Playstation 3 System Update Thread

That was in Pixel Junk Monsters, which IIRC will be the the first game to feature custom soundtracks, as they've already got the code ready.

Minor correction. It was Pixel Junk Monsters: Encore.

*head explodes*

Its like different things are being said from everywhere :scared: but I do hope its as simple as BGM off and XMB music on....

Robin
For games that are programmed to look for the OS telling it to do that, it will be. But you have to realize that games out before now weren't designed to give BGM control to the OS. To make the OS just do that would basically be hacking the game and it would be impossible to guarantee stability across all the titles out there now. Heck, some aren't stable on their own.

I downloaded this when I got up this morning. Amazing how doing it at 6:15AM cuts the download time in half from when I try to do it at 6:00PM.

Anyway, I was busy getting ready, and expected it to take longer, so I didn't see the install prompt until I had to walk the dog. And as you don't delay walking a chihuahua after an entire night without a bathroom break I didn't get to start the install until I was ready to walk out of the door.

I'll check this out tonight with all my games.

I know I want custom music for Echochrome. The provided music is very relaxing, but too much so. I start to feel drowsy and can't concentrate after a few levels.

Well Ive always updated via XMB and not a single problem with the download.

ALWAYS download the update from the region you PS3 is from, if you log in using another region ID it will download that regions update and could stuff up the PS3

Does this update provide for "digital copy" of DVD's to PSP or other portable devices?
This is a feature that also has to be on the DVD correct? Or is that only if it's a BR disc?
Thanks.

What a coincidence, as without an explanation as to why you think this, so is this post.

Discussion is fine, posts that appear to offer little more than 'bait' to start an argument are not.

Scaff

I bought into the hype and got dissappointed

In game music only works on .5% of the games out there, hardly any games supports trophies right now and the ones on the list I don't have.

So all this update gave me was a clock on the XMB and the ability to send messages while in any game.

It's OK, but nothing everyone hyped it up to be just yet. Once more games support the trophies and in game music this will be better, but right now it does little for me personally.

Just very dissappointed after getting my hopes so high.

In game music only works on .5% of the games out there, hardly any games supports trophies right now and the ones on the list I don't have.

So all this update gave me was a clock on the XMB and the ability to send messages while in any game.

It's OK, but nothing everyone hyped it up to be just yet. Once more games support the trophies and in game music this will be better, but right now it does little for me personally.

So, you completely ignored all the official news everyone was talking about and posting in this very thread?

So, you completely ignored all the official news everyone was talking about and posting in this very thread?

I didn't follow this thread closely, but I followed other sites and I heard in game XMB for everygame so I thought that meant in game music for everygame.

I might as well still have 2.35 because 2.4 doesn't do much for me, yet

I have to say that hype never came from here, and it didn't come from Sony either.

They have been quite open about exactly what level of support games will have for Trophies and in-game music, the two videos put up and the Q&A session a few days ago covered it in detail.

Yes I would love for more games to support both, but at least the ball is now rolling and I can honestly see this one moving quickly. Sony have already said they are happy to support developers who wish to add trophies to existing titles.....

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=192103

...and I strongly suspect that some have been working with this for a short while already.

The in-game XMB has already given me two uses that I like, the first being I can have a quick look when friends sign-in at what they are playing and I love the ability to jump from game to game directly. I was playing a few demos this morning and it was great to not have to come out of each one and load the next up.

I'm more than happy with what has arrived, mainly because I was aware of exactly what Sony said you be in 3.4.

Regards

Scaff

I also have a HK PS3. First time I updated was in HK, and as I had no net access for PS3, i downloaded the update from their website. But ever since coming back to Australia, I've downloaded the update straight from the PS3 on my Australian PSN account, nothing has ever gone wrong...

Yeah I agree I don't think Sony is that stupid to allow the PSN ID to confuse the console to updating the wrong region firmware... cause if this so it would've stuffed up my ps3 ages ago cause I've updated my PS3 since firmware 2.20 with my Australian account. It's probably something to do with the downloading.... maybe there was some file that wasn't complete when I downloaded the file... well anyway let's just hope the mail that I get from sony tommorow will fix my ps3

Yeah I agree I don't think Sony is that stupid to allow the PSN ID to confuse the console to updating the wrong region firmware... cause if this so it would've stuffed up my ps3 ages ago cause I've updated my PS3 since firmware 2.20 with my Australian account. It's probably something to do with the downloading.... maybe there was some file that wasn't complete when I downloaded the file... well anyway let's just hope the mail that I get from sony tommorow will fix my ps3

Why would Sony warn you on every official website not to download firmware for another regions console if it was physically impossible to do...

Why would Sony be surprised when they heard people use online accounts that differ in region to the console...

Robin

I don't understand why people get upset or have a major downer on something that is FREE Sony could have just left the PS3 without any updates then we would be mighty naffed off, don't get me wrong in-game music is a big thing, but jeez let the update get out the door and let the games companies finish coding before you get all your underwear's twisted.

^ and theres another horror story right away!

Updating the PS3 (especially on the console) is a Russian Roulette! Its literally pot luck whether it bricks your console or not! :ill:

Did you get an update from the same region as your console (so the PSN region is the same?) if you got it on a PC did you get it from the right region website? Do you use a wireless connection? (things can get lost in the air).

Robin

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with being a random event. I know I have received all 26 system updates via the PS3 using the WiFi connection without a single problem what so ever. I also bought my parents a PS3 and they do all the updates via the PS3 and WiFi without any issues at all (and they have a terible WiFi connection at their house due to the location of the PS3 and the router). I also know that no one among my HT buddies, of which about a dozen own a PS3 and update via the PS3, have ever had any issues with any update.

So if you add up all those PS3s and all those updates, that's over 250 updates on multiple PS3s mostly done wirelessly without any problems... if it was Russian Roulette (and you were using a traditional six shooter) then forty or more of those updates should have resulted in a problem... and they did not.

I'm not trying to dismiss the fact that some people have reported having problems, but let's not scream fire in a crowded theater without clearly identifying who is having issues, and how their conditions may be quite different than others.

For instance, it certainly sounds like a regional or specific user issue... especially when you keep seeing the same people posting the same problems, while many more have never reported a single problem over the last year and half since the PS3 launched.

Well Ive always updated via XMB and not a single problem with the download.

ALWAYS download the update from the region you PS3 is from, if you log in using another region ID it will download that regions update and could stuff up the PS3

Adding to what Sprite said, and I think I may have mentioned it before, one of the nice things about using different themes for your multiple regional PS3 accounts is so that you can quickly tell what account you are currently logged in as before you update the system software. 👍

Another useful tip is to give each of your regional PSN accounts on your PS3 a different theme, color, and or background. This way you can easily tell which PSN account you are currently logged in as. 👍

I found out you can play music while you browse the internet on the ps3. I never tested the earlier firmware though.

If you want ingame music for your game send a message to the developers.

I found out you can play music while you browse the internet on the ps3. I never tested the earlier firmware though.

If you want ingame music for your game send a message to the developers.

Thats has been enabled for some time, its nice to do though. 👍

Also just add to what DN has put up.

If you are using multiple accounts but have one main one for the country you purchased it from, then you can set the PS3 to log you into your account straight away as soon as the PS3 is turned on (im not refering to the PSN Network auto login).

PS3 User Guide
If there are multiple users, you can set the user you want to automatically log in as when the system is started. After logging in as a particular user, select the icon of that user, press Triangle the button, and then select [Automatic Login].

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with being a random event. I know I have received all 26 system updates via the PS3 using the WiFi connection without a single problem what so ever. I also bought my parents a PS3 and they do all the updates via the PS3 and WiFi without any issues at all (and they have a terible WiFi connection at their house due to the location of the PS3 and the router). I also know that no one among my HT buddies, of which about a dozen own a PS3 and update via the PS3, have ever had any issues with any update.

So if you add up all those PS3s and all those updates, that's over 250 updates on multiple PS3s mostly done wirelessly without any problems... if it was Russian Roulette (and you were using a traditional six shooter) then forty or more of those updates should have resulted in a problem... and they did not.

I'm not trying to dismiss the fact that some people have reported having problems, but let's not scream fire in a crowded theater without clearly identifying who is having issues, and how their conditions may be quite different than others.

For instance, it certainly sounds like a regional or specific user issue... especially when you keep seeing the same people posting the same problems, while many more have never reported a single problem over the last year and half since the PS3 launched.

Wireless has never been a huge point of mine for why a PS3 update can mess up although it could be a possible contributor, my main argument is that if you are using an account to download updates which differs from the region in which you bought your console YOU ARE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE. Sony would not make it a point to warn people about updating from another region if it wasn't possible that it could cause adverse effects such as total system breakdown.

If you imagine you want an update for an EE/GS 60GB and you download one for an emulated 60 GB (lets say from the EU) you are really taking a gamble at screwing up your system because the architecture is totally different. Some updates you may get away with but larger ones may prove to effect your system badly.

If you are downloading from your PS3 using an account of the same region you are totally safe although even then things can happen but its less likely.

Robin

I don't understand why people get upset or have a major downer on something that is FREE Sony could have just left the PS3 without any updates then we would be mighty naffed off, don't get me wrong in-game music is a big thing, but jeez let the update get out the door and let the games companies finish coding before you get all your underwear's twisted.

The bar is infinitely high for Sony. If Sony fixes one problem, the naysayers will bring up another.

Wow this update is useless

Wow, seriously? :odd:

From Wiki's PlayStation 3 System Software listing:

Currently Revealed Features in 2.40
  • Settings Changes
    • You can now set the PlayStation 3 system to turn off automatically after updating the system software.
    • [Reassign Controllers] and [Controller Vibration Function] have been added as options under [Accessory Settings].

• Game Changes
    • You can now access the (XrossMediaBar) screen while playing PlayStation 3 format software.
      • Only some of the XMB functions can be used during gameplay.
      • If you press the PS button for more than two seconds, the screen showing options to quit the game, turn off the system and other settings will be displayed.
      • The XMB screen is not displayed when you are playing PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software.
      • The XMB screen cannot be displayed when you are playing certain PlayStation 3 format software titles.
    • The procedure for quitting PlayStation 3 format software has been changed.
      (not so much changed as much as you now have multiple ways of quiting a game)
      • The traditional, PS Button method
      • The new in-game XMB Game menu method
      • Switching to another game method
    • You can now collect trophies in games that support the trophy feature.

• System Changes
    • A new "view mode" has been added to the Playstation Store
    • [Search] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet Browser.
    • The [Information] screen has been redesigned and renamed as [Profile].
    • You can now perform an Internet search directly from the XMB screen.
    • You can now see the system clock on the XMB screen. The date and time that were set under [Settings] > [Date and Time] are displayed.
    • When using a keyboard, you can now clear the entire text entry field at once.
    • An icon is now displayed when you press the PS button for an operation that cannot be performed.
    • You can now turn off the PlayStation 3 system from the XMB screen using the [Turn Off System] option.
    • The number of Friends who can be added to a Friends list has been increased from 50 to 100.
      (although supposedly this was slipped into 2.36)

• Media Changes
    • You can now sort items that are grouped in a folder by month or year using the [Film Date] option.
    • You can now print images from a playlist that was created under (Photo).
    • You can now use a mini-size control panel while playing music.
    • You can now play music content encoded in MP3 Surround format.
      • MP3 Surround can only be played in Linear PCM output.
    • You can now use the [Frame Noise Reduction] and [Block Noise Reduction] settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.
    • You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to fit the screen size.
    • Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported
    • For DTS playback on DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc media, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video and DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs are now supported.

Wow, seriously? :odd:

From Wiki's PlayStation 3 System Software listing:

Currently Revealed Features from 2.40
  • Settings Changes
    • You can now set the PlayStation 3 system to turn off automatically after updating the system software.
    • [Reassign Controllers] and [Controller Vibration Function] have been added as options under [Accessory Settings].

• Game Changes
    • You can now access the (XrossMediaBar) screen while playing PlayStation 3 format software.
      • Only some of the XMB functions can be used during gameplay.
      • If you press the PS button for more than two seconds, the screen showing options to quit the game, turn off the system and other settings will be displayed.
      • The XMB screen is not displayed when you are playing PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software.
      • The XMB screen cannot be displayed when you are playing certain PlayStation 3 format software titles.
    • The procedure for quitting PlayStation 3 format software has been changed.
    • You can now collect trophies in games that support the trophy feature.

• System Changes
    • A new "view mode" has been added to the Playstation Store
    • [Search] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet Browser.
    • The [Information] screen has been redesigned and renamed as [Profile].
    • You can now perform an Internet search directly from the XMB screen.
    • You can now see the system clock on the XMB screen. The date and time that were set under [Settings] > [Date and Time] are displayed.
    • When using a keyboard, you can now clear the entire text entry field at once.
    • An icon is now displayed when you press the PS button for an operation that cannot be performed.
    • You can now turn off the PlayStation 3 system from the XMB screen using the [Turn Off System] option.
    • The number of Friends who can be added to a Friends list has been increased from 50 to 100.

• Media Changes
    • You can now sort items that are grouped in a folder by month or year using the [Film Date] option.
    • You can now print images from a playlist that was created under (Photo).
    • You can now use a mini-size control panel while playing music.
    • You can now play music content encoded in MP3 Surround format.
      • MP3 Surround can only be played in Linear PCM output.
    • You can now use the [Frame Noise Reduction] and [Block Noise Reduction] settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.
    • You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to fit the screen size.
    • Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported
    • For DTS playback on DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc media, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video and DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs are now supported.

Wow not so useless now missed the 100 people for friends list that's really helpful with GT5P I had to start deleting drivers who I thought were dormant among other things.

Thanks for all the info

EDIT: I'm starting to look around is there is alot of extra things with the PSN, great. I guess I messed up in getting false hopes for in game music with every game and when my false hopes didn't turn out to be true I just trashed 2.4

Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported

Now that one came in the back door, upscalling of standard def content on BR has been missing for a while (the only thing my HD-DVD player did that my PS3 didn't), going to have to try that out later.

👍

Scaff

anyone else had problems after the update?
my 40gb ps3 wont read any disc now :(
not even a cd all i get is the little round loading icon in the top corner
it was working fine when i installed it and tested a few games
but after i turned it off i went to play some cod4 and it wont work now
i hope tesco exchange it or ill be having fun with sony

Now that one came in the back door, upscalling of standard def content on BR has been missing for a while (the only thing my HD-DVD player did that my PS3 didn't), going to have to try that out later.

👍

Scaff

Yeh I noticed that too earlier on on the official site while downloading it for my uncle. I just hope it works as good as its supposed to.

wow am I the only one who has trouble updating? cause after I updated my PS3 to fw 2.40 it's now completely broken... the thing wouldn't load to the XMB menu and my ps3 controller wouldn't connect...

anyone else had problems after the update?
my 40gb ps3 wont read any disc now :(
not even a cd all i get is the little round loading icon in the top corner
it was working fine when i installed it and tested a few games
but after i turned it off i went to play some cod4 and it wont work now
i hope tesco exchange it or ill be having fun with sony

:nervous: 2 mess up's in one day.... I hope your seeing this D-N, russian roulette indeed!

I hope you guys can sort it out... maybe try a system restore, I think that sorted someones PS3 here....

Robin

PS3 won't update. It says that the latest version - 2.36 - is already installed. Internet connection is working perfectly.

But they are entirely separate problems, 2.36 "caused" some PS3's to fail, but it's really just the BD laser for Smokey.

So, to smokey, I'm afraid you'll have to send it in.

Edit: @ Kikie, apparently it's been taken down, so "Extreme Car"s problem was actually the update itself, you might can still get the update off of Sony's website.

From,
Chris.

Good they removed the update... we may see a 2.41 appear in a couple of days hopefully.

:nervous: 2 mess up's in one day.... I hope your seeing this D-N, russian roulette indeed!
Indeed implies you know for a fact it is a random event... and Russian roulette implies it is highly likely to happen (1 out of 6 chambers).

Nether has been proven to be the case, and interestingly enough, the few cases that have come up have been outside the US, and no mention of SKU numbers or what region the PS3 was sold for and what region they may have accidentally downloaded the update from. In fact, as far as we know it may be an issue that is specifically to do with the update itself and not how it was downloaded.

Now if by Russian Roulette, you mean people who don’t know what they are doing and who are updating their system software from a different region than their PS3... then that's probably true, but originally you were implying anyone who updates their PS3 system software via the PS3, as well as via WiFi was simply playing Russian Roulette... and there is no evidence at all that supports that.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with being a random event. I know I have received all 26 system updates via the PS3 using the WiFi connection without a single problem what so ever. I also bought my parents a PS3 and they do all the updates via the PS3 and WiFi without any issues at all (and they have a terrible WiFi connection at their house due to the location of the PS3 and the router). I also know that no one among my HT buddies, of which about a dozen own a PS3 and update via the PS3, have ever had any issues with any update.

I hope you guys can sort it out... maybe try a system restore, I think that sorted someones PS3 here....

👍

tried the system restore after backing loads up on usb
and still the same problem
most people i read about have been told they will get replacements
so i dont know if a new fw will fix it
only had my ps3 since last october and its dead already :(

Well I would like to point out that I update via the PS3 and have never experienced any probelms (Kiss of death? Hopefully not). It's a shame so many probelms have happened to fellow members here and it's even more saddening to hear that so many more people's PS3's have been killed today. Such ashame for a update which really wanted to offer a new important direction with the PS3, rather than to cause probelms.

Back