Why is everybody using racing tires?

• Thread starter jibber
  • 181 comments
The thing is that in A-spec the AI uses R.Hards at best, these are the best tires available, so using anything softer is nothing but easy mode like SRF. Nothing realistic at all with R.Softs, even the tire wear is equal or better than Hards.

Most people go with R.Softs because they're lazy to tune their suspension, to learn to drive properly or both. I really wish PD implements a search filter for tires, a room with supercars in sport hards is a room of good drivers

Regaurdless of the tire choice. Your result would be the same, as everyone is on the same tires. People you think that would do bad will learn, so tire choice is point less if everyone is on the same. This is a pointless thread. You are not cooler than anyone else suggesting comfort tires. Booo for you

Pretty funny that you think that is the point of the thread.

Well he does have a point. Whether you pick comfort or racing tires, the better drivers will find a way to squeeze 10ths off their lap times.

However, typical gamepad drivers can typically run within a few 10ths of Wheel drivers on racing tires. Comfort tires usually requires a wheel and pedals to properly modulate throttle and steering inputs. Since there is a smaller percentage of wheel racers out there, you'll inevitably see more racing tire rooms filled with gamepad drivers making it difficult to find the rooms you are looking for.

For good close racing on comfort soft tyres shuffle racing is your answer 👍. No, you don't drive the best cars, but that's just part of the fun, and the best racing online at the moment in my opinion.

Other than that you can only work on building up your friends list with others who like racing on comforts or sports, because most people online will always prefer race tyres, as they are perfectly entitled to do.

Man I almost don't even want to reply because this is so long and obviously a personal preference BUT here is my take: to ME adding racing tires makes sense. If I find another tire that will make my laps faster I'll go with that. I like track days with my motorcycles and cars in real life and guess what I use: race tires. Why would I use a DOT tire ( unless I'm planning on driving that car or bike home and not trailering it) if it is not improving my lap times it doesn't make sense. Not too mention they are loud (DOTs). I get it it adds a sense of realism which is cool to a point but these are races on race tracks and to me race tires seem logical. If they had a mode which was street mode where you were driving through canyon roads racing buddies on public streets etc then I could see it. Some of you will agree, the best lap times at all cost super competitive types, others won't. But the beauty of this game is the diversity and the ability to create your own rooms. Hopefully with more updates and eventually a new version of he game we will see even more variables and have even more choices and filters for rooms. The online part of this game is what makes it and these passionate debates will get us there before you know it.

~James~

Maybe because it's a racing game?

On classics I use the original tires though, sometimes slicks just don't look as good on them.

Antonisbob
Maybe because it's a racing game?

On classics I use the original tires though, sometimes slicks just don't look as good on them.

Well done. Work that out all on your own did you ?

Obviously the op is on about people using racing soft. All the time. No matter what car.
It may not be a majority of people but it seems to be. :-(

Unless you're driving in a car from a major racing league like NASCAR or F1, you should either be on slicks (sports tires) or all-season tires (comfort tires). racing tires in GT simulate extremely expensive custom made tires for professionally sponsored drivers.

Unless you're driving in a car from a major racing league like NASCAR or F1, you should either be on slicks (sports tires) or all-season tires (comfort tires). racing tires in GT simulate extremely expensive custom made tires for professionally sponsored drivers.

Slicks are not sports tyres, semi slicks are. Slicks are race tyres. Anyway, just race with whatever blows your hair back. It's a game. :sly:

Why is everybody using racing tires?

Because they are available? because some people want to RACE in RACING tires?

i run either sports hard or sport softs for my cars depending on their handling limits (the hyper street cars get the softs.. the grand tourers/bahn burners the mediums, and everything else such as my muscle or japan market tuners get sports hard)

Whats funny is the racing tires give you ridiculous levels of grip and alot of people still can't drive worth a 🤬.:lol:

Because I mostly race race cars! Can't put sports tires on race cars, what is this, bizarro world? Sheesh. But yeah, that's why.

I totally agree with OP. Some may say racing tires are "faster" and surely you'll do faster laptimes but hanging your car on the absolute ragged edge trying to hold it under control feels sooooo much faster though you're a couple seconds slower in the overall laptime.

With racing softs all you do is turn the wheel to the direction you want your car to go, and sometimes maybe brake a little bit.

With the RUF Yellowbird or BTR with sports hards you never turn the wheel the direction the track goes. You're always countersteering slightly (or more if your feet get too excited) and holding it on the absolute limit. Feels much faster I say.

Luckily a scene of people who like 500pp + sports hard has grown and it's quite easy to find such a server (or it would be if PD finally implemented proper filters) or if you host one people usually join quite quickly. I can't describe the feeling of racing around the nurburgring with RUF BTR or yellowbird with those tyres trying to keep it under control while there's 3 other cars in your rear view mirror and two in front.

When racing offline I use the default tyre for the car in question. Online, you have two choices

Spend a good while trying to find a room where people aren't using R3's, or create a room using something else and again have a good long wait

Feel free to add me on PSN if you have some non-R3 racing going on 👍

When racing offline I use the default tyre for the car in question. Online, you have two choices

Spend a good while trying to find a room where people aren't using R3's, or create a room using something else and again have a good long wait

Feel free to add me on PSN if you have some non-R3 racing going on 👍

Speaking of Sports Hard racing I just posted a video of an amazing sports hard battle and you, RacerPaul are in it too (though only in the beginning). Check it out here!

I only use the tyres my car is meant to be built like. If I've left it stock, I use the stock tyres. If it's actual racing attrition online I'd use Racing Softs. If it's built as a tune on a set of tyres I'll use those tyres. But the only reason everyone spams Racing Softs is because they're the quickest and grippiest tyres you'll find in this game. Although some cars are still good on Sports Softs.

Because I mostly race race cars! Can't put sports tires on race cars, what is this, bizarro world? Sheesh. But yeah, that's why.

Why not? I have run sports tires on race cars, especially touring cars like the 320. PD called them racing tires, but gave them a constant grip multiplier. What they are named doesn't matter, what matters is how they perform.

Sports Soft are probably Racing tires for 75% of the cars in game, and in real life, race slicks do not automatically equal 2g of cornering.

Because "everybody is using racing tires." Some wouldn't mind driving with sport or comfort tires but online if you're going to attempt to win you need racing softs on, cause everyone else has got 'em.

I think a huge problem is the fact that you need to buy tires in the first place. Combine that with being forced to progress through the game to buy things with credits and that some players aren't going to be great, and it's clear to see how racing soft could be so dominant.

GT5 should have no unlocking at all, but at the very least making tires an open option online would mean that everyone would be able to race on any tires, unlike now. Setting up a room on medium anything and having someone enter who is able to race is pure luck.

Sorry for using this topic to ask a question, but can someone explain to me the difference between racing soft tires and racing hard tires in NASCAR racing online? I was kicked out the other day from the host for using racing hard tires. I honestly do not know the difference between soft and hard tires other than soft gives you more grip and worn outs quicker.

But why is racing hard tires getting banned in NASCAR races online?

Here's why..... well let me start with this....I race a lot of NASCAR online and have done many of endurance races there. So through testing, Racing Hards would be a control tire....for example: it wears down at 20 laps on 30 lap tuning for racing softs. So number one you will have to pit more than the others subsequintly losing the race. And number two: racing hards will take longer (more laps) to warmup. So going into turn 1 through 2 on lap one the racing hards start to slip and make you too lose with full throttle in the turn thus usually causing collisions. So a host might see your selection and assume you have no experience on track or no credits to buy softs. And with that said the host will view you as not so competitive. But if you have a mic and are good you should just explain yourself to the host, if they are reasonable. I've been booted once from Indy racing Formula Gran Turismo for using hards too. I wasn't too disappointed, jokes on them because I just raced an Indy 500 that was through a league and involved many testings. The consensus was hards shave a second from your lap time but obviously the host didn't know that or give me time to explain. To tell you the truth it didn't bother me because I just found another room and upfront told the lobby and they tested and hopped on the racing hard bandwagon.

So to answer your question , it's because a lot of people think they know it all but the truth is they don't because they never took the time to test and properly learn to race that track.

Funny thing too...I'm hosting NASCAR rooms and only letting people in with hards but they are allowed to pit and change to softs lol just a thought!

Last edited:
Very interesting that you were running faster times with RH vs RS. Can I assume that anomaly is only something limited to oval tracks?

Well at daytona w a nascar n hards it adds 2 sec, at indy in a nascar its hard to hold a good line n adds time too. This anomaly only occurs at indy with racing hards in a formula gran turismo.

I think a huge problem is the fact that you need to buy tires in the first place. Combine that with being forced to progress through the game to buy things with credits and that some players aren't going to be great, and it's clear to see how racing soft could be so dominant.

GT5 should have no unlocking at all, but at the very least making tires an open option online would mean that everyone would be able to race on any tires, unlike now. Setting up a room on medium anything and having someone enter who is able to race is pure luck.
This; exactly this. We wouldn't have this racing soft problem at all if all the tyre grades were selectable when racing online. It's easily fixable things like this in GT5 that make me wonder if Polyphony actually did anything other than model the underside of a Suzuki Swift's right-rear seat during the first five years of development.

Back