VCRC 80s MX-5 & MR2 @ Nürburgring 24hrs - Complete - Results Posted

Hi Melon what time is this GMT?

UTC = GMT
BST = GMT +1
Europe moves into Daylight Savings Time March 25th
(think someone else mentioned this)

Not sure exactly what the DST things are where you are John, but definitely take a look so you're not like me & forget about the time change! :lol:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136
Daylight Saving Time
DST starts on Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM local standard time

I'm going to keep looking for the standard, but I feel we should all use the premium, I think it would reduce lag as well
The premium and standard car are not equal. I tested and ran faster laps in the premium but the organizer wanted to stick with the standard.

Yes, believe me Conza, no part of any of my events aren't gone over with a fine tooth comb with considerations before I put them out there. Every car detail is looked at, every track tested, every timing issue tested, every aspect considered.
I do this to ensure a predictable & fair racing situation, with as little confusion, surprises, or unpleasant outcomes!

I have a few reasons for using the standard.

One of them is that I've been advised by more than one person that putting premiums & standards together in a race actually makes lag or synch problems more likely.
I have NO IDEA THE VERACITY of this.
But anything that might reduce lag is a good thing. Anything at all!
(I may do a dance, throw salt over my shoulder, or whatever! haha.)

I also put "visible damage off" because there's a chance that it does make lag less likely.
(But also because I think the visual damage looks positively ridiculous & distractingly annoying!!! The cars wind up looking like smooshed clay figures!!!)

Ahhh damn it, I'll be on holiday in Spain

Would've liked to give this a go, next time.

You lucky dog you! :P :D
The one time I schedule a race with cars newer than the Devonian Period you're on holiday. :lol: :lol:

Hi, does anyone have the cars for this race spare please. :confused:

geeky30 / geeky30 / tbd / tbd /
(Sunday And Tuesday)

I am missing both cars... :(

PSN DitQuois if you can help. I have some spare M3 CSLs if ya want one.

Edit: After an hour or so of UCD cycling I have the MX-5!

Edit 2: Got the Mister Two now I'm set for Sunday.

Colour scheme chosen.

Zorrin / DitQuois / New Sherwood Toning (Green) with Speedlab Yellow for Sunday's race at least.

Last edited:
Sent the FR to gazelle68 and wat3rm370n and I'm leaving the ps3 on with gt5 so you can send the cars. Thanks a lot!!!! 👍

miata sent 👍

Hi, does anyone have the cars for this race spare please. :confused:

geeky30 / geeky30 / tbd / tbd /
(Sunday And Tuesday)

if you still need help by sunday i can send 1 car to you ok 👍

@ gippone - MR2 has been sent 👍

Is it the standard MX5? I'd like to do this, for the Sunday one :) It is 7pm UK time right?

Yes, March 25th starts BST (DST in UK).
18:00 UTC
7pm BST (GMT+1)

I may be able to send a mx5 tomorrow to someone who hasn't gotten one. But I will post with that ability tomorrow, and we'll see who still is in need.

In meantime, here's the instructions on how to recycle UCD the fastest...

Recycle Used Car Dealership:
Enter Beginner Aspec Sunday Cup Autumn Ring Race.
Start race
Exit
Start race again
start race 5 times
(Note: do not use "restart" - must exit race and start race)
Will recycle ENTIRE UCD quickly

Geeky: FR sent so I can dupe these for you. I can't send anything until tomorrow.

You'll get them on one proviso: you have to change the colours! Both cars have fresh oil change, engine rebuild and chassis rigidity. Just need to be broken in.

Geeky: FR sent so I can dupe these for you. I can't send anything until tomorrow.

You'll get them on one proviso: you have to change the colours! Both cars have fresh oil change, engine rebuild and chassis rigidity. Just need to be broken in.

Thanks Zorrin for helping out!

BTW: Just to clarify, you meant chassis restoration. Correct?
Not chassis reinforcement - which might confuse people with "rigidity"... because sometimes people use "rigidity" to mean both things, or either... :boggled:

Just an FYI:

chassis restoration = the restoration of the body in GT Auto
(this is allowed with tuning: prohibited)

chassis reinforcement = a permanent alteration done to the car in Tuning under weight reduction
(this is not allowed under tuning prohibited)

Sign me up for Sunday and Tuesday.
Miata - Sonic Blue - Mark IV Red Rims
MR2 - British Racing Green - Black rims

Thanks mate :) , i kept getting 1990s MX5s.

I've done 2 practice stints in the Miata on GP/D, with exactly the same best lap (!): 2:00.954, the car is very well balanced and I'm sure a good wheel+manual driver can go way faster on this track. With DS3+automatic, it seems like I'm always coming out of the corners in the wrong gear. One stint with the MR2 gave a surprising 2:00.199, the car is faster than the Miata, but much more tailhappy, sure takes some concentration to keep this car in check. Adding my best sectors would give me a best laptime around 1:59.7xx, but its very difficult to drive constistent laps with this car.

Last edited:
johnnynebraska
Anyone else have lap times they're willing to share?

I have times....just not willing to share them (worried). After seeing the times posted by saint_8 and id_racing i am shaking nervously in my racing boots lol ;-)

I have times....just not willing to share them (worried). After seeing the times posted by saint_8 and id_racing i am shaking nervously in my racing boots lol ;-)

Lol - not for bragging rights. Just so us slowpokes have something to shoot for. Or at least so we know how many times we'll be lapped. ;)

johnnynebraska
Lol - not for bragging rights. Just so us slowpokes have something to shoot for. Or at least so we know how many times we'll be lapped. ;)

You got it in one mate :-P

So I ran 6 laps of the GP/D as per Sunday's regs. I have fully broken in cars, means: MX5 - 123 bhp, MR2 - 131 bhp

Molly ran first and after 6 laps my best time was 1:59.712 - more time to be had, I'm losing time in the final corner. However a very balanced car and you can push harder than I did. She'll go faster.

Mister did 6 laps straight after Molly 1:59.442 - more slidey than Molly so I would expect the MX5 to be the faster on the day as it's more forgiving. Can possibly get that down to a 58.9xx.

Great match up, these cars are going to be close.

Happy to share ghosts if ya want 'em.

The break in adds 1bhp after fresh oil change. Not really worth it. I ran the MR2 round Daytona for 80 laps last night...

During planning for the event, I ran laps at GP/F (not GP/D). A few extra corners and one additional long straight (since the Schumacher S is taken flat out) reveals the MR-2 having the edge with its straight line speed. Both of my cars have miles on them but were engine/chassis refreshed.

Mazda MX-5 (NA) '89
122hp / 940kg / 358pp
Best Time: 2:44.187

The Good: Great balance. Great under trail braking. Predictable. Good gearing for this track. Perfect tire wear.
The Bad: Just too slow in a straight line and offers no corner speed advantage.

Toyota MR2 1600 G '86
133hp / 1120kg / 358pp
Best Time: 2:42.325

The Good: Straight line speed. Good balance under under full throttle. Easy to catch when the rear kicks out.
The Bad: The rear WILL kick out, mostly under braking. This will affect your ability to trail brake and will be an issue with tire wear late in the race.

Thanks peoples for the cooperations in fixing everyone up with cars & sharing info.

It looks like I will be doing all 3 events now. Not sure if I like the track quite as much as Nicktune, but it should be fun all around.
Of course, I should have my fill for awhile after this. ha ha.

I can't seem to trail brake in the MR2 at all, fyi. :lol:

I doubt anyone will get lapped unless they stop to have a beer with spectators along the way. :lol: :sly:
(that said, if anyone does get lapped, it will likely be me. ha)

The MX-5 I got from the UCD with about 20,000 miles on it. Did the GT Auto stuff.
The MR2 I had gotten from the OCD a couple weeks ago with 0miles but cars from the OCD are 0miles but "pre-engine broken in".
Whoever I sent MR2s to, they were all broken in.

I had originally tried my Miata without oil change, engine overhaul, nor chassis restoration. It was way out behind the others!!! I did those things came back, and had much better results. (The handling was much much better after body restoration.)

Hey watermelonpunch, maybe I can do it in time also for Sunday event, please sign me up also for that, my colour for both cars will be havanna

REGULATIONS CHECKLIST:

Okay, just so nobody's confused & there's no issues found at race time. :)

Mazda MX-5 Miata (NA) '89

Toyota MR2 1600 G '86

These are the cars allowed. They are both STANDARD (not premium).

Please note the exact model & year.
(There is another MR2 of same year, but it is NOT the same.)
(There are other Miata/MX-5/Roadster cars, but they are NOT the same.)

TUNING PROHIBITED EXPLAINED:

The best way to check that you will fit regulations is to go to your own lounge, and set the regulation settings to TUNING: PROHIBITED , and then see if you can enter the track with the car. 👍
I highly recommend doing this in advance of race day, so you are not possibly surprised at the last moment.

Below is a comprehensive explanation of Tuning Prohibited that I have posted in the VCRC club forum:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=2612

Tuning: Prohibited

What it means when a race is restricted to "Tuning: Prohibited"

Must be in original stock condition the car comes with, as is essentially.

The only things you can have changed on the car are:

Oil change (GT Auto)
Engine Rebuild (GT Auto)
Chassis Restoration (GT Auto)
Wheels (GT Auto)
Paint (GT Auto)
Wheels Paint (GT Auto)

Allowed Adjustments:

Brakes: Brake Balance CAN be adjusted to preference.

Engine: Power Limiter IS allowed :boggled:, but I doubt anyone would see that as a really good idea in most cases. ;)
(The only reason to use this would be if there was also a HP or PP restriction.)

Tires: Whatever the tire restriction for the race, is the tire type you can use.
(In many of our races, we use the tires the car comes with, but there may be exceptions to that, depending on the car.)

These things will flunk the car out of qualifying to enter the track:
(Once these things are done, they can't be taken off, and therefore make the car permanently disqualified.)

Cannot have Engine Stage upgrades 1, 2, or 3.
Cannot have Weight Reduction 1, 2, or 3
Cannot have window weight reduction
Cannot have carbon fiber hood
Cannot have Chassis Reinforcement

These things must be set to default parts or settings, or the car won't be able to enter the track:

Cannot have Aero kits or body kits installed (GT Auto)
If there's an aero kit or body kit installed, you must go to GT Auto, and have it taken off, and restored to its original parts.

Body/Chassis: Ballast @ Default (cannot add ballast)
Engine: Default computer chip thingy
Intake: Default intake parts (must un-check any added parts)
Exhaust: Default exhaust parts (must un-check any added parts)
Turbo Kits: Default parts (must un-check any turbo or superchargers)
Transmission: Default Transmission (if default transmission is fully custom, default settings must be used)
Drivetrain: Default parts (if any default parts are customizable, the default settings must be used)
Suspension: Default suspension (if the default suspension is customizable, the default settings must be used)

HTH 👍

Last edited:
On premium cars, you also are prohibited from installing body kit parts of any kind.

Thanks for that clarification, I added that in edit. 👍

True, body kits add no PP, but they are considered a modification that is disqualified by "tuning: prohibited".

Regarding lap times, I took the MX5 out for 3 laps and hit a 2.00.2xx. I definitely have room to brake into the 59s, doubt 58s for me... just wanted to see where I was. The key is going to be consistency and minimizing mistakes. I took the MR2 around the 24h track at night for a lap just to see. I know the Nord pretty darn good...I thought. There are some sections that have very little light which makes it pretty easy to lose track of where you are in the course. While the Nord is my favorite track to drive, it is one of my least favorites to race. But I think with these cars, the 2 divisions, and the time change it is going to be some big time fun. I think having the 24h layout will really help with getting the field in a relative order in terms of speed, so hopefully everyone is smart on the Nord as there are a lot of tight sections (I am mostly typing this as a reminder to myself ;) ).

Back