Watch This First On-Board Look at GT Sport's New Wet Weather Track

I feel it looks like a mix between DC and GT6. It looks really good but not quite up to Driveclub's graphics. Driveclub's rain visuals are perfect hands down but GT Sports's are still very pretty.
I like your comment here but we need to remember that we are watching a video on YT of gameplay. I'm pretty sure it will look better once we see it at home on our own set ups.

I like your comment here but we need to remember that we are watching a video on YT of gameplay. I'm pretty sure it will look better once we see it at home on our own set ups.

...wondering how will PS4 handle so many cars now, remember there is an event where 30 cars are on track on Lago Maggiore... imagine how graphically intense would be with additional reflections... if PS4 can handle it, we should get rooms with more then 16 players ASAP.

Also all that is shown now, it isn't dynamic as I mentioned before, and it seems that it doesn't make any difference if it is light or heavy rain physics wise...

Doesn't seem like wet lines are simulated. The hotlap still uses mostly dry lines. Track surface also lacks detail such as puddles which led me to believe aquaplaning won't be simulated. Pretty much just gonna be a grip reduction like previous games then. Also the raindrops on the windscreen are still pitiful. I'm not expecting Driveclub level of detail, but something closer to what GT5 had rather than GT6 would be better.

Doesn't seem like wet lines are simulated. The hotlap still uses mostly dry lines. Track surface also lacks detail such as puddles which led me to believe aquaplaning won't be simulated. Pretty much just gonna be a grip reduction like previous games then. Also the raindrops on the windscreen are still pitiful. I'm not expecting Driveclub level of detail, but something closer to what GT5 had rather than GT6 would be better.

I would argue that standing water causing aquaplaning & wet lines are uncharacteristically ‘sim’ and wouldn’t be in line with GT Sport’s other compromises on realism. Aesthetic flair and grip reduction are all that’s needed tbh.

Nothing wrong with little droplet like GT6, real life can be like it with rain X coating

I think it all boils down to some hardware limitations and the different vision they both had for their game:

Driveclub's goal was to convince people that it was the most realistic team based looking racing game ever and thus they opted for the graphical part while sacrificing it's Framerate.

Things such as Dynamic TOD/ Weather was all possible with the framerate locked at 30 FPS.
Volumetric cloud simulation, realistic weather effects and Global illumination was all capable within this choice.
Even now with Ray tracing technology Driveclub holds it's ground and it is still a realistic and beautifull looking game being a 2014 game.

GT Sport however opted for stable 60 FPS per second at the highest resolution they can(but you can obviously see some compromises here and there in actual gameplay to achieve this). Thats why Dynamic TOD / Weather was not possible as it would basically not make them reach their goal.

Tbh I never thought it was still possible for them to achieve weather/rain this time around but color me excited that they have (even if it's static and not Dynamic).

But overall Driveclub still has a much believable water physics than what we see now in GT Sport (not to say that what we have now is not impressive either and a step up from GT6).
Yes water moves accordingly to which side the car goes (up, down, left or right) but it doesnt look or feel the same as what they did in GT5 back then or what Driveclub shows. (It actually showed the water moving creating a realistic line as it moved and this was even better represented into Driveclub).

I kinda hope this is something they can improve on but I would not hold my breath for them to focus too much into this. In the end we finally got rain conditions.

Edit: Ah Crap... I replied to the wrong person *facepalm* this was supposed to be directed at @Volksauto

Apologies...

Do all cars in GTS have rain X coating?
Yes i think lol
But i was just saying the render is not wrong either but for a normal rainy condition, yeah droplet from GT5 is natural and better. I know PD render it by limitation hardware rather than wanting an rain X effect lol

Yes, but hope they work on all PS4 style... Pro AND normal...

because in the nation cup, they use PS4 Pro. so it was easy to have more power than the beginning of GT Sport.

I would argue that standing water causing aquaplaning & wet lines are uncharacteristically ‘sim’ and wouldn’t be in line with GT Sport’s other compromises on realism. Aesthetic flair and grip reduction are all that’s needed tbh.
Still, GT Sport isn't arcade so these things should be present in a 2019 racing game. If they aren't there it would be a missed opportunity to absolutely smash it in the weather department. And for players who wouldn't want a more realistic experience all you would have to do is offer an option to choose between realistic and arcade wet weather behavior.

I'm talking about the rain and water affects specifically. Driveclub has slightly better liquid textures and movement.
But it is relevant. You need to sacrifice several details to be run at 60 fps.

Meanwhile you can throw any detail you want if it runs at 30 fps. Not to downplay Driveclub but I firmly believe PD could do similar if the game runs at 30 fps, which creates another problem for the player base by itself.

It looks good enough, and they even added cube map refelctions for the cars this time wich was lacking in the Northern Island challenge. Also comparing it with Driveclub doens't make sense, it should be compared with Forza Motorsport 7 or Pcars 2, that seems more fair. But im happy they pulled it of, i really hope the frame rate stays stable and doesn't introduce tearing.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again after this video. PD can wax lyrical about HDR all they want , but when the actual HDR is as bad as in this video ( black cockpits really?) then what is the point?

It appears we've finally reached the rain "quality" demonstrated prior to the release of GT5. Better late than never.

But it is relevant. You need to sacrifice several details to be run at 60 fps.

Meanwhile you can throw any detail you want if it runs at 30 fps. Not to downplay Driveclub but I firmly believe PD could do similar if the game runs at 30 fps, which creates another problem for the player base by itself.
They could add another option in the graphics, something like Ultra Quality where you run at 30 fps but the game is a lot more detailed. Another option would be to modify the Quality option so that people with a Pro have a reason to use it.

They could add another option in the graphics, something like Ultra Quality where you run at 30 fps but the game is a lot more detailed. Another option would be to modify the Quality option so that people with a Pro have a reason to use it.
The only practical use for it is thay if you want to use the internal record function.

And even then at some point somebody will accuse PD for "faking" ot cheating the graphic fidelity.

Last edited:
Looks pretty wet

tenor.gif

Heavy looks even too shiny - Unnatural.

A wet track is a wet track. Your view will be more obscured with heavy rain but I don't see how it would affect the physics. Unless they wanted to simulate puddles and standing water.

it seems that it doesn't make any difference if it is

I think they confirmed on the stream, that "rain" and "heavy rain" have exactly same physics. Im interested in trying intermediate tyres..

Yes i think lol
But i was just saying the render is not wrong either but for a normal rainy condition, yeah droplet from GT5 is natural and better. I know PD render it by limitation hardware rather than wanting an rain X effect lol

I just started to wonder if one is still able to turn off wiper on rain.. with that coating it might be better to just not use the wipers at all.:lol:

"wet weather track".. are we getting one track with weather? Or is that worded just with in context of what we've seen?
Hope we get at least 5 tracks with rain at launch.. atleast.

I just started to wonder if one is still able to turn off wiper on rain.. with that coating it might be better to just not use the wipers at all.:lol:

There is dedicated button on T-GT wheel and some others... but until now, you weren't able to remap it to other wheels or controller.

Besides Heavy and Light rain, there will be probably wet track also...

Looks a bit low rent, grainy reflections and just a 2D mask on the windshield. It's better than nothing, but games like ACC, PCars and Forza 7 are definitely a step above in both visuals and physics effects.

Back