The New GTPlanet Scavenger Hunt...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,038 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about cheap/expensive categories.

Due to regional differences, a European is more likely to win an expensive category and an American is more likely to win a cheap category, even when both post the same car, since cars in Europe are about 60% more expensive and the dollar is standing at about 0.50c against the pound.

To avoid the confusion of conversions, I'd like to propose a new system, and a new currency - the GAP.

The idea is to compare car prices against their peers, rather than in several different economies. We select a car which is sold everywhere and compare our car's list price to that car.

For my example, I've selected a standard 3-door Volkswagen Golf MkV GTi which is $22,220 (list) in the USA and £20,607 (list) in the UK. Thus 1GAP = $22,220USD = £20,607UKP.

Example:
BMW Z4 M Roadster
UK: £42,245 (~$85,000)
US: $50,100
Golf Adjusted Price
UK: 2.05GAP
US: 2.25GAP

Toyota Yaris 3 door
UK: £8,810 (~$17,000)
US: $11,300
Golf Adjusted Price
UK: 0.43GAP
US: 0.51GAP

It makes things a lot closer and partially removes the problem that a UK-model Ford Focus (the ST) is effectively more expensive than a US-model BMW Z4 M Coupe - and gives the American spotters a chance in the cheap-car sections and the EU spotters a chance in the expensive-car sections.

Thoughts?

I completely forgot to post what the Sidewalk edition Cooper looks like. There is a badge on it as well underneath the wind mirror as well. The car comes in this silver colour, black, white, and BRG.

minicabrio1321024x768xq5.jpg

I'm assuming the Sidewalk version is available in Europe... but is it?

Famine: Is there an Euro conversion in that GAP method?

According to the Mini website it is available just about everywhere.

I can confirm the UK, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Canada and the US. I tried to think of where everyone was from, although I would almost assume if the Mini Cooper S Convertible Sidewalk is a worldwide model, but I don't know for sure.

But if you can't find one of those, you can still get a normal Cooper S convertible for a point.

And Famine I do like the system, I think it will make it more fair for everyone and I think we could easily convert the system into the Australian Dollar, Canadian Dollar, and the Euro.

I'm assuming the Sidewalk version is available in Europe... but is it?

There's availability in the UK, apparently.

Famine: Is there an Euro conversion in that GAP method?

It'd have to be country-by-country.

Germany: 1GAP = 25,650EUR
France: 1GAP = 26,650EUR
Spain: 1GAP = 27,990EUR

Here is the up to date leaderboard for you....God I love my job.

1. M5Power 31pt
2. Joey D 26pt
3. Famine 18pt
4. Diego 17pt
5. Gashlycrumb 13pt
6. Slicks 9pt
7. YSSMAN 8pt
8. Bubble Bunny 7pt
= Casio 7pt
10. SammiTougeGirl 5pts.
= Ferrari_Chris 5pt
12. G.T 4pt
= daan 4pt
13. Keef 3pt.
15. BennyR 2pt
= chaser_fan 2pt
= Toronado 2pt
= GV 2pt
19. Gingiba 1pt
= Roo 1pt

Oh Lord! Joey is gaining!

Time to walk away with this week's categories while he can't play... :D

Ferrari599.jpg

Most Expensive Improperly parked car. Crooked for such an easy spot to park in

LandRover.jpg

Slowest white car. Defender. About 16 seconds to 60

Deadline is tomorrow, I'll judge them tomorrow night or even wait till Saturday morning depending on where I have to go for a dig.

Cheapest Car With HID's: Most of the time HID's are sold on high end sports cars and luxury model, show me some cars that are neither.

I figure this is about as far from a high-end sports or luxury car:

You can pick up a 1996 model like this for between NZ$500 - $5000 depending on Kms.

This Ain't No Chelsea Tractor: Most expensive SUV being used like an SUV should, i.e. really muddy, towing a trailer, stuff on the roof rack, 7 kids packed in there, etc. Something other then one little mom taking her one son to football practice.

I presume this isn't classed as a Chelsea Tractor? :)

Terrano towing a trailer:
Toyota Prado driving along a beach to go fishing:
Most Expensive Improperly Parked Car: The car that cost the most and isn't parked correctly...I bet it will be a Porsche.

M-B S63 (NZ$330,000) parked on yellow lines and in a clearway lane.

Slowest White Car: 0-60, I tried to think of a generic category that many could enter. I'm hoping someone spots an old school Ford Bronco.

Daihatsu Mira 1.0 0-100kph 15.9secs

The GAP rating won't be introduced this week - I proposed it after the start of the week and not enough people (as in "more than one") have passed their opinion over it. Unless Joey wants to have it included this week.

And I think you got it a little wrong. The value of 1.00GAP is the value of the Golf MkV GTi in your country. It seems to be 33,700NZD, so your S63 AMG is 330,000/33,700NZD = 9.79GAP. Or it would be if GAPs existed this week.

Incidentally, I hope we're not including commercials (like Diego's Opel Vivaro panel van from several weeks back) in the slowest white car category...

Not to worry, I'm not taking part this week. Work has been a bee-yatch and I kept waiting for a white Aixam to pass by...

Not to worry, I'm not taking part this week. Work has been a bee-yatch and I kept waiting for a white Aixam to pass by...

That'll take some time. I've seen three, and they were all blue.

I've got a bunch of white commercial vehicles, but I can't be bothered trying to find their performance since it's not very well published. I can beat that Landy though :D

Incidentally, my categories are:
1. Brown Sound
Find me the quickest (0-60mph) BROWN car. Yes, BROWN, the colour of choice in the 1970s, to be found on all true performance vehicles.
2. Invasion of the Segment Snatchers
I'd like to see cars and their successors - when a car has done so badly in a market sector that the manufacturer has decided to change the name for the next model. Only successive cars count (Ford Cortina, Ford Sierra, Ford Mondeo counts; Ford Cortina, Ford Mondeo does not) - 1pt per model and double points for each photograph with more than one model in it.
3. Push-me-pull-ya
The strangest tow vehicle you can find - and it has to be hooked up to a trailer of some description at the time. You know the ones I mean - you see SUVs/4x4s towing stuff all the time, but a Veyron pulling a boat... That's a win.
4. Daughter of -Diego-
I want any car that has ever been in a Gran Turismo game. Ever. You get 1 mark per model - trim levels are irrelevant beyond the fact that the vehicle must be of a trim which has been in GT. So if you R33 GT-R, R33 GTSt and R33 GTSM, you get ONE mark. If you spot a Focus 1.6, you do not. If in doubt, ask the adjudicator... Winner is the one with the most marks...
Bonus: Aston Martin DB9 - 1pt only, no matter how many...

Shocking Twist: Extra points are available for any car which crosses a category - you get 2 points for a car in 2 categories (excluding the bonus), 3 for one in 3 and 4 for one in 4. TEN points if you get one which crosses all four AND the bonus... So if you get a brown DB9 towing a caravan = win.

Well hopefully we will get some more people involved now since you can pretty much go out to any street in the world and find at least one car that was in a Gran Turismo game.

Well hopefully we will get some more people involved now since you can pretty much go out to any street in the world and find at least one car that was in a Gran Turismo game.

My thoughts exactly...

Segment question... the Mondeo was a succesor of the Scorpio, right?. So Scorpio + Mondeo = 1 point?

Sidewalk1.jpg

Sidewalk2.jpg

Can I have 1 point just for it being a Sidewalk, even though it isn't an S? Pretty please?

Segment question... the Mondeo was a succesor of the Scorpio, right?. So Scorpio + Mondeo = 1 point?

The Granada became the Scorpio, and the Scorpio died without a successor - Ford Europe haven't had an Executive car since the Mk2 Scorpio (frog face).

The Mondeo succeeded the Sierra, which succeeded the Cortina.

Note: They don't all have to be in the same shot, but any chain which has two or more cars in the same shot gets double marks for those cars.

I do wonder how high the points can get with category two and four. I know I've already stumbled across quite a few cars just on my two drives this morning...

I do wonder how high the points can get with category two and four. I know I've already stumbled across quite a few cars just on my two drives this morning...

Well... marks, rather than points. You won't get 400 points for 400 GT cars - but you may well win the category and get 1 point.

Oh damn... I was thinking of the possibility of being 500 points above Doug

Exactly - it wouldn't be fair on him (or me, for that matter, since I can't play with these categories) to suddenly find himself a bajillion points down on the basis of one freak week in 25.

Anyone else got any thoughts on my "making-prices-fairer" idea?

Spots this week:

BONUS
scavenger-101207-2.jpg

scavenger-101207.jpg

SLOWEST WHITE CAR
scavenger-101007-2.jpg

scavenger-101007.jpg

Take your pick. I can't find a reliable 0-60 time for the diesel, which the first one is, but an old Car & Driver said it was 18-19sec. The second one is a 2500 and MAY be a diesel which may not even make it to 60.

SUV BEING USED
scavenger-100607-2.jpg

Out of state tags, loaded with kids and stuff... exactly how Toyota intended this Sequoia be used! A base SR5 Sequoia with 4-wheel drive, which this one has, runs $36600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back