Why is everybody using racing tires?

• Thread starter jibber
  • 181 comments
I don't use comfort tires because they are commuting tires, not racing tires. Anybody who takes ANY car to a track will at least put sport tires on it.

In real-life, true. In a videogame it can be so much fun & challenging to use lesser tires. Not that I'm trying to convince you or anything.

I will never understand why people put racing soft tires on production or even race cars. Putting racing softs on a car essentially takes away that car's characteristics. They make cars boring to drive. If I put racing softs on a car like the RUF or F40 those cars will no longer be unique. What makes those cars special is the fact that they are a handful to drive, and require a high amount of precision and concentration to drive fast around a track. But I've ran into many players who say those cars "suck", and that's their reasoning for putting racing softs on them. Oh, the irony...

But, people can use whatever tire they please. I just wish more players ran rooms with tire restrictions. That's the reason I spend most of my time online in freerun rooms.

I use Race Soft tires because, well, that's what all the rooms require and there's no PP effect to even it out. I'd often rather use Sports, and never more than Racing Hards, but there's just not many rooms, and usually if there is it requires a car I don't have/restrictions don't have a good fit for.

I don't see what the big deal is about putting slicks on production cars though, at least if they are tuned to get lots of power. If cars like that were raced IRL they'd surely use slicks as most series do. True street-stock cars it's not neccessary, but even the Continental Tire series runs on slicks.

It does feel a bit silly using low powered street cars on RS's but that's the way it is online unfortunately. Even slow racing cars come with slicks so I don't see anything wrong with those.

So I guess I wish there was more variety, but I'm not as horribly offended by it as a lot of people seem to be. I would LOVE being able to sort by tires though, might even encourage more people to make such rooms too.

I will never understand why people put racing soft tires on production or even race cars. Putting racing softs on a car essentially takes away that car's characteristics. They make cars boring to drive. If I put racing softs on a car like the RUF or F40 those cars will no longer be unique. What makes those cars special is the fact that they are a handful to drive, and require a high amount of precision and concentration to drive fast around a track. But I've ran into many players who say those cars "suck", and that's their reasoning for putting racing softs on them. Oh, the irony...

A car like a RUF does require high amount of precision and concentration and to have that ability requires senses that cannot or are not reproduced in the game. If I can't feel what the car is doing through weight transfer, through the seat of my pants, what the road is doing through the heels of my feet, etc. and you drive the car as the game provides than you are handicapping yourself by at least 50%. I contend that racing tires make up for some of that lose in feel.

A car like a RUF does require high amount of precision and concentration and to have that ability requires senses that cannot or are not reproduced in the game. If I can't feel what the car is doing through weight transfer, through the seat of my pants, what the road is doing through the heels of my feet, etc. and you drive the car as the game provides than you are handicapping yourself by at least 50%. I contend that racing tires make up for some of that lose in feel.

I think it's just a case of adjusting your expectations. There is no extra feel from tyres that grip more than those that do not, how could there be.

If you drive on Comfort Soft tyres for long enough, they "feel" very grippy indeed.

I don't knock people for using RSofts, but in my opinion there is no point in doing so. Seems to me like people use them simply because there is no grippier tyre, rather than it being a considered choice. Where does it end, if there were a RacingSuperSoft everyone would be using that with their 250bhp Civics. If there were a RacingQualifier, everyone would be using that. If there were HyperSoft which gave 3g cornering for Subaru Imprezas, would everyone be using that?

Racing Soft are just incredibly grippy, even for super-high-powered cars. There surely comes a point where the amount of grip detracts from the fun/realism (take your pick, they're basically the same to me), even for the casual Racing Soft racer.

Let's pretend that the tyre selection DID extend beyond Racing Soft into ever sillier levels of grip - to the point where every car drives like the X2010. People would choose a lesser tyre then, right? And the things to consider would be - realistic g-forces, cornering speeds, road car/track car/tuned car/race car, the era of manufacture etc, and the tyre choice would be made.

Imo we should use those criteria anyway.

Exactly. Yes, a real car might not use racing slicks. But, a real car is also a far cry from my (although excellent) DFGT and wooden table combo.

Foglight
I contend that racing tires make up for some of that lose in feel.

If by make up for you mean you need less skill then I agree. The RUFs do take more concentration but that's the joy. Instead of adjusting the car for now you need to adjust it for a second from now. I totally agree that the game lacks the "seat of your pants" feel but that loss is in every vehicle in the game. Once your "Driver Toolbox" is equiped with the skills needed for a RR vehicle then driving a Yellowbird shouldn't be any different than driving an American muscle car, in real life or sim.

I would agree with you totally but because of the way PD sets up their models on the cars they lose alot of their uniqueness anyway. It's like we're driving with mittens.

I'm a big fan of the GT series but till we get the complete rig with simulated Gs then there's nothing PD can do about it.

Anyone using slick tyres on roads cars is lame... sorry, but if you need slicks on a road car to keep it on the track you need to practice your driving skills more.

sinbad
There surely comes a point where the amount of grip detracts from the fun/realism (take your pick, they're basically the same to me), even for the casual Racing Soft racer.

Concise, perfect.

If you like your cars to drive on rails... More power to you.

Anyone using slick tyres on roads cars is lame... sorry, but if you need slicks on a road car to keep it on the track you need to practice your driving skills more.

👍

There´s some people they can´t keep the car on the track even with Racing Softs.

raVer

Heaven forbid we use racing tires on a race track. :rolleyes: Have any of you been to a track day or autocross? Most every car there (street cars included) are using racing tires. Why is that? Maybe because they are racing on a race track. In GT you are racing on a race track. You shouldn't be looked down upon for using them on a street car. More power to you if want to use street tires on the track. Just don't try to impose that ideal on the rest of us. Race how ever you want.

Heaven forbid we use racing tires on a race track. :rolleyes: Have any of you been to a track day or autocross? Most every car there (street cars included) are using racing tires.

That's rubbish I'm afraid.

If you go to a track day, the vast majority of cars will be on regular street tyres. A few will be on MPS Cups or R888's, but even these are in the minority. Almost none will be on slicks... in fact most track days don't allow slick tyres full stop, at least in the UK.

And even if you have to use slicks to cover up for your lack or driving ability and keep your overtuned road car on the track, there's no need to use softs.

All depends on what you're doing. Most road cars would need sports hard or comfort soft.
Track day style cars. Would use the other sports tires and full racing cars would use racing tires. Anyone using racing tires on a car that isn't a racing car is either making the car replicate a race car OR should play NFS instead.

For those who hate comfort or sports tyres, please see it from our point of view... its a nightmare trying to find an online race with these tyres! There are a good group of guys on the nurb who always use road cars on sports hards, but its so difficult to find the same settings for say Trial Mountain, or any other track for that matter :-(

See below for said room 👍

Hello everyone,

if you're a clean racer and dislike GT5's racing tires, you're welcome to join one of our rooms. We're hosting nordschleife-lobbies with different themes on sports hard or comfort soft every day. There's always at least 5 to 10 regulars around, we're racing fair and don't even superdraft each other on the last straight, but since the lobbies are open clean racing is not guaranteed.

Start is at 20:30 CEST, usually the host is hei73, sometimes it's BFMV_Burnsy or me. Theme for tonight is BMW vs Audi roadcars at 520PP, tomorrow only wagons (kombis) allowed, limit is 480PP.

Feel free to join, see you on track...

If you like the Nürburgring, this room should satisfy your sport tire craving ;)
It's a great group of clean fast racers, usually on sport hards, but I have seen comfort softs if the PP is low enough.

cry about everyone using tires available in game > start your own room with rules you want

This. Honestly, I never have a problem making my own room and having it fill up with people who are willing to use Sports or Comfort tires. Sometimes there's too many and I have to kick some out so my friends can join.

You guys know that racing tires are not bulletproof. They are just as cumbersome when track settings are set to real opposed to low grip.

Just a thought but does anyone that uses comfort ever adjust traction control or abs or use skid recovery? To compensate for the lack of response?

Everyone is blasting racing soft ( title opens the door for it) without chiming in on the other adjustments. I even read someone say " racing soft are for peeps that don't know how to tune. " which is a really ignorant perspective. Meaning that all those tuning guide sites/garages don't know anything about suspension and yet they recommend racing tires. Or the prior knowledge of how a car works in terms of tuning for real.

There are many different tires to choose from and are avail for ALL of us to choose from.

A persons preference is never wrong.

Just like driving aids. If you want them open a room and have them rather then whine about who uses or doesn't use.

In short it's really a dumb argument on both sides. As the title asked,

"why is everyone using racing tires?"

I will answer, because EVERYONE (more so than not) likes them more than the other choices.

Didn't even need a degree to figure that one out.

But I got one anyway.

Last edited:
All depends on what you're doing. Most road cars would need sports hard or comfort soft.
Track day style cars. Would use the other sports tires and full racing cars would use racing tires. Anyone using racing tires on a car that isn't a racing car is either making the car replicate a race car OR should play NFS instead.

Just to let you know, you can put racing tires on normal cars IRL.
Putting slicks on a road car is nothing new, in games or real life. Putting race tires on a non race car won't just make it stop working or something. I know people who have a set of slicks that they only throw on when they get to the track.

I can race with pretty much any tire compound, the only difference is that I can go faster with race tires, and hey, guess what, this is a racing game, so if you don't like trying to go as fast as possible, or seeing other people who do, you should probably find another game to play.

Okay. All you "racing softies" - don't have a panic attack. There aren't any tyre-fascists out to get you. Nobody's actually interested in banning your sticky slicks from the whole game.

To each their own. CHIIIIILL.

:)

I got a nurb 24h/change weather/change time room open right now with sports hard tires only if anybody is interested. If we get a group maybe we can change track or do some races or whatever.
1472 4711 0467 9860 5681
Hopefully somebody joins it's kinda boring being the only one on the track :grumpy:

Last edited:
My answer to the OP is that it's a racing game. Last time i checked, no matter what the power of the car the idea of racing is to go as fast as possible. That's why i will always use racing tyres.

XPOWER180
My answer to the OP is that it's a racing game. Last time i checked, no matter what the power of the car the idea of racing is to go as fast as possible. That's why i will always use racing tyres.

I guess you only drive a FGT or Ferrari F1 then?

Krizzay
Precisely. If you ever drive anything slow it's for a reason. People are quite open to the idea of lower pp racing, surely that is against the ' go fast as possible' principle.

Slower cars can be fun.

Slower tyres can be a lot of fun.

I like Sports Soft tires.
When I open a room I always choose Sports Soft tires but I don't open rooms very often 'cause I keep getting kicked by the server IDK why

I would love if the game allowed us to buy or at least install previously purchased tires online.

As you will see from my post that you quoted, it says "no matter what the power". BTCC cars for example run less than 300bhp yet they have slick racing tyres. Now do you get what i mean?

It's not about ultimate power, it's about using that power to it's greatest advantage. You'd be useless as a race team manager. "ooh, lets use some comfy road tyres 'cos it looks like fun, fun, fun for me, never mind that the other teams are using race tyres to achieve the object of the race - winning!"

it makes racing easier/less frustrating for novice drivers. I use a wide variety of tyres online and offline I like to see the cars purity sometimes but i mainly use the grippiest tyres. I have found that RS tyres make some cars too snappy when they oversteer (mainly MR cars for me with DS3) and SS tyres are more progressive although lacking total grip seem to be the "realest" (is that even a word?) :P

"ooh, lets use some comfy road tyres 'cos it looks like fun, fun, fun for me, never mind that the other teams are using race tyres to achieve the object of the race - winning!"

Of course no one would do that. I doubt anyone in this thread suggested anything remotely close to doing that.

The point is this, racing with absolute certainty not about going as fast as possible. It's about going as fast as possible within a certain set of rules. Tires are a part of those rules. F1 for a while effectively banned Racing Soft tires (ie, no full slicks). Racing is racing whether you can pull 20g in a turn, or if you're driving on your rims and have a 500 mile turning radius.

Though I'm tolerent of people using RS online, they are way too common and pretty boring compared to RH, sports, and comfort. It's still racing no matter the tire, but it's more fun racing without the Softs in my opinion. Another thing I have against the Racing tires in GT is that the grip level mechanics are painfully simple. They're actually as simple as you can get, totally constant. If GT were like real life, throwing racing soft on a road car wouldn't suddenly halve your track times. You'd need to adjust the suspension to get the most grip (no, I didn't say RS negates tuning, it just uses magic to make full grip despite the car's suspension). This is why I pretty much never use Racing tires on road cars. Putting slicks on a road car would probably give you sports soft grip at best.

Most people use R/S because it makes everything easier and the car much faster.

PD failed (again) with their tyre physics, even on heavy rain, racing softs deliver MUCH more performance then rain/intermediate tyres.

Thats the reason why I always restrict the tyres to racing/hard. They just deliver a little bit more grip then sport/softs and also, are alot worse in the rain then rain tyres.

But most people are just to bad to use other tyres then racing softs, they are always asking me to allow racing softs when entering my room... Eventhough every race car in this game has atleast a racing hard compound.

I love using racing soft tires on certain cars. Cars like the mclaren. Which when fully upgraded has to much power for its own good. But other than that I use racing hard on my cars. They deliver good traction while still making racing a sport instead of just some idiots driving around. Racing is racing because of the limited grip and know how to Do what it is your doing.

Wow, people have discrimination down to a science don't they?
(And before anyone trys to bash, I only use RS's on RC's... and the occasional track day car.)

Back