WipEout HD/Fury

• Thread starter Havok_
  • 849 comments
i for one am ecstatic with the game. It is incredible, if you have ever played any of the wipeout variations or just simpy like to go fast as hell this game is for you.

wohd_20080926_031001jpg.jpg

wohd_20080926_061458jpg.jpg

wohd_20080926_092329jpg.jpg

I quite like the low price of entry with added content. I had 2097, but kept getting frustrated with it. I can bear playing a £12 game for a few hours, then sporadically.

Havok, are there any screenshots of what it looks like when you're actually playing? All the ones you've posted, and the ones on the promo videos look suspiciously like photomode/replays.

Also, are you using a sixaxis controller? I have DS3, which is supposed to support sixaxis, but I've never tried it.

After playing more Gamespot's review is off with only giving it a 7.5 for having reused tracks. They forget its only $20.

It's ONLY $20. That's cheaper than a freaking PSP game, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't buy it. None. It doesn't need a demo.

I feel like it's a really unique game with not much of a varied gameplay style. You either like it or you don't.

So basically, you could be throwing $20 away. Coincidently, would you mind wiring $20 to my PayPal account?

I quite like the low price of entry with added content. I had 2097, but kept getting frustrated with it. I can bear playing a £12 game for a few hours, then sporadically.

Havok, are there any screenshots of what it looks like when you're actually playing? All the ones you've posted, and the ones on the promo videos look suspiciously like photomode/replays.

Also, are you using a sixaxis controller? I have DS3, which is supposed to support sixaxis, but I've never tried it.

In all honesty the pics i posted were taken by pressing pause selecting "photo mode" and putting the angle where it would look prettiest :). The graphics for this game are spectacular, as a matter of fact the game looks better in motion. As for Sixaxis i haven't checked if it was an option:(

Last edited:
Got this game last night and had a go this morning, freaking awesome graphics and slick as snot. and to top it all off it has photomode.

I love this game and boy does it look good.

The photo-mode is excellent as well, easy to use and some great effects as well.

wohd20080926122925jpglc6.jpg

That make it look just as fast as it plays in Zones.

Scaff

Last edited:
Gamespot's review also miffed me... everyone else (like ign) praised it whereas Gamespot was mostly negative saying $20 was too much to pay for what is in essence a 'directors cut'.

Apparently there is meant to be a full blown next gen Wipeout in the pipeline.

Robin

Looks really good. How do you take the pics like that on the PS3?

Just pause the game at any point and you can then go straight into Photo-mode. Which allows you to play around with the camera, which ship you want to look at, shutter, aperture, motion blur, etc.

Once you happy you take the picture and it exports it to the Pictures area on the XMB in a Wipeout folder. I then used a datastick to get them off the PS3 and onto here.

Easy and it does look good.

Scaff

Here's some more for my fellow GTP members who still haven't gotten this incredible game. A few pics of the Icaras and one pic of my favorite vehicle in the game the Assagai

wohd_20080926_010829jpg.jpg

wohd_20080926_140311jpg.jpg

wohd_20080926_152139jpg.jpg

wohd_20080926_152707jpg.jpg

A few questions to decide whether I should get it:

Are there trophies?
How many modes and vehicles are there?
Is it like the PSP Wipeout Pure version (which I played a lot)?
Is the game going to be expanded at all in the future (excluding the full title coming)?

Thanks. :)

G.T
A few questions to decide whether I should get it:

Are there trophies?
How many modes and vehicles are there?
Is it like the PSP Wipeout Pure version (which I played a lot)?
Is the game going to be expanded at all in the future (excluding the full title coming)?

Thanks. :)

There are trophies
There are 5 modes each of which can be played in Campaign or in Quick Race;
-Race
-Tournament
-Zone
-Time Trial
-Speed Lap
As for the ships there are about 10 IIRC, but each has 3 skins you can unlock by staying 'faithful' to a particular team/ship. In Zone mode all ships are the same but have different markings for different teams.

The other two I'm not so sure about. But it's definitely worth a buy, it's so visually exciting and the audio is stunning too. Not to mention how exciting the races are in general. Even the menus look astonishingly good!

I'm also pleased because I came 6th in the online rankiings in one of the speed lap challenges on my first trip round that track. :D

Yeah, I'll end up buying it anyway. After looking around seems very similar and typical Wipeout which still, thankfully, hasn't been changed all that much apart from the graphics. :)

Thanks anyway!

In my mind along with GT5P this is an essential purchase, perhaps even more so than GT5P for the price.

It really is an amazing game and all I can do is recommend it. If it is anything like pulse and pure there will be plenty of downloadable content as Studio Liverpool seem more than happy to use this feature.

What's the online mode like? How does it work out? And how many players?

Online is 8 player very smooth, a bit low on features at the minute, you can do single races or championships and it does support voice chat, though I believe that is to be improved. There is a problem regarding the game crashing if you have more than 50 people in your friends list and that is being worked on also.

Hi guys been playing so decided to share a few shots of mine too. Ive clearly gone for the high saturation and contrast look.

WOHD_01.jpg

WOHD_02.jpg

WOHD_03.jpg

WOHD_04.jpg

WOHD_05.jpg

WOHD_06.jpg

WOHD_07.jpg

WOHD_08.jpg

WOHD_09.jpg

WOHD_10.jpg

WOHD_11.jpg

WOHD_12.jpg

Cheers.

I think we need a dedicated photomode thread, because if people start amassing pictures like GT4 then this thread is going to get big.

Wow! I'm seriously liking the look of this game, shame I was completely useless at the last Wipeout I owned, which was Fusion.

Fusion is a different beast from all the other WipEouts, it basically was the reason why there has been no new home console version for a long time. Even if you feel like you need to build up to it HD has a pilot assist mode to keep you off the walls.

Just pause the game at any point and you can then go straight into Photo-mode. Which allows you to play around with the camera, which ship you want to look at, shutter, aperture, motion blur, etc.

Once you happy you take the picture and it exports it to the Pictures area on the XMB in a Wipeout folder. I then used a datastick to get them off the PS3 and onto here.

Easy and it does look good.

Scaff
Are you able to do that with every PS3 game?

This is probably one of the best-value games I've ever come across! I've seen quite a few full-price titles with less content and replayability than this game.

It starts off really easy but now, as I'm going through the 4/8 events (trying to Gold everything), the difficulty has suddenly risen, and I'm only on Skilled difficulty! I can only imagine what it would be like at full speed Elite difficulty... Some of the trophies are ridiculous in that aspect - will be a real challenge.

It's remarkably similar to the PSP Pure version too, so I vaguely know all the tracks I come across already. Except it's a little harder...

I have been loving this game since I got it Thursday.

Anyone have any tips for a guy that is just playing the series for the first time?

And I noticed that one of the trophies is for performing a barrel roll on Moa Therma....how? With all the mag tracks I am having trouble getting airborne.

Also, I was just curious who preferred what ship(s). I have been hooked on Mirage since I unlocked it. It seems well balanced.

I keep leaving AutoPilot on. At first I forget to turn it off and then don't want to stop to do it. Does it slow you down? I notice that just by riding close to the wall on a straight it will come on and nudge me over a bit.

Latest Posts

Back