WipEout HD/Fury

• Thread starter Havok_
  • 849 comments
I noticed that if you have already golded the time trials, you should automatically get the Elite gold now that the medal system has changed. However, the "race" medals will remain on whatever level you won them on. I just tried a new race event this evening, and I can assure you, the competition on Novice is still fierce as hell :nervous: I tried a couple of races on Elite and I couldn't even see the 7th place guy :ill: In other words, if this is their idea of making life easier, I'd hate to see them try to make it a bit harder...

I noticed that if you have already golded the time trials, you should automatically get the Elite gold now that the medal system has changed. However, the "race" medals will remain on whatever level you won them on. I just tried a new race event this evening, and I can assure you, the competition on Novice is still fierce as hell :nervous: I tried a couple of races on Elite and I couldn't even see the 7th place guy :ill: In other words, if this is their idea of making life easier, I'd hate to see them try to make it a bit harder...
I checked it out last night. The difficulty ratings were already there for the actual races, this is just adding difficulty settings to Time Trials, Speed Laps, and Zones. And from what I could tell, the less difficult settings only reduced goals to a more manageable level. Gameplay itself has not changed in any way.

Races already had the difficulty settings. This is benefiting me, as my lack of racing skill was easily made up for by proper weapon usage in the races, but I often only managed a silver or bronze in the other events.

It is allowing me a better chance at getting all golds for the trophy, although I imagine that as I get into the upper areas of the campaign mode I will still have to work for it.

I 've been busy re-downloading all of my psn games since my ps3 got the YLOD. Wipeout was the last one , and boy did i miss it. I even got the elusive beat zico trophy, and boy was it a pain in the @$$. Actually did it in exactly 30.82, after many many laps tryng to beat my 30.90 ghost. anyways just wanted to share my latest exploit :)

I need reasons to spend money like a hole in the head, but having read through every page of this thread the desire to buy Wipeout HD is pretty strong...

Incidentally, has anyone here downloaded the PSX version for £3.49 or whatever it costs? I'm tempted by that too, I loved the original Wipeout and having it on the PS3 is tempting for the times I get sick of punters on GT5P or bored of GTA4!

Getting back into this game after a bit of a spell away - and it still impresses! It is the best value for money of any PS3 game I've bought so far, and I still love it - although occasionally it can be immensely annoying, like when you are challenging for the lead on the final lap, and some bugger blows you up. That makes me mad. *counts to ten, clenches fists, takes a deep breath*

I need reasons to spend money like a hole in the head, but having read through every page of this thread the desire to buy Wipeout HD is pretty strong...

Incidentally, has anyone here downloaded the PSX version for £3.49 or whatever it costs? I'm tempted by that too, I loved the original Wipeout and having it on the PS3 is tempting for the times I get sick of punters on GT5P or bored of GTA4!

I'm holding out for 2097 to get a PSN release, much more rounded than the original game, and far more content to boot.

Away with work at the moment and Wipeout Pure on the PSP is helping keep me going, so I will have to give HD some more time when I get back.

Looking forward to the Wipeout HD 'Fury' DLC that is coming soon as well...

"The WipEout HD Fury expansion pack will increase the content of your current game with 8 new tracks, 13 new ship models and 3 new game modes, 2 of which will be available for online play," explains Buckley.

The expansion will also add new trophies to unlock, a changed front-end menu system and "improved multiplayer functionality". Here's the details on the new modes, in Buckley's words:

"The Eliminator game mode will allow you to release all that pent-up aggression as you use the full arsenal of Wipeout weaponry to destroy your opponents. Forget those racing lines; this is all about destruction, with the victor being the first to reach the target score!

"Zone Battle is about risk and reward! Acceleration is automatic as you swoop over zone pads to fill your zone bar. Your choice is whether to use the bar to increase your speed and boost your ship ever closer to the target zone or absorb it to replenish vital lost energy. Warning, avoid the 'zone barriers', obstacles left on the track by your opponents as they boost towards the target zone, hitting these can literally destroy your hopes of victory!

"Our Detonator mode introduces a brand new ship model to the game that will test both your piloting skills and your shooting accuracy as you accelerate through as many as 14 stages. Score points by destroying the mines that have been strewn along the track and take out the bomb on each stage to earn additional points. The more accurate you are the more points and bonuses you will score!"
Source - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=216181
Pictures - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217354

Regards

Scaff

Last edited:
Have Wip3out on my PSP at the moment :P It's interesting to note that the PSX game manages a couple of the visual flares missed out of the PSP versions, such as birds fluttering away from the track as you zoom past :)

Looking forward to WipEout HD Fury as well - it was announced on the first day of E3, surprised it hasn't received more coverage on gaming news sites. Have to say Detonator mode looks awesome.

Also, in the Japanese PSN store, there is two WipEout HD themes for the PS3 which are pretty cool... the icons are all different WipEout ships :D

I know you posted this ages ago and you probably already know by now, but just incase you don't; these themes are now available on the EU store too. I'm using one at the minute and it looks very stylish.

I know you posted this ages ago and you probably already know by now, but just incase you don't; these themes are now available on the EU store too. I'm using one at the minute and it looks very stylish.

Haha, yeah, i'm using the one that's all white and have it set to the light blue wave background, looks great :)

Anyway, thought all you guys would be interested in this, track list by one of the lead developers (Paul Tweedle):

Hi,

To confirm the tracks in the pack; you will be able to play are;

Modesto Heights forward,
Modesto Heights reverse,
Tech De Ra forwards,
Tech De Ra reverse,
The Amphiseum forward,
The Amphiseum reverse,
Talon's Juction forward,
Talon's Junction reverse.

Plus the below Zone (also playable in Zone Battle and Detonator) tracks playable forwards only;

Mallavol,
Syncopia,
Corridon 12,
Pro Tozo.

Tony also forgot to mention that there will be a new single player Fury Campaign too, which includes events using the three new modes.

Paul.

I just unlocked the rather groovy silver skins for each of the craft... you need to get a medal in every event, and I just ran through the final section (Meltdown) now... well worth the effort :)👍

silverp.jpg

Last edited:
I just unlocked the rather groovy silver skins for each of the craft... you need to get a medal in every event, and I just ran through the final section (Meltdown) now... well worth the effort :)👍

silverp.jpg

Damn, Meltdown is impossible :) I just cannot do Phantom o.O And that's coming from a guy that used to have a world record on a track :P

Last edited:
Yeh, Phantom class is pretty tricky - although if you just want to clear the medals, use Novice mode and you should get them without too much pain. I got 1 Elite Gold, 2 Skilled Golds, 1 Elite Silver, 12 Novice Gold and 1 Novice Silver on my epic mission yesterday, and I'm going to try bumping some of the novice medals up to Skilled, although I can safely say there is no chance of me getting Elite Golds on some of these levels :ill: By the way, I switched from using Assegai to Harimau for most (if not all) of Meltdown. I reckon I will need to use Icaras for some of the time trials, but otherwise Harimau is possibly the best all rounder for Phantom class in my opinion 👍

edit: I'm trying to get my final Gold (albeit on Novice!) on Meltdown - the 8 race tournament cell, which I lost by two points last night (and a certain word starting with F was heard in abundance).

Last edited:
I Don't understand how some of the events are possible in meltdown on Elite difficulty. The time trials and speed laps are hard but doable. The races though are down right impossible. Gave up on trying to do that trophy as well as Zone Zeus. Beating Zico is the limit of my skill.

Nevertheless i really like the game. I just Stick to racing Flash normally.

👍 on getting the "Beat Zico" trophy, that one is tough...

I find the races the hardest to win on Elite too... Time Trials are usually OK, and even on Meltdown, they can be even golded on the first lap. But in order to win the races on Elite, I reckon you need quite alot of time and a considerable amount of effort!

As if to demonstrate this point, I just got a Skilled Gold on a race at Sebenco Climb, and set a PB race record of 1.54:54 in the process; so I step up to Elite and come last - by 14 seconds :ill: The winner clocked a 1.41:xx, which is unbelievably quick. So I think I need to use a faster ship for this one...

And I just got the Campaign Legend silver trophy for gaining golds in all 87 events :D and I now have more Elite Golds than Skilled/Novice Golds too :D

Here's my complete stats:

(Event - Elite Skilled Novice)

Uplift - 6 0 0
Warped - 8 0 0
Frenzy - 10 0 0
Vertigo - 10 0 0
Head Rush - 10 0 0
Speed Freak - 12 0 0
Dropzone - 14 0 0
Meltdown - 17 0 0

Total Golds: 87 Elite; 0 Skilled; 0 Novice

(14/06/09: Totals: 42 Elite; 13 Skilled; 32 Novice)

(22/07/09: Elite Campaign Legend gold :D )

Last edited:
I think I'm gunna have to get back into WipEout HD now, need to at least clear every track if you've gone and got gold in all of them ;)

Never actually raced in Hamirau at all I think, so I'll give that ship a try.

My personal suggestion for the 87 Elite Gold: Feisar and EG X, but using AG-SYS and Harimaou on events like Sebenco Climb and Chenghou Project where more propulsion is needed. I used Icarus in a Time Trial where I needed a faster time.

Strangely, I've never really used either the Feisar or the EGX... Now that I am trying get Skilled and Elite Golds, I've switched to Icaras and Piranha... although I still struggle in the races with those, so I will try the ones you've suggested 👍 Does that mean you have the Elite Campaign Legend trophy, Aero-R?

Strangely, I've never really used either the Feisar or the EGX... Now that I am trying get Skilled and Elite Golds, I've switched to Icaras and Piranha... although I still struggle in the races with those, so I will try the ones you've suggested 👍 Does that mean you have the Elite Campaign Legend trophy, Aero-R?
Yes, only Zone Zeus left for the 100%. I'm stuck in Zone 74 unfortunately, I hope to get it one day with the time. Most of the time I'm in the online enjoying a few races so I've not tried it well with the enough time, but I hope to have the oportunity in summer since now I'm a bit busy in my job and in the university.

If you don't mind me taking a bit of your time to give you a short explain: to be honest, this was one of my biggest challenge in mind when talking about beating a game since the first week I was playing it. This is my first WipEout unfortunately, because I wanted to play the other ones in the past but I couldn't, I just played the original one in 1995 for a few hours. So... at the beginning I wasn't even sure to be able of doing a thing like this... without the experience of the other WipEout before I was thinking I couldn't reach the needed handling for a so skill-based game. With the time and much passion for the game (I always had love for the WipEout design, concept, music, ambient and so on) I started to feel I was not only learning more or less how to pilot in WipEout but also enjoying it like a kid while listening to a special music score I applyed to it focused on instrumental trance melodies that speed-up the BPMs of my heart. I consider WipEout HD the hardest Playstation 3 title when talking about trophies (others says there's also a 2nd one: Warhawk) but at the same time the Playstation 3 game with the highest price/quality relation anybody can find (and more after I saw it did get a discount for a limited time months ago). I highly suggest everybody who love this game, to not give up, because it's worth every time you spend on it.

There are amazing players out there, believe me. I've been shocked many times of the results of players I do know in the online modes. I'm just a normal pilot who tries to enjoy the WipEout universe as much as possible. I would be very pleased to drive with anybody from here in the skies, so I hope to see you there too mate (and by the way, I've realized now that you're removed the mask from your avatar, let me tell you it gave me a lot of laughs on its time !).

Last edited:
Yes, only Zone Zeus left for the 100%. I'm stuck in Zone 74 unfortunately, I hope to get it one day with the time. Most of the time I'm in the online enjoying a few races so I've not tried it well with the enough time, but I hope to have the oportunity in summer since now I'm a bit busy in my job and in the university.

If you don't mind me taking a bit of your time to give you a short explain: to be honest, this was one of my biggest challenge in mind when talking about beating a game since the first week I was playing it. This is my first WipEout unfortunately, because I wanted to play the other ones in the past but I couldn't, I just played the original one in 1995 for a few hours. So... at the beginning I wasn't even sure to be able of doing a thing like this... without the experience of the other WipEout before I was thinking I couldn't reach the needed handling for a so skill-based game. With the time and much passion for the game (I always had love for the WipEout design, concept, music, ambient and so on) I started to feel I was not only learning more or less how to pilot in WipEout but also enjoying it like a kid while listening to a special music score I applyed to it focused on instrumental trance melodies that speed-up the BPMs of my heart. I consider WipEout HD the hardest Playstation 3 title when talking about trophies (others says there's also a 2nd one: Warhawk) but at the same time the Playstation 3 game with the highest price/quality relation anybody can find (and more after I saw it did get a discount for a limited time months ago). I highly suggest everybody who love this game, to not give up, because it's worth every time you spend on it.

There are amazing players out there, believe me. I've been shocked many times of the results of players I do know in the online modes. I'm just a normal pilot who tries to enjoy the WipEout universe as much as possible. I would be very pleased to drive with anybody from here in the skies, so I hope to see you there too mate

👍

I have to admit, it's been a while since any game has really captured my heart in the way that WipEout HD has! And I'm right with you on the custom music tracks - I made my second playlist yesterday, and I swear, some songs really do give you that extra edge to get you the Gold!

I haven't played online all that much, but I'm looking forward to taking part a bit more now - although I agree with you, judging by the record times online, there are some amazing players out there!

Anyway, it sounds like you're way more advanced in the game than I am so far, but will definitely have to have a race sometime!

(and by the way, I've realized now that you're removed the mask from your avatar, let me tell you it gave me a lot of laughs on its time !).
:D I'm not sure I needed the mask, what with the helmet and everything, but you can never be too careful!

I haven't played online all that much, but I'm looking forward to taking part a bit more now - although I agree with you, judging by the record times online, there are some amazing players out there!
Take in mind that also unfortunately there are bugs in those ranks. You'll see them clearly as for example, one with more than 1000 zones in count but with less than 10 perfect laps, which is imposible. I hope that Studio Liverpool fix this soon.

I noticed a few weird things, like the lap records on some circuits are all wrong, which is a shame - but nevertheless, it's great being able to compare your own lap times to your PSN friends...

I just got an Elite gold after about 10,000,000 million attempts, and had "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" by John Barry playing in the background :D

edit: Just scored my 50th Elite Gold :cheers: Was listening 'Electric Counterpoint' by Steve Reich....

I think it's time for my bed now. I wonder what I will dream about this evening? 💡

Last edited:
Interesting idea the playing with that music.

The last trophy I obtained was the Zico one, and after more than 500 laps. It was done in a day in which I did 190 of those 500 laps. One of my last remembers of that sesion was this cut (skip to 02:22): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUN44xjramQ

I get mad with all those lights, the Phantom speeds, the internal view while doing Barrel Rolls and music like that at high dB in the room. This is the future. It's quite sad that The Designers Republic closed this year..

Last edited:
Good to see this thread alive again, I am still playing, and online as well. I like the rapier class stuff, phantom can get too frenetic, and I'm glad to know others struggle with the events in the upper campaign levels-even with a boost start I lose a ton of ground that is hard to make up.

Barrel rolls in cockpit view, that's pretty sick Aero!

Barrel rolls in cockpit view, that's pretty sick Aero!
I should admit that by playing in internal view it's like a disadvantage sometimes, because on external you can see easier the distance to the ground so you have more times to do barrel rolls. In internal you usually don't get easy that feeling of air below you because everytime you feel so fast and near to the ground, that it's hard to tell where you can do one or not. And, because of the speed you feel in internal it's like you're afraid sometimes of do a barrel roll in some parts because you feel you'll go directly to the wall, and if you do the same one but in external view you can check you have enough space. So.. at the end of the day I understand why a lot of players user the external one, but.. for me internal is the only way to go, it's a spiritual thing, all about feelings and perceptions, you fly like by instinct and even in a little disadvantage, I wouldn't change that feeling for anything.

An example is after the split in Ubermall, do a barrel roll on the hill and then when falling, in the right-left corner, do another one before the two later speed panels by taking the air outside the track, all in internal view, and THAT's sick, you end like on a dream. I really love the feelings that this game give me :dopey:

Look at what this pilot does !, it's amazing !, I've to give it a try from internal :dopey::

Last edited:

gosh.gif

This video not only hints that I may lack the physical ability to pull off such moves, but also demonstrates that I have a severe lack of imagination as to what may be possible... that said, that's what the interweb is for - if you can't figure it out yourself, cheat :D I am going to try (and probably fail miserably) to do this when I get home!

Last edited:
Yeah it was done by a partner in the wipeoutzone site. I congratulated him for such a move, and even asked him the song, it's a so futuristic cut.

I would like to do that from internal view. I'll give it a try with the time.

Great avatar by the way : )

:)👍 Cheers, thought it was appropriate given my current gaming addiction :D

The music I use is generally a bit older, and less 'electronica' (although I do use a few tracks similar to the original soundtrack). Some recommended tracks from my playlists: Blue Monday by New Order; Two Tribes by Frankie Goes To Hollywood; Leave Them All Behind by Ride; Crockett's Theme by Jan Hammer; Zoolook by Jean Michel Jarre; Animate by Rush; Girls by Prodigy; Master of Puppets by Metallica; A Sprinkling of Clouds by Gong; On The Silent Wings Of Freedom by Yes and my favourite - Tour De France by Kraftwerk

Aero, thanks for posting the vid. I might even be able to pull that one off-that second barrel roll is likely harder than it looked. I also love the cockpit view, when I get it right, it gives me the giggles. I'm not fast enough in it in the upper levels, so back to the chase view for me there.

Agreed TM, I've watched people online just disappear ahead of me via some clever shortcut, and hung my head a bit in shame for not thinking of it myself.

Back