Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 3,000 comments
You know what's lazy? Driving

Back in the day, we had to walk.

The Coach Dancing GIF by St. Paul Saints

I never knew motorcycles could be had in an auto, well there you go.
Possibly showing my age as every bike I've ridden has been manual.
They're far from commonplace. Honestly, manual on a bike is very different from manual in a car.

Edit: Of course you'd know, having ridden. It's not the same inconvenience that it can be in a car.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate a little further on this?
I think I was mainly getting at what I followed up with. It's been years, but I used to ride daily, even in heavy traffic, and the hassles of stop-and-go were better than halved by virtue of lane splitting.

The only thing I really didn't like was gridlock on an incline, but it was so rare.

Last edited:
I think I was mainly getting at what I followed up with. It's been years, but I used to ride daily, even in heavy traffic, and the hassles of stop-and-go were better than halved by virtue of lane splitting.

The only thing I really didn't like was gridlock on an incline, but it was so rare.
Ah ok gotcha 👍 , in my mind I was just thinking of the interaction with the bike.

You know pull in clutch (at least for take off), flick the gear lever with you foot etc in comparison to a car of press clutch with foot and shift gear with hand.

Ah ok gotcha 👍 , in my mind I was just thinking of the interaction with the bike.

You know pull in clutch (at least for take off), flick the gear lever with you foot etc in comparison to a car of press clutch with foot and shift gear with hand.
Yeah, no, that's all obviously different.

I never knew motorcycles could be had in an auto, well there you go.
Possibly showing my age as every bike I've ridden has been manual.
Ignoring scooter, some high end models come with auto gearboxes. They have their uses on bigger bikes although are not common on a wider market.

I am on the cusp of a major, fundamental reversal. After listening to some viewpoints on this, I recently decided to force myself to try things this way to settle the matter once and for all. It goes against every fibre of my being, it changes my entire outlook of life that I have had for the past 31 years. I am close to a complete switch in polarity.

Having milk before water in a cup of tea actually does taste better. I feel dirty.

I am on the cusp of a major, fundamental reversal. After listening to some viewpoints on this, I recently decided to force myself to try things this way to settle the matter once and for all. It goes against every fibre of my being, it changes my entire outlook of life that I have had for the past 31 years. I am close to a complete switch in polarity.

Having milk before water in a cup of tea actually does taste better. I feel dirty.
I'll perform an experiment on your behalf.

I don't drink tea but make plenty of cups for my wife and apparently make a good cup whatever that means.
I've always been in the camp of water first but will mix it up over the next few days and check for any feedback.

Will report back.

I don't drink tea but make plenty of cups for my wife and apparently make a good cup whatever that means.
I've always been in the camp of water first but will mix it up over the next few days and check for any feedback.

Will report back.
Make sure you don't tell her about your experiment so you don't influence the data. :D

Will report back.
You have to be careful - the tea looks extremely milky until you dip or dunk the teabag a few times after a minute or so. Once you've given the teabag a squeeze, it's ready for stirring.

I've been making it either way for years, never noticed any difference.

Apparently the reasoning behind 'always water before milk' is because the water flows easier through the tea bag than milky water does. Makes sense, but if you leave it in long enough you're going to get the same results.

Milk first then water? I guess the milk reacts with the tea first, then the water finishes the job...
m76
And as a physically healthy and able individual you have an obligation to society to try to be a contributing member.
You're going to take vigilante justice against me and shoot me for this, but according to #YOLO this is not the case. You contribute to society because you want to.

Last edited:
I've been making it either way for years, never noticed any difference.

Apparently the reasoning behind 'always water before milk' is because the water flows easier through the tea bag than milky water does. Makes sense, but if you leave it in long enough you're going to get the same results.
I remember James May once talked about the chemistry behind it and he agreed that milk first was superior. It was something to the effect of having milk at the bottom of the tea helps spread the chemical properties of the milk better instead of putting it only on the top layer. Milk at the bottom is better at counteracting the tannins in the tea than milk at the top.

Stirring doesn't seem to affect the chemistry of this, only the colour; you need milk first to offset the tannins irrespective of how much you stir it.

That is what is claimed.

Last edited:
You have to be careful - the tea looks extremely milky until you dip or dunk the teabag a few times after a minute or so. Once you've given the teabag a squeeze, it's ready for stirring.
Right then, I've been going the milk first route for the last few days without telling her.

Zero feedback so take from that what you will, I think the first few attempts I got the ratio wrong and added too much milk due to not being able to judge the amount as the tea changed colour.
I'll try a few more days then tell her and see what she says.

Right then, I've been going the milk first route for the last few days without telling her.

Zero feedback so take from that what you will, I think the first few attempts I got the ratio wrong and added too much milk due to not being able to judge the amount as the tea changed colour.
I'll try a few more days then tell her and see what she says.
No difference indicates no worse.

Exactly my conclusion also, was hoping for an improvement though.
Will continue for a few days before asking her. 👍
Prediction:

You say you've done milk first and she says "You know, I thought it tasted a bit different but I didn't want to mention it."

This would invalidate the results of the experiment.

Sonic Lost World 3DS is a pretty good game.

It isn't flawless, Frozen Factory Zone 3 is one of the worst Sonic levels period, Special Stages are among the worse, and the story tries to be impactful like older Sonic games but also some Saturday Morning adventure like Sonic Colours and Generations which this fusion leads to the whole thing feeling lost

But I never understand why the 3DS specifically is regarded as a terrible Sonic game, yet worse than the Wii U/PC version. 3DS version control scheme was much more consistent (you didn't lose speed by going sideways), there was less gimmick levels, Wisps played a lot better and encourages replayability, Parkour was a lot more fluid and more consistent, Bosses were still not good but better and I overall enjoyed playing through this game. RCs were a fun mechanic for exploitation and doing really dumb skips in levels the game didn't intend (mostly, I found a 5 Ring doing it once so that one felt intentional)

Back