Which cars sound nice? (Videos please!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Know why a fluttering BOV is actually a bad thing even though people seem to actually want to achieve it?

Because it screws up the fuel mixture, (I think it's a part of the fourth dot.)

• Know what a wastegate is?

Yes, but I can't explain it in words. It's the thing in the turbo.

• Know how a BOV is plumbed up?

It's a valve slightly between the intake manifold and intercooler. Your wording's a bit awkward, I don't know what answer you're looking for.

• Know why a BOV venting to atmosphere makes an engine with an Air Flow Meter run rich for a period after getting off throttle sometimes making it blow black smoke or backfire?

...Because the fuel might still be entering the cylinders, without adequate air supply to balance it out? (I'm really not sure about this one.)

So I'm guessing that the reason you didn't just look it up online had something to do with "motivation." For future notice, it took me about a minute to NOT find anything regarding 3 catalytic converter laws in Canada.

Found one a couple hundred less in about 30 seconds.

So even after doing "quite a bit of reading" you still haven't learned for yourself what I found out after a minute of searching the internet. It's not rocket science man. You're sitting there typing up plans on your "shop" web page on how you want to make a rally car out of your wagon but you still haven't spent 100 bucks on a cheap jack and a couple jack stands to get under your car and replace your own cats? But you have 1000 to spend on other people doing it for you. Get your story straight. You sound like you're 13.

It's not legal in Canada, nor in the SCCA G-stock regulations. It won't work for my application.

• Know why a fluttering BOV is actually a bad thing even though people seem to actually want to achieve it?
    Because it screws up the fuel mixture, (I think it's a part of the fourth dot.)

• Know what a wastegate is?
    Yes, but I can't explain it in words. It's the thing in the turbo.

• Know how a BOV is plumbed up?
    It's a valve slightly between the intake manifold and intercooler. Your wording's a bit awkward, I don't know what answer you're looking for.

• Know why a BOV venting to atmosphere makes an engine with an Air Flow Meter run rich for a period after getting off throttle sometimes making it blow black smoke or backfire?
...Because the fuel might still be entering the cylinders, without adequate air supply to balance it out? (I'm really not sure about this one.)

No, no, no, and no.

It's not legal in Canada, nor in the SCCA G-stock regulations. It won't work for my application.

There is literally NO difference in construction in catalytic converters in the US and in Canada. By function they must be manufactured using specific materials to function as catalytic converters.

No, no, no, and no.

There is literally NO difference in construction in catalytic converters in th eUS and in Canada. By function they must be manufactured with specific materials to function as catalytic converters.

Okay, if you're so smart, tell me the four correct answers.

Also, if it's not legal in California, it's not OEM or equivalent. It's more pollutant, and will not meet the SCCA Solo2 G-Stock regulations. As for the Canadian regulations, I'm not sure, but, since it doesn't get into California, it doesn't get on my car. Simple as that. I don't take chances with cars. I go for what's been proven.

First answer - No. The fluttering is a result of the valve opening and shutting quickly, usually because the spring is set too hard. The problem with that is, the valve isn't expelling air efficiently and that on off effect has a detrimental effect on the compressor.

Second answer: A wastegate, either internal or external (as in not part of the turbo) is pretty much a bypass for the exhaust to flow through, as opposed to going through the turbo's turbine. It is closed normally and when boost gets to a certain pressure, it opens. This is to control boost - if you didn't have this you would have no way of controlling boost pressure. A boost controller works by going in line of the boost line running to the wastegate actuator, controlling the boost that the actuator is supplied with.

Third answer: By being plumbed up I mean how it actually works. It can go anywhere on the intake after the turbo but is best right before the throttle body. So it has a spring, and you can usually adjust the preload on it. This is pushing against a piston. On the spring side of the piston, is a vacuum line. So on boost, the vacuum line is under boost so it ensures the pressure on both sides of the piston is equal, and the piston remains shut. Off throttle, the vacuum line is under vacuum and the air on the other side is under boost pressure as the throttle is closed so the piston opens and the BOV vents. That's what I meant by how is it plumbed up.

Forth: you were actually pretty good with this one. AFM equipped cars are having the air going in measured as opposed to a vehicle fitted with a MAP sensor and the ECU makes sure the correct amount of fuel is injected for the air that has gone in. Problem is if you are venting to atmosphere the ECU thinks that air has gone in to the engine and so it injects the fuel as if it did. And the engine runs rich for a moment until the valve shuts.

I go for what's been proven.

Yet you put HID's in stock housings?

303_10151391323648092_21649711_n.jpg

Yet you put HID's in stock housings?

303_10151391323648092_21649711_n.jpg

Yes. In Canada, that's considered normal. I don't know which countries you've visited, but, it's not uncommon in any place I've been. However, notice, I've never been outside of Canada.

However, every single time I see a nice car, in Canada, it's got HIDs in their stock housings. And why not? It works fine.

Yes. In Canada, that's considered normal. I don't know which countries you've visited, but, it's not uncommon in any place I've been. However, notice, I've never been outside of Canada.

However, every single time I see a nice car, in Canada, it's got HIDs in their stock housings. And why not? It works fine.

Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Q: Are non-factory HIDs street legal?

A: Generally, no. This is the reason most automotive kits have a disclaimer stating "for off-road / show use only."

http://hidcanada.com/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=10

Last edited:

Buddy, you're kidding, right? I got German HIDs from Lumens, and Lumens offered me a warranty. And, they're not too bright, but they're millions of times better than the originals.

Don't even argue about the HIDs. They're the best money I've ever spent on my Impreza. I'd buy them again, and recommend them to all of my friends. They're incredible.

So, some guy I've never heard of, with a vested interest, has an internet article. So what?

1: The flutter is caused by a BOV spring that is too stiff. This will cause what is actually often mislabeled as compressor surge. It's a similar phenomena where the pressure bleeds out of the valve just enough to drop right under the springs preload point, making it shut back again. This in turn causes a quick surge in pressure and the process is repeated again as fast as you can hear the valve "flutter" when you're off throttle. These pressure pulses aren't very good for the turbo shaft life.

2: The wastegate is a valve on the turbine (or turbo manifold depending on whether it's internal or external) which is set to a given boost pressure via vacuum, spring, or both. this is what keeps your boost pressure from exponentially spiraling out of control (boost creep.)

3: For a recirculating BOV (used with cars that have AFMs/MAFs) the exit of the valve is returned back into the intake plumbing after the AFM/MAF so that all the air is accounted for which goes into number 4. Cars that use MAP sensor and IAT sensor to calculate required fuel no longer need an AFM/MAF so it is ok for them to use BOVs that are open to atmosphere.

4: This happens because the AFM/MAF is telling the ECU there is more air entering the engine than there really is so the mixture goes rich.

I don't take chances with cars. I go for what's been proven.

You don't say.

EDIT:
They're the best money I've ever spent on my stock Impreza.
Fixed 👍
So, some guy I've never heard of, with a vested interest, has an internet article. So what?
Right, some guy that clearly knows ALLOT more than you do on the subject and thus is a solid candidate to take advice from.

Last edited:
Buddy, you're kidding, right? I got German HIDs from Lumens, and Lumens offered me a warranty. And, they're not too bright, but they're millions of times better than the originals.

You got warranty on the bulbs? Congrats! That obviously is relevant to the housing they're in.

Don't even argue about the HIDs. They're the best money I've ever spent on my Impreza. I'd buy them again, and recommend them to all of my friends. They're incredible.

Where did I say HIDs are bad? You have them in an improper housing that scatters light everywhere and bilds everyone else on the road.

Lets see, who's right? Legitimate research-base information from a company that produces/sells car bulbs or some wannabe ricer on GTPlanet?

I like HID's and are fine if they're housed properly.

Oh, yeah, why can't the other drivers keep their eyes on their own lanes? Thing is, it's not a problem, to me, being blinded by oncoming traffic. Look at your own lane, and everything's fine.

Thing is, it's not a problem, to me, being blinded by oncoming traffic. Look at your own lane, and everything's fine.

When I'm passing oncoming traffic, I pay particularly close attention to what they're doing in their lane. You should do the same, it could save your life or someone else's someday. Your attitude is and the things you say are astonishing...

When I'm passing oncoming traffic, I pay particularly close attention to what they're doing in their lane. You should do the same, it could save your life or someone else's someday. Your attitude is and the things you say are astonishing...

Yeah, I'm not about to swerve into their lane, though, am I? Do they really need to see me? Their lane's still open.

Thing is, though, the original bulbs were rubbish. I couldn't see 20 feet in front of my car, with perfectly clear headlight casings. Then, when one of those bulbs burned out, I had to resort to using my high-beams, just to get home! It was terrible.

I'm not going through another second of "I can't see, am I in my lane?" again. I'd rather take my chances at blinding the oncoming motorists that won't see my headlights because of the center medians in Canada. 💡

If you can't figure out why you should be paying attention to other cars on the road, particularly those that are in an oncoming lane, then you shouldn't be on the road. Same goes for if you don't care if you purposefully blind other people with your lights. Do these center medians exist on every single two-way road in Canada?

HIDs, in a stock reflector-type housing, are illegal in many countries and states. And for good reason. Reflector housings do not properly focus the HID beam and have too much light scatter.

To say it's the problem of other drivers is incredibly, utterly irresponsible. HIDs in reflector housings are dangerous because they obscure everything, whether you're looking at them or not.

And a quick search of the internet reveals that HID conversion kits are illegal in Ontario. Some cops can't tell the difference between a factory system and a conversion kit, but yours will be obvious from miles away.

I'd rather take my chances at blinding the oncoming motorists that won't see my headlights because of the center medians in Canada. 💡

Blinding oncoming motorists who then can't see where they're going as they plough head-on into you?

Nice job. :dopey:

Not only that, but he's not paying any attention to them so he can't make evasive maneuvers if they do come in his lane.

*grabs popcorn, waits for Melancholy to loose it again*

Just to say, HID kits from Germany are illegal in Germany too.
There is a reason a bulb kit cost 1/3 of a HID kit... :S
Recommend that to your future customers, and they will sue you. Garage closed in 2 months...

Come on you guys aren't seriously taking this guy seriously? A dude that has a website stating that his 'company' can build you a proper race car, yet he was asking us how mufflers work? Come on! He's playing the ultimate game of trolling right now

EDIT:

I just read up on the thread, didn't notice it was the "500ps Skyline with stock exaust thread, which turned out to be an exemple with a aftermarket exaust and nothing to do which was actually asked...".

Seriously this thread is fighting with the Afro in hat thread right now for the thread of the year.

Why do these threads always come up in the last weeks of the year?

Now I have headaches from facepalming too hard :lol:

I just leave this to think about:

Thing is, I can likely still afford all of the things I want to do to my car, and the stuff I need to cover
I can't get underneath my car, yet. The budget for jacks/stands is only now coming to fruition. Also, I've not had time or motivation to actually buy some.

???????????What?????????

Last edited:
This will all be over when his Ps3 dies or he sells his copy of GT5.

Also, this is now somewhat a duplicate thread of this.

I'd take much of what Daniel Sterns says with a gain of salt. There's good information on his site but in the end he is trying to sell products.

They are more than likely made in China like a vast majority of HID's.

HIDs, in a stock reflector-type housing, are illegal in many countries and states. And for good reason. Reflector housings do not properly focus the HID beam and have too much light scatter.

To say it's the problem of other drivers is incredibly, utterly irresponsible. HIDs in reflector housings are dangerous because they obscure everything, whether you're looking at them or not.

It really depends on the housing the light is in. I have HID's on my Focus and they don't scatter the light poorly at all and many of the guys on Focus Fanatics have done comparisons between retrofitted projectors and stock lenses to see the difference. While there is a difference it's not to the point of being dangerous. The bulbs in the Focus are capped too which changed how the light is reflected and makes a huge difference in the amount of glare. Trust me, if Ford didn't want an obscene $4,000 for a pair of projector housings I'd be all over it though since it would make the lights even better.

But color temperature has more to do with blinding other drivers than the light itself. Really anything over 5000k-6000k is going to cause a huge problem for other motorist because the eye doesn't like blue light at night. I have 6000k bulbs, but in reality they are closed to 5000k in temperature because they aren't the least bit blue. Trucks with halogen lights probably cause more issues than a car with HID's just because the lights sit up so much higher and make the cut off right about where your line of sight is.

I'd take much of what Daniel Sterns says with a gain of salt. There's good information on his site but in the end he is trying to sell products.

They are more than likely made in China like a vast majority of HID's.

It really depends on the housing the light is in. I have HID's on my Focus and they don't scatter the light poorly at all and many of the guys on Focus Fanatics have done comparisons between retrofitted projectors and stock lenses to see the difference. While there is a difference it's not to the point of being dangerous. The bulbs in the Focus are capped too which changed how the light is reflected and makes a huge difference in the amount of glare. Trust me, if Ford didn't want an obscene $4,000 for a pair of projector housings I'd be all over it though since it would make the lights even better.

But color temperature has more to do with blinding other drivers than the light itself. Really anything over 5000k-6000k is going to cause a huge problem for other motorist because the eye doesn't like blue light at night. I have 6000k bulbs, but in reality they are closed to 5000k in temperature because they aren't the least bit blue. Trucks with halogen lights probably cause more issues than a car with HID's just because the lights sit up so much higher and make the cut off right about where your line of sight is.

The laws, you'll find, also make it illegal to legally sell illegal parts. I've got 4000K bulbs, and they too weren't clear bulbs. They had a big coloured tip. Again, I know what I'm doing. So far, after 500 km with my new HIDs, one single person has flashed their highbeams, to warn me that I seemed to have my own high beams on = someone who just complains a lot.

I've seen non-HIDs, with yellow headlights, who actually blind. It's called forgetting and leaving your high-beams on. But, since I barely even need my high-beams, I reckon it's better. Anyways, good-bye. I've been biting my tongue long enough.

The laws, you'll find, also make it illegal to legally sell illegal parts. I've got 4000K bulbs, and they too weren't clear bulbs. They had a big coloured tip. Again, I know what I'm doing. So far, after 500 km with my new HIDs, one single person has flashed their highbeams, to warn me that I seemed to have my own high beams on = someone who just complains a lot.

I've seen non-HIDs, with yellow headlights, who actually blind. It's called forgetting and leaving your high-beams on. But, since I barely even need my high-beams, I reckon it's better. Anyways, good-bye. I've been biting my tongue long enough.

:lol: You know quite a bit of stuff they sell for cars is considered illegal right? Of course you do, you're a mechanic right? All a company has to do is put "for off-road use only" on their product and they are covered.

And I'm not sure what sort of HID's you got if they are coloured. Mine are clear and by capped I mean that my housing have metal caps in them that deflect the light so that it is reflected differently.

"make it illegal to legally sell, illegal parts":ouch:

Wholly mother of it makes no sense, well ya duh you think? 1000% proof he is 10 years old, does not drive, and has no idea what a car looks like.:sly:

Hey, I have some new muffler bearings to sell you. :) You'll need 3 sets.:lol:

No. This seems to be another one of those threads where you talk out of that brown hole down south.

We do? Well, then, let this thread die. I don't know. I don't care, really. My questions are answered. Removing the cats and resonators is a no-no for street cars that must be driven at 2 A.M. Seems simple.

My truck runs true dual exhaust, no cats, and just one muffler per pipe for tone. I idle at 82 dB, 3dB louder than a Camry/etc at full throttle. When it's quiet out, you can hear my truck from over half a mile away. I normally come home between 2 and 3 am as well.

My motorcycle is even louder. By a good margin.

My neighbors are old people. I've had this truck the same way for 3 years, and it's a DD. Never even a hint of complaint. As long as you leave your neighborhood like a sane human being as opposed to 14 year old that stole moms car, you won't be bothered. Loud doesn't mean you'll be hassled

Also, if it's not legal in California, it's not OEM or equivalent. It's more pollutant, and will not meet the SCCA Solo2 G-Stock regulations. As for the Canadian regulations, I'm not sure, but, since it doesn't get into California, it doesn't get on my car. Simple as that. I don't take chances with cars. I go for what's been proven.
You're killing yourself using only Cali legal parts. Most parts made are 49 state approved. You're paying more to get less power from a comparable part.

It's illegal. 100%. If a vehicle did not come from the factory with HIDs, they are illegal to put in your car. Even the projector retro fits are illegal for the same reason.

HIDs are great. They're bright too. I run them in my truck and don't get flashed very often either. But for the love of god don't think for even half a second they are legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back