Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 877 comments
Okay, I'm looking at a basic all-rounder setup. I'm getting a Yamaha RXV371 amp, with a Panasonic DMPBD75 and an XBox360 hooked up to it. Pair of Mission MV2s for speakers.

Essentially baby's first separates setup. I'm a skint student, waddaya expect? Only £260 too! xD

It'll basically run game through the XBox, CDs, DVDs and Blurays through the Pana, and a jack-to-phono lead to connect my X1050 to the inputs. I dislike the fact that separate Walkman docks are no longer in production. :(

This is all for a 32ld320, mind you. Hardly possible to let down the side in audio with that in video.

Okay, I'm looking at a basic all-rounder setup. I'm getting a Yamaha RXV371 amp, with a Panasonic DMPBD75 and an XBox360 hooked up to it. Pair of Mission MV2s for speakers.

Essentially baby's first separates setup. I'm a skint student, waddaya expect? Only £260 too! xD

It'll basically run game through the XBox, CDs, DVDs and Blurays through the Pana, and a jack-to-phono lead to connect my X1050 to the inputs. I dislike the fact that separate Walkman docks are no longer in production. :(

This is all for a 32ld320, mind you. Hardly possible to let down the side in audio with that in video.

Never under-estimate eBay if you want good value for money on separates or speakers... you might not get bang-up-to-date tech, but you will get far more bang-for-your-buck.

Well, this isn't what the PS3 is hooked up to (don't own that system), but I fancy myself a bit of an audiophile, and this is what my bedroom setup consists of:

Pioneer XZ-9:
More info/specs:

Pioneer PL-90:
More info/Specs:

Not the be-all-end-all of audio systems, but for a relatively compact setup it has killer sound regardless of what the audio source is! :cool:

Totally read the above username wrong.

Couple of really nice set-ups above.

Though Jarumie, that HDR hurts my face.

I guess 'budget' is relative? :) Ballpark figure about ~$2300ish for the entire setup (not all at once - upgraded over time). To put things in perspective, the first HDTV I bought in 2005 cost me north of $2600+tax i.e. well above the cost of my entire system now.

I have to admit, GTP is the last place I would expect someone to point that out - but good eye!

Which pioneer receiver do you have? I was thinking about upgrading my denon to one of the pioneer Elites, and was wondering which one you have and how you like it. I've heard alot of good things about the amps in their Elite series.

Which pioneer receiver do you have? I was thinking about upgrading my denon to one of the pioneer Elites, and was wondering which one you have and how you like it. I've heard alot of good things about the amps in their Elite series.

Well, which Elite model are you looking at? New or used? My parents have an SC-37 and it's quite simply phenomenal. Looks and performs perfectly. It's loaded with features. The SC-57 is quite nice as well if you want to go whole hog, but really, any Elite is quite nice. 👍

However, I may be a wee bit biased - my whole family are Pioneer people through and through! 👍

I just picked up the Sony Surround Sound 7.1 Headset. I was using the television speakers before. So its a pretty big upgrade for me.

images

50 inch LG Plasma TV,
Full 3D Blu-Ray 5.1 Dolby HD Surround Sound,
1000 watts RMS with optical inputs

sounds sick with GT5 and Call Of Duty!!!!!

I'm using a Samsung HT-D6750W Home Theatre.
Everything in it, great sound and no need to run the rear speaker wires to the front :D
But once I moved to my next home I'll get a Harman system for sure.

Guys need some advice. I'm on a budget (£40) and I'm looking for a 5.1 Surround system. I know it's going to be hard, but can someone advise something with a decent spectrum and good sound quality? I've worked in many music studios at college, so I know that once I'm actually earning a decent wage I can upgrade, but I just need something just now for the PS3 and PC.

Would appreciate it. I'm in the UK btw.

Even if you're looking used I think what you're asking is just about impossible. You're better off just hunting for a decent pair of stereo speakers (forget the subwoofer) or maybe a high quality center that you can build around.

Or go with headphones of it's for solo use.

Even if you're looking used I think what you're asking is just about impossible. You're better off just hunting for a decent pair of stereo speakers (forget the subwoofer) or maybe a high quality center that you can build around.

Or go with headphones of it's for solo use.

I've got AKG Headphones, but I don't want to be using headphones all the time, which is why I'm looking for the surround sound. Hmm, I'll check ebay for a bit I guess. :P

Love my movies as much as my gaming :)

The joys of being single mean I can pretty much do what I like, so my garage became a movie room and the dining room became my racing room :D

Equipment wise..:-

JVC HD1 projector for 2D duties
Optoma HD33 projector for 3D duties

Onkyo TX NR 3008 in 9.1 (using DSX front heights)
Oppo 93 Bluray PLayer
BK sub
Ruark speakers across the front
AELite onwall and Mission speakers at the back
+
Onkyo 905 receiver to feed 3 x miniquake transducers (best addition ever)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Upgraded on the weekend my system in the living room.
Setup a Harman Kardon AVR265 with a 5.1 Harman Kardon HKTS60 speaker set.
The sound is just amazing.
Now i need to decide which setup i choose for the step to 7.1.
Either 2 floor standing JBL speaker for front and the Harman front speaker for surround high or two additional Harman speaker for surround side.

BkS
Guys need some advice. I'm on a budget (£40) and I'm looking for a 5.1 Surround system. I know it's going to be hard, but can someone advise something with a decent spectrum and good sound quality? I've worked in many music studios at college, so I know that once I'm actually earning a decent wage I can upgrade, but I just need something just now for the PS3 and PC.

Would appreciate it. I'm in the UK btw.

Try gumtree too, you maybe suprised what you find.

Actually just found this on ebuyer (never bought from them) 5.1 surround sound for £19.99

I'm looking for recommendations on a pair of book shelf speakers and a suitable receiver.

I like the Onkyo range of receivers, they seem to be really good value for money. I have a budget of around £200-£250.

I need a pair of good quality all round book shelf speakers (budget around £100-150).

I have just got a new LED TV and the panel is really flat so the integrated speakers are very tinny. I just want something that goings to give a reasonable sound through the ranges.

Couple of points- The receiver will have incoming audio from my Sky Box and Blu Ray player so I only need two audio inputs.

As of 15 minutes ago I've been using the speaker on the right. It was my mom's but she doesn't use it too often:
2012-06-23_20-38-41_809.jpg

They're not the biggest things in the world, no. But for their size they deliver a hell of a punch. And I was always happy with the one, so two is just fantastic:D

I currently have a Kef 3000 series 5.1 speaker system plugged into an Onkyo TX-NR609 Amp.
42in Panasonic 3D Plasma TV and Panasonic 3D blu-ray player.

It's an astonishing system.

The Onkyo Amp was What Hifi?'s Amp of the year 2011. It is genuinely incredible for the price.

Picture - Sony PS3 to Sony Bravia KDL-40 NX700.

Sound - Yamaha DSP AX3200, Klipsch RF82, 4X Patos 210C, XTZ W99 12.16.

Its a bummer, I do not get to use my HT as I have moved into a flat with annoying Neighbors. It really bugs me!!

Great set up btw Museumsteve, I will post an updated version of mine later

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted here since 2009! OK, late 2009, but still....

My post here listed the setup at the time, in 2006. Almost all gone, now.

I've picked up a couple of things since then. Moved into the 21st century and all.

It took 2 or 3 phases, but everything's up to date with the digital age, now. The Hitachi rear projection TV is gone. It was 4:3, HD capable, with 2 component inputs, and would letter-box to go wide-screen. In its place is a Samsung 51" plasma flat screen, with 3D.

I didn't buy it for the 3D, it didn't even come with glasses (initially,) but it was the only plasma in the store that day that did 1080p as opposed to 720. I wanted plasma because the motion artifacts in LCD screens, even at 120 Hz or even 240, are unwatchable to me. Extremely annoying.

So now I've got an HD set, but no HDMI receiver. I upgraded my cable from the Knology extended basic to Comcast's digital and HD. I got faster Internet at the PC, more channels plus HD, and it's about 3/4 the price. Initially hooked optical out to the receiver from the cable box, and when I got a PS3 I hooked that to the TV via HDMI. Put another optical out from the TV to the receiver for that sound, then discovered that HDMI to optical won't carry all the channels. So now it's time to get a receiver!

Got a Yamaha receiver with HDMI switching, so the cable box feeds the receiver, the PS3 feeds the receiver, the PS2 has component video and optical audio to the receiver, and I've got some other connections so I can keep some legacy equipment in place, and the receiver feeds the TV on HDMI, so the TV is simply an HD monitor.

The DVD player came out as no longer needed. Kept the CD changer, the VCR, and the laserdisc player. The laserdisc outputs composite video and stereo sound to the VCR, and the VCR plays composite video and stereo audio to the receiver. There is no cable TV on the VCR any more, I just use it for old tapes. I also have digital sound on a coax cable from the LD player to the receiver. I also kept the old receiver in place just for its phono input, and its monitor out feeds an input on the Yamaha, so I can still play vinyl (the Yamaha had no phono input, and I can't be bothered to obtain or build a separate one, so the old receiver is a very capable phono pre-amp now.)

Summary:

51" TV used as an HD monitor.

Yamaha receiver used for source switching.

PS2 connected by component video and optical audio.

PS3 connected by HDMI.

Cable box connected by HDMI.

VCR connected by composite vid and stereo.

Laserdisc connected to the VCR by composite vid and stereo, plus coax digital to the receiver.

Phono connected to the old receiver (for its phono preamp,) which in turn connects to the new receiver.

CD changer (JVC) still cranking out after almost 20 years!!!!

The computer-based DVR system I had built is gone, as it became useless when Comcast went all-digital.

I'd said I didn't get glasses with the TV, but found out some months later that Samsung was providing two pairs of glasses for free as a rebate to purchasers during a certain time period, which I qualified for. So i have 3D TV, as well! 3D Blu-ray is pretty cool when it's well done. Comcast also carries ESPN3D (which is great!) a 3D-only channel with miscellaneous stuff, (sometimes decent, sometimes useless,) and since I have HBO, I get HBO's 3D stuff they put on the OnDemand menus.

The Yamaha receiver is dual-zone, but I have no need for that at the moment, what with not having anyplace else but the living room that needs anything played in it. They have an app for the phone, though, so you can control the receiver on your home LAN from your phone, making Zone 2 operation a lot easier, not having to walk back and forth to do stuff on the receiver, go back and see if you got it right, etc.

A 2.1 Logitech set in the front with 2 regular stereo speakers in the back. Works nice, but I will upgrade to 5.1 when I get my new motherboard.
Just so I can have centralized hardware volume control.

So who here has an A/V system? Which do you have? How is it?

I'm getting started on mine today. Unfortunately I'm on quite a tight budget but should be able to do quite well.

I'm starting with this.

My Birthday present from my awesome Vic. :)

I have a Sony but it's rather old(Got it just a year after the PS2 was released). We managed to break the optical connection so we have to use the composite Stereo sound in but it still sounds awesome that way.Still hasn't been replaced since my brother bought it and I don't see the point in replacing it since the speaker setup is not right for surround sound(TV is in the corner when the old TV used to be centered).

Back