Playstation 3 System Update Thread

Updated to 2.41, no problems to report.

The Platinum trophy had a new icon.

DSCN1903.jpg

Nice spot. I like the new icon. It looks like a platinum globe with crystal fins spiraling around it. 👍

The crown trophy on the other hand was pretty bland... and not exactly a "trophy" either. :)

I honestly don't understand the point of this 2.41. There are two kind of Playstation 3 users right now:

1.- The ones who suffered a brick of their Playstation 3 due to the 2.40
2.- The ones who downloaded & installed 2.40 without problems at all and has been playing online like always (my case for example..)

This new 2.41 is said to be an update to solve the problems of the 2.40... but this in my opinion is quite strange, because for the users on the 1st point it's useless (as I know they won't have the oportunity to update the Playstation 3 since their XMB doesn't load and they can't boot anything from USB ports or other media). And for the users of the 2nd point, it's useless (new platinum icon?) too because 2.40 already worked on fully purpose.

Am I wrong or there's something that I don't get? because apart from the new Platinum icon (which I really like honestly, it reminds me FF VII) I don't see anything that deserves this 2.41 update. I'm downloading it anyway in order to continue playing online.

And another thing I really don't get from the few comments that I've saw is the fact that some users tries to format their hard disc or think that they've lost the game saves. Just because as I know.. the updates just saves into a internal memory (on it's XDR memory?), so all the data from the hard disc should be still there, and give it a format won't help since the problem is into the Playstation memory for the firmware.

I honestly don't understand the point of this 2.41

Well we don't yet know exactly what the difference is between 2.40 and 2.41 but what ever it is, it is my understanding that while it is certainly possible to never update your system software and still be able to play off line. If you play online, you must update to the most recent system software. I suspect this is to insure there are no communication problems between multiple users who may other wise be running different system software versions.

Good point that one, didn't realize that there's still people out there with 2.36 since the 2.40 was removed hour after it's release.

Good point that one, didn't realize that there's still people out there with 2.36 since the 2.40 was removed hour after it's release.

Slight point, 2.4 was up for a good 12 hours before it was pulled, not an hour. Using GMT it went up at around 4.30am and was pulled at around 8pm.

In regard to 2.4 users updating to 2.41, well I am one, and while cosmetically the only thing that has changed is the platinum icon; the in-game XMB does now seem to run smoother and load and un-load quicker (some 4.2 users were reporting it was very slow to load).

However as DN pointed out the main reason was to get everyone that never got 2.40 to the latest firmware, while fixing a few issues.

Regards

Scaff

Slight point, 2.4 was up for a good 12 hours before it was pulled, not an hour. Using GMT it went up at around 4.30am and was pulled at around 8pm.
I meant "hours after", keyboard error, I typed "hour after", but thanks for the point 👍

Scaff, you've a little mess with the download versions !! =]

im a 2.40 person and going to update to 2.41 hopefully it will resolve some slight niggles with a slow loading xmb and sluggish performance in general, which others have experienced.

Anyone know what Sony officially stated the update was for? EDIT - Im mean what was included...

Robin

Didn't see any screen that the ones on the lastest updates which said the new things included on the download, so don't know what this one offers exactly.

But what I've experienced is the same that a few persons here before: the XMB loads quicker, and I could see that the PSN login sesion is faster too.

tried it on mine sadly it hasnt fixed it :(
still dead
bring on thrusday when i get my new one
lol hope that dont die when i update
i wont be doing it from my ps3 anymore im always going to do it from usb

any news on what was the cause of the problems?
all i can find is people saying it was a custom theme and not to have one on when you update, to me it seems a bit silly as its only a theme but you never know i suppose
also not to have any discs in the drive when you update i didnt know you was supposed to have a empty drive

paul

i wont be doing it from my ps3 anymore im always going to do it from usb

Yeah thats a good idea.. better to be safe with the 2nd one..

ceiling_fan
When I updated to 2.4 I had both a custom theme and a disc in the drive. Right now I'm at 51% so it's too late to save it :lol:

:lol: I hope it wasnt a particularly important game! :sly:

Robin.

It took less than three minutes for it to reach the 55% mark and then it zipped straight to the 100% mark, as usual. Then it shutdown my PS3 automatically. I restarted it and all apears just fine. 👍

Hmm, mine took 5 or so minutes to get to 50%, and now it's crawling and after 10 minutes or so it's at 59%.

And as I typed that (I'm on a laptop) it zipped to the end :lol:

strange thing is it plays dvds and cds fine now
they work perfect
just not the bluray games
they just dont show up in the xmb
(havent got a bluray film to test i gave it back to my mate)
swiss army knife still reads/rips the bluray games but the xmb wont

im not really bothered sony was all good about replacing it
least it didnt cost me no money to get fixed
its only a couple of days now till i get the replacement
and ive had a chance to play with alot of tools i was to paraniod to install before

*just to note i didnt have any dodgy programs on the hd before it broke
ive been testing them since it broke ;)

any news on what was the cause of the problems?
all i can find is people saying it was a custom theme and not to have one on when you update, to me it seems a bit silly as its only a theme but you never know i suppose
also not to have any discs in the drive when you update i didnt know you was supposed to have a empty drive
If that is the catalyst it isn't guaranteed. I think that is based on rumors because that is what the Sony reps asked when people called in. The thing is: some people who had it kill the machine didn't have a disc in the drive or a custom theme, while I had Rock Band in the drive and was running the GT5P theme.

Perhaps it was a bad theme, or unstable theme? I've gotten a few user created ones that just made everything slow.

Guess what? 2.4 wasn't the problem.
I agree.

smoky2k, judging by your description, I think this is more likely to just be that your BD laser died on you at the same time, as your problems are different from what everyone else experienced.

I doubt it matters either way as you are getting it replaced fairly quickly.

I am a month beyond my warranty so if anything happens at this point I am likely screwed. But then again, I lost my receipt during a house cleaning, so I have likely been screwed for a while.

Oh well, to speed this update along I think I will be downloading the update to my USB thumb drive on my company's 1gb fiber line.

From what I've read, the problems with 2.40 were due to "Excess Administration Data" on the PS3, which would probably explain why the format seemed to work.

From,
Chhris.

Downloaded, Installed and running fine. All good to hear after the horrors of the last update.

2.41 is out? If so should I d/l if I'm not having problems with 2.40 or do I have a choice?
You have a choice, but then you can't do anything on the PSN if you don't upgrade.

Plus, it does make a few minor changes to 2.40, like a new platinum trophy icon.

Back