1.5 liters and measly 195-series tires with no grip, it could seriously be more fun than a big 1200+ kg car with 215s. :D

Seriously. The most fun you can have in any car is in a go-kart. And that isn't even a sewing machine motor... that's more like a pool-pump. :lol:

JCE-> I do understand that you're a Ford fan. But like YSS is to GM, I have to open up my opinions based on the way I drove these cars.

I'm going to strongly disagree here. The Mustang GT pulls really well in the low rev range--and in my opinion feels like it has MORE than 300bhp.
^ Unfortunately, that wasn't the case when I drove the S197. Yes it has the pull only when yun get a chance to peek at your speedo, but you don't feel the pull. Its just like stomping the pedal of a Lincoln Town Car (I drove that one too) from a light.

I drive them on a weekly basis since I work for Ford, to me the GT feels more powerful than the LS1 powered 2004 GTO.
^ Was that a 5.7L? The one that I peeled off was the 6.0L.

Thing is, the '04 GTO has more power but is slower to 60 than the new GT me thinks.
^ Figures on paper are just that, on paper. The most important thing for me, is the way the car handles, and how it behave/responds. Straight-line speed is not really my top priority in a car.

BT-> I've heard from World Car Fans that the next AE86-II will be a Scion. That's stupid if you ask me. But I don't know. :indiff:

However, the big difference between the Solstice and the others is that the Pontiac will just be a two-seater (AFAIK),
That's more of a disadvantage to Pontiac than it is to Hyundai and Ford.
YSSMAN
But performance wise, they should actually be shockingly close. Especially with the Pontiac's weight advantage, furthermore the decreasing power disadvantage.
Only if Pontiac lightens to coupe compared to the roadster, which is hardly ever done. We don't know how fast the Hyundai is, but if Pontiac doesn't price this delicately (lets say a grand under the equivalent Mustang/Tiburon) there will be a problem when the Mustang and Tibby walk the comparative model (V6 versus I4, V8 versus GXP I4). I know they are different cars for different drivers and whatnot, and that the Pontiac would walk the Mustang (if not the Tiburon) in handling. But purely on paper the Mustang and Tibby would be better buys (and I'd say most people buy cars by specs anyways).

JCE-> I do understand that you're a Ford fan. But like YSS is to GM, I have to open up my opinions based on the way I drove these cars.

I quite understand.

^ Unfortunately, that wasn't the case when I drove the S197. Yes it has the pull only when yun get a chance to peek at your speedo, but you don't feel the pull. Its just like stomping the pedal of a Lincoln Town Car (I drove that one too) from a light.

There is no comparison to a 239bhp 50-ton boat such as the Town Car and the Mustang GT. Seriously...

^ Was that a 5.7L? The one that I peeled off was the 6.0L.

Yes. The 2005-2006 GTO with the LS2 is a MUCH different (and better) animal than the LS1 powered 2004 model. Granted I'd take any of them in a millisecond.

^ Figures on paper are just that, on paper. The most important thing for me, is the way the car handles, and how it behave/responds. Straight-line speed is not really my top priority in a car.

No, you're right, it really only matters as much as a grain of sand (speaking of paper numbers). Our opinion differs, and thats perfectly acceptable. I still think the Mustang GT has really good low down grunt--which when I drive them around corners at speed they accelerate out of them quite nicely--erm...with the backend out anyway...which I prefer...

BT-> I've heard from World Car Fans that the next AE86-II will be a Scion. That's stupid if you ask me. But I don't know. :indiff:

Stupid how? Most drift idiots who think the AE86 is a great car are Scion's target market. A rear-drive car kind of gives Scion some credibility, too.

Only if Pontiac lightens to coupe compared to the roadster, which is hardly ever done.

Audi 2.0T quattro auto coupe: 3549 lbs.
Audi 2.0T quattro auto convertible: 3935 lbs.

Nissan 350Z Enthusiast manual coupe: 3919 lbs.
Nissan 350Z Enthusiast manual convertible: 4133 lbs.

...aaaannd...

Porsche Boxster S: 3594 lbs.
Porsche Cayman S: 2976 lbs.

So what exactly were you thinking? Backwards, I think it got you.

Audi 2.0T quattro auto coupe: 3549 lbs.
Audi 2.0T quattro auto convertible: 3935 lbs.

Nissan 350Z Enthusiast manual coupe: 3919 lbs.
Nissan 350Z Enthusiast manual convertible: 4133 lbs.

...aaaannd...

Porsche Boxster S: 3594 lbs.
Porsche Cayman S: 2976 lbs.

So what exactly were you thinking? Backwards, I think it got you.
The only one of which that counts is the Cayman. None of those except the Porsche twins came out with the convertible first and then had a coupe developed out of the convertible.

No way the Boxster S weighs 3,594 lbs. Someone made a typo. And the other numbers look like gross weight, not curb weights.

But most verts are based on a coupe body and therefore need structural strengthening when getting cut, lest the car wobble like a wet noodle. Mustangs, 350Z and 335 verts are much heavier than the original coupes.

Some verts are designed as verts from the get-go and their coupe counterparts are only slightly more heavy. The Boxster, Corvette and Z4 are good examples. My Z4 M Roadster is actually a few pounds lighter than a similarly optioned M Coupe.

M

No way the Boxster S weighs 3,594 lbs. Someone made a typo. And the other numbers look like gross weight, not curb weights.

But most verts are based on a coupe body and therefore need structural strengthening when getting cut, lest the car wobble like a wet noodle. Mustangs, 350Z and 335 verts are much heavier than the original coupes.

Some verts are designed as verts from the get-go and their coupe counterparts are only slightly more heavy. The Boxster, Corvette and Z4 are good examples. My Z4 M Roadster is actually a few pounds lighter than a similarly optioned M Coupe.

M

Listen to this guy, he hit the nail on the head.

The only one of which that counts is the Cayman. None of those except the Porsche twins came out with the convertible first and then had a coupe developed out of the convertible.

I was simply referring to the line:

Only if Pontiac lightens to coupe compared to the roadster, which is hardly ever done.

You didn't mention which one was done first. Besides the fact that convertibles are rarely turned into coupes (it's almost always the other way around), it doesn't make sense that removing all the moving steel parts and replacing it with a fixed steel roof won't result in a lighter car, even if they don't have to change the chassis itself.

You didn't mention which one was done first.
I certainly would think it would have been implied in this case. And anyways,
harrytuttle
it doesn't make sense that removing all the moving steel parts and replacing it with a fixed steel roof won't result in a lighter car, even if they don't have to change the chassis itself.
That was explicitly what I was referring to: the removing of the added chassis stiffness that a convertible would have over its coupe brethren if the convertible is made into a coupe.

Okay, it hasn't been officially announced yet, but guess whats coming to production?

solstice_targa.png

We'll see what comes of it, but I hope its as sexy as the concept was...

pontiacsolsticecoupevz9.jpg

Hopefully they've done some serious work on it over the Roadster version, which, when well sorted, is only borderline communicative.

I don't know, I just find that I'm not the only one bashing the Solstice on being not the most responsive and involving sportscar.

Hopefully they've done some serious work on it over the Roadster version, which, when well sorted, is only borderline communicative.

Agreed. Really only the GXP satisfies the real drivers, or at least that has been my understanding of it. If the rigidity is at all increased and they've managed to swap out a few parts for GXP-spec bits, I suspect that it'll move easily.

Still, cool to see a sub-$25K targa on the market again. I don't think we've had one since the Camaro/Firebird (well, t-tops) left the market in 2002...

You know what would be really cool? If they called it a Banshee, to appeal to the 4 people who know why that would be really cool.

It would be very awesome indeed... Although a Banshee would require a V8. Then everyone would just be like "Why don't you just call it the Firebird?"

Nah. The Banshee was all about medium power combined with very low weight in a Corvette-sales stealing shape and performance. This would be perfect for that if they would slap a DI V6 in it. They should have called the Solstice a Banshee in the first place.

There have been V6 mules of the Kappa cars already. One wonders what a 300 BHP DIG V6 Kappa would be like... Would definitely put the Z4 3.0 on notice, certainly giving the Boxster a wag of the finger as well. Although, the TT would be on the Treat-Down as well. Maybe.

Thats only if they do it. That may have to wait until the Kappa production moves to Bowling Green...

The 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe​

sols11.jpg

sols8.jpg

sols6.jpg

sols5.jpg

sols10.jpg

...Nothing really major to note other than the coupe stuff. Engines and transmissions are the same, offered in the same Solstice and Solstice GXP trim levels. It does get new seats, and the roof only weighs about 31 lbs... I do wonder what the overall weight savings are?

Otherwise, a very nice-looking car. I'm interested to hear about the overall reception of the car...

-> Hmm, looks claustrophobic inside, but although it seem more practical than the roadster. Not bad at all, nothing to be oogley about it. I may think the difference between the targa and the roadster maybe 60-100 +/- lbs. Nice execution by GM there.

-> My final word is nah, I'd rather wait for the Sky/GT/G2X version of this Solstice. :indiff:

Back