VCRC:Historic Mini Cooper Mini Endurance - Congrats IMZIZ & TURBOGEIT!

Watermelon and cc570 are in the vcrc lounge. If you can, join them! I'm off to bed.

Nice guys...

I officially made the laps 25. ;)
Blame IMZIZ. :lol:
We want to be sure it's an endurance and we make it to sunset!

Hope we have enough people show up so we can race tomorrow... I haven't practiced any this week, so I'll be holding things down at the back!

Hope we have enough people show up so we can race tomorrow... I haven't practiced any this week, so I'll be holding things down at the back!

We ran some practice races with a few of us (including 2 people signed up for today's race)... And, we ran races with just 3 cars. I think it will be quite interesting even if it's just the 5.
But feel free to round up your friends. :lol:

I can attest that I have not seen bender2011 practicing at all! Unless he's been doing it on the sneak. :odd: He already said his main goal is to just stay on the track & not crash. haha.
IMZIZ is the only one signed up for today's race that's reporting phenomenal hot laps.
But you guys can always hope that IMZIZ winds up needing to visit the pits a few times by trying to break 2:14. :lol:
That's my hope for Monday's race. That everyone will try to set a 2:13, and & I can pass them in the pits having their damage repaired. hahaha.

On my first race on the track, I set it to a 5 lap one make race. I secured a fairly comfortable 2:17:003 as my best lap :) I hope to improve this throughout the day!

Would like to join you guys if possible for this afternoon's race. If anyone has a spare Mini Cooper 1.3i '98 they can send me I will be grateful and overjoyed to race with yall!

Last edited:
I'm looking into it... We'd of course like to have you!
(My car send was used up for the day today, but perhaps someone else will be able to.)

Would like to join you guys if possible for this afternoon's race. If anyone has a spare Mini Cooper 1.3i '98 they can send me I will be grateful and overjoyed to race with yall!

Send me a friend request on PSN and I'll send you one. I'm making dinner at the moment so pm me on here when you've sent the friend request. (my phone goes Bing when I get a pm)

Just wondering... is it the actual race that begins at 2pm / 7pm or is that when practice opens ? :) thanks

Race Procedure:
Scheduled time is expected arrival time, in order to smoothly & promptly progress to the fun part. :)
Racers may arrive early to practice/warm-up.
Track will be reset at approximately 10-15 minutes after the hour, for informal qualifying.
Race countdown timer will be set to start the race approximately 15-20 minutes after that.
Once drivers enter the track to qualify, they should stay on the track until the race starts,
to preserve their qualifying positions.

Bender2011 is in the VCRC lounge now for some 11th hour last-minute practice. :D

(Disclosure: Bender2011/miata_1 and I are members of the same household. ie: we share the same ps3)

Bah... got sideways in T1 after some unexpected braking ahead of me. Smashed the poor Mini. Didn't occur to me I could pit for repairs. Next time!

Bah... got sideways in T1 after some unexpected braking ahead of me. Smashed the poor Mini. Didn't occur to me I could pit for repairs. Next time!

Who was braking in T1? Or was it necessary due to slipstreaming?

Glad to hear you've not been put off.

The race was good :) Would anyone mind if I formed a brief race report? :P

I'd love to read your race report. I'm doing this event on Monday so I'd love to know how you all got on. Especially if Miata_1 has been sandbagging!

Saturday Division Results

20120218historicminicooper06s.jpg

1. IMZIZ/ IMZIZ / Amaranth Pearl
  2. GTsail290 / GTsail290 / WR Blue Mica
  3. Naptown25rs / NCemtB / Chili Red
  4. PNuTButR / jazza96uk / Candy-Wei
  5. bender2011 / miata_1 / Solid Red
  6. basicchannel / Space_Echo / Estoril Blue (DNF)

20120218historicminicooper01s.jpg

20120218historicminicooper02s.jpg

20120218historicminicooper03s.jpg

20120218historicminicooper04s.jpg

20120218historicminicooper05s.jpg

20120218historicminicooper06s.jpg

The race got off to a good start. The first lap ran smoothly, with a few gaps beginning to form in between racers. IMZIZ formed a comfortable lead within a couple of laps and miata_1 unfortunately formed a gap at the back. Through laps 1 and 2, I sat in second place with GTsail2 following me. A little bit behind him was NCemtB. Unfortunately, at the beginning of lap 3, I was following GTsail2 (who had overtaken me) very closely as we approached T1 and I slowed down to avoid a collision. This is where I didn't realise how near Space_Echo was behind me and he felt the force of the incident. I apologize Space_Echo for the incident and I will send you a sorry gift later :) anyway, back to the race. Me and GTsail2 continued to battle it out for second place over the course of a few laps until I took a corner too quickly and suffered some damage to my rear-right. After this, GTsail2 formed a lead in second place and I dropped back and spent a few laps battling with NCemtB. Eventually, the damage got the better of me and I was forced to pit. From around lap 8 onward, GTsail2 remained in second place with NCemtB hot on his tail. IMZIZ's lead just kept growing until on lap 12, he had caught up with me. I saw this as an opportunity to get back into the race and so with competition (even though he was a lap ahead!) I improved my lap times and caught up on 2nd and 3rd place slightly. With some of my best lap times coming in, I remained just ahead of IMZIZ for 6 laps as he tried to lap me. GTsail2 and NCemtB continued to battle it out but miata_1 was well out of the race by now. I'm sure GTsail2 and NCemtB's goals at this point were to finish second. Mine, was simply to keep on the tail of IMZIZ as he overtook me. I did well to remain with him for a couple of laps but then... bang... front-right damage. As I was once again forced to pit, GTsail2 began to pull away from NCemtB and IMZIZ continued to pull off some incredible laps. As I re-entered the course, only 3 laps remained. At this point, IMZIZ continued to lap drivers and the battle for second remained fierce. IMZIZ finished the race in first place with GTsail2 and NCemtB beating the 3 minute timer. I came so close to doing so myself, infact I made it onto the final straight and had there been another second on the clock, I would have finished! Overall, it was a great and very competitive race and IMZIZ was certainly the deserved winner! Thanks everyone for the great drive, hope to see you in future events! :)

How was that for an analysis? ^_^

And good luck to everybody participating in the Monday race. If that race is as good as today's one was, you'll all have a great time! :D

I only saw a part of the race from Bender2011/miata_1's perspective. And then I skimmed through the replay.
Bender2011 said, "What was I thinking going to Toscana??"
He said he was bad with Toscana tracks...
I'm not too hot with Toscana tarmac myself. I'm better with Mt. Aso.
He was kind of miffed that the grid order was "obviously messed up"... (ie: he can't imagine why he wound up at the front in a fastest 1st grid order)
This, unfortunately, has reportedly happened a lot of late.
I don't think it's that big of a deal in an endurance race. But it's rather frustrating. In the past, staying on the track once qualifying starts usually makes things work. Why it didn't put everyone proper, I don't know. But sorry. Hope it works out better for Monday's race.
But I think it was a pretty exciting race, despite only 5 finishing cars & some gaps.
That's what endurance means!

BTW: The race was almost exactly 60 minutes, including the 3minute end timer. And by the time the end timer ran out, the sun had completely set. Though I think it was still peeking a tad over the horizon when IMZIZ crossed the finish line.

Last edited:
There was a lap or two at twilight where things got a little "dark", waiting for the headlights to turn on...Other than that, it was a good race despite only starting 6 cars and running by myself most of the time. I think an endurance race with these cars on a tight/technical circuit would be lots of fun.

@naptown25rs These cars are fun on Tokyo Bay kart tracks. They exhibit a fun bit of throttle lift oversteer, which makes them a blast on the flat kart tracks.:lol:

No problem, Jazza! I've got to practice my corner safety anyhow... I put myself in danger.

I love the custom track. It's an absolute blast for the Mini. Can't wait to race again!

There's definitely more I plan on doing with this car, unmodified. It's fun and attractive, after all. :)

Also, there's the London Mini Madness event scheduled with this car, same model, but they're running it fully max upgraded.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=239558
(I heard their races have been fun, so I'm signed up. Though I'm simply awful at tuning maxed out cars, so I doubt I'll do any better in that race than this one. :lol:)

There's definitely more I plan on doing with this car, unmodified. It's fun and attractive, after all. :)

Also, there's the London Mini Madness event scheduled with this car, same model, but they're running it fully max upgraded.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=239558
(I heard their races have been fun, so I'm signed up. Though I'm simply awful at tuning maxed out cars, so I doubt I'll do any better in that race than this one. :lol:)

Hey watermelon, big thanks for promoting my event here, I like that. If you run the mini's again, please let me know and I will post a mention in my thread 👍
and if anyone wants to take part in Mini Madness, but doesnt want to tune their mini, I have spares I can send.

.... Through laps 1 and 2, I sat in second place with GTsail2 following me. A little bit behind him was NCemtB. Unfortunately, at the beginning of lap 3, I was following GTsail2 (who had overtaken me) very closely as we approached T1 and I slowed down to avoid a collision. This is where I didn't realise how near Space_Echo was behind me and he felt the force of the incident. I apologize Space_Echo for the incident and I will send you a sorry gift later :) anyway, back to the race. Me and GTsail2 continued to battle it out for second place over the course of a few laps until I took a corner too quickly and suffered some damage to my rear-right. After this, GTsail2 formed a lead in second place and I dropped back and spent a few laps battling with NCemtB....

Nice Write-up!

The Mini's are great fun!

My 2 cents:
As PNuTButR mentions, we had a great early battle for the first three or four laps, with lots of place changes as everyone got a feel for the track. Once I had battled my way to second place, I pushed hard all race long to stay there, once it became clear that IMZIZ was doing a horizon job on the rest of us. I never could pull away, so I was always checking my mirrors trying to prevent being run over by a Mini!

IMZIZ was certainly in a class of his own. Its my understanding that his best lap was 2 seconds faster than my best lap of 2.17.034 (which was done on lap # 23).

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Back