Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 4,413 comments
On a sidenote ... I really like Eiger Nordwand. I like the narrow twisty tracks. I'm one of these people who'd die for a Citta di Aria Circuit Experience. :lol:
I can take or leave Eiger in GT7. Specifically, I'll take the forward version if need be, and leave the reverse... Weirdly, I would do unspeakable things to get to drive Citta di Aria anywhere outside of GT4.

I. LOVE. THAT. TRACK.

IMO Eiger Nordwand has realistic hill climb energy, while...

Citta di Aria has psychotic 1980s Group B rally energy.

Both are technical, but Citta di Aria feels a lot faster and flowing to me. Eiger crushes my soul when I get to the hairpins - then I fall off the mountain. My soul leaves my body at Citta di Aria because surprise wall at 200kph. Citta di Aria wins because I die smiling.
Why do I always have this scene pop up in my head whenever I am racing on the Eiger Nordwand? Lol
1723963772159.png

I had high hopes for a cool week with fun races but it didn't quite turn out that way. I'm a bit disappointed. What can I say ... You can't always ... ? Mick Jagger knows best !

Yamagiwa
What a boring race. The car class is too slow to be fun on this track. Nail the pedal or the right analog stick :sly: - there's not much more to it. And I had been as optimistic as to start with the RCZ restricted to 400 PP to find out that Lopez in the Clio doesn't care. Needed a second attempt for the win, then using the full stock setup. CRB received !

WC1_R.jpg

Wait ! The car doesn't take off here ? It's definitely too slow !

Nürburgring GP
Yamagiwa's been boring, the same goes for this event. Ok, I don't like this GP track, the Sprint layout is even worse ... but hey : The most interesting detail was that the Evo IX seems to be one of the cars affected by one of these new physics bugs as after T1 it suddenly started to jump and get uncontrollable :odd: ( sry if this is old hat for you ) ! CRB received nevertheless !

WC2_R.jpg

Nailing the apex first, then losing control out of nowhere ...

Eiger Nordwand
Used three performance stages of the V40. The 440 PP stock car was best of the rest, I never got in reach of a group of five frontrunners. The 460 PP version with SH tires and racing ECU was a winner, it's not been a great race though with too much minor contact :ouch: - I didn't like it. Adding a turbo for 495 PP made the car quick enough for optimizing overtakes and finally receiving a CRB !

WC3_R.jpg

Flora at Eiger is way sweeter than racing a stock Volvo around the Reverse layout.

Dragon Trail
Best event this week. Not as easy as expected after reading some comments here, because some AI rabbits ( I look at you Sierra Cosworth and RCR Civic ) can get seriously fast and furious when being overtaken. Still ... how can I have a hard time at Yamagiwa in a 400 PP car and win this one just like that ? :rolleyes: CRB received of course !

WC4_R.jpg

Speaking of flow : Dragon Trail for sure has !

Suzuka
Couldn't get me motivated for this event for whatever reason :boggled: - might be the fact I don't like dynamic weather, might be this feel we've been here before a couple times now. So I went minimum effort, did one race with the bone stock Viper suggested by the randomizer and came in third. 5 seconds. Not sure if I could go much faster - this car's a brick in my hands. No CRB received !

WC5_R.jpg

If we want someone to have a good time we say MACH'S GUT in Germany. And sometimes we say MAXWELL.

As for the photos - sry everyone - I've been totally uninspired this time ( because the events were ? ) to a point that I thought it's a brilliant idea to show one car for race 1, two cars for race 2, ... :lol:

I. LOVE. THAT. TRACK.

IMO Eiger Nordwand has realistic hill climb energy, while...

Citta di Aria has psychotic 1980s Group B rally energy.

Wow, that's the way you look at it ? Some kind of meta level thinking ! 👍

To me both tracks got a similar appeal despite differences in speed or flow. It's that maximum challenge the track itself provides, the need to find these tiny bits to be really fast, with little room for error, just a small step from success to disaster. Can't explain much better.
Mt. Panorama is another one in my book.

Last edited:
What bugs me about some of these races is that you have to use upgraded cars to win. I like keeping all my cars completely stock, so they force you to use a beefed-up car. Like the Volvo, Kei cars and Silvia’s for example.

Also, every racing instructor out there teaches under “normal” racing conditions you approach a corner “slow in, fast out” yet the AI is programmed “fast in, slow out” so they run into the back of you and you blow past them at the exit of every corner. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Would you happen to have a giood tune for the V40?
Try this one from Exeter. This is what I use:

I finished the WC last night while my son was watching me which made it interesting. He would be a distraction every so often so I had a few restarts. I started at Suzuka with the 787b but that took a couple restarts due too much talking. Next I used the swapped MR2. I haven't raced at seaside trail much so it made for close racing do my bad racing 🤣
I actually had a easy time at Eiger reverse after spending sooooo much time there last week😁
I used the WRX Gr.B road car and final race I put my bazooka out the Valkyrie to get the final race over with. Of course I had to make it fun by having a spectacular crash that dropped my 30 second lead down to 1 sec 🤣🤣🤣 but somehow I was able to pull and get a 30 second win 😁. On to next week

The Suzuka race was very messy for me, I used the Huracan GT3 and the rain hit hard mid-lap. The AI were spinning like crazy with cars littering the circuit all over the place but after pitting for inters we all got back on track and maintained the race with me holding up 1st position

Eventually, once the circuit dried up enough, I switched to Hards 1 lap ahead of the AI (they'd last me until the end of the race) which worked out except for a few moments where I strayed into the wet areas and another moment where my TV decided it wanted to switch to a completely black screen. I could only tell from the controller vibrating that my first press of the Start button hadn't paused the game, and when I eventually got the screen back on my car was in a barrier. :banghead: Luckily I had pulled out just enough of a lead to hold onto 1st.

Last edited:
The Race of Turbo Sportscars at Dragon Trail Seaside inspired me to drive a car I've not touched in GT7, and in doing so find an absolute demon in the <700PP category. No idea on fuel and tyre use, as it's not applicable in this race, but I completely dominated and was in the lead not long after starting lap 2, and ended up winning by over 45s!

Subaru WRX STi Isle of Man '16.

Bucket loads of grip, power in abundance, and insanely predictable handling.

Anyone know if this car is any good at things like the WTC700 at Le Mans?? Fuel and tyre use are the key factors in that series. With the amount of pace advantage this thing seems to have, I wonder if it's quick enough to afford more pits stops!

Would you happen to have a giood tune for the V40?
I just bought a new V40, gave it RH tires, maxed out the weight reduction, and I think I bought the racing brakes and suspension. I didn't adjust the settings at all. This was meant to be a quick, brute force, "overpower the AI and move on" type of build.
I would try the setup @2cam16 linked if you want a "true" tune.
The Race of Turbo Sportscars at Dragon Trail Seaside inspired me to drive a car I've not touched in GT7, and in doing so find an absolute demon in the <700PP category. No idea on fuel and tyre use, as it's not applicable in this race, but I completely dominated and was in the lead not long after starting lap 2, and ended up winning by over 45s!

Anyone know if this car is any good at things like the WTC700 at Le Mans?? Fuel and tyre use are the key factors in that series. With the amount of pace advantage this thing seems to have, I wonder if it's quick enough to afford more pits stops!
Incidentally, I tried this car at Le Mans yesterday! It is OK there, but not one of my favorites. It burns a little too much fuel. I needed to short-shift and/or lift and coast to get 3 laps of fuel on FM6 (which of course kills your power advantage).
I did get the win, though (I'm a pretty average driver on Normal difficulty).

Last edited:
Incidentally, I tried this car at Le Mans yesterday! It is OK there, but not one of my favorites. It burns a little too much fuel. I needed to short-shift and/or lift and coast to get 3 laps of fuel on FM6 (which of course kills your power advantage).
But did it bring you the win? 🤔

It did! It was just a bit closer than I would have liked (I forgot the exact win margin). I'm a pretty average driver, on Normal difficulty.
Nice one. I'll give it a try at some stage - just need to find a suitable livery for it!

For anyone who hasn't tried it: it demolishes the field in the Turbo Sportscars races, so give it a go if you're wondering what to use.

Someone mentioned it before but this is a really weird set of events difficulty wise and to be honest highlights something I'm not sure how they screw up so consistently? How can you win in a 500pp car in the 700pp Turbo event and then have to use a car far higher than the limit in events like the Silvia Sisters. I don't know if they're inept or just don't care. Or both.
Regardless; this week.

Race 1: European Sunday Cup 400.
Great example of what I was literally just talking about. 400 is a struggle to win with on this one.. and it's a Sunday Cup?? Why is a Sunday Cup harder to win within regulations than a late game event! Coque is absolutely rapid in a line in that Clio, but thankfully the AI remain unable to navigate Kyoto to make it too much of a challenge and they were promptly dusted by a stock Merak on CM.
View attachment 1381808
It's very interesting to see the disconnect between the difficulty of this event, recommended car PP level and the difficulty of the other European 400 events. It feels like that one was intended as a chilli rated event. I managed it eventually with a 400pp car on hard difficulty, but every other event in the European 400 series is a piece of piss compared to that one even on hard difficulty.

Attachments

• Gran Turismo™ 7_20240819122128.jpg
    Gran Turismo™ 7_20240819122128.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Another nice set of races, except for Eiger where I struggle more than usual! Managed to claw a second place after two or three failed attempts, despite adding what I could to the Volvo (which didn't seem to make that much difference for some reason).

Gifted Cr. 100k, 200k and 500k, so nice little earner!

Last edited:

Stock ? And did you use the DRS ? :D

Yes, a wonderful recommendation. A great handling car, you just hop in and race. Very enjoyable, very fast, very stable - it's one of the very few cars I dare tackle the chicane of death with without shifting gears. :lol:
Did three races with quite similar results, it's easy to be consistent with the car. Hard race mode, no DRS used, taking the lead in lap 2, 42 seconds ahead of P2 at the line.

WC6_R.jpg

It's a time attack car and that's what you mainly use it for in this event. :D

Last edited:
Based on the LCD choices, let me take a wild guess what race is being featured tomorrow. :lol:
Everyone... together on three...
I wonder which track though, as Fuji and Suzuka have taken place now. 🤔
Autopolis, I guess...

Last edited:
Back