World War 3

Most logical current route to global war.

Hillary Clinton gets elected and implements a no fly zone in Syria.
Putin laughs and defies it.
US shoots down a Russian mig.
Russia deploys full capability to Syria to remove no fly zone.
Unplausible you say?
My greatest fear involving a global war would be the current Russia China alliance against NATO.
The PLA is highly underrated with ground troops alone exceeding 2.5 million.
If WW3 were to occur we are looking at US/NATO vs Russia, China, Iran, Syria, N Korea.
It would absolutely be nuclear, loss of life in the tens of millions.

XXI

It really is, they might not be the most well equipped army in the world but you can't argue with the sheer number of troops. That many people even armed with pillows could be deadly! However I think China only wants to secure the South China sea and has little ambition for global domination!

Now, places like Poland have a powerful military, sweden, etc are off limits because they will fight back and it would be ugly as heck

Swedens military defense service employs a mere 20,000 people, of which only 14,000 are on active duty as officers/soldiers/navy. The remaining people are civilians. There has been downsizing going on for years.

Our newspapers often like to mention that if we were to be invaded it would take everything from ten days up to two years to get the military fully mobilised. And that we have a defense that would only last for one hour up to seven days at the most.

It would be ugly as heck, yes, but Sweden probably wouldn't be able to fight back as well as you seem to think.

Our newspapers often like to mention that if we were to be invaded it would take everything from ten days up to two years to get the military fully mobilised. And that we have a defense that would only last for one hour up to seven days at the most.

I live very close to a large MoD driving school and often spend time stuck behind their trucks.

This may be a matter of National Security but l can assure any potential invaders that to be successful they should arrive in vehicles that go faster than 40 miles an hour... and come at the weekend.

XXI
Most logical current route to global war.

Hillary Clinton gets elected and implements a no fly zone in Syria.
Putin laughs and defies it.
US shoots down a Russian mig.
Russia deploys full capability to Syria to remove no fly zone.
Unplausible you say?
My greatest fear involving a global war would be the current Russia China alliance against NATO.
If WW3 were to occur we are looking at US/NATO vs Russia, China, Iran, Syria, N Korea.
It would absolutely be nuclear, loss of life in the tens of millions.
Trump gets elected, pulls the US out of NATO, South Korea and Japan.

With a massively weakened NATO, Putin is able to continue to annex territory on his borders and expand Russia (Estonia, Finland and Poland would likely be the first). War erupts in Europe.

Using the chaos in Europe North Korea invades the South, spurred on by the success, China expands it's operations in the South China sea. Japan is powerless to stop this and becomes China's next target. War erupts in Asia.

Due to regional instability India and Pakistan tensions rise and escalate into a nuclear exchange. The resulting confusion sees other states go nuclear.

For the record the west and Russia has a track record of shooting each other day down (both military and civilian) without it escalating in the manner you describe.

However both times the US took an isolationist position in the last century lead to a world war.

Fun possibilities. :lol:

I see a couple of others, such as when we leave the EU, the EU could dissolve, Europe becomes the way it was for centuries beforehand and the fighting just spreads... you know, like the last two World Wars.

Or Trump gets elected, gives Saudi Arabia nukes, they "somehow" end up in the hands of terrorists.

Or the US installs several fascist dictators in the Middle East, arms many people including terrorist organisations and the aforementioned fascists, invades multiple countries in the region on flimsy reasoning at best, then uses Russia being involved as an excuse to resume the Cold War mentality Oops, that one already happened, we just need to wait for it to erupt into a bigger war. :D

Trump gets elected, pulls the US out of NATO, South Korea and Japan.

With a massively weakened NATO, Putin is able to continue to annex territory on his borders and expand Russia (Estonia, Finland and Poland would likely be the first). War erupts in Europe.

Using the chaos in Europe North Korea invades the South, spurred on by the success, China expands it's operations in the South China sea. Japan is powerless to stop this and becomes China's next target. War erupts in Asia.

Due to regional instability India and Pakistan tensions rise and escalate into a nuclear exchange. The resulting confusion sees other states go nuclear.

For the record the west and Russia has a track record of shooting each other day down (both military and civilian) without it escalating in the manner you describe.

However both times the US took an isolationist position in the last century lead to a world war.
I especially agree with N Korea moving on the south the moment a distraction occurs abroad.
I don't care to see any more. I've done two full tours in Iraq shortly after 9/11. I enjoyed Kuwait, what a fascinating place that was.
So long as there's resources to fight over, there will be conflict. I just hope my family is dead and long gone before nuclear war occurs.

They say Nostradamus predicted World War 3 to start on 22nd or 31st January.

I hope it's all BS, I wanna live to play GT SPORT.

While Nostradamus is interesting enough to read, there's no way he was able to predict the future. It's all a confirmation bias, something happens then people go back and look at what he wrote and tie it to an event. I could write anything and given enough time it will probably be true if you bend and stretch it enough to make it fit.

A solar flare or supernova could yield effects similar to a nuclear war, the dreaded EMP (electromagnetic pulse).
On July 9, 1962, the US launched a Thor missile from Johnston island, an atoll about 1500 kilometers (900 miles) southwest of Hawaii. The missile arced up to a height of over 1100 km (660 miles), then came back down. At the preprogrammed height of 400 km (240 miles), just seconds after 09:00 UTC, the 1.4 megaton nuclear warhead detonated.

And all hell broke loose.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/b...e-the-nuke-that-shook-the-world/#.WJSBuxiZNBw

In 2013 Homeland Security Director Janet Napolitano warned that an "unprecedented natural disaster" was likely on its way.

January, 2016, Astronomical Journal publishes evidence for a distant giant planet in our solar system.
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/0004-6256/151/2/22/meta

October, 2016, President Obama issued an executive order coordinating efforts to prepare the nation for "spaceweather" events, specifically including a geomagnetic disturbances that would destroy of disable the national electric grid.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...g-efforts-prepare-nation-space-weather-events

A solar flare or supernova could yield effects similar to a nuclear war, the dreaded EMP (electromagnetic pulse).
On July 9, 1962, the US launched a Thor missile from Johnston island, an atoll about 1500 kilometers (900 miles) southwest of Hawaii. The missile arced up to a height of over 1100 km (660 miles), then came back down. At the preprogrammed height of 400 km (240 miles), just seconds after 09:00 UTC, the 1.4 megaton nuclear warhead detonated.

And all hell broke loose.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/b...e-the-nuke-that-shook-the-world/#.WJSBuxiZNBw

In 2013 Homeland Security Director Janet Napolitano warned that an "unprecedented natural disaster" was likely on its way.

January, 2016, Astronomical Journal publishes evidence for a distant giant planet in our solar system.
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/0004-6256/151/2/22/meta

October, 2016, President Obama issued an executive order coordinating efforts to prepare the nation for "spaceweather" events, specifically including a geomagnetic disturbances that would destroy of disable the national electric grid.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...g-efforts-prepare-nation-space-weather-events

What does this have to do with WW3?

:confused:

One is an intentional act of violence, the other is nature's wrath.
Yet, to the victims, they are indistinguishable. And in the aftermath of a natural disaster of sufficient magnitude, local, regional and global conflict could ensue.

If we wish to focus on an immediate act of intentional violence, we need look no further than the threats issued by Trump against Iran.
http://www.wnd.com/2017/02/the-coming-clash-with-iran/

Last edited:
What is the difference between WW3 and an event which reproduces the same effects?

One is an intentional act of violence, the other is nature's wrath.

Yet, to the victims, they are indistinguishable. And in the aftermath of a natural disaster of sufficient magnitude, local, regional and global conflict could ensue.

If we wish to focus on an immediate act of intentional violence, we need look no further than the threats issued by Trump against Iran.
http://www.wnd.com/2017/02/the-coming-clash-with-iran/

If we want to talk about doomsday scenarios (not just WW3) - and let's be honest, who doesn't - it would go in some sort of apocalypse thread.

Well, I ain't serving.

You and those who agree, better hope a draft never comes about then, @R1600Turbo is too old for active duty so he wont have to worry.

EDIT: never mind forgot the airfoce raised the age cut off from late 20s to late 30s and so did other all but the Marines I think.

You and those who agree, better hope a draft never comes about then, @R1600Turbo is too old for active duty so he wont have to worry.

EDIT: never mind forgot the airfoce raised the age cut off from late 20s to late 30s and so did other all but the Marines I think.
I can't serve anyways, I technically have a disability.

I have my reasons but not going to hash them out on here.
I can't serve anyways, I technically have a disability.
My health isn't the greatest either, so who knows.

Does obesity count as a disability? America might be doomed then.
I'm 5'6" 150lbs and actually currently attempting to lose about 10-15. I also have back and foot issues, and bad vision. Not sure I would be of any good, even if I wanted in. :P

I have my reasons but not going to hash them out on here.

I never said anything bad about it, I saw you liked a post about an adamant individual who wont serve, which is in their right. Thus seemed like you too shared that ideal. However if a draft were enacted again...good luck with that ideal.

Back