Why is everybody using racing tires?

• Thread starter jibber
  • 181 comments
i use sport tyres due to the championship i run. If you are in the top 3 you change down a grade of tyre (start on racing hard) if you come bottom 3 you upgrade a tyre. (13 cars in a race)

This is to keep the racing as close as possible as everyone has different driving skills

I much prefer sports tires (not a big fan of comfort usually) for sports cars and if I am hosting a room will occasionally force a race with sports tires.

I think most people run racing because if they don't they run the risk of others having a huge advantage and hosts usually won't force sports becuase it limits who will join their room and many people only ever buy racing tires for their cars thus limiting their options.

I'll run any tire as long as it's fair and even between everyone, but overall I do find racing tires to be closer to real life driving than comfort soft or sport hard tires. I actually find those to be nothing like driving a real car.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I'm sure those running racing softs and finishing in the top 3 consistently would be the same people finishing in the top 3 regardless of what tires they ran.

If you put racing tires on any road car with less than 300hp it's nearly impossible to lose grip. It's not even close to driving a real car.

If you put racing tires on any road car with less than 300hp it's nearly impossible to lose grip. It's not even close to driving a real car.

I should have actually added a caveat to my original post. I mostly play shuffle now which is on comfort softs and find that realistic. It's certain cars like the RUF BTR, with mods, that I find racing tires to be more realistic.

I don't really care if the majority of people want to use race tires, I don't want to race with those people. What I do want is a way to filter the open lobby rooms by tire restrictions just like you can filter out rooms with SRF on.

If you just want to jump into a room for a few quick online races, it's a real pain to have to stop on each one to see what restrictions are currently active.

I definitely subscribe to the sports car = sport tires, race car = race tires school of thought. I don't even waste my money buying race tires anymore; if the car doesn't come with race tires then it doesn't need them 👍

Until we get that filtering ability, my suggestion is when you do find those good sport tires rooms, send out some friend requests to the other racers. Then next time you're online, check to see where your friends are at first; maybe they've already found the type of room you're looking for and you can just join them.

I agree with the OP... racing softs are single handedly ruining the online experience for me. For a start nearly all normal road cars simply do not need, or are not set up for, racing tyres? Similarly, if you are in a race car, you wouldnt use comfort tyres.

I find sports soft even a little extreme on the grip for road cars. Sports hard is the way to go. Its the only way you can feel the true handling of the car.

There should be additional filters for online racing, to include tyres, boost (god I hate boost), and damage.

For those who hate comfort or sports tyres, please see it from our point of view... its a nightmare trying to find an online race with these tyres! There are a good group of guys on the nurb who always use road cars on sports hards, but its so difficult to find the same settings for say Trial Mountain, or any other track for that matter :-(

We use sports tires and stock cars generally and we have a REALLY good core membership of fair, friendly, mature and competitive racers. If you are 30+ and have kids you are elligable to join us. That may sound like a silly rule but its working for us, we all have lots in common, someone may have to ditch a race due to little ones waking up or whatever and none of us mind.

MWCRC

You may also want to check out WorldLeagueRacing, they run a some really good championship races there.

Why use ****** tires when you can use good ones? And, cars that are hard to steer will most likely be still hard to steer even though they have racing tires.

I don't get why most people online use ****** tires.

EDIT: It matters too if you drive with or without aids.

If your RUF doesn't drive like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqZO-xURLqc, it's not realistic.

I actually find that when I drive the RUF with the standard tires I have zero feel when the car is going to get away from me. If I drive that car with racing soft and SRF on I find that the car drives more what I think it would drive like in real life.

To me a car like this is about feeling what the car is doing and in a game you can't get that feel that is needed. If I can find a way to make the drive more realistic to what I think the car drives like, well I use them. :sly:

I believe there is a general consensus:

Some people like racing softs, since it brings the best out of the car.
Some people like sports or comfort tires since it seems more challenging.

Sad that with all the effort from Polyphony Digital it is still difficult to get together online.

Racing leagues are good, but too much commitment on getting on the right time, right place for me.

Friends MyLounge is a good way, also jumping to the rooms they are racing in. But sometimes activity is low (also mine).

Open lobbies remain places where someone takes a Tacoma to do the track in reverse to scare the hell out of people. There are more people, but not all are into racing.

I always search for rooms using sport or comfort tires on street cars. It can be a real pain sometimes, but I really dislike driving with racing tires. They make no sense at all on anything other than a really fast race car. I hope that in one of the following patches it will be possible to filter online rooms on tire restriction. Now I usually have to cycle the list 3 or 4 times to find a fun room.

If any fellow sports or comfort drivers want to add me, my psn is: Krizzay.

Hello everyone,

if you're a clean racer and dislike GT5's racing tires, you're welcome to join one of our rooms. We're hosting nordschleife-lobbies with different themes on sports hard or comfort soft every day. There's always at least 5 to 10 regulars around, we're racing fair and don't even superdraft each other on the last straight, but since the lobbies are open clean racing is not guaranteed.

Start is at 20:30 CEST, usually the host is hei73, sometimes it's BFMV_Burnsy or me. Theme for tonight is BMW vs Audi roadcars at 520PP, tomorrow only wagons (kombis) allowed, limit is 480PP.

Feel free to join, see you on track...

I tend to use sports hard or sports soft for powerful roadcars, and racing tires for racing cars or extremely tuned roadcars... simply because I enjoy it most that way :)

I don't race online much though, partly because most rooms are full of people on racing softs, even for reasonably powered road cars. It's not so much that I'd mind using RS aswell... but I just haven't bougth them for most cars :P

The issue is simple.

Since you cant buy tyres in an online room you are stuck with what you have 'in stock'.

I'd love to see a 'quick tune' option so you could buy the basic upgrade parts to your car while in a online 'trackday'. This would make it fair for all.

The issue is simple.

Since you cant buy tyres in an online room you are stuck with what you have 'in stock'.

I'd love to see a 'quick tune' option so you could buy the basic upgrade parts to your car while in a online 'trackday'. This would make it fair for all.

I use racing soft mostly because I don't want to be low man on the tire pole. But it would be nice if all tires were available, regardless of what the car has been fitted with, for online racing. That way no one could gripe that don't have a particular tire and must use racing soft.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there are people who like to run other tires than racing tires?

That would be me.

This is seriously ruining online for me. I'm always trying to find a lobby where people would run production cars on comfort or sport tires... but it's hopeless. Even if there are car restrictions, people running low hp cars, etc... every lobby i enter, everybody is running on racing tires.

Hmm. I was just in a room the other night. I joined specifically because the host (and everyone else) seemed respectful from the get go. And yes, they were running Comfort tires in low-powered cars. So such rooms do exist. If you can't find one, host one! :dopey:

Maybe you've noticed by now... i'm not a big fan of racing tires. :)

IMO, sport and especially comfort tires are a lot more fun. It actually involves some concentration and "driving work". I much prefer this over driving on rails and never have to worry about making mistakes.

There's a lot of people here who like running with no assists, cool... but you hardly ever need any assists with racing tires do you (unless you drive high hp cars)?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not talking down on people using racing tires. I'm just trying to find some people who'd like to have a little more exciting races with production cars on "road" tires. 👍

Anybody?

+1. Can I add you?

Yep, Sports tyres for me on production cars, and only Sports Hards at that, even Sports Soft are to grippy.

Though if using race cars I like to use Race Hards.

So true. I always have a quick view of the lobbies and if I find one that satisfies me, then I enter. This, sadly, isn't very common, so many times I end up hosting my own lobbies, which I try to thoroughly manage. In this case, I usually set the limit in sports soft o sports hard depnding on the cars I want to race. I also sometimes set the room with no limitations for tires since I also like to race Super GTs and LMPs/Group C cars once in a while :D
The problem of setting rooms for sports tires is that, if I am lucky, I reach 6 or 7 people racing at once, from which 2 or 3 are friends of mine, whereas if I set it without tire limits, it's easy to have at least 10 people at the same time. Oh well :nervous:

Me and a couple of friends frequently race online using sport tires (mostly the soft ones though). When we race with sports cars we use sport tires. We only use racing slicks on race cars.

My PSN is hoydeskrekk btw. If anyone should be interested.

"Official" lobbies with say 400PP SH tires, 450PP SS tires, 500PP RH tires (Clio Trophy anyone?), 600PP RM tires would be great imo.

I like to match my tires to my performance level. RS tires on 400PP cars is pointless. You just hold the throttle down and steer. I don't use RS tires on anything but LM and formula cars.

I don't use comfort tires because they are commuting tires, not racing tires. Anybody who takes ANY car to a track will at least put sport tires on it.

I mostly don't care and will run any tire. Usually I prefer to run under powered cars against higher performance ones. So racing soft is my solution especially for that. I like online racing so I put on whatever is needed to run the track it just so happens that racing soft is the consensus. I've raced in tire specific courses and I gotta tell you, most of the time when I do someone complains and statements like "you just not a good racer without your softs. " come out. Totally untrue. It's different strokes for different folks and people will always have big heads. Best bet is to find a group of friends that will race whatever (I.e. Pp, hp, tires, etc.). Racing is always a learning experience and people forget that and wrap themselves up in petty issues.

Latest Posts

Back