What have you done to your car today?

Got my replacement koni yellows installed into my stock spring sleeve. Then I installed Street Spec Springs which are slightly shorter. All of it went rather well, I've only hurt myself twice.
DA8BB0C8-7597-450B-A28E-4F718C4A76FC_zpskfjqywj7.jpg

D3C3D8EE-6735-45BE-9C2A-DA63DD0E4BE3_zpskoyzohjd.jpg

After running "The Snake" up in Topanga Canyon for a week straight in the wee hours of the morning, It needed a bit of cleaning. Brake dust is just everywhere! I also installed my S tires for the summer - Pirelli P Zero Rosso 205f / 255r - here's to hoping it lasts a bit longer than the Michelin Pilots or the Goodyear F1s !
null_zpsd75e0782.jpg

Yep, I ended up replacing all 4 rotors the next day, as well as the handbrake shoes. It's getting to the point that I need to cut down on expenses on this car and start driving it a bit slower. :boggled:
0B772F25-F85A-4DE7-8900-E71D090EFB24_zpseoavmfyh.jpg

null_zpse86a792c.jpg

Did some trial and error to find the cause of the miss at idle on my dad's 2000 Legacy GT-B. Replaced the left hand side spark plugs, from Bosch to Platnium NGKs. Replaced the coil packs while we were there as it's a common problem, and found one had blown.

Tomorrow's job is to replace the blown coil pack, replace the right hand side spark plugs, test the coil packs on that side, install an airfilter (didn't have one, weirdly :boggled:) and switch the steering wheel from the donor as the current is quite worn.

Not technically today, but a couple of things done to the 205 this week. Firstly, I took my car in for a Terraclean service. For those who are unfamiliar, it involves a process of pumping highly refined fuel and stuff (stop me if I'm getting too technical) through the engine to clean any deposits that have built up over time. I had a discount voucher for the service so I thought I might as well.

After a couple of days, I can say that I certainly notice a difference! The car idled pretty poorly before, and although it still isn't perfect, it has certainly improved. The throttle response is noticeably sharper, and whilst I haven't really given it the beans yet, I notice more power low down in the rev range - where it would previously stutter in slow traffic, it now picks up smoothly. The process is also claimed to improve fuel economy, so I'll wait and see if there is any difference there too.

The other thing I did was find and fit these:

14115856893_6a9292b160_o.jpg

They are the fixings for the handle on the sliding sunroof. I needed new ones after one just kind of flew off as I was driving along the motorway.. Peugeot don't make them anymore, so finding brand new ones has been an ongoing (8 month) struggle! I've finally been able to remove the brown tape covering the two little holes in the sunroof glass!

Did some further work to the Legacy, replaced the right hand side spark plugs and swapped around the coil packs from parts cars to see if it made any difference, which it didn't. Then hooked up the car to my laptop with EvoScan to find any fault codes. Other than the pre-existing IACV valve and MAF sensor codes (which proves that the IACV valve was faulty, a good hunch by my dad. The MAF sensor code was from him starting it up without one) there were no codes.

As it was getting put back together, the fault returned. Initial thought the IACV valve had started sticking again, so we pulled that out and it seemed fine. Swapped another one into it from a very low mileage parts car for it too have no effect. Decided to take a quick video, apologies for the bad quality.

Any ideas?

Edit: Turns out the MAF sensor we put in crapped out, so put the old one back in and it's back to how it was before, but still has a miss.

The fault is similar to the one in the video, but the rev drop isn't as big. The drops are within a 100 rpm of each other (738rpm to 780rpm, etc.).

Last edited:
Replaced the air filter. That's it. In other news I have to sort out my weedwhacker. The two piece starter spool that was joined with a spring that snapped. So far sheet metal and zipties failed so I guess I'll have to make something else...

Not quite today...but yesterday I gave my car the detail it needed! Brought it into work whilst off the clock and gave it a nice bath. Also cleaned up the interior after all the dirt from the winter and finally removed the dealer sticker!

Before:
10288714_10203922542323312_5264513162736034087_n.jpg

After:
10329306_10203922541243285_2198899096717059510_n.jpg

Wheels got some cleaning as well.

Before:
10270592_10203922541883301_1011945644380735602_n.jpg

After:
10320519_10203922540723272_8153300348875595722_n.jpg

And finally the rear with the sticker removal.
Before:
10255905_10203922541963303_1943393539315627822_n.jpg

After:
10344802_10203922540523267_1898021848093933056_n.jpg

I recently renewed registration on my E30 and did an oil change on the Mazda 6.

04 WRX
  • Oil change
  • Alternator belt
  • Started detailing the interior with tooth brush and random shiny fluids
  • Kartboy short throw shifter (very happy with this upgrade)
  • Kartboy front poly shifter bushings (major improvement)
  • Kartboy rear poly shifter bushings (massive improvement with shifting)
  • New black lug nuts
  • Replaced the center armrest extension with a shorter armrest. So much better.
69 Camaro
  • Took it for the first shaker run of the year. Some squeaking inside the dash behind my custom gauge cluster pod driving me nuts. I will have to resolve that noise asap. :ouch:
  • Started cleaning / detailing the wheels and interior. That is also going to take quite a bit of work.
  • New coil overs will need to be adjusted a little. Currently on setting 3, will need to be set to at least 4 or 5 for daily driving.
  • Going to a car show tonight if it quits raining.
  • Noticed the 10 year old Centerforce Dual Friction LT1 clutch is finally starting to get tired. Will have to consider replacing it in the near future.

Last edited:
Scrapped the carbon hatchback idea; Carbon Creations doesn't have the best reputation and my hood's fitment wasn't quite perfect enough for my eye, so I didn't want to take the risk. Instead, I got these:

13962280877_b23542b3a0_o.jpg

Black-housed headlights with Morimoto Mini H1 bixenon projectors, relay harness, and high-beam splitters. I'm ordering 5000k bulbs and 35w ballasts. The passenger side arrived a bit broken, so I've been fixing that. The shroud came off because of a broken shroud-centric ring, and the headlight housing was cracking apart where the projector was mounted. All is well now though, it's fixed and I'll be getting a new ring with the bulbs+ballasts, as well as a partial refund from the seller while he deals with a USPS insurance claim. I miss the hell out of my Accord's HID setup, so I can't wait to get these running.

These next couple weeks will see a few new parts as well, to "finish" what I want done with the RSX, so I can finally get going on my H22 build...

I didnt take any pics but I had to re-attatch the crank pully on my '87 300zx daily... the bolt apparently just backed its way out, luckily it was still actually in the pully...

I didnt take any pics but I had to re-attatch the crank pully on my '87 300zx daily... the bolt apparently just backed its way out, luckily it was still actually in the pully...
I have seen this happen to 3 different vehicles. Luckily you caught it soon enough. My neighbor wasn't so lucky several years ago. His bolt worked its way loose and shredded the end of his crankshaft. Hard to notice this since you really cant see the bolt unless you truly go out of your way to look for it.

Last edited:
^ Got pics? I do love those first two gens of Eclipse/Talon.

I got a free sub and amp from a friend, so I got that hooked up last night. First time I've had bass in my own car. I listen to a lot of rock and metal along with the rap, so it's only 200amps or something like that (don't know much about this stuff). Still a tiny bit much for my taste, but I'm enjoying it. Got a full set of Kicker 5.25 speakers to go with it; the RSX has a really stupid speaker setup, and the adapters I got from Crutchfield for 6.5's don't actually fit in the car because the speaker covers in the door cards dip in too much :irked:

Andddd I finally got my M5 registered and plated in Washington over the weekend.

>No power steering

Did that to my Accord. Absolutely loved the road feel.

As for me, I got this installed:

14240539714_6a6710c745_b.jpg

Left the resonator on and it sounds really low and dull, so I'll go back in soon and see what it's like without.

^ Got pics? I do love those first two gens of Eclipse/Talon.

I got a free sub and amp from a friend, so I got that hooked up last night. First time I've had bass in my own car. I listen to a lot of rock and metal along with the rap, so it's only 200amps or something like that (don't know much about this stuff). Still a tiny bit much for my taste, but I'm enjoying it. Got a full set of Kicker 5.25 speakers to go with it; the RSX has a really stupid speaker setup, and the adapters I got from Crutchfield for 6.5's don't actually fit in the car because the speaker covers in the door cards dip in too much :irked:
10242427_20111129193126.jpg

Damn, TE37s. It's a good look for the car.

I never posted the pics I took during the headlight install. May as well:

14174893890_973f7b9fff_b.jpg

14174987197_e38a6c3b2d_o.png

Also, I painted a valve cover for an Accord my friend picked up. We pulled the engine to replace some seals and thought it would be cool to match the valve cover to the body. Came out pretty well for a rattle can...

14381563503_536149fb2f_b.jpg

14359855432_d59aecdf21_b.jpg

You can see the mistake on the near corner here. I tried using some 3M pinstriping masking tape to mimic the thin stripes that run the length of the car and while adjusting the tape it peeled some paint off. I had already run out of the factory paint at this point, so it had to stay. I gave up for fear of risking more damage.

14360495454_78917730e9_b.jpg

14381558753_7b00206122_b.jpg

14361371435_8f3f4cc1aa_b.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced the front brake pads on mom's car and lost a small metal piece that ratcheted on the rear drum star wheel. Also found some nice white and crusty spark plugs. So that's where all the oil was going...

It's my shop's car and not my personal car, but this is what we spent the last week working on.

Stripping the E92 by maximstensel, on Flickr

On Monday this was a fully-functional 2008 M3 with a full interior, by yesterday it was a stripped car, running and driving, with all the fluff features gone and ready for a cage. Wiring took most of the week, we probably stripped 200lb in infotainment and convenience modules and their related wiring alone. Also, these cars are HORRIBLE to strip, the wiring is an absolute disaster, with important things and unimportant things on the same plugs and harnesses. In comparison an E46 model is a cakewalk, almost everything you'd want to take out is on its own harness with a plug on each end.

There's work done under the hood, too. All the climate control stuff is gone, which includes bypassing the removed heater core lines and pulling the A/C stuff, and we're in the process of building a custom intake to replace the plenum with individual stacks over the ITBs and also converting the power steering system to a custom electrohydraulic one.

Last edited:
TCS modules on F-Bodies are located right in the middle of the engine bay. Trying to cut down on the clutter so I moved it out of the way (free like to anyone who can spot it :lol:)

Before:
7040068beforee.PNG

After:

5822256After.PNG

Last edited:
A bit of a delay but this is what I did this weekend.

Start of the day.

316 MotorWorks Shop

Bye bye band-aid

:eek:

:cheers:

Stock Shifter and bushings

Kartboy Short Throw and Bushings

The difference :rolleyes: (Sorry I tried)

Then onto the headlights (dont have a clear "Before" but reference pics above)

Sticker, new plate frame, and summer wheels back on!

And next day after a wash. (iPhone pic...) I want to take some real pictures soon but been very busy. (Ill show yall later)

Some of the toys around the shop.

I drove to Miami with this on the hood.

It covers the giant crack in my hood and looks ultra elegant to boost resale value.

I felt like driving for a while without my spoiler, and a bolt head snapped trying to take it off. Took it to a body shop, and to have the threaded insert replaced, the thing was so seized in there.

For probably a couple weeks the wing was just sitting in my apartment, and one day I was playing Gran Turismo. The wing just sitting there... there was a GT logo in my growing pile of car parts stickers... this might be a questionable modification. Not only am I usually against putting stickers on paint, but I now have a huge video game sticker on my car, and now I'm thinking about getting a Hatebreed skull for the other side, just to balance things out...

14429374167_0e2edf9a98_b.jpg

Chrome Line stripes, anyone?

Latest Posts

Back