Why is everybody using racing tires?

• Thread starter jibber
  • 181 comments
I recently switched my nightly room to sport soft. I was running racing soft but with 450pp it took away some of the edge that tuning a car can give you. I realized the LSD was pointless when you have less than 300hp on racing tires. There has been some turn-over in the regulars that show up. More wheel-racers and less ds3-racers. I have longer battles with drivers and the draft makes you work hard to pull away from someone. Now my room is usually full each night because I rotate the theme but keep the restrictions the same.

If you want to find other drivers that race on sports tires, I suggest starting a thread in the online section of this forum. Put the times the room will be open in the title so others that play at the same time can easily recognize it.

i only run racing tires if i need them for a really fast or highly tuned car, other wise i use sports tires depending on how much i want to go sideways :D

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I suck. I'm no GT master.

I like racing tires for the simple fact that gives maximum grip, better control, faster speed through corners, less fishtailing/oversteer. Being a DS3 user (read: no wheel), and with a controller with a slightly jammed right R trigger, it's a pain to even brake without the trigger getting stuck at certain points.

And like what other people have mentioned, find people who don't like using racing tires like you do.

Rod_Sauzer
Look for Shuffle Mode races... I think they are set to comfort tires. I've only done these twice online, but both times they were a lot of fun!

This is certainly the way forward. I've done this with several friends started in private lounges and the additional fun level was a joy to behold. Set the shuffle degree to 0 to keep everyone in similar cars or max it at 10 to really spread out the field in that if you win the next car you get will be in a lower class and visa versa. Had some epic NSX v copens v audi quattro's by doing this.
Did some online tonight and set 3 lap races, 0 degrees of shuffle, no aids save for TC and ABS (not that you need it) with a track vote and had at least two hours of GT5 joy! I think labelling the room as 'Shuffle' tends to act as a good filter too. The track was also randomly generated to a degree by everyone voting for different tracks.

I use racing-hard tires online to offset the grip change from offline to online. Usually use sport-soft but they are just horrid online.

Another reason I can see people use racing tires is because they are racing...what a concept.

I never use anything but racing tires, unless I'm off-road.

Boring and completely unrealistic. How is online racing fun when everything is on rails? If there's no danger when you take a banked corner in a FR or MR car, what is the point?

When i make rooms i set the tires based on the PP of the room.

0-330 is comfort medium
330-430 is comfort soft
430-500 is sport hard
500-575 is sport soft

Above 575 really calls for a little more grip, but rarely do i run a PP level of street cars that high.

When I do races with actual race cars, its all race hards (because that's what the cars come with).

Maybe once in a blue moon i'd do a racing soft race with high powered cars, but it's pretty rare.

I agree that it's so hard to find a good online room these days. Normally have to make my own (or join my friends) as nobody bothers to limit the tires.

Turn off skid recovery & you have a realistic game, even with racing soft tires.

To be honest, comfort tires are the biggest crap i've ever saw. Completely off realistic. It's like driving on ice. :drool:

My guess is that everyone who is against racing tires should start a racing league that limits tires to sports soft or less. That way people can race however they like. I myself like using Racing Soft Tires if I'm looking to set some good lap times, and comfort soft for drifting and burnout montages. I don't mind at all using Racing Soft tires, but I feel the pain of the people who want a challenge with the worse tires.

One thing I find is there is too much of a dramatic difference between the grip levels and it spoils the feel of the car. I use slick tyres , but because I am lucky enough to be part of a group of people that do longer races , which allows tactics with tyre compounds and this makes the time fly.

It seems that many people claim they are racing with no aids and the lower grade tyres. Personally I think a big number of people say it to look good. If the filter option and the browsing engine was better designed it would really improve everyone's online experience. I have noticed a lot of Japanese run room will have the comfort tyres as the tyre option, so it might be worth just skimming them first.

wmwolverines
I create rooms with sports softs (550 - 600pp) or sports mediums (sub 525 pp) and its hard to get more than 3 others in a room with me.

Having the right circuit really makes or brakes a room. Also there are so many rooms with the 500-600 pp it just means you see 30 rooms with just the host in. Finally a having a good name for your room makes a great difference. Getting a good friends list made up of racers who are into the same race options as you will make finding a race with a decent number much easier.

I agree.

It's very annoying seeing everyone using racing tires. One day I played online, and everyone was using racing softs in every room I went to, so if I wanted to be competitive at all, I had to waste time buying racing softs for the cars I wanted to use and then enter the code to get back to the room again. :ouch:

This sounds a lot like the online events in Prologue. We really do need this, because online is a joke with everyone using super grip tires. The tires you use should also affect your PP, just like in Prologue.

This is a great idea, I agree 100 percent

quoted the wrong person Lol.. forget what I said

Last edited:
I am usually so annoyed by this, i just use comfort or sport tires anyway. This means i always lose and stay behind the pack, but i couldn't care less sometimes...

I also use sport tires as my "racing tires". I also downgrade a lot of cars to comfort tires. 👍

We should find a few more people and make a little racing club or something! :)

Most (read 99%) people running racing tires is one of the reasons I don't race online anymore unless it is with a league I'm part of. When I did partake in random online racing I always hosted my own room and restricted everything, tires included (sport hard usually for production cars - keeping in mind that sport hard tires online have less grip than offline). Some nights I'd get up to 8 other racers, but that was rare. Normally only a handful of people would join.

The fact is, most players are gamers - not racers. They don't care about learning racing techniques. All they care about is going faster.

If you want competitive racing with reasonable tire restrictions check the GT5 Online Racing board and join a league.

Last edited:
I tried to make a lobby with the banner "sports soft, no SRF, no TC" on Nurburgring Nordschliefe for 2 days and guess what, even after half an hour, no one wants to come in....I do admit, it's quite expensive to buy Racing soft

Last edited:
I make servers that say usually "Street Cars Only." I set it to Race For Real and PP, but I usually do HP. I go to Daytona or something, set the HP high. Once people join in we race (Using Racing Tires) and vote on tracks for maybe 2 or 3 times. Then I change the restrictions do what I would like it to be. 500 HP, Sports Soft, blah blah... and then people who just can't drive without their precious racing tires eiher complain or leave. They usually complain.

Back when the glitches weren't to popular or weren't around I had extremely active servers. But I always started out by how I want my restrictions to be. Then someone jons and starts a riot on how we should have Racing Softs and how it's better to drive on them, I say "Different cars have different outputs on racing tires thus creating an unfair grid." Then they'll grow in anger, that's when I say if you don't like it, go somewhere else or your about to see a pop-up and the GT Life Main Menu. That's how you roll a server.

They really complained about Sports Soft becuase I drive a 4WD. :grumpy:
These complaints who usually lose to me and can't keep up. (Theyre also usually pretty bad drivers)

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there are people who like to run other tires than racing tires?

This is seriously ruining online for me. I'm always trying to find a lobby where people would run production cars on comfort or sport tires... but it's hopeless. Even if there are car restrictions, people running low hp cars, etc... every lobby i enter, everybody is running on racing tires.

Maybe you've noticed by now... i'm not a big fan of racing tires. :)

IMO, sport and especially comfort tires are a lot more fun. It actually involves some concentration and "driving work". I much prefer this over driving on rails and never have to worry about making mistakes.

There's a lot of people here who like running with no assists, cool... but you hardly ever need any assists with racing tires do you (unless you drive high hp cars)?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not talking down on people using racing tires. I'm just trying to find some people who'd like to have a little more exciting races with production cars on "road" tires. 👍

Anybody?

Racing tyres improve the cars handling and acceleration dramatically. They help (along with a custom tuned racing suspension kit) reduce understeer and this is especially important in high powered 4wd and AWD cars such as the Lamborghini LP670. My LP670 had annoying understeer in stock form on Sports tyres, but now that I'm using soft racing tyres along with a custom tuned racing suspension it not only goes quicker in a straight line but its an utter joy to go around corners. All of that and not one weight reducing or power increasing modification.

So perhaps Sports and Comforts are good on some cars or cars with less than say 400 or 500hp or so, but they're a bitch on others.

Just my opinion on it anyway.

My guess is that everyone who is against racing tires should start a racing league that limits tires to sports soft or less. That way people can race however they like. I myself like using Racing Soft Tires if I'm looking to set some good lap times, and comfort soft for drifting and burnout montages. I don't mind at all using Racing Soft tires, but I feel the pain of the people who want a challenge with the worse tires.

Don't misinterpret what some people are looking for. It's not that anyone is strictly against racing soft tires, it's that they want a realistic level of grip for the level of car they're driving. I wonder if people on here even drive cars with less than 400pp. They are on par with your average car on the road, and they handle just fine on comfort soft tires because the cars themselves are not blazingly fast.

I just wish more people would balance out car performance with tire performance. 500hp cars should not be on comfort tires, and 100hp cars should not be on racing tires.

Racing Hard user here. Even in real life when I took my real cars out for track days or SCCA events, I used slicks. I had drag radials for my car when I dragged raced. I play GT5 just to beat my own times. I guess that's why I don't play online.

I never use racing tyres, though I never really use racing cars. I always drive the high powered sports/supercars with either sports hards or sports softs. I like my racing experience to be challenging and somewhat realistic.

Using racing tyres on road cars is overkill.

I like racing soft because its fun! I don't do that much online, but I do enjoy sport soft on quite a few cars. Hate comforts! Comfort for what?????

This is a rhetorical question. People use it because they can. It is an option in the game, not a mod. Why not use them if its available. Not every wants what you want. If you need a challenge, good luck finding in this game. Limiting your car to compensate for the lack of competition isn't racing. You will never see a GT1 car trying to running on comfort or street tires.

Because everyone is using them. Only way to be competitive. I'd like to run races online on dirt; or just run rally cars on tarmac, but there'd be no takers.

Don't misinterpret what some people are looking for. It's not that anyone is strictly against racing soft tires, it's that they want a realistic level of grip for the level of car they're driving. I wonder if people on here even drive cars with less than 400pp. They are on par with your average car on the road, and they handle just fine on comfort soft tires because the cars themselves are not blazingly fast.

I just wish more people would balance out car performance with tire performance. 500hp cars should not be on comfort tires, and 100hp cars should not be on racing tires.

This is exactly what I'm trying to say. It's just annoying seeing racing softs used on road cars and other non-racing cars because it makes GT5 almost feel like an arcade game.

If people want racing softs, fine, but as I said before, we need online matchmaking and events with tire restrictions. Doing online racing leagues does solve the problem to a degree, but if you just feel like doing a few quick races one evening, it doesn't help.

In a fast (700bhp+) car, sports tires are not that grippy in the corners. Even with the best driving you are going to skid.

I fully support rooms that define that (Ideally it should increase PP, and you could limit by that) but if you want to race online, an extra 30k shouldn't kill you. That's less than one race worth of winnings.

Don't fret. Yes, most players simply aren't good enough to drive on sports tyres, even in prod cars. But there are plenty of people who prefer sports, we're all out here. Finnd us and add us! :) And actually, on Saturdays in particular, I've had jam-packed lobbies with regs set to sports softs.

I think racing softs are for kiddies really. They're too fast, and too easy. For realism's sake, when i set my own racing rooms, I have hards maximum.

I'll run any tire as long as it's fair and even between everyone, but overall I do find racing tires to be closer to real life driving than comfort soft or sport hard tires. I actually find those to be nothing like driving a real car.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I'm sure those running racing softs and finishing in the top 3 consistently would be the same people finishing in the top 3 regardless of what tires they ran.

I'm tired of racing tires too, especially online and especially on normal road cars. Add me on PSN if you are looking for someone willing to use more realistic tires and downgrade to sports soft max online or *gasp* comfort soft even! I'll probably be looking for races tomorrow during the day also (saturday 9th... GMT +1:00) ADD ME!

Latest Posts

Back