The New GTPlanet Scavenger Hunt...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,038 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Categories

Cheapest Car With HID's: Most of the time HID's are sold on high end sports cars and luxury model, show me some cars that are neither.

This Ain't No Chelsea Tractor: Most expensive SUV being used like an SUV should, i.e. really muddy, towing a trailer, stuff on the roof rack, 7 kids packed in there, etc. Something other then one little mom taking her one son to football practice.

Most Expensive Improperly Parked Car: The car that cost the most and isn't parked correctly...I bet it will be a Porsche.

Slowest White Car: 0-60, I tried to think of a generic category that many could enter. I'm hoping someone spots an old school Ford Bronco.

Bonus
Mini Cooper S Convertible, two points if its the new Sidewalk edition.

Interesting dimensions you have for the Z3 there. What's your source? I only ask from curiousity, since you seem to have the very smallest possible dimensions from across the range - there is a Z3 which is 4,025mm long, and one which is 1,740mm wide, and one which is 1,270mm high, but I cannot find one which is all of the above. But then again, we never got the 2.5 either.

I used these specs, which are for the M Roadster, a vehicle that is wider than the normal Z3, just to allay all doubt. The actual specs are here and speak to the actual vehicle I saw; you'll note height is marginally increased but width has decreased by several inches. If you are seeing larger dimensions you are probably looking at the specs for the coupe or the M Coupe, which would have the largest dimensions of the range.

I used these specs, which are for the M Roadster, a vehicle that is wider than the normal Z3, just to allay all doubt. The actual specs are here and speak to the actual vehicle I saw; you'll note height is marginally increased but width has decreased by several inches. If you are seeing larger dimensions you are probably looking at the specs for the coupe or the M Coupe, which would have the largest dimensions of the range.

Nope - always roadsters...

Your dimensions:
Length: 4.02m
Width: 1.74m
Height: 1.27m

1.8 Roadster
Length: 4050 mm
Width: 1858 mm
Height: 1288 mm

2.0 Roadster
Height: 1293 mm

2.2 Roadster
Width: 1740 mm
Height: -

2.8 Roadster
Length: 4025 mm
Height: 1293 mm

3.2 Roadster
Length: 4025 mm
Width: 1850 mm
Height: 1273 mm

You'll note that the only car low enough for your quoted height is 10cm wider (the 3.2/M Roadster) than your quoted width.

However, as I say, we never got a 2.5 Z3 - though I know that one was made. So it's entirely possible that, with the bizarre variety of dimensions are quoted for the Z3 range, your dimensions do all slot together on that model.

Interesting, although you'll note than my dimensions are supported by both of the sites I quoted. Perhaps the differences come from the differing markets in which we live?

EDIT: this site backs up my original numbers too, give or take.

Interesting, although you'll note than my dimensions are supported by both of the sites I quoted.

Well... You're right to a level. The sites have dimensions for the Z3M Roadster - which is the lowest and shortest in the range - and "2dr Roadster".

Perhaps the differences come from the differing markets in which we live?

It's certainly possible - not least because you got the 2.5 and we didn't!

EDIT: this site backs up my original numbers too, give or take.

Conversion of those figures gives:
Length: 4,049mm (159.4")
Width: 1,740mm (68.5")
Height: 1,293mm (50.9")

Which gives, near as makes no odds and, ignoring Parkers' usual incompetance by forgetting its height, the dimensions of the 2.2 Roadster and 9.11m^3 - which is still smaller than the MX-3.

Incidentally, I should add that I saw, no more than 40 minutes ago, a genuine Cobra and didn't manage to photograph it due to being in very fast moving traffic at the time. Consequently I am VERY ANGRY INDEED... :lol:

Joey, the SUV, can it be one of those pick-up trucks/SUV models, like a quad-cab pickup thingie?

1) Most Expensive Driver's Education car
The car must have the Driver's Ed tags and all the signs on it... double steering wheels is a plus 👍

No-one else is bothered, so I'll hit this one:

scavhuntlearnerho3.jpg

A 52-plate FIAT Punto. Worth ~£7k (~$14k) new and about £2.5k ($5k) now.

2) Slowest"sports" car
Find a car with "sport" (or racing, or GT or something that denotes a speedy manner) in its name. 0-60 times.

scavhuntgt42lj3.jpg

A Range Rover Sport. The exhausts scream "I'm a V6", which equates to an 11.9s 0-60mph "sprint".

4) Smallest car with a 6-cylinder engine
Car may have a V6 engine, or an Inline-Six engine or a Boxer-6 engine. Any other configurations? As before, length x width x height = X

Oh, now this was fun... Let's see what I snagged:

scavhuntsmallv65ci6.jpg

scavhuntsmallv62lm6.jpg

scavhuntsmallv63ok3.jpg

scavhuntsmallv66ag3.jpg

scavhuntsmallv61ot0.jpg

In order of descending size... Audi A3 3.2 V6 (10.56m^3; 4.125m x 1.765m x 1.42m) Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 (10.05m^3; 4.285m x 1.78m x 1.318m); BMW Z4 2.5i SE (9.46m^3; 4.091m x 1.781m x 1.299m); Mazda MX-3 1.8i V6 (9.37m^3; 4.22m x 1.695m x 1.31m); BMW Z3 2.2i (9.11m^3; 4.05m x 1.74m x 1.293m)

Bonus car:
More trickyness from me:

I'm having a GT4 nostalgia. Gran Turismo 4 has many one-model marques. You will receive one point (and one point only) per model marque.

scavhuntsmallv64ih7.jpg
scavhuntgt42lj3.jpg

scavhuntgt44zg1.jpg

scavhuntgt43oo1.jpg

I have Triumph Spitfire, Range Rover Sport (the Range Stormer production model), SEAT Ibiza Cupra R and Mercury Cougar. W00t!

Here we go!

Slowest "Sports" Car

Pontiac G6 GT, 3.5L V6, 200-ish BHP, 0-60 times in the 8-second range

Smallest Car with V6

Chrysler P-Body, 4.3 X 1.7 X 1.3 = 9.5

I thought a RR Sport had to be orange, and the Cougar had to be the same generation?

you thought right. In the list I put down, I put the Cougar as the '67 model. And I also later said the RR Sport had to be orange.

I'll put up the points tomorrow, since I've just seen a movie (Hot Fuzz) and it's 11:15pm on a friday and I have no idea what I'm doing at home.

I thought a RR Sport had to be orange, and the Cougar had to be the same generation?

If you don't gosub a programme loop you'll never get a subroutine.

The Cougar's a '73 and is pure sex, so I thought I'd drop it in anyway. Have you any idea how ridiculous it is to see a '73 Cougar in the UK?

Cheapest Car With HID's: Most of the time HID's are sold on high end sports cars and luxury model, show me some cars that are neither.

HID's? Aren't they some sort of lights? How do you tell the difference (when they're off)?

I did Google and Wikipedia it - that's how I knew they were lights - but after that it didn't help.

Good categories 👍

They are typically projectored and they are blue or purplish in colour, I think the only way to really tell if they are on a car or not is to just look it up.

Example:

With HID's
2005_MCS_3.jpg

Without HID's
2007_mini_cooper.jpg

If you have any questions on whether a car has them or not just ask, I'll be happy to tell you.

Could be, search for pictures of the car at night and see if the lights look either really bright white or blue. If you want to ask you can send me a PM.

Is that a Mercedes? It's probably xenon (HID). Some cars have a projector lens on regular old halogen bulbs, though. Some cars have xenon bulbs that don't have a projector lens (like the 1st gen Escalade). The only way to tell those is when they have their bright blue headlights turned on.

Is that a Mercedes? It's probably xenon (HID). Some cars have a projector lens on regular old halogen bulbs, though. Some cars have xenon bulbs that don't have a projector lens (like the 1st gen Escalade). The only way to tell those is when they have their bright blue headlights turned on.

The owner's manual it calls them Xenons, so does that make them HIDs? I know they are $1200 to replace the whole unit :)

So, points are as follows:

1) Most Expensive Driver's Education car
Joey D's Chrysler... is that a 300M? Oh well, either way, it's more expensive than a Fiat Punto.

2) Slowest "sport" car
Famine's RR Sport, with 11.9 secs

3) Mercedes tuners.
:indiff:

M5Power's Z3, which despite the controversy, was given the thumbs up and qualifies. Famine posted the same one.

Bonus car:
Joey D x 1
Famine x 2

Final score:
Famine: 4 pts.
Joey D: 2 pts.
M5Power: 1 pt.

M5Power's Z3, which despite the controversy, was given the thumbs up and qualifies.

I also had a 6-pot Z3...

Cool thread, I'd like to participate when the next requirements are up :)

Edit: saw that the req's are up. I'll try to participate if/when I see some cars! I luckily park at a parking garage every day so I see plenty of cars :)

Edit 2: still confused as to which tasks are current.. could someone perhaps fill me in and help me get up to speed?

Cool thread, I'd like to participate when the next requirements are up :)

Edit: saw that the req's are up. I'll try to participate if/when I see some cars! I luckily park at a parking garage every day so I see plenty of cars :)

Edit 2: still confused as to which tasks are current.. could someone perhaps fill me in and help me get up to speed?

The current categories are those in post #1 underneath the heading:

Current Categories

With a caveat that, if I've been away for the weekend, they might not be - a further clue being the deadline:

Deadline: Friday 28th September 2007; 2359 UTC/GMT

The current deadline is Friday, 12th October 2007 at 2359UTC/GMT. The current categories were posted by Joey on Friday as:

Joey D
New Categories

This Ain't No Chelsea Tractor: Most expensive SUV being used like an SUV should, i.e. really muddy, towing a trailer, stuff on the roof rack, 7 kids packed in there, etc. Something other then one little mom taking her one son to football practice.

Most Expensive Improperly Parked Car: The car that cost the most and isn't parked correctly...I bet it will be a Porsche.

Slowest White Car: 0-60, I tried to think of a generic category that many could enter. I'm hoping someone spots an old school Ford Bronco.

Bonus
Mini Cooper S Convertible, two points if its the new Sidewalk edition.

Edit: And I've now update post #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back