Playstation 3 System Update Thread

From what I've read, the problems with 2.40 were due to "Excess Administration Data" on the PS3, which would probably explain why the format seemed to work.

From,
Chhris.

Yup, that is correct for the people that were able to fix it by formatting their HDD.

With this update, we have fixed the problem that has prevented a limited number of PS3 systems from activating properly after updating to version 2.40, which was caused by certain system administrative data being contained in the HDD.

We have confirmed that for those users who have successfully updated to version 2.40 and are able to activate the PS3 system, this problem will not occur on your PS3.

Hence why formatting the HDD sorts the problem! However Sony also say...

For those users who have updated to version 2.40 and have experienced the problem that the PS3 Home Menu (XMB) is not appearing, or no images are displaying on the screen, please contact Customer Service.

Source

anyone managed to get a trophy yet? is there a list or something of games that support it? I guess the developers knew this a while ago...

How can you update the firmware if you put it on a USB stick?

All you need to know is right HERE. 👍

The online PS3 System Software User Manual is extremely well done, and makes it extraordinarily easy and convenient to answer any questions you have about the PS3 operating system, settings, menus, etc.

Not only is it available via a web browser, but the manual is also available from your PS3, located at the top of the Network menu bar.

I'm getting a slow download so far. I need to check earlier when there are updates so I can spend more time gaming and less watching the meter fill.

Mine went slower than that and I got signed out. The second time I also got signed out after I turned on the wireless on my laptop.

How can you update the firmware if you put it on a USB stick?

How To Update Firmwares from Usb
Create a Folder Called
PS3
in that folder create a folder called
UPDATE
so it will look like
PS3\UPDATE (it must be in caps)

place your PS3UPDAT.PUP in the folder UPDATE

plug it in your ps3 and go on system update
then select from 'storage media' 👍
it will now update your firmware

You know you're a redneck if...

...you can't spell your name. :P

Update seems fine, hopefully the update for SSHD that supports trophies will be up soon, or already is. It wasn't last night.

I never noticed that :lol:, but keyboard in lap = crappy typing.

Anyway, I'm still fine over here.

From,
Chris.

Did anyone notice that now (2.41) we can't view the messages received/sent to a particular friend when we click on his name/avatar on the friend's list? Now, when a friend has sent me a message, there's the litle icon near his avatar, but to read it we have to go to the "general" list of received messages.

Or am I missing something in the "friend" menu?

I have another friend-related issue, but it happened before 2.40. Maybe before 2.36 too.

When I receive a friend request, view the message in my inbox and "accept" it, it says "error - the friend request has been canceled". Then, I noticed if I scroll all the way to the bottom of my friends list that the request is still there, and I can accept it that way. Both ways used to work, but now only the latter works. :odd:

Did anyone notice that now (2.41) we can't view the messages received/sent to a particular friend when we click on his name/avatar on the friend's list? Now, when a friend has sent me a message, there's the litle icon near his avatar, but to read it we have to go to the "general" list of received messages.

Or am I missing something in the "friend" menu?
Hit Triangle when on someone's name and it brings up the old Friends List menu.

G.T
I have another friend-related issue, but it happened before 2.40. Maybe before 2.36 too.

When I receive a friend request, view the message in my inbox and "accept" it, it says "error - the friend request has been canceled". Then, I noticed if I scroll all the way to the bottom of my friends list that the request is still there, and I can accept it that way. Both ways used to work, but now only the latter works. :odd:
It could be an odd network glitch. Haven't seen it myself.

G.T

I get it too, I just scroll to the bottom now.

From,
Chris.

G.T

I got it every friend invite before 2.4 (havent had an invite since :lol:) It got a little tiresome at times.

Any news on a release date for the update with 'Life with Playstation', I heard them say at E3 it would be at the end of this month?

Any place to get this update on to a usb drive? Cant seem to "connect to the server". The playstation site only has 2.41. I jonsing for some gt5p online. lol

System stability while playing some PS titles, in other words, Life with Playstation pre-update, signaling we get another update (I.E. 2.50) or LWPS comes out in the store thursday.

From,
Chris.

I found a bug but I'm guessing it was there before. I put the same demo on my download list twice.

if you mean downloaded the same item twice in a row, I don't think thats actually a bug, there's just nothing preventing you except for the little icon it shows on each item you've downloaded.

Back