Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 877 comments
I ended up getting the RX-V373 :)

img1109w.jpg

img1111vd.jpg

I've wanted to upgrade my "man cave" in the attic for quite some time now, and slowly it's coming together quite nicely.

As it's quite a small room (3 by 4 meters roughly) I didn't want any clutter and I was searching for quite some time for some budget solution which offers a bit of quality nevertheless.

Finally I found the Onkyo HTX-22HDX, a 2.1 system with integrated subwoover/amp with the option to go 5.1. It's got a very small footprint, and the amp is quite decent feature wise. The inner components are almost up to par with full fledged amps.

Though it shows Onkyo had to make some compromises somewhere, the speakers aren't that well suited for music and will serve as rear speakers in the future when I upgrade to JBL One. The subwoover packs quite a punch nevertheless and I hope it profits from some damping.

But, all things considering, it's a very decent purchase, features 3 HDMI inputs (no picture processing, but ample sound processing for those who wish) and a good quality set in this entry level price bracket.

The video part gets done by an Acer H5360BD (the 10 meter HDMI cable being no problem). It's DLP, 720p and after getting a bit used to I hardly notice the rainbow effect anymore. The Acer should be very decent indeed for 3D, and shutter glasses are my birthday gif so I'm very excited to see what GT 5 and Uncharted 3 look like in 3D.

The projector is a real gem, again considering the price, and while it's lacking any lens shift correction options, it's a nice brick shape. Very handy, as I could simply flip it and stick some rubber spacers on the "top" and put it upside down on my Ikea shelve.

Turns out it has the perfect picture size for the viewing distance that way and I enjoy quite a crisp and bright picture with a width of ~170 cm, which is absolutely staggering.

Media is served by the PS3, and although Sony messed up the multimedia capabilities seriously by the 4.x firmware update, my NAS stored media and live (SD) TV coming from a linux powered Sat STB running enigma 2 are available and everything works very well.

So in conclusion:

• for the price and size a very solid subwoover/amp, which will profit from better front speakers in the near future (269 €)
  • a surprisingly good and handy DLP projector, if you can adjust to the RBE - which I could with no problem at all - and which should be really performing well in 3D (549 €)
  • a nice 180 cm width canvas (gain factor 1.2) - bought used/defect and will get modded some time (30 €)

Two years ago I'd never thought I get all this for under 1000 € and though I made some compromises in the audio department, it's been money very well spent. I'd whole-heartedly recommend this entry level setup as it packs quite some bang for the buck.

Two pictures included, you'll notice the wiring is only temporary and the furniture not quite in place yet. Been too busy enjoying my new toys.

The projector blends in nicely with the wall color - pure coincidence.

Spa 24 hours live - on the big screen quite a treat.

*awakes old thread*

My set up is as follows: (every single bit I got second hand, I really havn't paid much in total)

Amp: Denon pma-255UK
Cd Player: Harmon/Kardon fl 8450
Tuner: technics st-x880l
Turntable: technics sl-j100r
Speakers: Tannoy 605 (le's i think, as they are bi wired compatible, with gold plated contacts). I got these for nothing off a generous AV guy I know!

Before the tannoys I was using a pair of wharfedale e50's. Loud as hell, but too bloody big.

Only think that imo really lets my system down is the cheapness of my cabling (excluding the cd to amp cable). So yeah, my set up was pretty cheap compared to some, but it sounds freaking awesome, so I'm happy. Next port of call, new cables!

excuse my french but NO *******G WAY :P i have 605 mark II's and they sound really good, got them hooked up to a technics SU-7700 and a technics SL-PS770A and it all sounds fantastic :) i'm only 16 and it's all i can afford right now but they sound far better than our neighbours £950 B&W's, he actually admitted it and was rather impressed with them considering they cost me £60 haha

ItsHim
Finally I found the Onkyo HTX-22HDX, a 2.1 system with integrated subwoover/amp with the option to go 5.1. It's got a very small footprint, and the amp is quite decent feature wise. The inner components are almost up to par with full fledged amps.

Though it shows Onkyo had to make some compromises somewhere, the speakers aren't that well suited for music and will serve as rear speakers in the future when I upgrade to JBL One. The subwoover packs quite a punch nevertheless and I hope it profits from some damping.

A quick update:

I mounted a pair of the JBL Control 1 instead of the Onkyo speakers and am a very happy bunny now.

I know what people say about them, being manufactured in China now and them being hopelessly old fashioned and the market moved on in the last 20 years, but for 99€ (pair) and the wonderful harsh, revealing and gritty sound, they are still quite a steal. They are a bit Robert DeNiro "you're looking at me?" style, and I totally like that. Makes me feel like hanging out in the clubs and bars of the 90s again.

Turns out at 100 Hz crossover frequency, the sub and the JBL live as a happy couple and at 2.5 meters listening distance, it's a near perfect and satisfying setup for the money.

The stereo image opened up very nicely, the sub profited from raising its height a bit (more than dampening), and I got a nice 4.1 setup with no clutter or the need to store a full fledged AVR. I'm not really a 5.1 guy anyway.

Job done I'd say.

NAD 2400 THX amplifier
- 4 channels, bridgeable
- 100 watts continuous power @ 8 ohms
- 800 watts of head room

NAD_Electronics_Monitor_Series_2400_Power_Amplifier.jpg

Klipsch Forte speakers
- High efficiently
- 98db @ 1 watt
- 100 watts continuous
- 400 watts peak

klipsch_forte_ii_2.jpg

Technic SU-G50
- Got it for free with some speakers :lol:
- Built in amp, 40 watts per channel or something like that.
- Using it as a preamp and bypassing its internal amp
- Not a great sounding preamp, but it was free and completes the system nonetheless.

158.jpg

Polk Audio RM20 subwoofer
- 12" with built in 100 watt amp
- Taken from surround sound system
- Ported out of the bottom

x107RM20-o_subOPEN.jpeg

All this is going in a dorm room, so hopefully my floor likes my music.

RCA 2044 Speakers
- Had these laying around so I hooked them up and put 'em under the futon.

41QEVAHRPJL._AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
This is my current setup.

Yamaha RXV667 amplifier
5.1 Jamo A102 HCS5
Sony Bravia TV 40" (Not sure of the model name)

Panasonic Veira TC-P50ST30 (50 inch plasma, saved all my money from a summer job a few years ago to buy it. :D)

Panasonic SA-BTT490 Blu-Ray/5.1 Surround Sound

Original fat PS2
Xbox 360
Wii, which I don't use anymore and should sell.
WD 2TB hard drive for watching movies and TV

Technics SL-Q20 vinyl player

Logitech G25

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I need to get the good camera for this.

8480999864_ed4aafb580_k.jpg

Boston Acoustics XS Digital Cinema

The sub to the right and the 2 speakers beside the poster, with the headphones hanging from them.

The sub isn't big, but god damn does it kick like it is. Badass deal for $400.

Last edited:
4 PSB Image B6 bookshelfs
image_b6_2.jpg

1 PSB Alpha Center
x760_ALPC1_B_T.jpg

1 PSB Subsonic 5i Subwoofer
PSB_Subsonic_5i.jpg

Denon 5.1 receiver (not sure of model number as its packed and ready to be set up in new house!)
10199397.jpg

And of course, the behemoth of a Subwoofer; The 1000 watt 15'' folded Horn.
Made for the REAL deep stuff.
IMG_5470.jpg

I ended up getting the RX-V373 :)

haha when saw this i knew it was a Yamaha

i have an RX-371. to be honest with you some times it lacks power with just 100watts.(measured in my multimeter to be 110watts with a fixed load) i'm using NS-7390's as my fronts(87 db/w).

2ih2ixi.jpg

wvzl2t.jpg

Last edited:
also a question to you guys:

how helpful did the added center do to your surround experiance?

i have generic sony (MTM) center which is not very good, bad frequency response i have it disabled

HamXa
also a question to you guys:

how helpful did the added center do to your surround experiance?

i have generic sony (MTM) center which is not very good, bad frequency response i have it disabled

Its vital in my opinion, without it nothing locks the vocal element into place for most speech and it also significantly helps with sounds panning across the front. To be honest without one you have a big hole in you're sound stage in the place you don't want a hole, the screen. I actually dropped more money on my centre speaker than any of my others.

Being fairly heavy into the audio hobby I'm surprised I didn't see this thread before.

Living Room Home theater:

Samsung LN46A750 46-Inch 1080p DLNA LCD.
Teac AG-D9320 Marantz NR-1403 HT receiver.
PSB Stratus Silver main speakers
PSB Stratus C6 Center channel
Paradigm Micro rear speakers
Energy e:XL-S12 subwoofer
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray player

Basement 2 Channel Music

Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated Amp
Musical Fidelity A3.2CD CD player
Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
Teac Reference DS-H01 iPod/iPad dock.
Cardas Cross speaker cable
Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen 2 interconnect - Dock to amp
Cardas Hexlink Golden 5c interconnect - CD to Amp
Cardas Quadlink power cord x2. One on amp and CD.

2 Channel System

[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/mikeybc/media/System1_zpsd0b8d642.jpg.html][/URL]
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vbudg&1365185849

Back upstairs in the dining room we also have for background music an XM receiver hooked a Marantz HT receiver driving Rega 2's. Also not in use are another 3 pairs of speakers sitting in a storage room though I put them in rotation on the background system.

Last edited:
I'll upload a pic once I get one good enough. Until then...the basics.

We moved into a new house and something I genuinely wanted was a theater, so we bought an HD projector. It is a BenQ MW519, and a decent ceiling mount. We mounted it and hooked it up to the DirecTV box, we also hooked up the PS3. The projector is about 15 feet from the wall and makes, what effectively is, a 11 ft, 10 in. television. We then bought a relatively cheap Sony sound system: 2 small speakers and a subwoofer.

My theater on a budget, less than $1000 for the whole deal. It has been finished off with a popcorn machine, cotton candy maker, and a snowball machine and a mini-fridge.

^ Nice, dude! We're in about the same situation. The house we just moved into has a dedicated theater room. After repurposing what I already had, the entire thing set me back between $1,000-1,100. I'll get some picks posted up shortly.

Current setup:

^ Nice, dude! We're in about the same situation. The house we just moved into has a dedicated theater room. After repurposing what I already had, the entire thing set me back between $1,000-1,100. I'll get some picks posted up shortly.

Current setup:

Projector - BenQ W1070
Receiver - Sony STR-DE895
Sub - Yamaha YST-SW105
Left and right speakers - Sony SS-AV33
Center channel - Sony SS-CN550H
Surrounds - Niles CM7BG
PS3/Blu Ray - Original 80Gb, now with SSD
Remote - Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Pictures here.

My wife and I watched Django Unchained last night. Keep in mind that she "says" if it wasn't for me she'd be fine with a black and white 13" TV with a VCR. After the movie finished, she said "I really like your theater" "I'm never going to a movie again" and "I think I know what we're doing every Saturday this winter." Oh, and also "can you turn it down?" :lol:

Last edited:
TB
Oh, and also "can you turn it down?" :lol:

:lol: I just saw this. Sound like my wife exactly. UGH! Don't they know that if you can't feel it, you really aren't experiencing all that the system you designed has to offer? :D

I'd tell her "If it's too loud, you're too old" but as she is slightly older than I am, she might get upset. And I rather enjoy sleeping in my bed. :lol:

Ummm.... I would rather sleep in bed to. :lol:

When the kids are a little older it will be different (I hope). We can only watch movies after the kids go to bed, and well....the volume I like to watch movies would wake the dead so that's out. A sound proof room is out of the question in case the little guy wakes up scared, etc. So....by the time the kids are old enough where momma isn't worrying about them, all my gear will be vintage (as technology goes) and it won't matter anyways. So now I sit and watch movies alone, WITH MY HEADPHONES! :D

Awesome Setup TB!
TYVM. :D

Your setup looks damn clean! How is the sub? I have an 8" 100 watt that does the job but I'd like a bit more punch. Not a lot, just a bit. :lol:

After using the theater room for the last few months, I still absolutely love it. I'm itching to be rockin' either a 7.1 or 9.1 setup, but Christmas is right around the corner. ;)

Also, after a former co-worker forwarded a video of a DIY screen using spandex, I'm seriously contemplating building one as every once in a while the texture on the wall is visible. It should only set me back about $100, the fabric company sells both white and grey spandex and I can get $1 samples to see the actual color before I decide to pull the trigger. The other benefit to the DIY is instead of having to go with a stock store bought 150" screen, I can build it the same 163" I'm currently projecting. 👍

TB
TYVM. :D

Your setup looks damn clean! How is the sub? I have an 8" 100 watt that does the job but I'd like a bit more punch. Not a lot, just a bit. :lol:

It is really quite awesome. With movies like Avengers it shakes the windows / bookshelves and those blinds behind it constantly... at the right frequency even the garage door starts rumbling :lol:.

Of course the best thing I like is that the control dial is on the front so you can easily turn it down if its too much, which comes in handy when playing dire straits or other classic rock, you don't want too much bass over riding the song.

But then you can turn it right back up when getting drunk and listening to club music :lol:

TB
After using the theater room for the last few months, I still absolutely love it. I'm itching to be rockin' either a 7.1 or 9.1 setup, but Christmas is right around the corner. ;)

Also, after a former co-worker forwarded a video of a DIY screen using spandex, I'm seriously contemplating building one as every once in a while the texture on the wall is visible. It should only set me back about $100, the fabric company sells both white and grey spandex and I can get $1 samples to see the actual color before I decide to pull the trigger. The other benefit to the DIY is instead of having to go with a stock store bought 150" screen, I can build it the same 163" I'm currently projecting. 👍
Sounds like a great Christmas present indeed :D.

@Korza , I work at Harvey Norman so I managed to get a deal on the equipment, but to give you a rough Idea I have that packaged up to sell to a customer for 3200 AUD.

I have an older Phillips/Magnavox stereo receiver, sub and two shelf speakers hooked up to it. It's an older system, but I run my computer out to it and play my FLAC CD rips with foobar2000 and they SING.

You can spend ridiculous amounts of money and get all kinds of special cabling etc. Just check out the Steve Hoffman or Head-fi forums and you'll know what I mean. Trust your ears. If it sounds good enough to you, then there's no need to spend more money.

I hope I get to!! :D

Looking to order in some Polk TSI 550's for sale as well.
I had a great run selling the Polk TSI 300's and looking to get the replacement 330's in.

I was very happy with them.

Back