We should have engine swaps in the next update

• Thread starter Swara
  • 141 comments
You see, no one has given a reason why people should treat that as being the case for realistic swaps.

Could one argue that not being able to change the engine(s) is some cars is unrealistic? Take the Caterham as an example....lots of folk put lots of different engines in them IRL.....some folk even manage to fit two engines and 4WD in.:crazy:

Even if all Lotus 7-like cars are not Caterhams (my bro's is a Mac with R1 motor) it's possibly an ideal car in the game for experimenting with different engines in. I wonder how a "Caterham" would fare with a rotary engine? This one looks like fun anyway.....clicky.:)

Then again maybe it would be easier just to put more cars in the game.....a 1.6 and 2.0 I4, hyabusa and a rotary model would be plenty to play with. They wouldn't need to show us the engine either, just work out how it should drive and tweak the spec of the Caterham to make different models would do me.

This isn't something that PD would ever patch into GT5. Simply trying to balance the game around it after the fact would be a logistical nightmare.

If it ever happens in the series, it won't happen until a full game; and it would be limited to same-manufacturer swaps anyway.

Gran Turismo Go-Kart with a Gran Turismo X2011?

Aston, that's exactly the point. He has question marks after it because he's asking, isn't that stupid? He was referring to same brand engines between cars.

OwensRacing
One on the Internet. . . Get some first ha d experience and discuss what YOU really know.

Honestly the people claiming to know things in here is well disgusting. Most of the info being posted has some truth. However it is obviously conveyed by those that don't know what they are saying.

4 bangers making over 1000hp are not common and is not easy. If so make it happen.

Making 1000hp from any regular car is not easy not cheap.

Supra stock 2JZ will handle over 1000 whp. We raced with a guy back in the early 2000's doing so. Marco in the White Supra. It's not common now. Most doing that power want reliability and spend the coin for extra insurance.

Twin Turbo 4 banger? Is that supposedly faster then a single turbo? Why because two is greater then one? It's waaaaaay deeper then that guys.

I love seeing you guys discuss these subjects. But please please research more before posting facts on a subject.

Sorry dad will leave now.

Sorry man... I just thought that videos were legit proof. And that 8 second civic has 46 pounds of boost by the way. And if you actually don't believe me... Ask viperbeatsvette. He saw that video and I'm surprised you haven't heard of him. His name is Chris Miller.

OwensRacing
One on the Internet. . . Get some first ha d experience and discuss what YOU really know.

Honestly the people claiming to know things in here is well disgusting. Most of the info being posted has some truth. However it is obviously conveyed by those that don't know what they are saying.

Funny story Owens, I do know what I'm talking about so maybe before trying to badmouth me think a bit about who you might be talking to...

Stavelot
Funny story Owens, I do know what I'm talking about so maybe before trying to badmouth me think a bit about who you might be talking to...

Explain why two turbos on an inline 4 is better then one?

Better yet just post some links to these twin turbo four bangers.

Wondering if these set ups are infancy sequential turbos and not twins.

I personally don't know you. I have to assume with knowing your knowledge is limited.

Give me something to work with here. Some cars you built. What have you raced. Etc etc. credibility. Yea you could lie. But most will have proof that can't be denied as with myself.

swara96
Sorry man... I just thought that videos were legit proof. And that 8 second civic has 46 pounds of boost by the way. And if you actually don't believe me... Ask viperbeatsvette. He saw that video and I'm surprised you haven't heard of him. His name is Chris Miller.

I don't know much about any Front wheel drive vehicles. No desire.

Last edited:
isn't the point of twin turbos to reduce lag? one small turbo and one big, the small one puts power in lower rpms and feeds the big one. i think there are different set ups also.. and a big single turbo has a longer spool but delivers more power in its range (high rpms)?

Feel free to correct me... thats just what i thought

Edit: oh and i dont think there would be any point in running twins on a 4 cylinder... might as well just have a single big turbo with alot of boost... sequential would atleast help the lag

And i think most most supras run one big single turbo for drag.

Lots of thinks!

Last edited:
Explain why two turbos on an inline 4 is better then one?

Better yet just post some links to these twin turbo four bangers.

Wondering if these set ups are infancy sequential turbos and not twins.

I personally don't know you. I have to assume with knowing your knowledge is limited.

Give me something to work with here. Some cars you built. What have you raced. Etc etc. credibility. Yea you could lie. But most will have proof that can't be denied as with myself.

I don't know much about any Front wheel drive vehicles. No desire.

Have you seen Toyota Supras drag? I love those cars. Plus, there is a Firebird that does 6 second quarter miles in New Zealand. It's pretty cool.

swara96
Have you seen Toyota Supras drag? I love those cars. Plus, there is a Firebird that does 6 second quarter miles in New Zealand. It's pretty cool.

I like the Supra a lot. I've followed a few guys. The SP guys. Marco. These guys were doing 1000+rwhp back in 04/05. Very potent car.

Favorite car is actually a Fox Body Mustang. Prefer Coupe/Sedan body. Obviously a drag car.

I will give credit to the FWD guys for the times they are getting these days.

I'm from the school of thought that fwd is for minivans and commuter cars. It truly seems like a bad dream when I watch them.

If you grew up with these cars they will seem normal. Mainstream will make them seem cool too.

Us older guys use the term Pre F&F.

You got anything your working with?

Fwiw anyone that is into drags and wants to get started. I'd recommend using a stock family car of sorts. If your mechanically inclined. Go manual. You will be changing clutches. But just get out to a test and tune night. You will get a feel for the flow of things. Learn to stage. Learn leave on the tree. Learn the turn off spots. Read a slip. Important things to learn before dropping the hammer in a fast car.

Know a guy from Indy that uses a Geo Metro for bracket racing. He had won several events. Angelo his first name. It's extremely slow, 19's Some call it unfair. He runs against 9 sec cars. I you seen a bracket race. You'd know this would stink to be the guy in the 9 sec car. You gotta wait 10 secs before your tree/lights come down. Really leaves time to ruin your state of mind. Meaning a bad light. Meaning you won't catch him before the end. Also it's easier to run consistent in a slower car.

That was long! I am not proof reading it. Please work past any errors. Thanks. ;)

I'd only like to see realisitc engine swaps, (like a corvette engine to a camaro) basically, ones that would actually fit and such (none of this porshe engine to a fiat 500 nonsense), that said, I would like to see the Yellowbird engine swapped into the new premium beetle :D lol, drag bug status.

Chad D.
I'd only like to see realisitc engine swaps, (like a corvette engine to a camaro) basically, ones that would actually fit and such (none of this porshe engine to a fiat 500 nonsense), that said, I would like to see the Yellowbird engine swapped into the new premium beetle :D lol, drag bug status.

Basically if it has been done then allow it. Not just done but proven working swaps. However ridiculous swaps are just that.

Basically if it has been done then allow it. Not just done but proven working swaps. However ridiculous swaps are just that.

What I mean is realisitc in the aspect that a corvette engine CAN be in a camaro, instead of a veryone engine to a midget type II (that is what i mean by UNREALISTIC), I'm sure people would have "fun" with unrealistic engine swaps, but they would get tiring after a while for me, but the realistic ones would be a nice, refeshing thing for the game in my opinion. And if we can't have engine swaps, more tuning options would be nice (like a stage 1 and stage 3 turbo and supersharger on an engine, or something along those lines, it would make Route X more useful in that aspect I think, and I find it intereting and fun enough already :D )

Last edited:
OwensRacing
I like the Supra a lot. I've followed a few guys. The SP guys. Marco. These guys were doing 1000+rwhp back in 04/05. Very potent car.

Favorite car is actually a Fox Body Mustang. Prefer Coupe/Sedan body. Obviously a drag car.

I will give credit to the FWD guys for the times they are getting these days.

I'm from the school of thought that fwd is for minivans and commuter cars. It truly seems like a bad dream when I watch them.

If you grew up with these cars they will seem normal. Mainstream will make them seem cool too.

Us older guys use the term Pre F&F.

You got anything your working with?

Fwiw anyone that is into drags and wants to get started. I'd recommend using a stock family car of sorts. If your mechanically inclined. Go manual. You will be changing clutches. But just get out to a test and tune night. You will get a feel for the flow of things. Learn to stage. Learn leave on the tree. Learn the turn off spots. Read a slip. Important things to learn before dropping the hammer in a fast car.

Know a guy from Indy that uses a Geo Metro for bracket racing. He had won several events. Angelo his first name. It's extremely slow, 19's Some call it unfair. He runs against 9 sec cars. I you seen a bracket race. You'd know this would stink to be the guy in the 9 sec car. You gotta wait 10 secs before your tree/lights come down. Really leaves time to ruin your state of mind. Meaning a bad light. Meaning you won't catch him before the end. Also it's easier to run consistent in a slower car.

That was long! I am not proof reading it. Please work past any errors. Thanks. ;)

Yeah I've heard of Marco's Supra. He runs 8's right? I thought he has a Mark IV. I wish I had a Supra. I don't personally drag, but my friend Garrett's dad owns a '71 Cuda. That machine has so much torque that the chassis literally fell apart in the drag strip near Rockingham, NC. It is his project car now. Too bad he lives in California now. My parents don't drag, though I wish I could see my dad's G37s coupe drag. My mom's, well her E90 328i has a K N drop in intake, so not sure how much HP gain. My mom used to have a 98 Accord EX sedan. I really loved that thing SO MUCH. I loved it because it was so easy to install upgrades, and my parents promised me that I would be driving that car when I am in college. That thing had a nice juicy turbocharger and custom exhaust. Until my mom totaled the Honda. Some idiot did a hit and run on it, and that was the end of my dream car. That is why when I really see a 98 white Accord EX sedan, I really get emotional. What can I say, I'm 14 :(

You're in a drag lobby, 10 guys appear, driving the same car but everyone has a different engine in it.

And this shouldn't be problematic? Ridicilous!
Not really!

Again, explain why. Don't throw up an example that looks perfectly acceptable (because, you know, the PP system would likely still exist) and then assert that it is a ridiculous and horrible thing without bothering to give a reason.

Gran Turismo Go-Kart with a Gran Turismo X2011?

Not sure if serious.

So you would be happy with X1 engines in every car?

That a far and outlandish leap to make, but it wouldn't be the first time an F1 engine was in a production car. Maybe you lot should do some research or actually read up on car history. Like I said earlier, look up the Renault Espace and the Renault Espace F1.

If you don't, then you going on this same path will just becoming a further diminishing return and make it moot.

Exactly, REALISTIC.

No one or myself standing up for this isn't asking for Realistic swaps, I don't recall asking for a Veryron W16 Quad Turbo, or W12 A 10 engine in a VW Bettle or Ginette. All we are asking for are realistic swaps. Some of you people seem to make leaps and bounds toward the outrageous more so than anyone else. Which is quite ironic, especially when you try to preach your point.:indiff:

You're in a drag lobby, 10 guys appear, driving the same car but everyone has a different engine in it.

And this shouldn't be problematic? Ridicilous!

Not everyone does drag lobbies, so that isn't really a wide scale issue for those who play the game. Also why is that an issue, If two 1970 chevelle's want to drag but one is using a Duramax 6.6L and the other is using an LS7 what's the issue? All I see are two people with a car they like and two different setups, how is that bad? It seems you lay out a personal issue, that is aesthetically unappealing for you.

Last edited:
Why stop at engine swaps?

I mean if I am going to put a zr1 motor in my chevelle, I will need the transmission as well. Also that stock rear wouldn't hold up so I'll need a nice ford 9in and while we are at it can I have a fully custom suspension, along with wider tires.

Umm I was agreeing with you when I said: "Exactly, REALISTIC"... If you had read my earlier post saying: "their needs to be a limit" you would have known...

See that's funny that you mention me reading your post, because if that was the case you wouldn't have asked me this question. That is you wouldn't have asked me this if you had really agreed with me from the get go.

So you would be happy with X1 engines in every car?

It could be fun within a limit but it also takes away tunning skills, cause I could just swap a v6 motor on that EK type R of mine and plain and simple beet you with little or no tunning. Also keep in mind the game title: Gran Turismo The real driving simulator; not everyone is driving a CRX, and EG or an EK with a Kswap or a Chevelle with a ZR1 swap. That's my opinion.

Last edited:
That would be amazing! Like in my R32 GTR ^ I have an RB27 instead of the RB26's which come in the game. The 27s are much more powerfull..

That would be amazing! Like in my R32 GTR ^ I have an RB27 instead of the RB26's which come in the game. The 27s are much more powerfull..
A RB27 is just a kitted RB26. Much more power? Not really!
:)

This whole thread saddens me. The amount of nonsense being spewed is borderline pathetic. I am not a professional car builder nor will I pretend to be, but the truth is, engine swaps exist in real life, and with proper execution, I think they would be a great addition to the game.

I happen to be good friends with several JDM type guys and I see more swaps in Hondas than I do stock motors fully built. Many stock Civics came with something like a D15 and the guys with a few bucks to throw around swap in a B Series instead of building a weak block. And there are tons of new Camaros running around on built LSX blocks. The people saying that 1000 hp out of a 4 banger is not possible are simply ill informed. It's rare, but it happens.

There are tons of imports, classics, and exotics running turbo setups to push well over 1000 hp. CFT builds 9 second civics that are near the 1k mark, Titan has a 1k hp Supra, and Underground Racing twin turbos all kinds of high end exotics from 1000hp and up. If they were to implement swaps, they could just add a filter in online lobbies to allow or prohibit swapped cars to enter. But there is really no reason I shouldnt be able to throuw an LS7 from a Z06 into a 2010 camaro and slap a big turbo on it and push 900+ hp. Hennessey put the ZR1's LS9 into a new Camaro and it works wonderfully with not much modification, so why can't we?

And realistically, this feature would be mostly for drag racers, but it wouldnt hurt to be able to swap something a little stronger into a slower car and make it a track day beast. I see motor swapping just like I do DLC: if you don't like it, you wouldnt have to do it, but it wouldnt hurt to let the people who want it, do it. (within reason of course)

/end wall :banghead:

Last edited:
And realistically, this feature would be mostly for drag racers, but it wouldnt hurt to be able to swap something a little stronger into a slower car and make it a track day beast. I see motor swapping just like I do DLC: if you don't like it, you wouldnt have to do it, but it wouldnt hurt to let the people who want it, do it. (within reason of course)

/end wall :banghead:
For drag racers? :lol:
This feature would probably kill drag racing.

I'm content with being able to tune what we already have. I would much rather see pd implement other improvements, such as online leaderboards(for all tracks-not just route x) with filtering of results, such as aids on/off, drivetrain, hp, etc. Car specific would be beyond awesome if you could sort results like that! I think that alone would bring the community together more and give more people a reason to play. They have shown us that they are capable through the time and drift trials. The system just needs a little tweaking.

The need for a propper tire model relative drags. As well a track with physics tweaked to cater to drag racing.

Heck PD could use most of what they have tweak it. Package it and sell a Drag Racing game. ;) prefer it implemented in GT5. Maybe luck will be with us and GT6 will have a side dedicated to Drags.

One can dream.

Back