Playstation 3 System Update Thread

what the.... :irked:

geez i keep telling people that they cant add me because if the restrictions lol
Well, it's only been like a week. You can't have lost that many new friends.

I like how Sony makes it sound liek it was part of 2.4 when the blogosphere has clearly called it out as already being there.

Well, it's only been like a week. You can't have lost that many new friends.

I like how Sony makes it sound like it was part of 2.4 when the blogosphere has clearly called it out as already being there.

Ohh i don't know I'm quite a guy, lots of people want to be a PSN buddy of mine. :lol:

I wonder why Sony don't give a clear and concise rundown of what actually makes it into the updates, as upping the friends list to me is a big thing. Ahh well at least now I know. Thanks again for the heads up. 👍

I wonder why Sony don't give a clear and concise rundown of what actually makes it into the updates, as upping the friends list to me is a big thing. Ahh well at least now I know. Thanks again for the heads up. 👍
It keeps the bloggers busy. When they aren't typing about the update they are retrying every function.

Most of the time they have listed the vast majority of features added, and with so many popular websites, and even a dedicated Wiki listing for the PS3 System Software Updates detailing most of the added features and fixes, perhaps they may not even feel there is much of a need to provide more than what is already out there.

However I agree that it would be nice if Sony would release every detail about an update, and for each region.

In the mean time here are some useful links:

It keeps the bloggers busy. When they aren't typing about the update they are retrying every function.

Well its nice they do this but geez they must get bored of trying to discover this stuff, or is it me just been lazy. :dopey:

Most of the time they have listed the vast majority of features added, and with so many popular websites, and even a dedicated Wiki listing for the PS3 System Software Updates detailing most of the added features and fixes, perhaps they may not even feel there is much of a need to provide more than what is already out there.

However I agree that it would be nice if Sony would release every detail about an update, and for each region.

In the mean time here are some useful links:

Thanks for the list DN I must admit my web surfing habits are somewhat limited, I use this website as my homepage and mainstay for information and fun, and use only three other sites for other information and one of those is my e-mail, so for me the information Sony put up on the blogs that FK mentioned and the wiki you have said then I tend to miss it unless its posted here.

:indiff:
People usually run away from me

:guilty::(:nervous:

:ouch:

Ohh I've added people on this forum and they just seem to ignore my invitation sometimes. :lol:

haha

Hey, now since you can Play games, and see you're friends list at the same time. After doing a race in GT5P, you can add somone that you had a great race with. No more looking for pen and paper, getting out of you're cockpit and trying to remeber the name you race somone with. All you have to do is press PS button after a race, and quickly write his name and send! No more quitting the game!

Hey, now since you can Play games, and see you're friends list at the same time. After doing a race in GT5P, you can add somone that you had a great race with. No more looking for pen and paper, getting out of you're cockpit and trying to remeber the name you race somone with. All you have to do is press PS button after a race, and quickly write his name and send! No more quitting the game!

I often use the Players Met feature to do this, for some of the same reasons you mentioned. Not only am I not great at remembering someone's ID, but especially when they have fairly random letter and or number combinations in their ID, or odd spelling variations.

The only draw back to the Players Met feature is that I have found not all games support it... which quite frankly doesn't make much sense to me. :ouch:

Even with the upcoming in-game XMB, as long as a game supports the Players Met option, I'll continue to first use that, as it saves the time of having to also type in their IDs. 👍

Oh but I am talking about Gran Turismo 5, Once you play onine, somehow the PLAYERS met list will not show up for me.
But yeah for other games, it does save time if it is compatible.

Oh but I am talking about Gran Turismo 5, Once you play online, somehow the PLAYERS met list will not show up for me.
But yeah for other games, it does save time if it is compatible.

Yeh also RR doesn't show people you have played either, and as I play against allot of people from Asia their PSN ID's are hard to remember.

The Playstation Blog has a Firmware v2.40 FAQ posted by Eric Lempel Director, PlayStation Network Operations:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/30/firmware-v240-faq/

Hi again! It’s great to see the positive reaction to the unveiling of system software update v2.40. We can’t wait for you to finally go hands-on with XMB access in-game and the Trophy system – and it’s less than 2 days away. Not surprisingly, a number of you have posed questions both here and on other forums. Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions.

Will voice-messaging/private chat be featured in 2.40 as well? If not, can we expect to see this feature added in the future?

We are evaluating the opportunity to offer voice chat, but for this update, we wanted to focus on text messaging as the key priority for communications that our users have asked for.

Can you use the web browser in game?

No, you must exit the game before browsing the internet.

Will In-Game XMB come up during playback of PS2 games, Blu-Ray discs, and DVDs?

The XMB is an exclusive feature for PS3 game titles. Accessing the XMB during gameplay was the top request from our users, which we focused on for this update. However, we continually engage PS3 owners for feedback and will evaluate the opportunity to offer XMB access during movie playback in the future.

Can we go to the display settings and change anything there in-game (resolution, input, etc)?

No, you must exit the game before changing these settings.

Will it be possible to change in-game the sound output?

Yes, sound output changes are supported.

Will we be able to access the PLAYSTATION Store while in-game?

No, but you can view your downloads in progress.

Will we be able to stream music (either via media server or USB drive) for custom soundtracks or is it relegated to music stored on the HDD?

Currently only music stored on the HDD is accessible in games that support this feature. We’d also like to reiterate that Firmware v2.40 merely enables custom soundtracks. It’s up to developers to include this feature in upcoming games (or to patch existing ones).

Does 2.4 enable cross game invites? Will it down the line?

No, cross-game invites are not available in this system software update. We are evaluating opportunities to expand on the new features delivered in 2.40.

Will trophies be mandatory for all games release here on out?

We are working with developers to ensure that Trophies are supported across the board in the future.

Where is each player’s trophy stat info held? I am going to upgrade my hard drive and I don’t know if the trophies will still be on my account if I earn some and then get a new hard drive.

Trophies will be attached to users’ PSN ID. Trophy data needs to be synchronized to the online account on PSN to be transferred to the new PS3 system.

Will the patch automatically allocate unlocked trophies according to your saved files or would you have to do it again?

No, Trophies aren’t retroactive.

Can we view PSN profiles/Trophies from a PC using a Web browser? Will there be an API for web developers to access the PSN data, so online profiles can be created?

We’re evaluating these opportunities to expand where Trophies can be experienced.

Can you only compare trophies with friends that are online?

As long as a friend has a PSN account, you can compare trophies with them regardless of their online status.

Is there a limit to how many trophies the devs can put set by Sony?

There’s not a limit on number of trophies, but there’s a value assigned to each trophy. Developers must balance out the trophies that are available to stay within an overall value based on whether the game is considered large-scope or small-scope. Essentially, a user that has unlocked every trophy in one game would have the same level as a user that unlocked every trophy in another title, all titles (depending on scope) have the same overall impact on a users’ level.

Will new games have a cool little icon on the back saying “trophy compatible?”

We’re currently working on how Trophy support will be messaged to the consumer on our software packaging.

When you get a trophy, does it make a noise?

Currently, no. How quickly things can change - there *will* be a sound effect when you unlock a Trophy.

What is Eric’s favorite cheese?

Mozzarella

Once again, we will continue to evaluate opportunities to enhance the PLAYSTATION 3’s system software throughout the console’s life cycle. Consumer feedback has contributed greatly to the contents of Firmware v2.40, and continues to be appreciated. Don’t forget, this Firmware will be available for download on July 2nd.
While these aren't all answers I wanted to hear (no voice chat? :() I do think this shows a couple of important things.

1) Sony execs are talking to consumers.
2) FINALLY, I know what his favorite cheese is! I've been asking for a year now. aka Sony Execs have a sense of humor and aren't afraid to show it in public.

This seems to answer much of our ponderings on this site.

I don't quite understand one thing....

If I just turn in game music off and play a song through the XMB isnt that already "custom sountracks"? Why does it have to be developer enabled?

Robin

Robin, when they say Developer enabled they mean IN game music, not background music. Think of it like playing GTA4 and you hear music in car on radio station that is your custom soundtrack. While Background music is only playing non stop in background in car or not.

If I just turn in game music off and play a song through the XMB isnt that already "custom sountracks"? Why does it have to be developer enabled?

Robin
If it isn't developer enabled it may tell you that you need to quit the game first, as the game is currently in control of the sound output. I think the developer just basically has to tell the game to allow the OS to interfere.

Just a guess though.

Oh I see, because I thought that you could just play music from the XMB and have whatever left over from the games audio playing aswell.... apparently this isnt in case and dual audio sources cannot be done.. awww. :indiff: I guess that means it wont work with a lot of older titles...

Pft! The Cell and all the bloody power in the world and it can't play music and game at the same time! :sly:

Robin

Thanks for the update FK. 👍

Will voice-messaging/private chat be featured in 2.40 as well? If not, can we expect to see this feature added in the future?

We are evaluating the opportunity to offer voice chat, but for this update, we wanted to focus on text messaging as the key priority for communications that our users have asked for.

This is what I suspected... and hope they add in-game voice chat, as this would be a more convenient option, as it would allow you to even play a game while chatting with a friend, where as with text messaging you have to stop... and it takes a lot longer to have a discussion over text messaging than voice.

Will we be able to access the PLAYSTATION Store while in-game?

No, but you can view your downloads in progress.

Well there goes the idea of checking for updates with out having to quit and re-start a game... although I can also see why it may be problematic to try and be running the PlayStation Store app and a game at the same time, especially with some of the more processor hungry games.

In fact, this is probably also why we won't be able to open the web browser while playing a game as well.

Overall, no real surprises, and like FK said, it's nice to continue to see high level Sony reps and developers not only paying close attention to their customers, but taking the time to communicate with them on a fairly regular basis. 👍

One question I do have though is about this co-called "Cross Game Invites":

Does 2.4 enable cross game invites? Will it down the line?

No, cross-game invites are not available in this system software update. We are evaluating opportunities to expand on the new features delivered in 2.40.

What is that exactly? Just a guess, but is that when you are playing one game, and inviting someone to join you who is currently playing a different game?

If so, I don’t get what the problem is. As long as you both can use the in-game text message option, all you have to do is send them a message inviting them to play a different game. If they say yes, they can simply quit the game they are playing and start the game that they are being invited to play.

Sure, I suppose it might be a little faster if there was an option to automatically quit and start the game that you are being invited to play, but if the game is on a disc, this would not even be possible any way, as you would have to remove and insert each game disc first.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

What is that exactly? Just a guess, but is that when you are playing one game, and inviting someone to join you who is currently playing a different game?

If so, I don’t get what the problem is. As long as you both can use the in-game text message option, all you have to do is send them a message inviting them to play a different game. If they say yes, they can simply quit the game they are playing and start the game that they are being invited to play.

Sure, I suppose it might be a little faster if there was an option to automatically quit and start the game that you are being invited to play, but if the game is on a disc, this would not even be possible any way, as you would have to remove and insert each game disc first.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.
I know in Rock Band when you get an invite it is actually slightly different than say a message and you can only invite people who are currently playing Rock Band.

But as you said, sending a general text message that says, "Wanna play Rock Band?" will get the job done. But when they then get into Rock Band you have to send the invite to actually have them jump in your band.

Not having cross-game invites basically means one extra step on your part.

Oh I see, because I thought that you could just play music from the XMB and have whatever left over from the games audio playing aswell.... apparently this isnt in case and dual audio sources cannot be done.. awww. :indiff: I guess that means it wont work with a lot of older titles...

Pft! The Cell and all the bloody power in the world and it can't play music and game at the same time! :sly:

Robin

I remember that in the demo video he was playing music from the XMB and the game sounds were still going on.

I remember that in the demo video he was playing music from the XMB and the game sounds were still going on.

*head explodes*

Its like different things are being said from everywhere :scared: but I do hope its as simple as BGM off and XMB music on....

Robin

*head explodes*

Its like different things are being said from everywhere :scared: but I do hope its as simple as BGM off and XMB music on....

Robin

That was in Pixel Junk Monsters, which IIRC will be the the first game to feature custom soundtracks, as they've already got the code ready.

No other games will do this on launch though, but I read somewhere that it's only half a days work for the devs to fix, as Sony's already provided the code.

From,
Chris.

Robin

Good question, and a possiable answer is down to something many people wrote off as an April Fools day joke (as it was first reported at the end of March and some sites then carried the story on the 1st April), that Microsoft have a patent registered in the US that covers playing custom soundtracks launched from the OS when in-game.

The original story - http://www.ripten.com/2008/03/31/microsoft-owns-patent-for-in-game-custom-soundtracks/

The Patent details - http://www.google.com/patents?id=mx93AAAAEBAJ&dq=gaming+soundtrack

and

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/6981918

The Patent pdf - http://www.google.com/patents/pdf/M...ut=pdf&sig=ACfU3U3f8w_oZzbHzegua_V03DtZt9B3Aw

All of which means sony can't have an in-game music player that runs from the OS, as it would require a licence from MS. Getting a section of code from the game itself to launch it gets around that problem, as now the OS isn't launching the music, the game is.

Regards

Scaff

Good question, and a possiable answer is down to something many people wrote off as an April Fools day joke (as it was first reported at the end of March and some sites then carried the story on the 1st April), that Microsoft have a patent registered in the US that covers playing custom soundtracks launched from the OS when in-game.

The original story - http://www.ripten.com/2008/03/31/microsoft-owns-patent-for-in-game-custom-soundtracks/

The Patent details - http://www.google.com/patents?id=mx93AAAAEBAJ&dq=gaming+soundtrack

and

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/6981918

The Patent pdf - http://www.google.com/patents/pdf/M...ut=pdf&sig=ACfU3U3f8w_oZzbHzegua_V03DtZt9B3Aw

All of which means sony can't have an in-game music player that runs from the OS, as it would require a licence from MS. Getting a section of code from the game itself to launch it gets around that problem, as now the OS isn't launching the music, the game is.

Regards

Scaff

Amazing how such a common idea can be patented at times...Better get to suing Apple and developers of audio players for computers since you can keep those running and play a game simultaneously. :rolleyes:

Amazing how such a common idea can be patented at times...Better get to suing Apple and developers of audio players for computers since you can keep those running and play a game simultaneously. :rolleyes:
I know, the patent is ridiculous. However, M$'s patent specifically involves game consoles. A Macintosh is not a game console. In Excite Truck for the Wii, which allows you to play music from an SD card, they got around the patent because it specifies playing music from a hard disk drive.

Sony's way around the patent is for the OS to request that the game plays the music. If a game isn't prepared for the OS to ask it to play music, it won't work. Hence pre-2.40 games not supporting the feature without patching.

IMO, Sony should not worry about the patent. After all, the PS3 isn't a game console, it's a "Computer Entertainment System". ;)
I'm sure that such a measly argument would fly in court, considering how absurd Microsoft's patent is...

EDIT: If they don't want to risk doing something like that, I just thought of a way around the patent that should theoretically allow custom soundtracks on all games. Instead of the OS playing the music, or the OS requesting that the game play the music, why not have the OS start an independant process that plays the music? I mean, there's an SPE on the Cell which games cannot utilize. Surely that could run a process which plays music off the hard drive? And to ensure that this process isn't considered a part of the OS, make it a downloadable app of the Playstation Store.

Back