::::: World Super GT Championship | Round 2 | Corkscrew GT | Friday 11-03-04 :::::

• Thread starter Masi_23
  • 280 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Wonder what controllers you guys use?
I use a DFGT but after I've learned that the DS3 controllers have a FRONT TIRE WEAR ADVANTAGE :grumpy:, I'm thinking about relearning how to drive with the controller again.

Not sure if everyone's aware of this bug (or feature depending on your point of view) but the DS3 controller doesn't allow the front tires to turn past the physical limit of grip, whereas the steering wheel does, causing more tire wear due to tire scrubbing. You can clearly see the difference when you take an open wheel car (F1) on a track and sharply turn at high speed. THIS GIVES DS3 controllers A BIG FRONT TIRE WEAR ADVANTAGE over steering wheels in ENDURANCE RACES.

More about the issue in this post... https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180266&page=2

It's a very good thing we have one mandatory pit stop 👍 This somewhat limits the effect of the bug.

Last edited:
I made a Google Doc spreadsheet for the stewards to use to post qualifying times during the SuperQuali. sessions.

Click here for link

It's an easy, complete (every track is listed in different sheets you can select toward the bottom of the spreadsheet) way to collect quali. results. The first race at Suzuka was archived by being moved all the way to the right in the order of tracks. This is so the current track being run opens first when you open the sheet.

Everyone can view the doc but only the stewards may alter it. An awesome way for everyone to keep track of quali. times posted in real-time.

Here's the qualifying sheet we're looking to use as the official time registry.

Cheers

Mate just to let you know. I have the ability to change the spreadsheet :scared:

I use a DFGT but after I've learned that the DS3 controllers have a FRONT TIRE WEAR ADVANTAGE :grumpy:, I'm thinking about relearning how to drive with the controller again.

Not sure if everyone's aware of this bug (or feature depending on your point of view) but the DS3 controller doesn't allow the front tires to turn past the physical limit of grip, whereas the steering wheel does, causing more tire wear due to tire scrubbing. You can clearly see the difference when you take an open wheel car (F1) on a track and sharply turn at high speed. THIS GIVES DS3 controllers A BIG FRONT TIRE WEAR ADVANTAGE over steering wheels in ENDURANCE RACES.

More about the issue in this post... https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180266&page=2

It's a very good thing we have one mandatory pit stop 👍 This somewhat limits the effect of the bug.

I don't know that it's an advantage as such, it's just different. You can drive the same way using the wheel, but you have to control the optimum wheel angle manually as it were. With the DS3 it does a lot of that for you.

I didn't know about the DS3 thing (because I rarely use one), but I did know about the front tyre scrubbing with a wheel. I've practised very hard the last couple of weeks to train myself to use the minimum steering angle around corners where possible, and it really helps. I recommend it to all wheel users.

I did know about the front tyre scrubbing with a wheel. I've practised very hard the last couple of weeks to train myself to use the minimum steering angle around corners where possible, and it really helps.

I've been trying to minimize my steering angle as well but sadly it is technically not feasible to ever achieve the artificially "perfect" steering angles of the DS3 filter. You can brutally steer with the DS3 lock to lock all race and still get less front tirewear than being super duper accurate and careful with the DFGT.

Oh, don't know why I thought we get bonus points for participate, but I guess we don't. Talking in regarts to Wilhelm, where its said it doesnt matter if he is on the result page. I'd still like to see him there, just so we can see he took the time to join and race with us, and get credit for it in that way.

Also it would be easier to count started races that way, if there will be need to find a tiebreaker. And it would be easier to find errors in the points, as now its quite a mystery (if you didn't race in D2) how Wilhelm gets rep points, when he isn't even in the result page from that race.

Another thing, how many laps do you have to complete to get rep points? Only asking because GTP_afrikan_kat didn't get any, and only completed 1 lap, and Wilhelm got rep points for completing his 18 laps - where is the breaker?

Sorry for talking about the very small things that all most probably doesnt matter, but I'm in for consistency and proper resultpresentation.

So we still roll 500&300 on the same track? I thought we're gonna switch to separate lobbies for each class. The whole-up mixed class racing looks good on paper and real life where you can have 30+ cars on the same track but in a tech-limited game is not that much fun, plus we can get rid of the "500s finishing way ahead of 300s" problem, have a faster race start procedure (no more drivers being promoted to D1 etc) and maybe a better way to regulate hp/weight in the future. Just my 2cents.

I probably just forgot to put Afrikan_Kat in the rep listing, or forgot to take Wilhelm out - either or - it's not really intentional, I did the tables :P

Also yeah I think those who competed even if they get zero points should be on the table with zero points. I don't know if it will always be me doing the results/standings tables, but will make sure of that in future 👍

Also - DS3 tyre scrubbing issue sounds weird. I will use it to claim a disadvantage in that we can't heat our tyres up properly >_> - therefore my off at turn 1 this week was completely not my fault, yep. Yyyyep. I don't really understand the issue though, at Suzuka I was one of the hardest on my front tyres and I use a DS3, but the "bug" should prove the other way round.

Re: Mixed racing post above - we have half the races as mixed class, half the races as single class, so it keeps everyone happy 👍

I will try host a qualifying/practice room tonight, ive got a week off work so i should be around but the miss has got me doing aload of crap :scared: lol

Hopefully see you guys later on 👍

Plus if theres enough of us we can do a few races etc :)

I will try host a qualifying/practice room tonight, ive got a week off work so i should be around but the miss has got me doing aload of crap :scared: lol

Hopefully see you guys later on 👍

Plus if theres enough of us we can do a few races etc :)

Sounds great! 👍

I (Denilson) have a lot of work this week, and I think I need to set my lap within 2 hours from now.. Anyone wanna join/Watch/Spectate?

Roomnumber: 1472-6118-3658-4758-9631

Last edited:
Dunno yet! Not done a single lap, too busy, but need to qualify tonight as I'm busy Wednesday - might be a bit hectic. Just hoping for a clean lap tbh.

I should have a qualiy up tomorrow aswell if u need more practice

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give the race a miss this week, I'm gonna be too busy with work. I will see you all at Monaco next week

Btw - why is it called the 'French GT'?? ;-)

Last edited:
I don't really understand the issue though, at Suzuka I was one of the hardest on my front tyres and I use a DS3, but the "bug" should prove the other way round.

There are other things that affect front tire wear like brake balance how hard you brake. The issue I'm talking about is that all other things being equal, the DS3 will always be easier on front tire wear because the software doesn't allow the DS3 to scrub front tires as it limits the turning angle to a "perfect angle" whereas the DFGT lets you turn the front wheels without limit.

Is qualifying gonna take place today? And where's the room number going to be posted?

Is the room up?
Sorry to keep asking but I only have 20 minutes to before I have to go.

Ok, I'm at 1.30:516 if anyone cares...
I have to get going now, so it looks like I won't be making this race...

sorry guys ive been playing football, room will be up in a sec

LIVE QUALIYFING/PRACTICE

1472 - 6118 - 3658 - 4759 - 2368

On mah way. Need to get my lap done tonight.

Senninha, you better be joking about saying you think you're slow at Seca, I can only just match your laptime when pushing on the limit :P - no way I will be doing that sort of laptime in the race, too much to risk.

sorry guys ive been playing football, room will be up in a sec

LIVE QUALIYFING/PRACTICE

1472 - 6118 - 3658 - 4759 - 2368

Ok... What can I do? I'm not home and won't be for another 6-7 hrs. When can I qualify?

Jav
Ok... What can I do? I'm not home and won't be for another 6-7 hrs. When can I qualify?

Any one of the available stewards can qualify you. Just see who's on when you're on.

I'll be at work in 7 hours but I'll be back around 3AM EST.

Btw, you guys can view the spreadsheet we'll be using to input times at this link: click

Phew, quali done, 1:26.457 - wanted a laptime about 2 tenths faster than that, but I think it's a quick enough lap time, it's really difficult to get a perfect lap around Laguna Seca. Good luck to the other qualifiers, happy mines out of the way :P

That's a good time Andil! 👍

Anyone else doing quali, or is it just practice for most of them?

Any hints on the times for GT500's?

Any one of the available stewards can qualify you. Just see who's on when you're on.

I'll be at work in 7 hours but I'll be back around 3AM EST.

Btw, you guys can view the spreadsheet we'll be using to input times at this link: click
Cool! I hope we can do this before the deadline! Looks like I have some setup homework to do!

im doing high 23s at mo but its a BI*CH to drive lol i think with good setup i could do 22s. very good drivers could get into the 21s maybe

I'd say high 21s will be a luxurious time. I see 22s being the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back