Your Opinions on the H-Shifter/Clutch Changes

Do you like or dislike the changes to the H-Shifter/Clutch combo?

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Dislike

Votes: 83 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lol H-shifter owners are crying because their advantage over ds4 players has gone.

LMAO. :lol::lol::lol:

Hoo boy, knew something like this was coming.

This isn’t about having an advantage over DS4 users at all. The majority of people here actually support having H-Shifter/Clutch nerfed in Sport mode (or making sequential gearing default for every car in Sport mode.)

What’s annoying us the most is that this issue affects every single mode entirely. It’s not fun having this artificial limitiation placed upon people who just want a pure driving experience.

I didn’t buy my TH8A purely to have an advantage over pad users. I just wanted to hone my skills and have fun.

Lol H-shifter owners are crying because their advantage over ds4 players has gone.

I agree it needed to be balanced a bit better, but completely nerfing the H-shifter into the ground isn't the way to do it, especially since it's already the most difficult way to shift. They could have just made the shift times on the DS4/Paddles a little quicker for in-game cars that have a manual transmission irl.

Last edited:

We just want it to be realistic and be able to drive like we do in real life. All they needed to do was make the paddles/DS4 shifts a little faster in cars who had manual transmissions in real life. It takes skill to drive an H-pattern fast - especially downshifting using Heel/Toe, whereas a DS4/paddle user just has to press a single button.

Disappointing solution to the problem. As others have said make sequential shifting quicker. Personally when I use it it's for more immersion but never thought I was quicker with it. To begin with you're driving with one hand half the time and GTS was bad for missing changes before and getting neutral, now it's everytime you don't let the rpm get to 5k. Not sure if gearing matters but the change in the new Lambo from 2nd to 3rd was doing my head in. :banghead: Hopefully they fix it soon.

I’m curious to ask the people who say they like the changes in the poll... Why? Haven’t heard anyone from that side give their opinion yet. :boggled:

My guess is they haven't driven a manual car in real life before, so they don't really know how **** GT's implementation of the clutch + h-shifter really is.

Last edited:

I use paddle shift in sports mode, so that doesn't work as an argument. I would just quite like it to work as it should, after all every other sim used in eSports has managed to get this right, so its not a great ask for PD to either do the same or make sequential mandatory in sport mode.

Oh and you might want to look at how you post, less you get considered a dick.

Downshift like Ayrton Senna, up shift like a damn dump truck.

I sure do hope PD watches this forum for stuff like this because this h-pattern "fix" is pathetic. All they had to do was take it away in sport mode and job done, pat yourselves on the back for making it more fun.

But nope. That 50-200 dollar h-pattern? Throw it in the trash.

I am using a fanatec setup, with this update i have to hold the clutch for a second before i can shift. As the clutch pedal works like a controller button in this game, i will set my 100% input strength for the pedal to somewhere between 50 to 75% via fanatec software on pc. Maybe i can create a smoother transition this way.

but would have rather had them adjust the speed of paddle shifters up rather than slow the h pattern down

What’s annoying us the most is that this issue affects every single mode entirely. It’s not fun having this artificial limitiation placed upon people who just want a pure driving experience.

I didn’t buy my TH8A purely to have an advantage over pad users. I just wanted to hone my skills and have fun.

Back up PD and make a U turn, you're going the wrong way!

Ok, it didnt work. Even if i set the max strength of the pedal to 10% i have to hold it down to shift. I remember, back in 2008 the driving instructor of the gt academy in silverstone warned all the drivers grinding the clutch too much damages the transmission. Sadly i coudnt find the video series anymore. PD should not allow racing between cars with different gear types anymore. like in real life. :rolleyes:

Why restrict the changes just to Sport Mode?

Why so the advantage can still be had in online lobbies and Time Trials?

Boo hoo you hate granny shifting, so does everybody else even more so the guy in the same car who has to granny shift while yous take advantage of an uneven playing field.

No sympathies, cry me a river, lets keep it fair and I dont care about people upset they lost their cheesy advantage.....

Is sequential shifting quite slow? Not sure what to think about that idea, honestly.

Only in road cars, like the Ferrari F50 and Toyota 86 (probably lots more but those two come up in sport mode frequently) Sequential shifting the cars seem the blip on the accelerator before it actually puts the power down. Where the H pattern you could skip that moment and engage the next gear straight away.

It was worth around half a second per lap when H patter shifting. So while Im happy they are looking at fixing the problem, I don't think they have gone the right way about it.

For the record, I don't own a shifter.

Boo hoo you hate granny shifting, so does everybody else even more so the guy in the same car who has to granny shift while yous take advantage of an uneven playing field.

No sympathies, cry me a river, lets keep it fair and I dont care about people upset they lost their cheesy advantage.....

Yes, you're right - everybody hates granny shifting. The granny shifting was occuring for those that were using paddle shifters/DS4 on cars that had H-pattern shifters IRL. The simple solution would be to make paddle shifts/DS4 shift faster when using those cars, then the H-pattern users wouldn't have an advantage. Now all of us have to granny shift, which is obviously silly and unnecessary.

As it is and was, paddle shift/DS4 users had the advantage when it came to downshifting. You can left foot brake, keep both hands on the wheel, and simply press a button. H-pattern users have to take a hand off the wheel while diving into a turn, and use 2 feet to operate 3 pedals at the same time - that took practice and skill to do properly, and even when done properly - it was still slower than left foot braking and pressing a button.

When I go to arcade mode time trials, I'm competing against myself, and am (was) having a blast driving cars with native H-pattern shifters and running through the gears and heel/toeing - trying to get faster and faster and having lots of fun doing it. Now I have to granny shift, and that sucks.

Well sure, I'll cry you river, but it shouldn't need to be that way. Just increase the speed of the shifts for those that don't have H-pattern shifters, and we'd all be happy.

So how much slower is GTS h pattern shifting now?

It's three times slower to shift in GTS than in AC, and here's what that looks like.

People using a h pattern shifter and using it correctly didn't have an abvantage.

Some people had an advantage due to a glitch of PDs own making and all this has done is further ruin an already unrealistic part of the title, and make H pattern shifting utterly pointless.

Better ways of fixing this exist, PD have taken a wrong route with this, and puerile gloating about it isn't the way to support a community.

Assetto Corsa already has the model GTS could use, it has an option that needs to be enabled to use a H pattern. Once you do that in cars that have a H pattern it forces you to use it, locking out paddle shifters and any other buttons mapped as gear shift. Job done.

Last edited:
Im not really gloating. Yeah its been a tired old glitch that not everybody abused but enough do. In this platform of accessible to all in an attempt for as much of a level playing field as possible its more important to be fair for all than to please a few giving some an unfair advantage.

The issue now is not about a glitch some can take advantage of others cannot, but instead about the granny shifting everybody has to deal with that is rather odd. Like how long it takes for the 86 to shift gears is crazy, its now an issue for everybody tho and that's more fair than its been as a glitch allowed only some to bypass the granny shifters now we all deal with it until PD fixes how slow the shifts are :D

Still can't seem to get an answer.

Does anyone else just shift clutchlessly wiht their H shifter?
If so - has the new update made any difference to you? Do upshifts actually take longer?

Still can't seem to get an answer.

Does anyone else just shift clutchlessly wiht their H shifter?
If so - has the new update made any difference to you? Do upshifts actually take longer?
How do you do it without the clutch? I noticed I could in the group 3 ford gt and McLaren F1, but how can you use H shifter without clutch on road cars?

I’m curious to ask the people who say they like the changes in the poll... Why? Haven’t heard anyone from that side give their opinion yet. :boggled:

Maybe they don't have a shifter so are just happy that those who do can no longer gain any advantage over them, regardless of whether this is actually a good or even fair change or the correct way of going about levelling the playing field, something that even shifter users would concede needed doing, just not like this.

Personally I don't have a shifter, so this change doesn't affect me negatively, only positively, so I could easily vote yes in the poll but I will not vote because I believe it wouldn't be the correct thing to do but others will do as they please and vote on how it affects them, whilst not giving a stuff about anyone else.

How do you do it without the clutch? I noticed I could in the group 3 ford gt and McLaren F1, but how can you use H shifter without clutch on road cars?

Just don't use the clutch. Pretend its not there. Just shift. I've played like this for many months. Works perfectly on every car.

Would prefer a proper clutch 'cos thats part of driving for me, but given the cruddy binary implementation (on/off) in GT Sport, I just don't use it.

Hopefully this new update won't have affected clutchless....will try tonight

Just don't use the clutch. Pretend its not there. Just shift. I've played like this for many months. Works perfectly on every car.

Would prefer a proper clutch 'cos thats part of driving for me, but given the cruddy binary implementation (on/off) in GT Sport, I just don't use it.

Hopefully this new update won't have affected clutchless....will try tonight
Oh I see... Yeah I guess thats the only way we can half feel imerssed now using a gear stick! Will try it tonight too... Really hope they just re work the entire system though in the future, GT7 maybe...

What I personally find even worse is, that as a DS4 user I'm not able to use the real manual shifting with clutch and shifter. I mean, in PC for example I use the R Stick down for clutch and so I can shift like real (R2 for Throttle, L2 Brake, R Stick down Clutch, Circle Button shift up, R1 button shift down) - even with throttle blips like heel and toe technique provides is possible with this.

A shame I can't do this in GTS

Last edited:
Back