WipEout HD/Fury

• Thread starter Havok_
  • 849 comments
G.T
The overall top speed of the races change, from Venon to Phantom. It greatly increases the difficulty of trying to do a clean lap, so if you're finding it difficult now then you're mince meat for the faster modes. I've never used pilot assist before, but it's definitely playable without it.
Do it for just one race and there is a trophy in it for you. I think you are missing eth photomode trophy too. Take one pic.

Okay, I understand now. I think another thing is that Ive always used the same ship, so i could get loyalty rewards, and that ship has pretty awful handling, and on Chengu project or however thats spelled, its difficult to make the tight turns.
You're using Piranha aren't you? That thing is fast, but tough to turn on tight courses.

When you unlock Mirage use it as it is a well-balanced all around ship. I mainly use it and then switch if I find I need some more speed or handling for a specific event.

and if you are concerned about Loyalty Points go into Racebox and do a Speed Lap event. You can do up to 99 laps, by yourself, with your energy staying fully charged. You could even set it on Phantom speed. Heck, with pilot assist you could probably put a rubberband on the X button and walk away.

Anyway, 30 points per lap, so Speed Lap will get you up to 2,970.

You should turn the autopilot on for at least one race (and win) to get another bronze throphy ;)

Dont bother too much with the loyalty points. Ship skins unlock at only 4000 and 8000 points, and in Zone mode, all the stats are equal for all teams, and you can rack up points there quite easily.

I havnt decided myself which team im going to maximize on though, so far Assagai (sp?) is my most used one, but im going to unlock all ship skins first. Im roughly halfway on that one.

Do it for just one race and there is a trophy in it for you. I think you are missing eth photomode trophy too. Take one pic.

You're using Piranha aren't you? That thing is fast, but tough to turn on tight courses.

When you unlock Mirage use it as it is a well-balanced all around ship. I mainly use it and then switch if I find I need some more speed or handling for a specific event.

and if you are concerned about Loyalty Points go into Racebox and do a Speed Lap event. You can do up to 99 laps, by yourself, with your energy staying fully charged. You could even set it on Phantom speed. Heck, with pilot assist you could probably put a rubberband on the X button and walk away.

Anyway, 30 points per lap, so Speed Lap will get you up to 2,970.

Well actually I was using EG-X, because of its good speed and thrust, but the handling is only 70. And I already have Mirage unlocked, I just never saw how even its stats are, so I will try that one out now.

And about the whole racebox thing, I was doing that earlier, just to practice and when i quit, I dont think that i got the Loyalty points.

Last edited:
Dont bother too much with the loyalty points. Ship skins unlock at only 4000 and 8000 points, and in Zone mode, all the stats are equal for all teams, and you can rack up points there quite easily.
And HUDs at 6,000 and I believe 10,000.

Plus, there are some trophies tied to loyalty points, skins, and HUDs.

I need to get back into the game. After being determined to find out if Flatland Flier is possible (barrel roll on Moa Therma) I burned myself out.

EDIT:
Dead_Poetic
And about the whole racebox thing, I was doing that earlier, just to practice and when i quit, I dont think that i got the Loyalty points.
I did that myself the first time. In a Racebox Speed Lap, if you quit before 99 laps go to End Session at the top of the pause menu, not Quit. End Session will take you to the results screen where it tallies up your loyalty points and best times.

Last edited:
Nevermind my post, I figured out you have to select "end session" not quit race. Thanks for the advice Foolkiller.

Got it, LOVE IT!! I need to get use to it, it's not Gran Turismo ;) lol
I took some pics :)
Here are my all 10 pics
Enjoy
You need to click on the link guys because these are 1080 images, I don't wanna spam you guys ;) Tell me which one is the best looking one. thanks
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Last edited:
Thanks for all the photos and info, folks, this looks and sounds fantastic. Cool detail with the in-game music being "attached" to the track. It's been a long time, I think the last time I played this was on my N64.........

Wipeout had a release on the n64 as well.

That flatland flier barrel roll on moa therma is not too hard to get; its the bump in the final S-turn. Do it in speedlap mode, get a boost up to that point, point your nose up and roll.
You can even land the barrelroll when flying backwards (i got the trophy on the forward track direction, flying backwards)

Wipeout had a release on the n64 as well.

That flatland flier barrel roll on moa therma is not too hard to get; its the bump in the final S-turn. Do it in speedlap mode, get a boost up to that point, point your nose up and roll.
You can even land the barrelroll when flying backwards (i got the trophy on the forward track direction, flying backwards)
Oh, I got it, but it to 50 laps. 30 of them were just finding where you get airborne.

Ahhs, I thought it was an exclusive. And I thought First wipeout game was for PSone. And I am correct on that, in a way ;) lol

Source Wikipedia
--Wipeoud
Released in 1995 for PlayStation, Sega Saturn, DOS CD-ROM.
--Wipeout 2097 / XL
Released in 1996 for PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Microsoft Windows CD-ROM, Mac OS/Mac OS X, Amiga.
--Wipeout 64
Released in 1998 for the Nintendo 64.

Well so How is ONLINE PLAY? I still did not play online. I still play on easy with AI tring to get into it :)
So are there private rooms? How is voice chat quality?

Well so How is ONLINE PLAY? I still did not play online. I still play on easy with AI tring to get into it :)
So are there private rooms? How is voice chat quality?

Online play is pretty awesome actually, you can setup 12-race tournaments! It has private rooms, but no voice chat..or text chat, so no communication at all.
My only gripe is that the settings for the matches are displayed as icons, so at first its quite difficult to work out which track you are racing, etc. It makes it less cluttered though, so its a bit of a trade off.

We should start organising races here, having an 8 player tournament is a rare occurence online at the moment, people keep leaving before the end.

To be fair though, seeing as I paid £12 for it, its pretty decent and great for short bursts of online fun.

I wonder if you can make a private onlne race? the only times i've raced online it's been with random strangers. Another thing i would like to note is that most of the Wipeout players are from the UK and even then i get 0 lag consdering the distance..Impressive..

I wonder if you can make a private onlne race? the only times i've raced online it's been with random strangers. Another thing i would like to note is that most of the Wipeout players are from the UK and even then i get 0 lag consdering the distance..Impressive..

I think you can create games with friends only.

I'm having a fantastic time with this game. The speed! I'm struggling with the handling, and spend a lot of time on the walls. The visuals are amazing, and the "Zone" challenges are rendered in mind-bending colors. Well done.

I just got this yesterday, its sooo goood.:)
I love how the colours change in zone mode,
though i usually crash out as soon as it gets to phantom.
One thing that is quite strange though,
the only times ive won online,
have been on tracks ive never done before.:scared:

I just got this yesterday, its sooo goood.:)
I love how the colours change in zone mode,
though i usually crash out as soon as it gets to phantom.
One thing that is quite strange though,
the only times ive won online,
have been on tracks ive never done before.:scared:

Zone is fantastic, just give it some practice you'll get the hang of it. Phantom class is tough but when you get to Zen, super zen, and sub sonic, that is really epic. VERY CHALLENGING..

Ty. :)

I've progressed to the last Event stage on the campaign, and it's suddenly become a fair challenge. I have absolutely no idea how to win the races on Elite at Phantom speed since I swear they can corner quicker than you around tighter bends! I barely manage it on Skilled.

I've tried to unlock as many trophies as I can. The Zone 50 with only Airbrakes and Side Steps (using only R2 and L2 to steer) was fairly easy, and getting to Zone 20 without hitting anything was fairly easy too. Only on Anulpha Pass though, since that's the easiest course to race by far.

I tried attempting beating the 30.88 second lap record Gold Trophy and it's soooooo frustrating. You have to do 3-4 barrel rolls on a lap and get the timing absolutely perfect each time. Even when I do get the air I can't seem to barrel roll quick enough. Too hard... :mad: There's a video on how to do it here:

He makes it look easy.

I can do the barrel rolls pretty well, but I'm using the stick and not the d-pad, for some reason I'm better at the barrel rolls with the stick, but feel I can turn tighter with the pad.

I did not know you could barrel roll any time you get airborn, thought you could only do this off jumps or drops. I can see by the vid that I have a LONG way to go to be as fast as that dude, thanks for posting.

This game is baddass! Glorious graphics (even at SD levels), fast is an understatement, but its like I remember it, and the soundtrack is a killer! Well worth the £12 download fee!

Oh yeah, its got photomode too, though at SD level its pretty naff - the game only saves the images at the resolution it was run at. Maybe in future, they will patch it up so the rest of us can produce quality images too. 👍

Playing this reminded me of another killer game (in the same vein), that was criminally over looked - Rollcage! Now that was a game and a half, and in many ways I though it usurped Wipeout! Just as fast, just a sexy, but with some totally 'out there' weapons. Anyone remember the wormhole? :lol: Rollcage is another classic that more than deserves a HD update! Stage III anyone? 👍

This game is baddass! Glorious graphics (even at SD levels), fast is an understatement, but its like I remember it, and the soundtrack is a killer! Well worth the £12 download fee!

Oh yeah, its got photomode too, though at SD level its pretty naff - the game only saves the images at the resolution it was run at. Maybe in future, they will patch it up so the rest of us can produce quality images too. 👍

Playing this reminded me of another killer game (in the same vein), that was criminally over looked - Rollcage! Now that was a game and a half, and in many ways I though it usurped Wipeout! Just as fast, just a sexy, but with some totally 'out there' weapons. Anyone remember the wormhole? :lol: Rollcage is another classic that more than deserves a HD update! Stage III anyone? 👍

I remember Rollcage! That was a great game too, though I think I'll take Wipeout over that, I would love to see it released on the PSN, either as an updated HD version or just ported PS1 game.

Anyway, I found that headsets do actually work with Wipeout HD online! It just doesn't tell you,lol. You can't mute people though (I dont think you can anyway).
I also realised the epic-awesome-ness that is custom playlist-soundtracks :crazy:

If anyone wants to have some online races, I suggest we start adding each others PSN IDs, as you can create races online with slots for friends only (and you can filter the games by friends too, so its easy to setup private or semi-private races).
I use my non-GTP ID for Wipeout, so thats Ardius_ if anyone wants to race.

I reached Zone 67 earlier. You have to be soooo consistent, and adapt quickly to the upgrade of speeds. If you become even slightly distracted you lose your consistency for the rest of the game...

I also realised the epic-awesome-ness that is custom playlist-soundtracks :crazy:

For sure! You can find me blasting around listening to Jean Michel Jarre!

I can't understand why so few games have adopted it though. One of my favourite things on the original XBOX was the fact that you could have custom soundtracks. 👍

G.T
I reached Zone 67 earlier. You have to be soooo consistent, and adapt quickly to the upgrade of speeds. If you become even slightly distracted you lose your consistency for the rest of the game...

Yeah, I'm finding it tough to get the 20-consecutive perfect laps trophy, and I can never get further than zone 47, so no zone 75 trophy for me either.
I'll just go after the all-liveries trophy, now that I can do.

Uuuuurgh, I reached Zone 71 earlier. I was so consistent then suddenly screwed it up. I was 99% sure I was going to do it since I was scraping walls lightly with 50 energy left. I lost all of that in one go by bouncing off the walls uncontrollably 6 times in a row. :ouch:

Now that my fun little beta is gone :( I can get back into this game (Never fear LittleBigBuddy, your full release is only 8 days away).

G.T
I tried attempting beating the 30.88 second lap record Gold Trophy and it's soooooo frustrating. You have to do 3-4 barrel rolls on a lap and get the timing absolutely perfect each time. Even when I do get the air I can't seem to barrel roll quick enough. Too hard... :mad:

He makes it look easy.
Well, when you consider that Vico was a developer who was playing the game all the time in various forms of development for months on end and that the time given was based on the winner of a competition between all the developers it is easy to see why he is so good and why even the best gamers will take a while to beat him.

I figure that it is forever out of my reach as I am not fast enough to get clean barrel rolls on anything but jumps. I'm more likely to make myself swerve around in mid-air, slowing me down instead. On a really bad day I hit the wall.

Sounds like they intended you to show off the images on your PS3, not copy them to a PC. A patch could fix that. Hopefully they will do it.

For sure! You can find me blasting around listening to Jean Michel Jarre!

I can't understand why so few games have adopted it though. One of my favourite things on the original XBOX was the fact that you could have custom soundtracks. 👍
I find a few good hard rock songs work very well with the pace. Flyleaf, Evanescence, and some Eve's Plum get plenty of play while I am playing.

As for other games using it: We are just getting to the point where PSN games weren't too far along to implement it. I figure over the next year we will see more games that use it. Until recently the only choice was an in-game music player (PAIN and SSHD), but now Wipeout and Super Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars have come out with it and Warhawk has patched it in. So games with longer development cycles probably won't see it until early 2009 in order to avoid any delays on upcoming releases.

G.T
I lost all of that in one go by bouncing off the walls uncontrollably 6 times in a row. :ouch:
Been there, done that. Of course, I wasn't nearly as far along as you. But it is annoying when you make one mistake and the speed is so fast that you cannot react quick enough to prevent the bouncing.

Just popped in to say this is proabably the best £12 i've ever spent! (even though there's no Van-uber in it:sly:)

WipEout is back in full force!👍

Just popped in to say this is proabably the best £12 i've ever spent! (even though there's no Van-uber in it:sly:)

WipEout is back in full force!👍

I wouldn't put it past them to offer downloadable content soon, such as new tracks and ships. I also miss Van Uber and Tigron, and I hope we get some classic tracks from the previous wipeouts, as good as these PSP tracks are, I'd much prefer many of the tracks from the older games, especially 2097 and Fusion.

Back