Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 3,000 comments
Rare steak is so overrated and not all but most people I know who eat steak never shut up about it. Dullards.

I don't like it rare, I don't eat it well done, how you eat yours I don't care so shut up and leave me alone.
The same thing hit me when I was looking forward to a streak during lunch at a chain restaurant. Then it came out and I was thinking meh and was generally underwhelmed.

I do enjoy a good steak, but when cooking myself or at a typical restaurant it's not an extraordinary experience.

I'm more of a burger person. It's generally more flavorful, more difficult to screw up, and more versatile. Though somebody did knock me once saying burgers are the cheap man's steak.

As far as I’m concerned, a steak should be easy to cut. Not so over cooked that it’s dry and tough, but not so rare that a serrated knife struggles to cleanly cut through the flesh.

I appreciate that talking about death and accepting it can be difficult about people to whom you were close but...

"passing away" is an awful euphamism. They're dead. They've died.

Having it on a gravestone is fine because they usually have soft, poetic language but not in speech.

I appreciate that talking about death and accepting it can be difficult about people to whom you were close but...

Having it on a gravestone is fine because they usually have soft, poetic language but not in speech.

Still far better than lazy, empty, token, text-speak-esque "RIP" posts.

I'm with you on this one.
I find passed even worse and cringe when I hear it.

"Did you hear Jonno passed?"

Passed what? A truck finally in his car.....

I imagine it was originally used so a discusion of someones death could be done in front of small children and so avoiding unnecessary upset.

This seemed unpopular amongst the folks I talked to at work and my friends, but I prefer Kinder Bueno over Ferrero Rocher. It's basically the same thing but without the nuts, which I think makes it taste much better.

This seemed unpopular amongst the folks I talked to at work and my friends, but I prefer Kinder Bueno over Ferrero Rocher. It's basically the same thing but without the nuts, which I think makes it taste much better.
I’m in 100% agreement. Bueno comes in multiple chocolate types too and, critically for me, it’s vastly more value for money.

Do Ferrero Roches come in anything but milk chocolate?

I had a Kinder Bueno once, a long time ago, it tasted like industrial byproduct from a polystyrene moulding factory dipped in chocolate flavouring. I can see why the ambassador chooses not to serve Bueno's at his receptions, though I'm not a fan of Ferrero Rocher either.

edit:... or chocolate actually, being honest.

Last edited:
I had a Kinder Bueno once, a long time ago, it tasted like industrial byproduct from a polystyrene moulding factory dipped in chocolate flavouring. I can see why the ambassador chooses not to serve Bueno's at his receptions, though I'm not a fan of Ferrero Rocher either.

edit:... or chocolate actually, being honest.
I have a student who doesn’t each chocolate. I’m still struggling to understand it.
Chocolate is a staple.

Just reminded me there’s a slither of Dairy Milk in my fridge.

I’m in 100% agreement. Bueno comes in multiple chocolate types too and, critically for me, it’s vastly more value for money.

We also get them in dark chocolate in Canada. Not sure which other markets also get this.

Also, while looking up an answer for your question just now, I found out that what I referred to as the "white Ferraro Rocher" is actually Raffaello. Go figure.

Edit: upon further reading, "dark chocolate Ferraro Rocher" is also a misnomer. My childhood is a lie.

Last edited:
I have a student who doesn’t each chocolate. I’m still struggling to understand it.
Chocolate is a staple.
It's not that I particularly dislike it, as much as a very small amount is more than enough to satiate any desire I have for it. I could cut it out completely and not miss it - though I habitually pick up a chocolate bar of some sort if I'm getting my lunch from a convenience store or petrol station.

In addition to the posts above, the 'chocolate' in a standard Ferrero Rocher is in fact Nutella - I often cut out the middle man and just eat Nutella instead.

I've always been disappointed by Buenos... they're too light/insubstantial for me.

We also get them in dark chocolate in Canada. Not sure which other markets also get this.

Also, while looking up an answer for your question just now, I found out that what I referred to as the "white Ferraro Rocher" is actually Raffaello. Go figure.

Edit: upon further reading, "dark chocolate Ferraro Rocher" is also a misnomer. My childhood is a lie.
Raffaello also have coconut on the outside instead of chopped hazelnut, so they're a no-go for me...

Last edited:
If we're talking about the merits of small but expensive chocolate spheres, then chuck those Ferrero Rocher in the bin and get Lindt Lindor. Vastly superior in taste and texture and supposed luxuriousness.

If we're talking about the merits of small but expensive chocolate spheres, then chuck those Ferrero Rocher in the bin and get Lindt Lindor. Vastly superior in taste and texture and supposed luxuriousness.
I smashed more than my fair share of them at Christmas.
I was gifted several large supplies of them. The white choc ones are to die for.

Plus, the cute tin they came in makes for excellent cheese storage.

My waistline was happy when my airline stopped offering these in their clubs, but my taste buds felt otherwise.:)

We keep a little bag or two around the house, but they don't last long. Even the white chocolate is pretty good consolation prize.

I do admit to being on a Reece's Pieces kick lately, which I'd forgotten about for about 35-40 years. I feel I should get some protein out of my sweet tooth's bad habits.

Last edited:

They sold the dark chocolate bar in the local grocery store, so I tried it out. It's pretty good, but I think at 55% I would call that just chocolate. But over here probably anything that isn't milk chocolate is considered dark.

They sold the dark chocolate bar in the local grocery store, so I tried it out. It's pretty good, but I think at 55% I would call that just chocolate. But over here probably anything that isn't milk chocolate is considered dark.
The mainstream “dark” chocolates tend to cater for a wider market and seems to tend to steer away from going too dark so as not to put off the youth market who may not have developed a taste for purer chocolate.
That’s just my speculation.

90% is an acquired taste and I would liken it to coffee proclivity that is only really an adult thing. Why cut out half of your market with unpalatable chocolate?

The mainstream “dark” chocolates tend to cater for a wider market and seems to tend to steer away from going too dark so as not to put off the youth market who may not have developed a taste for purer chocolate.
That’s just my speculation.

90% is an acquired taste and I would liken it to coffee proclivity that is only really an adult thing. Why cut out half of your market with unpalatable chocolate?
I eat an 87% Ghiarardelli Dark Chocolate square every evening mainly for the anti oxidant benefit and it tastes pretty good to me. Certainly not as bitter as a lot of people say dark chocolate is.

On Amazon there is a UK chocolate assortment that I keep meaning to order just to see if I can tell this big difference there is supposed to be between American and British chocolate. It came up again on one of the Youtube reaction channels that I subscribe to when they described American chocolate as having a "vomit" taste to it.

I personally think 70% is about right for 'dark' chocolate. I've had the 90% stuff before and i find it doesn't taste too bitter, i can handle that, i just find it to taste really 'dry' oddly enough.

Back in the dim, dark and distant past, when i were a lad, Cadbury's Bournville was the only dark chocolate bar you were likely to come across. It's labelled Bourneville Classic now, but that's only 36% cocoa solids and isn't really a good introduction to dark chocolate.

I eat an 87% Ghiarardelli Dark Chocolate square every evening mainly for the anti oxidant benefit and it tastes pretty good to me. Certainly not as bitter as a lot of people say dark chocolate is.

On Amazon there is a UK chocolate assortment that I keep meaning to order just to see if I can tell this big difference there is supposed to be between American and British chocolate. It came up again on one of the Youtube reaction channels that I subscribe to when they described American chocolate as having a "vomit" taste to it.
Herseys taste like vomit. Mainly the aftertaste that I’ve experienced. It doesn’t stop me eating it.

Recently I’ve have a good selection of Malaysian milk chocolate. It puts American chocolates to shame.

I’m still a Dairy Milk fanboy though.

I had some Swiss gear recently that was white choc raspberry cut from a slab. It comes cracked from the slab and is ridiculously moreish.

Sad to say there’s no producer over here and I only get it from my wife’s European clients.

1CA78DE6-BAB3-4552-8978-473BA066810B.jpeg

I personally think 70% is about right for 'dark' chocolate. I've had the 90% stuff before and i find it doesn't taste too bitter, i can handle that, i just find it to taste really 'dry' oddly enough.

Back in the dim, dark and distant past, when i were a lad, Cadbury's Bournville was the only dark chocolate bar you were likely to come across. It's labelled Bourneville Classic now, but that's only 36% cocoa solids and isn't really a good introduction to dark chocolate.
I always booked Bournville as plain chocolate. The kind used in baking. That probably shows how long it’s been since I’ve had that.

I also like the Tony's Chocolonley bars but they're pricey, at like $4-5 each (or more at airport shops). They supposedly set a good fair trade standard and I know that probably feels like virtue signaling, but it's a nice gesture and response. And it's so very smooth...

Haven't seen the dark chocolate yet in stores, but their site doesn't seem to mention one. (?)

Last edited:
On the topic of Ferrero Rocher, I am surprised it isn't overshadowed by Rondnoir. Far better and more recognizable. Also ruby chocolate should have been more popular than white by now at least a gajillion times.

Older adults drink red wine.
Younger adults drink white wine.

I don't know where the threshold is but it exists.
I wrote this post when I was 27 and 4 years later I stand by it. The threshold appears to be around the age of 30; I turn 32 this year and I can drink a little bit of red wine here and there whereas I avoided it completely in my 20s.

I wrote this post when I was 27 and 4 years later I stand by it. The threshold appears to be around the age of 30; I turn 32 this year and I can drink a little bit of red wine here and there whereas I avoided it completely in my 20s.
I drank red wine a few times in my early 20s, just saying.

Back