Playstation 3 System Update Thread

Has anyone been able to get GTAIV to work with the music feature? It was said to have worked by many people and I even downloaded an update for it when I popped it in today but no luck! What the hell was that up date for if not for the music? I mean I'm pretty sure that update was new today as it hasn't been more that a week since I played it.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that either the update doesn't like a particular SKU, or that the people having issues did something they weren't supposed to while it was updating...

Anyone here have a 60GB PS3 and have issues? If so, state what reigon.

I have installed 2.40 on two PS3's (60GB, 40GB both PAL) and both installed and starting fine. Though I have had a problem. Since my install on the 60GB when I was playing games (GTA4) it would show everyone as offline which was not true, because of this I could not recieve GTA4 multiplayer invites.

I fiddled around logging on and between the two PS3's and it seems to have been solved somehow.

Mines working fine. I downloaded 2.4 last night, and have played my ps3 several times since then, and it still works fine.

I was looking through the forum thread at playstation.com and I saw this post:

x3am
Are you fools being paid by microsoft or something?

SIMPLE FACTS ABOUT WHATS GOING ON WITH THE FIRMWARE

1. IF YOU ALREADY DOWNLOADED IT, And it works fine, THAN YOUR FINE.

The problem DOES NOT AFFECT YOu. Dont be scared you girls. You can turn on your PS3 without crying and pissing your pants.

2. The problem seems to be during the actual download. Some people missed a piece out of 2.40 and hence their XMB had not loaded.

So again, you **bleep**ing hype artists. Get it through your brain this is not an issue with 2.40 BUT AN ISSUE THAT HAPPENED WHILE SOME USERS WERE DOWNLOADING. (ed. note: probably during installing, not downloading)

This is not some wide spread bull**bleep**, its a couple of hype artists who have nothing better to do than cry llike girls on the internet.

Good job being pathetic.

Holy cow. [/end thread]

I was looking through the forum thread at playstation.com and I saw this post:

Holy cow. [/end thread]

Unfortunately, that sort of thing is somewhat necessary on the official boards...I no longer visit there because the maturity and posting standards (HA, HA HA) are low poor not existent.

It works. Commercial Blu-ray movies use the BDMV format, not BDAV. BDAV is commonly used for Blu-ray burners. SD content on a commercial Blu-ray disc is already, or can be scaled by both the PS3 and the TV. I know my PS3 scales it to 720p, but I prefer to let my TV do the scaling as it has a better video processor.

I was using The Reaping BD Disk. Its a 480i/p on box and displays as so. I haven't checked any other disk, all my BD's are 100% official, so I dont know where to go from hear.

just been on the phone to tescos and sony
tesco didnt even want to know
sony were ok about it
he said they have been getting alot of calls about the firmware
and there is NO fix all they can do is replace it
it will take a week to replace so not that bad i suppose
lol i asked him if it would have 2.40 on it and he said he wouldnt think so
lucky i backed up all my saves and stuff on usb
funny thing i think about it all
the day before the update i searched the house high and low for my ps3 receipt
i think i tempted fate

just been on the phone to tescos and sony
tesco didnt even want to know
sony were ok about it
he said they have been getting alot of calls about the firmware
and there is NO fix all they can do is replace it
it will take a week to replace so not that bad i suppose
lol i asked him if it would have 2.40 on it and he said he wouldnt think so
lucky i backed up all my saves and stuff on usb
funny thing i think about it all
the day before the update i searched the house high and low for my ps3 receipt
i think i tempted fate

Im glad Sony are going to sort it for you although its really an inconvience no one should have to deal with, they should also compensate you in some sort of way because they messed it up. This is an expensive bit of kit and I would be pissed to have mine replaced.

After reading around the net is seems that most of the problems were due to the download process rather than the update itself... the server was jammed and people kept getting booted off which may have resulted in them loosing bits (all the more reason to get it off the net in one whole piece and install from a memory stick)... It also seems like the US was worst affected and that the 60GB machines were the ones which had the least number of reported failures.

I have been trying the console a lot since the update, swapping disks, turning on and off, playing music videos etc etc and it all seems fine.... phew! Next time an update comes im going to hold back a few days to see if anything happens!

The Home update will probably brick half the world!

Robin

I have a 60gb and i think i must have got one of the last ones because i got it at christmas, the thing i'm worried about is that if anything happens to it i don't think i will get another 60gb model :(

Not that there's anything wrong with the other models, i just prefer the 60gb :P

I got a 60gb PAL. I played over 10 hours with new firmware without any problem.
by the way I never update my firmware via internet on ps3. I always do it with a storage device. It's much more safety and fast.

by the way I never update my firmware via internet on ps3. I always do it with a storage device. It's much more safety and fast.

I agree, this way packets can't possibly be lost because the download off the net would have failed. Also the PS3 is able to copy the update direct to the HDD a lot faster.

60GB's seem to be fairing better after all these failures...

I have a 60gb and i think i must have got one of the last ones because i got it at christmas, the thing i'm worried about is that if anything happens to it i don't think i will get another 60gb model :(

Not that there's anything wrong with the other models, i just prefer the 60gb :P

I think Sony stockpiles original 60GB if they fail because people have exchanged thier 60GB for new 60's eventhough they are not for sale anymore... when they run out they will probably start giving 80's instead.

I also prefer the 60GB, for no particular reason... its just that its kind of the original one.

Robin

I got the original 60GB US PS3 with latest firmware aka 2.40 via wireless and she is purring.:)

I just keep a US PSN account so I don't have to worry about getting wrong firmware as Sony did not know you could have multiple accounts from different countries.

I got the original 60GB US PS3 with latest firmware aka 2.40 via wireless and she is purring.:)

I just keep a US PSN account so I don't have to worry about getting wrong firmware as Sony did not know you could have multiple accounts from different countries.

Of course Sony know that people use multiple accounts, last year they allowed Naughty Dog to patch and upload a new version of the Uncharted demo onto the US store so that people in Europe and Japan could try it.

The story is here....

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/08/uncharted-drakes-fortune-demo-update/#comment-30460

....and the demo was sorted (within a day if I recall correctly) and uploaded.

Sony know full well that people have multiple accounts and download from different stores, they don't shout from the roof-tops encouraging people to do it, but by the same token they certainly don't seem to mind.

Regards

Scaff

I think Sony stockpiles original 60GB if they fail because people have exchanged thier 60GB for new 60's eventhough they are not for sale anymore... when they run out they will probably start giving 80's instead.

I also prefer the 60GB, for no particular reason... its just that its kind of the original one.

I use the card slots to get music onto my ps3 so i wouldn't like to lose that, or the extra 20gb.

Sony know full well that people have multiple accounts and download from different stores, they don't shout from the roof-tops encouraging people to do it, but by the same token they certainly don't seem to mind.

Rightly so, I don't see why all stores don't get the same content :confused:

The other day i had to download the Top Spin 3 demo from the US playstation store, i don't see why it isn't in the european playstation store.

The other day i had to download the Top Spin 3 demo from the US playstation store, i don't see why it isn't in the european playstation store.

Various reasons, many around marketing and the publishers, some can be around launch dates, other can be to do with localisation issues (for example languages, America = English and Spanish while Europe = Many) and legal/rating issues (Germany has very, very strict issues with violence in games, as does Australia to a less degree).

You also need to be careful what you wish for, as I certainly would not want most of what is on the Japanese store, tons of bizarre Japanese release only games would not make the store better at all and that's what we would get if it went truly global.

We can create multiple accounts easily, background downloading works regardless of the source store and account you are in (strange how well that works if they didn't know about people doing it), so personally I have no issue with it at all.

Regards

Scaff

Various reasons, many around marketing and the publishers, some can be around launch dates, other can be to do with localisation issues (for example languages, America = English and Spanish while Europe = Many) and legal/rating issues (Germany has very, very strict issues with violence in games, as does Australia to a less degree).

You also need to be careful what you wish for, as I certainly would not want most of what is on the Japanese store, tons of bizarre Japanese release only games would not make the store better at all and that's what we would get if it went truly global.

We can create multiple accounts easily, background downloading works regardless of the source store and account you are in (strange how well that works if they didn't know about people doing it), so personally I have no issue with it at all.

Regards

Scaff

I don't have an issue with it either, i just think it may be easier than creating two or three acounts.

As we're engaging in speculation......

I don't really see that downloading the Firmware to a PC is any safer in terms of being sure that the entire file is there. You can easily get a bad/incomplete file via ftp, for instance.

In fact I would speculate that the PS3 is doing an ftp in the background. Which means there is no difference between the two.

A common way to prevent this, or detect it, is to use some kind of checksum. I assum Sony does that, they'd have to be pretty daft not to.

That would lead me to speculate that the download process is fine, it's the install process which is causing the problems.

As I say, speculation.........

Well, I got home and my PS3 had finished installing. I logged in and all worked fine. Played some games, updated SSHD, played it, and even watched a movie.

All is good in my PS3.

A great feeling just consumed me. I was looking at all the trophies that I can get for SSHD, and then I booted up the game, and thought, "It sure would be nice to be able to see that list now, too bad I'm in game and I can't. OH, wait, I CAN." Made me feel good inside.

Looks like Brian Crecente had to post something his "editors" refused to post:

Sony: 2.40 Firmware Problems Not Widespread

A day after taking their 2.40 firmware update for the Playstation 3 down after message boards lit up with people complaining of sporadic problems with the software, Sony Computer Entertainment says that they are now assessing the issue and will put the update back up once they have solved the problems.

“We are aware of a number of consumers experiencing an issue with installing firmware 2.40 on PS3. While our consumer services department has seen a low volume of calls on this topic, we are committed to enabling the community and XMB access features delivered in the 2.40 update. In order to further assess the issue, we have temporarily taken the firmware offline for further testing. We are working diligently to isolate the problem for those few consumers and to identify a solution before we put the firmware back up.”
We are still waiting to hear back from SCEA about what sort of solution they may be able to provide to those who have already updated their firmware and are having problems. If you're adventurous, some gamers have already come up with their own solution.
Sony says that once a solution is found they will make sure to update the official Playstation Blog with the information.
Firmware Update Page [Playstation Blog]

http://kotaku.com/5021950/sony-240-firmware-problems-not-widespread

I think this story is nothing new and is only being sensationalized because of the equal footing Sony now has with Microsoft in online functionality. The naysayers cannot accept Sony being able to change tactics to suit customer desires. If there is a problem, I applaud Sony for pulling the firmware before it creates a much larger problem.

After reading around the net is seems that most of the problems were due to the download process rather than the update itself... the server was jammed and people kept getting booted off which may have resulted in them loosing bits (all the more reason to get it off the net in one whole piece and install from a memory stick)

As we're engaging in speculation......

I don't really see that downloading the Firmware to a PC is any safer in terms of being sure that the entire file is there. You can easily get a bad/incomplete file via ftp, for instance.

In fact I would speculate that the PS3 is doing an ftp in the background. Which means there is no difference between the two.

A common way to prevent this, or detect it, is to use some kind of checksum. I assum Sony does that, they'd have to be pretty daft not to.

That would lead me to speculate that the download process is fine, it's the install process which is causing the problems.

Well said, and I'm fairly certain Sony even made that clear a long time ago when many people were posting saying that they didn't trust downloading the system software directly to their PS3.

However, at least Sony gives them that choice, and if it makes those users feel that it is safer, then so be it. 👍

BTW: Here is the current official announcement from Sony:

Firmware v2.40 Status
Posted on July 2, 2008 by Patrick Seybold // Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media
As has been reported on many gaming blogs and websites, we have temporarily taken Firmware v2.40 offline. We’ve received a limited number of calls from consumers experiencing an issue with installing the system software update on their PS3. While our consumer services department has seen a low volume of calls on this topic, we are committed to providing the PS3 community with XMB access features delivered in the v2.40 update. We are working diligently to isolate the problem for those few consumers and to identify a solution before we put the firmware back up.

We’ll provide further information as necessary here on the Blog.

In addition to what Scaff said, it is also extremely important to understand every region has it's own set of rules and standards, and almost all the content in the PSN stores MUST be rated by the governing bodies in that region. This is also why some content will be edited out of some videos in order to get past the rating boards.

Besides language barriers, licensing agreements, and other legalities, even when a video or demo passes all of these obstacles for all regions, it may take one region longer to get through the rating process than another.

As any company that sells and or distributes products, especially media content will tell you, trying to deal with all the different legal hurdles one faces in each region across the globe can be mind numbingly painful.

The fact that Sony has allowed us access to multiple regions is frankly amazing, as you won't find that with any of its competitors. In fact I would not be the least bit surprised if Sony shuts that access down in the near future. Especially if all they get are complaints from users in one region who are unhappy because they have to spend a few seconds logging in using another ID to get access to it.

*sigh*

If or when Sony decides to say it just isn't worth the hassle and shuts down multi-region access to stores, and like the XBL stores, be region locked, I suspect all the people that were complaining about the inconvenience of having to change IDs are going to wish they had maybe been a tad less vocal with their complaints. :indiff:

BTW: For those that feel the need to complain about the PSN stores, there is a better thread for that than here, and in fact there has even been a recent discussion on why content is not all the same for all PSN stores:

I do hope they get everything squared away soon, I would like to play around with all the new features.

just to let you all know
as ive been on the offical forums alot since mine broke
theres been lots of threads removed
there was loads yesterday now theres only a few on there about 2.40 bricking consoles
it seems sony dont want there forums full of bad posts

just reading up the posts and saw
'The fact that Sony has allowed us access to multiple regions'
now its funny you should say that as soon as i told the sony man my console
messed up after updated it
he asked if it had been dropped and so on and i told him what had happend
he then asked me if i had multiple region Psn Ids and if i had a custom theme installed
lol i felt bad telling him i had 4 pns ids but he wouldnt say if that was the cause or not
he said he just wanted to know if i had downloaded it from the uk and not somewhere else
well so he said anyways but im thinking it must be custom theme or people downloading the wrong firmware i know i got mine from the uk but i did have a custom theme on
seems strange thats all he asked then said sorry ill have to send a replacment

has anybody got any update/news ? if you have keep us posted

I will be willing to guess that it is not custom themes that did this.

Because I was running one and mine worked fine. And I know at least a few others on here were likely running that same theme, if not other themes.

I agree, I dont think it would be custom themes but who knows....

I also believe that multiple region accounts is something to do with it otherwise why would Sony ask smokey2k about it in his post... so obviously its an issue.

Robin.

I agree, I dont think it would be custom themes but who knows....

I also believe that multiple region accounts is something to do with it otherwise why would Sony ask smokey2k about it in his post... so obviously its an issue.

Robin.
Except I have five different regional accounts (and two US).

It could be questions for them to see if it can be recreated in controlled conditions.

First thing IT asks me when a glitch pops up in our software is, "Can this be recreated?"

Except I have five different regional accounts (and two US).

It could be questions for them to see if it can be recreated in controlled conditions.

First thing IT asks me when a glitch pops up in our software is, "Can this be recreated?"

I suppose they have to go through a troubleshooting list to see if you do the same thing again that it will have the same effect but it must be something Sony knows can happen by accident otherwise they wouldnt ask.

So if you said my consoles from the US but I donwloaded the update from a UK PSN then Sony would probably say that might be a reason as it could be incompatible..

Robin

Back