Playstation 3 System Update Thread

Thanks, after having better success via USB, that's how I update at this point. So much easier and more reliable.

Updated it this morning. No time to look for hidden stuff.

Even if it is just stability, a changelog would be appreciated.

Oh well, hopefully some blog will find the goodies before I get home.

System stability while playing some PS titles, in other words, Life with Playstation pre-update, signaling we get another update (I.E. 2.50) or LWPS comes out in the store thursday.

From,
Chris.

Yup 👍 Sony always have provide an update to prepare for the next major thing, this also happened before 2.00 and will probably happen before Home..

Something Sony also does is bring out an update after to fix all the broken stuff before! :dopey: ;)

Robin

I knew I should have checked here first. I was having a lot of trouble connecting when trying to do the update. I never had a problem before and though it might be me. I think I am going to do USB updates from now on as well. Wasted a night with an update that the wife gave me permission to use for racing... argh!:ouch:

I knew I should have checked here first. I was having a lot of trouble connection when trying to do the update. I never had a problem before and though it might be me. I think I am going to do USB updates from now on as well. Wasted a night with an update that the wife gave me permission to use for racing... argh!:ouch:
It seems like I have seen various complainst around about trouble connecting. Most of them seem to be California/West Coast US based. I wonder if the earthquake yesterday isn't creating issues for some people.

Updated it this morning. No time to look for hidden stuff.

Even if it is just stability, a changelog would be appreciated.

Oh well, hopefully some blog will find the goodies before I get home.

Yep some blog did:
http://www.psu.com/[UPDATE]-Mysterious-firmware-update-released-News--a0004377-p0.php
PSU
A mysterious firmware update, firmware 2.42, has just gone live.

To be entirely honest, we have absolutely no idea what this firmware does. It's odd; usually Sony prompts everyone before these sort of updates occur, but this time nobody has received any prior notice.

Just go download it we suppose. We'll be updating this article momentarily as more specific details on this new update arise.

Update:

It appears that the Trophies have been optimized and are loading much quicker now.

Update #2

Official word from Sony: "This update improves the playback quality of some PLAYSTATION 3 and PlayStation format software."

Update #3

For those of you having difficulty downloading the new firmware update via the PS3, we have provided a link to download the update to your PC and transfer to your system. Click here to download firmware 2.42.

As I said in another thread, this update is so minor I wouldn't be suprised if it had something to do with the new GT5P update (on friday the 1st), that is based arounf a large GTTV update, maybe to allow the in PSN wallet to work ingame GT5P for the GTTV programs. plus a bunch of other minor tweaks no one notices.

As I said in another thread, this update is so minor I wouldn't be suprised if it had something to do with the new GT5P update (on friday the 1st), that is based arounf a large GTTV update, maybe to allow the in PSN wallet to work ingame GT5P for the GTTV programs. plus a bunch of other minor tweaks no one notices.

That's what I'm starting to think, and that Jack Tretton misspoke at E3 (he did state one billion in one of the LBP presentations when it was in fact, one million), so one month could easily be a year knowing Sony :P

From,
Chris.

****I think I am going to do USB updates from now on as well.**** ... argh!:ouch:

I've been updating via USB since I always felt that the last update that I installed directly to the PS3, Version 2.10, caused some major problems.

I left the most recent update, Version 2.41, on my USB Flash Drive, but renamed it to PS3UP241.OLD. I then saved Version 2.42 to the drive, and noticed that the file sizes were identical.....133,513 kb. Hmmm...

I've been updating via USB since I always felt that the last update that I installed directly to the PS3, Version 2.10, caused some major problems.

I left the most recent update, Version 2.41, on my USB Flash Drive, but renamed it to PS3UP241.OLD. I then saved Version 2.42 to the drive, and noticed that the file sizes were identical.....133,513 kb. Hmmm...

That's because they usually contain the same amount of data because it reinstalls the entire OS again. (IIRC)

From,
Chris.

If you go to install it the PS3 will tell you if it detects a new firmware update or not. So, if it is the old file then it won't prompt you to install it. It'll just say something about no new firmware because version X.XX is already installed.

If you go to install it the PS3 will tell you if it detects a new firmware update or not. So, if it is the old file then it won't prompt you to install it. It'll just say something about no new firmware because version X.XX is already installed.

Well I suppose that I should have mentioned that my PS3 recognized it as Version 2.42, and that I installed it. The point of my post was that there is no (zero) difference in the file sizes, so I wonder what could have possibly changed.

Something else that is always disconcerting is that by installing the update via USB, the progress bar chugs along slowly to about 60%, and then zooooooms----> to 100%. This always makes me wonder if everything went as planned.

My theory is that since the PS3 downloads the whole base OS, that 40% is system files that you should have, the PS3 checks for those, and if anything's missing, it'll reinstall it, quite smart of it does though.

From,
Chris.

Something else that is always disconcerting is that by installing the update via USB, the progress bar chugs along slowly to about 60%, and then zooooooms----> to 100%. This always makes me wonder if everything went as planned.
It does it if you just download within the PS3 too. More than half the time my download gets to 60% to 65% and then jumps as well.

I bet that the system is so smart that it checks for missing system files if there is any and overwrites files with the update as that is where(which I assume) the 60% lies.

It's probably stability, just because you can't see anything doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Please don't double post, it clutters up the forum.
There is an "Edit" button in the bottom right corner to add information to your post.

Anyway, to answer your questions, most likely, and the next update (sometime this month) will include LWPS if it's coming in a FW update, however, if it will instead be a download from the PS store, we don't know what the next FW update will include.

From,
Chris.

2.42 was pretty much published to fix the problem with viewing your own trophies, and stability improvement for recently released Playstation games (I know SSHD benefited from the update).

o ok, o, i have one question that doesnt really go with this thread, i couldnt find a subforum for it lol, what is Folding@Home thing? I mean ive been to it, but do you really get anything for it?

It's a shared processing app that does calculations to simulate protein folding. Basically it's doing research for diseases by simulation cellular behavior to find anomalies, and figure out why they happen.

Well you not only get to kinda see what they are doing, they are basically using your PS3 to help with their work. Its a great cause, and every PS3 comes standard with the application.

o thats cool. I dont really go on it that much. lol. o i heard a rumor that 2.43 will include lwps and some needed apps for home. thats what i heard, not legit or anything but...

o ok, o, i have one question that doesnt really go with this thread, i couldnt find a subforum for it lol, what is Folding@Home thing? I mean ive been to it, but do you really get anything for it?
I don't personally Fold, but if you are/will start, you can join the GTP Folding Team.

Back