Playstation 3 System Update Thread

sounds like its a problem with the uk patch
its been taking down after so many people are having problems
i cant test to see if its true as i already done it

and not a word of a fix all replacments are being sent out to all people that have rang them
so far

Now that one came in the back door, upscalling of standard def content on BR has been missing for a while (the only thing my HD-DVD player did that my PS3 didn't), going to have to try that out later.

👍

Scaff

Unfortunatly the feature doesn't work!!

Ive just tried it. :(

I have just finished downloading and installing it, now I've just read about these problems and I'm terrified to switch it off!!! Has this happened many people, all seems ok with mine for now anyway.

I have just finished downloading and installing it, now I've just read about these problems and I'm terrified to switch it off!!! Has this happened many people, all seems ok with mine for now anyway.

Well all is fine for me, I updated this morning and it's been turned on and off a few times since. But as I just stated in the post above the up-scaling of 480i/p content on BD's doesn't work.

I dont know if this means mines ok but I just switched it off then back on again and it read the disc so hopefully its fine. Sorry for yours smokey.

Well all is fine for me, I updated this morning and it's been turned on and off a few times since. But as I just stated in the post above the up-scaling of 480i/p content on BD's doesn't work.
Is there a setting or something to make it do this?

Is there a setting or something to make it do this?

not that I can find, and according to the article posted above and what my pop's is reading on the net at the moment, it seems to be mainly US machines that are having problems with the update.

Did I miss something? Is the update out? I just turned on the PS3 and there was no word of an update on it.

If you scroll up through the posts you'll see that it was released last night, but apparently pulled due to some people experiencing problems with it, although so far it seems only to be affecting some people, and so far by and large those who appear to be having issues are in the European PSN region (which includes Australia).

There are certainly far more posts here, on AVS, HTF, and NeoGAF reporting no problems with the update than there are with, including people in the European PSN region, but I guess Sony is playing it safe and waiting to find out exactly why some are having problems and others are not.

Like I said earlier (I think in this thread), they've seemingly pulled it off the servers, as the file thee PS3 uses to read what the newest update is says 2.36 now, but it said 2.40 earlier.

From,
Chris.

just a silly question but did i need to download the update?
what happens if you dont
does it stop you playing online or is it just to block you from the store?

just a silly question but did i need to download the update?
what happens if you dont
does it stop you playing online or is it just to block you from the store?

I dont think it will let you sign in if you dont.

Sony Pulls PS3 2.40 Firmware After Reported Problems

The release of PlayStation 3 firmware 2.40 last night seems to have caused a wide number of issues for those who updated to the new release, as we reported earlier. It now appears that Sony has since pulled the newest update, reverting back to firmware 2.36 as the most recent available version. We were just prompted to download version 2.36 after having skipped the most recent pair of PS3 software updates.

This may be a temporary move to prevent more widespread reliability issues. We are awaiting confirmation on the move from Sony and will update when we hear back.

Thanks to Eddie H for the quick tip.

Update: SCEA has gotten back to us to let us know they are "looking into it."

http://kotaku.com/5021575/sony-pulls-ps3-240-firmware-after-reported-problems

Sony Pulls PS3 2.40 Firmware After Reported Problems

The release of PlayStation 3 firmware 2.40 last night seems to have caused a wide number of issues for those who updated to the new release, as we reported earlier. It now appears that Sony has since pulled the newest update, reverting back to firmware 2.36 as the most recent available version. We were just prompted to download version 2.36 after having skipped the most recent pair of PS3 software updates.

This may be a temporary move to prevent more widespread reliability issues. We are awaiting confirmation on the move from Sony and will update when we hear back.

Thanks to Eddie H for the quick tip.

Update: SCEA has gotten back to us to let us know they are "looking into it."

http://kotaku.com/5021575/sony-pulls-ps3-240-firmware-after-reported-problems

So should we all go to check for system updates and then it'll tell us to download 2.36 again or what do we, the ones that have downloaded 2.40 do???

Sorry to hear that some people, including some people here, have had their PS3's die on them :( Luckily I seem to have dodged the 2.40 bullet, though... I downloaded and installed it earlier this evening, oblivious to the problems... it's working fine and I've switched the console off and back on again, and no sign of any problems :crazy: Now if I could just get rid of that clock in the top right hand corner of my screen, I'd be happy...

So should we all go to check for system updates and then it'll tell us to download 2.36 again or what do we, the ones that have downloaded 2.40 do???

ive tried that already and it tells me ive got the newest update (2.40)
i was hoping it would let me rollback firmware but no luck

i dont know to try to get mine replaced or hang on and see if they release a fix
not that i can find any info on a fix just lots of info on replacements being sent out:indiff:

Well I dont know if this is related, but ive just watched two episodes of the 4400 and when I stopped playback it froze the PS3 and forced me to do a hard boot. Working again now but gave me a scare.

Don't worry... I have occasional lockups with videos sometimes too, way before the update.

Damn I which I hadn't updated now.... everything seems fine on it but im scared it may do the spinning thing of death on me.

I got the update from the HK website for my HK console.... I hope they release a patch if it turns out something is wrong with this update...

Robin.

If it's working, then nothing. Enjoy it.

it's working fine and I've switched the console off and back on again, and no sign of any problems

Same here. I've played several games already, turned on and off the PS3, switched discs, and played a documentary off my Blu-ray disc for Departed. Everything is working just fine.

Now if I could just get rid of that clock in the top right hand corner of my screen, I'd be happy...

Agreed! In the 2.40 demo (part 1) at about the 3:20 mark Eric Lempel clearly mentioned that to see the clock all you would have to do was press the PS button... which I assumed meant that the clock would ONLY be seen when you do that, but it appears what he meant was that during a game you can make the clock appear by pressing the PS button... but seeing as this is just because it's bringing up the XMB, that's not really the same as the other things that come up when you press the PS button, like the charge level, channel no., controller settings, etc.

Oh well. Maybe they will change that for the next update and make it something you can turn off in the option menus, just as we are able to turn off message alerts as well as the Information bar.

Well I have 2.36 right now...... 2.40 was pulled?! :scared: Ouch and I'm sorry to hear that some people have had trouble with the system after updating, hope it goes better for everyone! :D --- Randy

Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported

Now that one came in the back door, upscalling of standard def content on BR has been missing for a while (the only thing my HD-DVD player did that my PS3 didn't), going to have to try that out later.

Unfortunatly the feature doesn't work!!

Ive just tried it. :(

It works. Commercial Blu-ray movies use the BDMV format, not BDAV. BDAV is commonly used for Blu-ray burners. SD content on a commercial Blu-ray disc is already, or can be scaled by both the PS3 and the TV. I know my PS3 scales it to 720p, but I prefer to let my TV do the scaling as it has a better video processor.

Same here. I've played several games already, turned on and off the PS3, switched discs, and played a documentary off my Blu-ray disc for Departed. Everything is working just fine.

Same here, updated around 9am this morning (60gig UK launch model) and have been using it most of the day, BR, DVD, trailers from the store, BR games, PSN games, demos, the lot.

No problem with any of them, do get slightly nervous anytime a screen 'seems' to be blank for longer than I think it should be, but all is OK right now.

Regards

Scaff

+3 - I've had 2.40 for about 5hrs now without any significant issue. I did have a minor glitch about an hour ago where I kept getting a DNS/communication error but once I rebooted all was fine again. Impossible to know whether it was related to the new firmware or not.

You wont have any problems with 2.40 if it installed fine. Mine works great, I just want more games to support in-game music. I just picked up Burnout Paradise so I can't wait for the update.

Back