Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 3,672 comments
Just did the Gr1 race with the SF23 tuned to 949 PP. Ran RS tires, fuel on 1. Pit 1/2 way for fresh tires and fuel. Won it by a country mile.
I was thinking of running a SF car but was worried it wouldn't have the straight line speed for it. Glad to see that isn't much of an issue.

Originally ran the Hyundai VGT and then realized the engine would need to recharge after like 2 laps so I switched to the Red Bull x2019 but I don't really like how that car handles so gave up after like a lap lol.

I have the Mazda VGT but it isn't the GR.1 variant, does that matter?

I did the WC this morning. The Jimny race was fun did that and Route X was easy. I used the Tomahawk S for that. I used the 904 for the Lake Maggiore race. I had finished in 3rd last time I did the race but it seemed much easier this time around. I used the 356 Speedster at Laguna Seca. Finally I used the Bugatti Gr.1 but I was off so I quit and went to the LM55 for a no stop run. I had a terrible race. I set the fastest lap @ 3:14 on lap 5 I believe and that was my only lap below 3:21! I think my average lap outside of that 1 lap was probably around 3:25 /lap. If I had to make a stop I probably would finished 4th or 5th. That was probably one of worst races in a long time. Anyway got some brakes and Lexus VGT which I promptly sold for 345k cr

WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca_.jpeg

Something was calling me to show up this week. I originally downloaded the game again so I could do some data collection in the future, but I decided to do some events as well. Found out there was 356A shenanigans going on, so I couldn't resist.

Unsurprisingly, I did have a setup for this car, but I was not prepared at all for just how far ahead that one AI was going to be. Its not particularly fast, but its fast enough to be a pain to catch.

With some help from a friend, we did get our car to win on the CS tire (by ~5 seconds), but I did many more attempts on the CM tire, losing by 1 - 2 seconds each time to T.Barnett.
(Funny thing, the fictional second driver I use for ACC is T.Barrett, so hi FBI agent? Edit: Corrected to 5s because my memory is just that bad these days)

Its probably not the fastest setup around, but it was the one that worked for me, using most of the parts I already had on the car... (FL: 1:42.095)
Gran Turismo® 7_20240701212754.jpg
Gran Turismo® 7_20240701212800.jpg

Last edited:
The porsche one/two-make race leaving next week is annoying.

Has Polyphony ever said anything about turning the limited weekly challenge races into permanent additions to the directory?

Edit: got the 919 Hypercar for my weekly reward which I'm happy about. All my recent 6 star car tickets were VGTs without a cockpit so I was bracing for the worst lol.

Last edited:
Did them all yesterday even if I was kinda tired after the Assen weekend and going straight back to work.

1) Jimny Cup @ Sardegna Windmills

Since the randomizer now also gives info about whether a selected car is to be used engine swapped or not, I bought a new Jimny to use for this event insteas of my wide body swapped one. Gave it a bit of basic tuning (exhaust and filter) and dirt tires, a quick livery and hit the dirt. Only managed a P3 with CRB so I used the 18k for extra stuff, namely a low pressure turbo and sport brakes. Things really did change around, and this time I managed a win with CRB; it was more fun than expected.
Parts ticket gave me "the shaft" for the restyling GT86.

20970402856262407.jpg

2) American Clubman Cup 700 @ SSRX

Super boring race, luckily just one lap. Used a swapped C4 ZR-1 but didn't really bother to change the gearbox, could only top out at 330 kmh which is not enough to win. But it is enough for P2 so I'll take that.

20969937547450067.jpg

3) Porsche 356 Special @ Laguna Seca

I was supposed to do this with the Speedster as said by the randomizer, but I only had the coupe and not enough money to buy the Speedster so I went with that one instead. Tuned it up to 550pp after giving it a try with an almost stock car and failing miserably, turns out it was too much. But, it was super fun regardless! If I manage to find some time to grind and buy the Speedster I'll give it another try with it, or simply race with the coupe again. Fun shenanigans on this event!

20970127652540301.jpg

4) Porsche Cup @ Lago Maggiore GP

The randomizer had me take this on with the 911 GT1 Strassenversion, which was incredibly my first time driving this beauty. Gave it a Praiano setup for 650pp and took on the race, what a machine! Made short work of the competition with a pleasant driving experience. No idea why I never used this car before to be honest, it's fantastic.

20970754333508085.jpg

5) Gr.1 Prototypes @ Sainte-Croix C

This race is terrible, plain and simple. Used the 787B again for my first time in this game and the experience was outright terrible, car was an understeering monster and I refuse to think it's like that, I need to find a tune that suits more my driving style. Many crashes, boring race, finished second and I'll gladly take it.

20970004054251852.jpg

Car ticket gave me a Honda 2&4 which saved me a million so I can't complain.

Didn't have much time recently for racing but I've now finally finished this week's challenges with the cars the randomizer gave me. Here's a short summary - didn't find the races too hard in general except the Laguna Seca one which really took some time and effort.
At Route X and at St. Croix I didn't need anything but the full stock cars ( and a little bit of luck ) for winning at the first attempt. Been driving the Tomahawk Gr. 1 for the first time and it's been a pleasant surprise I must say.
The Jimny and the 911 at Lake Maggiore reached the podium easily, for P1 with CRB however I had to upgrade both cars a little. The Jimny received a racing ECU and a sports exhaust, the Porsche SM tires.
What's left ? I was really looking forward to race Laguna Seca ( did I mention I love this track ) with that cute 356 Speedster and it turned out to be the tough nut to crack. Reason being of course T. Barnett and his black No 25 car that got a really huge range performance wise - from my own experience and from reading here they finish between 7.25 and 6.55 ... Ugh !
After a lot of fiddling with different power parts and tires I finally could claim a victory with only SH tires on an otherwise stock car.

Race 1
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240702185514.jpg

The green machine.
Suzuki Jimny / 315,85 PP

Race 2
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240702185529.jpg

Old and new.
Ford GT / 625,50 PP

Race 3
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240702185541.jpg

Black and white.
Porsche 356 / 418,55 PP

Race 4
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240702185554.jpg

Mt. Panorama vibes at Lake Maggiore.
911 / 606,40 PP

Race 5
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240702185605.jpg

For Strax. Spotted his new favorite Gr. 1 car.
Tomahawk Gr. 1 / 893,70 PP

:gtpflag:

P.S. The wheel of fortune gave me a Veneno ... that I'd gladly gift to anyone of you if we only could !

Last edited:
For Strax. Spotted his new favorite Gr. 1 car.
Ah don't get me wrong, I'm sure the car is great actually. I've probably got the wrong tune for it (wrong for me and my stupid G29, to be fair) but it's a widely used Gr.1 so I know it has to be good. The track itself doesn't help either, first sector is just a mixture of 90° corners which an old prototype definitely doesn't like. I won't give up on the 787B though!

3) Porsche 356 Special @ Laguna Seca

I was supposed to do this with the Speedster as said by the randomizer, but I only had the coupe and not enough money to buy the Speedster so I went with that one instead. Tuned it up to 550pp after giving it a try with an almost stock car and failing miserably, turns out it was too much. But, it was super fun regardless! If I manage to find some time to grind and buy the Speedster I'll give it another try with it, or simply race with the coupe again. Fun shenanigans on this event!

View attachment 1369363
Seeing this livery makes me happy because it's the one Sam Tordoff had on his 356 at the Goodwood Revival. He pushed the car to the absolute limit and it was great to watch.

Back