Vehicle of The Day

• Thread starter Dagger311
  • 592 comments

What should the future of this thread be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's rumors that it's actually a lot more than that. Somewhere in the 800s.
It dynoed officially at 825hp and had to be dialed back to 700 to meet emissions requirements and it's BARELY able to do that.

9/20/14: 1982-1986 Toyota Supra, nominated by @ilikewaffles11.
image-jpg.223289

Stats were provided for me.

Layout: FR
Engine: 2.8L Inline 6 (5MGE)

Power: Rated at 161 HP (169 Ft-Lb of Torque)

Transmission: 5 speed manual; 4 speed automatic

Of course, this vehicle returns one month from now, on 10/20/14.

Well, a little shocked this car didn't kick up much dust. I personally love them. Nice, affordable sports car. Definitely wouldn't pass one up.

Remember, nominations are renewed this week. Everyone, no matter if you submitted them at 11:59 PM last night, can nominate five more now.

9/21/14: 1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe, nominated by me, @Dagger311.
1365px-Shelby_Daytona%2C_1964.JPG

Here is a very detailed list of specs. This race car returns to the list on 10/21/14.

Also, If it picks me again in the next few days, I'm going to reroll. It makes sense, I currently have the most nominations by a pretty nice gap, but still, most of mine are classic muscle cars, and we need a little variety.

Also, If it picks me again in the next few days, I'm going to reroll. It makes sense, I currently have the most nominations by a pretty nice gap, but still, most of mine are classic muscle cars, and we need a little variety.
Yeah where are my nominations! ;)

Anyway, great car, one of the best looking of all time.

I'd say it's the second most beautiful car Shelby has ever made. Beaten only by the Open top 427 Cobra, which *cough*isnominatedbymeaswell*cough* ;).

That's one of the greatest cars America has ever produced. I think it's even better looking than Cobra roadster.

I'll post my nominations later today.

Yeah. I just realized, I need a section specifically for "How to nominate." I threw the OP together in five minutes. I get quite a few questions on how exactly it works anyway.

9/22/14: 2013 Freightliner Cascadia Pikes Peak race truck, nominated by @Leggy1.

freightliner-cascadia-pp-special.jpg

Base Vehicle: Freightliner Cascadia.
Driver: Mike Ryan.
Base Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 60 (DD60).
Configuration: Inline-six.
Displacement: 14.0L.
Horsepower: 2,400 hp.
Torque: 5,000 lb-ft.
Supercharged and Turbocharged.

This very special Semi returns on 10/22/14.

9/23/14: 1975 Ford Mustang Cobra II (Originally picked one of my nominations, but as I said before, I'm re-rolling it until the end of this week if it picks me), nominated by @Slash, and @Celicaas.
nwm_mustangii_2222-jpg.212090

This was the closest thing to specs I could find for it, a short article off of netcarshow.com.

The 1974 introduction of the Mustang II earned Ford Motor Trend magazine's Car of the Year honors again and actually returned the car to more than a semblance of its 1964 predecessor in size, shape, and overall styling. Though Iacocca insisted that the Mustang II be finished to quality standards unheard of in the American auto industry, the Mustang II suffered from being not only smaller than the original car, but heavier as well due to the federal emission and safety regulations and its build quality could be described as only "mediocre" - no better than other Ford or Detroit products of the day. Available as a hardtop or three-door hatchback, the new car's base engine was a 2.3 L SOHC I4, the first fully metric engine built in the U.S. for installation in an American car. A 2.8 L V6 was the sole optional engine, meaning the popular V8 option would disappear for the first and only time in 1974, and Ford was swamped by buyer mail and criticized in the automotive press for it.

Since the car was never meant to have a V8, it became a mad scramble to reengineer the car in order to reinstate the 302 in³ (5.0 L) V8 option in time for the 1975 model year, but only in low-suds form with a two-barrel carburetor and 140 horsepower. Like the car that preceded it, the Mustang II had its roots in another compact, the Ford Pinto, though less so than the original car was based on the Falcon. The car sold well, with sales of more than 400,000 units its first year. It is also worth noting that four of the five years of the Mustang II are on the top-ten list of most-sold Mustangs. Despite innovations such as rack-and-pinion steering and a separate engine sub-frame that greatly decreased noise, vibration, and harshness, the Mustang II never caught the public's fancy like the original had ten years prior.

The Arab oil embargo, skyrocketing insurance rates, and aforementioned US emissions and safety standards that destroyed the straight-line performance of virtually every car of the period, certainly didn't help. Chrysler ended production of the Barracuda and its stable mate, the Dodge Challenger, in 1974. Then GM nearly discontinued the Camaro and Firebird that same year. However, on the momentum of the Mustang II's success, and under the direction of Ford's new styling chief, Jack Telnack, a totally new Mustang hit the streets for 1979.
This car returns on 10/23/14.

Last edited:
140hp and almost 300 lb-ft of torque...sure it ain't got no HP but its still got some balls. Fortunately, thats VERY easily changed :D

Much better looking than Fox body.
I think the same thing honestly. I mean, I like Fox bodies, but I always thought these looked more like a Mustang. Plus, it had quite a snarl in it's face.

Danny on Counting Cars flipped one of these last night. It was awesome.
Please no...

Also, Adam from Top Gear has one.

I think the same thing honestly. I mean, I like Fox bodies, but I always thought these looked more like a Mustang. Plus, it had quite a snarl in it's face.

Please no...

No what? Danny is awesome at that stuff.

You said he flipped it. Like wrecked. Unless you mean he fixed one up and sold it for a profit.
The second one. He bought it, tweaked the motor (he mentioned Edelbrock a lot), gave it a really nice custom paintjob (sort of like an orange color, with street freak style stripes, and custom pinstriping as well). It looked awesome.

The second one. He bought it, tweaked the motor (he mentioned Edelbrock a lot), gave it a really nice custom paintjob (sort of like an orange color, with street freak style stripes, and custom pinstriping as well). It looked awesome.
He probably put an Edelbrock top end on it. $1,800 worth of parts is about a 230hp upgrade.

He probably put an Edelbrock top end on it. $1,800 worth of parts is about a 230hp upgrade.
I know for a fact he put an edelbrock 4-barrel carb in there, I saw it. I wish I had a picture, but it happened just last night. None up yet...

That guy knows what he's doing when it comes to hot rods, street rods, muscle cars, or anything classic and American really.

I have never liked Fox body it just doesn't look like a Mustang at all and it's not very good car from factory.
I don't remember anyone in Top Gear being called Adam.

I know for a fact he put an edelbrock 4-barrel carb in there, I saw it. I wish I had a picture, but it happened just last night. None up yet...

That guy knows what he's doing when it comes to hot rods, street rods, muscle cars, or anything classic and American really.

302s are easily hopped up so it doesn't surprise me.

I have never liked Fox body it just doesn't look like a Mustang at all and it's not very good car from factory.

It was actually a very good car from the factory, especially the late model Fox Bodies. In fact it was so good, they used the Fox platform all the way to 2004.

This car is arguably worse than the Fox body in stock form.

I don't remember anyone in Top Gear being called Adam.

Top Gear USA.

Back