Playstation 3 System Update Thread

:indiff: Yes they will.
Anyone knows if GT5P will have these featrures? Or only FULL GT5 game?

Unfortunately I don't know. They used Prologue in their video demonstration of in-game XMB, so I bet it'll have in-game music. As for trophies... that's a little more doubtful.

I wish they'd post a list of compatible titles...

They only show few games like Warhawk, Reistance 2, etc.
So no info on GT5P... I'm guessing FULL GT5 release will have that feature.
So no Private rooms in GT5P yet, but now since you can open up your buddy list, and send mail/invites, you can tell you're buddy while playing GT5P to meet him in 2 minutes on Suzuka 600PP, or Fuji 750, etc :). This feature alone will bring GTPlanet players bit closer together for good racing.

Can Sony finally get respect for listening to consumers (us)?
Nope. Now it becomes, "Way to do something that should have been there all along" or "Now Sony is copying XBox" comments.

Never mind that it was asked for, because now it is copying.

And Sony was trying to be developer friendly by allowing them these options. Custom soundtracks were always up to developers and I know at least Rock Band has allowed some access to the Friends List.

This has all been there, just not on the user end, because it allowed developers to not need to design their code to allow it.

I see this as Sony trying to be developer friendly in order to give us the best of both worlds, but the developers did not play consumer friendly so Sony had to intervene and do it.

I give full props to Sony for choosing consumers over developers when it became obvious the developers weren't working to give consumers what they want.

WooHoo! Thats only wednesday! I can't wait to play my games while listening to my favorite tracks!!

Trophy time!

And Sony was trying to be developer friendly by allowing them these options. Custom soundtracks were always up to developers and I know at least Rock Band has allowed some access to the Friends List.

Everybody's Golf allowed friends list access, but I am glad I have direct access now, I just wish they would up the amount of people allowed on the list.

Everybody's Golf allowed friends list access, but I am glad I have direct access now, I just wish they would up the amount of people allowed on the list.

2.38 made it 100.

They snuck that in.

Actually, according to PS3Fanboy, no games will support the in-game-music-from-the-XMB upon it's launch. Although I'm hoping it'll be easier to patch, so the Devs can code it in.

OK!!!!! *Slaps Robin.*
[IRC Style]
/me slaps Robin. with a trout.
[/IRC Style]

From,
Chris.

Like I said, according to PS3Fanboy, not that it was official word from Sony, although apparently they got the facts from Sony.

PS3Fanboy
You also will not be able to use music from your hard drive, unless the game is specifically programed to take advantage of the feature. Unfortunately, no games will be able to take advantage of in-game custom soundtracks when the firmware update goes live. (However, future games and game patches can enable this feature. It depends on whether or not the developer chooses to include it in their game.)

From,
Chris.

I give full props to Sony for choosing consumers over developers when it became obvious the developers weren't working to give consumers what they want.
👍

I like the idea of having a direct internet search option. Currently I have Google as my homepage for the PS3 browser, but this is even more convenient. 👍

Although having an in-game custom music option is not a big deal for me, I do like that they also added a nice popup menu for quickly controlling and adjusting the custom music you have selected. 👍

The in-game XMB feature I can see using the most is the ability to quickly read and respond to messages from those on your friend's list. However, one thing I noticed is that so far there has been no mention of being able to chat with a friend via XMB while in-game.

The other thing I noticed right away was the categories that showed up on the screen when he selected the Accessory Settings menu at about the 3-min mark in the 2.4 demo part 1 video.

It appears they have added two new options to that menu that have never been mentioned in any of the articles speculating on what 2.4 will offer, nor mentioned in these video demos from Sony:
  • Reassign Controllers
  • Controller Vibration Function
These appear to be the same options currently found in the Controller Settings menu available during a game when you press the PS button on a controller and select "Controller Settings".

I'm not exactly sure why you would need these options available in the XMB when not in a game. However, I'm also not opposed to having more options available.

Speaking of the Accessory Settings menu, I noticed that while in the demo Eric Lempel showed how we will have in-game access to this menu, what he never showed or mentioned is whether or not we will still only be able to register one audio Bluetooth device at a time... which really bites if you own and use multiple Bluetooth headsets.

DSCN1620.jpg

:ouch:

As for the updated profile and trophy support. As far as I could tell the profile options have not really changed. We have always had the option of adding *"About Me" info and listing up to three different languages we can speak in our profiles:

DSCN1618.jpg

*The issue I have with the current profile, and judging by what I saw in the video it still exists, is that we are limited to just 20 characters in the "About Me" window, which severely limits what you can say.

While I am not easily convinced that "trophies", like achievements will interest me much, I have to admit it does look like an interesting option. I especially liked how you will be able to compare detailed trophy lists with other users, thus making it easier to identify a user that has managed to accomplish something in a game that I might be struggling with. I could then send them a message requesting tips on that set of challenges. 👍

I also hope developers expand on this feature by coming up with some really interesting looking trophies, thus adding a little more incentive to the player to see what a particular trophy might look like... although considering that Sony has emphasized that these are "2-D" trophies, perhaps they are saving the really interesting looking and possibly 3-D animated trophies for use with Home.

Got some confirmation.

It's not that the game will require a 'patch' to support Custom Soundtracks, just that the game will need a patch to tell the XMB if it can or cannot run. Basically, it depends on how much memory the game uses. Pixel Junk Monsters should be getting the patch soon.

No word on anything else though :(

Got some confirmation.

It's not that the game will require a 'patch' to support Custom Soundtracks, just that the game will need a patch to tell the XMB if it can or cannot run. Basically, it depends on how much memory the game uses. Pixel Junk Monsters should be getting the patch soon.

Well, that's good, I'm hoping IW and PD patch their respective games soon.

Anyway, I'm really glad for the in-game-messaging, because I've got one friend (a moderator on another forum) that seems to message me every time I enter the game, :lol:

From,
Chris.

Nice, nice. I really hope It'll allow me to play music stored on a remote media server.

Even if it doesn't, I have actually found that seeing as it is extremely easy and fast to copy songs from my desktop to the PS3, and seeing as with the PS3 XMB, you can manage, sort, and create custom playlists, more often then not, I simply copy the music I want to listen to directly to the PS3's HDD. If your HDD is very full, you can also just as easily delete the songs when you are done. 👍

I appear to have been forced to downlaod a new system update, I can't imagine it being 2.4 as its not meant to be ready yet. I forgot to check which version it is though. I am preatty sure I already had the 'latest' update already. Is there a way to check which update version I have after the download?

I appear to have been forced to downlaod a new system update, I can't imagine it being 2.4 as its not meant to be ready yet. I forgot to check which version it is though. I am preatty sure I already had the 'latest' update already. Is there a way to check which update version I have after the download?

Yeah, go to System Settings > System Information.

It should be 2.36 but it's always good to check :P

Once it's downloaded, go to the settings section, then system settings, then to system information (second from the bottom IIRC)

Edit: T'reed. and I T'reed D-N, :lol:

From,
Chris.

Yes.

Go to the Settings menu, then scroll down and select the System Settings menu, then scroll down and select System Information. 👍

I can't begin to stress enough on how easy and informative Sony's online System Software User Guide is to search for answers to just about any question regarding the XMB.

I like the idea of having a direct internet search option. Currently I have Google as my homepage for the PS3 browser, but this is even more convenient. 👍
In a week my PSP has yet to actually have this featured used, but the PS3 may get more use out of it.

It appears they have added two new options to that menu that have never been mentioned in any of the articles speculating on what 2.4 will offer, nor mentioned in these video demos from Sony:
  • Reassign Controllers
  • Controller Vibration Function
These appear to be the same options currently found in the Controller Settings menu available during a game when you press the PS button on a controller and select "Controller Settings".

I'm not exactly sure why you would need these options available in the XMB when not in a game. However, I'm also not opposed to having more options available.
Because having my controller assigned as 2 or 3 just because my Rock Band peripherals or DFP are plugged in when I did a restart annoys my minor case of OCD. Otherwise, yeah it isn't much more useful than before.

I think that as hitting the PS button doesn't just give you that menu anymore, and instead goes to the XMB, they had to move it to the settings menu though.

As for the updated profile and trophy support. As far as I could tell the profile options have not really changed. We have always had the option of adding *"About Me" info and listing up to three different languages we can speak in our profiles:

DSCN1618.jpg

*The issue I have with the current profile, and judging by what I saw in the video it still exists, is that we are limited to just 20 characters in the "About Me" window, which severely limits what you can say.
Same thing, new face.

Got some confirmation.

On the PAIN! blog someone asked about this in the comments and they said they are always working to make PAIN! work with OS changes. I doubt this is a huge rush though as they did just add a jukebox feature in the game.

Even if it doesn't, I have actually found that seeing as it is extremely easy and fast to copy songs from my desktop to the PS3, and seeing as with the PS3 XMB, you can manage, sort, and create custom playlists, more often then not, I simply copy the music I want to listen to directly to the PS3's HDD. If your HDD is very full, you can also just as easily delete the songs when you are done. 👍
Yeah, I started out with the idea that I would only use my remote server for videos and music, but then slowly but surely things started getting copied over. Now I have a whole list of stuff.

I think that as hitting the PS button doesn't just give you that menu anymore, and instead goes to the XMB, they had to move it to the settings menu though.

Very good point... although if this is the case, it means turning off a controller won't be nearly as convenient as before. No big deal though, just an observation. :)

Burnout Paradise has been confirmed to be getting the patch to run in-game XMB Music. (See the thread for more details)

Neat. Currently with 2.40 all you have to do during a game is press PS button, and you got your music. Why Do i need Game options to do that? I think it works well since on loading times you wont hear music, only during game play. Or they could have a separate RADIO channel in GTA4, that way you don't have to turn off radio.

Neat. Currently with 2.40 all you have to do during a game is press PS button, and you got your music. Why Do i need Game options to do that? I think it works well since on loading times you wont hear music, only during game play. Or they could have a separate RADIO channel in GTA4, that way you don't have to turn off radio.

I'm thinking the reason devs have to code it special, is because of the game's original soundtrack, which will overlap with the music, creating a not so pleasurable sound. I believe that Sony wants it where it'll turn off the game's soundtrack, but keep the vocals and such (Like CoD4 wouldn't be the same game, in single player atleast, without the speech)

From,
Chris.

Yeah,agree. In some games the Background music from XMB won't work well for your ears. For some like Gran Turismo, it will work well.

Back