::::: World Super GT Championship | Round 3 | French GT (SIGN-UP NOW!) :::::

• Thread starter Masi_23
  • 285 comments
Haha, that was an awesome moment, I couldn't believe it worked. Sorry for the lap before, I was trying hard to make a quick pass on the fresh tyres so I was quite aggressive, but no contact (well, I think I was sat on your bumper through the tunnel but y'know :P) - thought Neo was doing a 1-stopper so coming out of the pits behind you two was the worst thing for me - till he came out behind you guys too, woo.

I was going to do a 1-stopper on the basis that I'd need to try something fancy to have a shot at beating you. But then I was keeping up with you when you pitted so I saw no reason not to play it safe and follow you for most of the race and then make my move in the final laps, when your tyres would be rooted and mine would still be OK.

Of course, other things happened to prevent that, but the plan was sound. It's so impossible to make a decent pass at that track, especially if the two guys in front of you are dedicated to running up the sides of each other and sliding around on their worn tyres.

What a horrible frustrating track that is, how they race formula one there in real life is beyond me.

Anyway about the race.
I had a pretty good start from last place and i made a good few places up in the first 5 laps and was catching chorda and that group.
I started thinking i could finish 3rd or 4th here and then i hit a wall while pushing hard and destroyed my back wheel.
So had to pit for damage repairs :(
Got repaired and after many laps eventually caught up to Paginas again, i think we were close to Chorda's group again and i was thinking i could make one more stop for the race and keep with these guys and then bam i smashed straight into the back of Paginas ( Sorry man, you braked very early for me, i was still accelerating, My fault tho )
Had to pit again for damage.

The tyres i got in that stop didn't last till the end of the race, so i had to make a tyre stop before the end and finish 7th.

Good race to all there.

I was going to do a 1-stopper on the basis that I'd need to try something fancy to have a shot at beating you. But then I was keeping up with you when you pitted so I saw no reason not to play it safe and follow you for most of the race and then make my move in the final laps, when your tyres would be rooted and mine would still be OK.

Yeah fair enough man, it probably would have worked too - I had no way to defend against you at the end of the first stint.

Was i the only one to struggle in the cold tires?? :ill:
In first lap my car was all over the place, and by lap 2 there was nothing i could do to keep Steel behind me. My car eventually became better and i started to catch up.
I couldn't pass him in this track though. And when i see him pit i went for a 1 stop strategy.
The top guys exited pits right behind me and Atlas who had catch up to me by now. Then a power move from Atlas and Moleman. That :scared: the hell out of me.
I was behind Atlas so i decided to pit 1 lap earlyer than the middle of the race, and he pited a lap earlyer.
That work out fine as i was leading him with a small margin after his pit stop.
I was behind Hortus and was a little agressive in trying to pass. I think it was fair though. I just couldn't afford to loose more time, and i had better tires.
After Steel pited i was in 2nd, and made a mistake in the 3rd chicane and bumped the wall giving me light damage on my front wheel.
I tryed to drive as fast as i could but Steel eventually caught up and overtook me.

All in all a good race, more enjoyable than i would expect. 👍

Another awesome race in the first laps 👍 Wardez, was so close all the time, while I was in 2nd place, and at lap 6 he finally pressured me enough to make a mistake, hitting the wall after the left hander at the swimming pool :P great job man 👍 hehe. Had to pit, and else from there I was having a hard time saving on my tyres for fewer pitstops - But its beyond me how to do that :(.

The last 10 laps, I was hunting Paginas, getting closer every sector, and caught up with him the last 5 laps, but struggled to get passed, even though he was slower (I guess worn down tires?), sorry for the small bumps, Paginas!

Would say I lost two positions because of my weakness of worn down tires to fast.

Great race, was intense and fun 👍

french%20gt%20-%203-12-11.png

Well, I'm not very happy with how the race turned out, but there's not really anyone to blame but myself and PD.

The race started well. Moleman pulled away to an early lead, and it looked for a bit like he might be running away with the race. But as his tyres wore down his lead stopped at about 7 seconds and I began to reel him in. When he pitted on lap 15 I was right up his chuff, and I was forced to consider my pitting strategy. I decided that the since I was keeping up with him the safe mood was just to mirror his pit stops and either wait for an accident on his part or try and take him on the final laps, where I should have the tyre advantage.

I pitted on lap 16, and came out just behind Moleman. And both of us were stuck behind Atlas and Kamykaze.

First rant at PD here: if their player listing on the side of the screen gave you splits to all the other players like every other game does, I could have seen that Moleman had gotten caught behind Atlas and Kamy and aborted the pit. Instead I assumed that they were reasonably close behind us, and that Moleman and I would have room to maneuver after the pit. Wrong.

Anyway, Moleman pulled off a spectacular passing move around the outside and started streaking off into the distance. Atlas and Kamy were fighting each other hard, and I didn't really want to break it up for them. Since I was on fresh tyres, I was hoping that they'd realise it was ultimately a lost cause trying to fight me and let me go chase after Moleman.

Unfortunately not. After a lap behind them it was pretty clear that I wasn't going to get any concessions. The horrible thing is that the Celica is quicker through the corners, but slower in a straight line than the Garaiya. Altas led in the Celica, doing a good job of running smoothly. Kamy was chasing him down, but because both Kamy and I had the draft and he had a faster car I couldn't get him on the straights. And didn't want to divebomb him in case he didn't see it coming and made a move of his own on Atlas at the same time.

I figured about the only thing I could do was stick on the back of him and try and wait for a mistake. I was on fresh tyres, so it would be easy and safe for me to keep close to the tail happy Garaiya, and hopefully I'd be in position to nip past if he clipped a wall.

However, as with all things, the universe decided it was not to be. On lap 18 a lag spike struck and threw Kamy's car back into mine. He never saw a thing on his screen, and it's no fault of his. But my car had severe engine and suspension damage. Two laps into my fresh set of tyres I was forced to pit for damage.

I was pretty pissed off at this point. I was frustrated that Atlas and Kamy had held me up (as is their right, but mid-race you rarely think rationally about these things), and that I'd gotten smashed by a stupid lag spike. I came out behind Scanny_Flick, but in my preoccupation with feeling sorry for myself I forgot that I was on cold tyres again and spun it at the first corner by using too much gas.

Major engine damage again, on lap 20.

One slow lap and one more pit stop later, and I was dead last. A few deep breaths as I drove round helped, and there's something about being last that's calming. Everything is up, and obviously catching the frontrunners was completely out of the question for me. It was simply a matter of trying to finish the race and claw back as many points as possible.

The rest of the race was pretty unexciting. I didn't drive particularly fast, because I'd lost pretty much all confidence in myself and the car. I took one more stop about lap 32, and just managed to get past Hortus in the last few laps to take 5th.

Not a terrible result for a race that involved 4 pit stops, but frustrating nonetheless. It's tough not to try and second guess some of the decisions during the race. I think the call to pit with Moleman was correct given the information I had, even though in hindsight I might have avoided a lot of trouble by running longer. Tailgating Kamy was a probably a mistake, given that I know that GT5 has serious issues with it's netcode. I knew I was opening myself up to lag by being that close to him, but I was so captivated by the thought of catching Moleman that I dismissed it. The correct choice was probably to hang back a bit, wait for a mistake to get past Kamy and Atlas and focus on finishing in second.

Sorry for the wall of text, hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes and avoid having a demoralising race like that.

I only saw 8 drivers in my race, lol. I guess I had NAT3.

I'm pretty pleased with that result. I was extremely slow, but I managed to stay away from damage* and only did two pit stops.

* I hit the walls quite a few times, but I was lucky and didn't receive any damage.

I only saw 8 drivers in my race, lol. I guess I had NAT3.

I'm pretty pleased with that result. I was extremely slow, but I managed to stay away from damage* and only did two pit stops.

* I hit the walls quite a few times, but I was lucky and didn't receive any damage.

LOL ive just been watching the replay, you and monoha must of not seen each other has you were constantly crashing into each other LOL

Congrats to JP on the win. I had a bump with him right at the start that forced me to fight my way through lots of traffic to get 2nd. Happy with that result. I loved fighting traffic through Monaco. Monoha put up a really good challenge 👍

At one point of the race I finally had clear track on new tires and managed a 1:31.515. It's freaking hot as hell in my room right now so I'm gonna recover from the race Kimi style and take a nap.

I must admit that my start was kind of sketchy (First time i am in pole), i was wondering why people was not "following" since the correct speed is 90km/h and we have to be in a tight cluster.. so I lunched from a 70km/h and was more preoccupied by my mirrors to see what was going behind then in the front.

Finnally when i reconnected with the track i overeacted, and breaked early. (I could have taken that first corner much quicker). Anyway the bump was minimal and my damage was berely perceptible. (I hope yours was too)

For about 30 lap after that, I have been alone, taking care of my tyres, and staying away from the walls, I went about 4 or 5 time total for the fastest lap (after first and second pit) but 1.31.5 is very fast !! Good job wardez

I would also like to thank every one who let me pass when i was a lap ahead !! that is much appreciated ! Specially that every pass on this track is risky !

That was a lot of fun and looking forward to race on the nurburgring, an other very interresting track !

P.S. I hope you guys will be able to decipher this message.. my grammar is terrible..

JP

LOL ive just been watching the replay, you and monoha must of not seen each other has you were constantly crashing into each other LOL

Hehe, we were ghost to eachother, so was all cool. Must have been strange to watch us :P

The horrible thing is that the Celica is quicker through the corners, but slower in a straight line than the Garaiya.
Roger that, it makes passing very difficult for us in the CELICA.

On lap 18 a lag spike struck and threw Kamy's car back into mine. He never saw a thing on his screen, and it's no fault of his. But my car had severe engine and suspension damage.

I was wondering what happened to you Imari, watched the replay twice and can confirm that on my screen your car never hit Kamy and wasn't showing any damage. On the other hand I see Sloth driving pretty much the whole race with heavy engine damage in my replay :confused:. It is painfully obvious that PD still hasn't figured out online play. Unreal Tournament had far superior online play back in 1999. That said, I lucked out and wasn't affected by lag in this race.

Back