GTR > Gran Turismo Reviews > Scion FR-S

• Thread starter uMadson?
  • 411 comments
I never knew XD just knew about the photographer part and was planning to tell you to cancel it. But if i'm doing pics of my own review it's okay.

Now it's time for some suggestions from the public for the review!

MP4-12C vs 458 Italia comparo..?

Requests are now open, since Zach says so :lol:

Thank you OP for changing the title :D (< ew that smiley is ugly)

And since you're the only one who asked for it, you're the one who'll choose which request to do. :P

So enough of the little banter, and dear GTP'ers, tell us what you want!

Yep. Post all of your requests! Though not the 458 vs MP4-12C though, we are already planning something. :)

Triple post. Mods are gonna be angry :(

G.T.R - Mazda RX-8 Type S '07

Requested by Moontallico.

Specifications

Engine Displacement - 654cc x 2
Max Power – 241hp/8500rpm
Weight – 1310kg
PP – 425
Max Torque – 156 ft-lb/600rpm
Drivetrain – FR
Power/Weight ratio – 5.34 kg /hp
Tyres – Comfort Soft
Price -28,980 cr

Now let's start reviewing the car!

Aesthetics​

The new RX-8 looks... well, okay. I wouldn't say it's very beautiful but at least it doesn't look like a Fiat 500 which in my holy opinion is the ugliest car ever. It's actually better than what I expected. It looks better than the predecessor, the RX7, all three types of it. I never liked the flip up headlamps of the RX7 FD. Though I did like the FC and the SA/FB though...

Performance

The open road. No speed limits. Just put your foot down on the accelerator!

It's reasonable. It's slower than the RX7 FD which actually could be a great car but ruined by the looks. It's heavier too by 40 kilograms and I can sense it in the handling. It's average and maybe that's the result of too many X2010 driving. Luckily, we have the tuning shop to help. :)

Handling

One of the many hurdles of a great car. How will the RX8 perform in this category?

It's alright. With the stock tyres of Comfort Soft, the car is quite tailhappy. I used aids and if I drove a little wild, it just slid like butter on hot toast. Combine the performance and handling of the RX8 and you get a rather average car really. It would be slower than the RX7 everywhere. Oh well, that's just the sad truth.​

Verdict

It's an average car like I said. 241 Japanese horses and 1310 kg of weight... well, it's just slower than the RX7. I remember I heard somewhere that as new models come out, it'll still be faster than the old model. Well, unknown source, your information is wrong. It's cheap though, and I could see why it's popular with the drifters. Sorry Mazda, but the RX8 doesn't cut it for me. There are many things that you guys could have done to the RX8 to make it better. So, my rating will be 6.0 - Average.

But if you like the RX8, fret not! GTPlanet's Tuning Forum is here to help! Many garages have released many tunes for the RX8. GTPlanet's GT5 Tuning Forum

So what do you guys think? My first review. Thank you for your feedback and requests are still being taken! :)

So what do you guys think? My first review. Thank you for your feedback and requests are still being taken! :)
Ok, thanks! 👍
It was entertaining to read :P
I have to say, I love all the Wankel engine cars, but this is one of my favourites, and I've beaten a lot of RX-7s with it! In my humble opinion, this car does suffer from oversteer, but with a good tune this car can become much better! I spent some time tuning it in the Nürburgring and now it handles perfectly for nearly every track and competition. I will also add that I've beaten the A-Spec Super GT races and the Nürb 4 hours endurance race with it, by a quite large margin :D
Anyway, I did like the review, good job! :)
And If you don't mind, I would also like to see a review for the RX-7 :P

Last edited:
FC or FD? Do know that I only take Premiums though. And how do you seriously beat an RX7? My FD is 586 hp and 1150kg if I remember correctly!

FC or FD? Do know that I only take Premiums though. And how do you seriously beat an RX7? My FD is 586 hp and 1150kg if I remember correctly!

Any of the FDs.
I beat'em with a lot of practice :P
My RX-8 is 550 hp (beause of the stock exhaust) and 1085kg. Can do Nürburgring in 6:49:650 (lap with some mistakes, can probably do better)!
If you want to add me to do a race or two be my guest! Should be interesting :)

The Killer Blue from the Land of the Rising Sun
The Impreza 22B. Arguably the greatest of Subaru&#8217;s Imprezas. Which is saying a lot. With 300hp and weighing a mere 1270kg, it&#8217;s no slouch. And with its 4WD and grippy tyres, it just devours the corners, always hitting the apex with only a hint of under and oversteer. This is a great car. And with a lap time of 1:23.xxx around the Top Gear Test Track, it&#8217;s fast enough to humble some very serious exotica.

But there will be those who say &#8216;I could make it better&#8217;. And among this group of people, is the boys from Cone Killer Racing. They have taken one of these, and turned it into a &#8216;short track killer&#8217;.

So, what&#8217;s changed? Well, apart from being lowered, there really isn&#8217;t much difference visually. But, under the skin, it&#8217;s been fettled and lightened. Power was boosted by 75hp, and the chassis was stiffened to cope, to name a few of the changes. And the result is nothing short of amazing. The traditional 22B sideways-ness is gone, and in its place is pure grip. The sheer grip it now has makes the sports tyres it has feel like racing slicks. This really is borderline overkill in terms of grip. But it isn&#8217;t one of those Lancer Evo style &#8216;massive grip but no feel&#8217; cars, turn into a corner in this and you know where it is, you can feel this car rotate around you, and when you nail the power, you can feel the 4WD tugging it back in line, giving it the best line out of the corner as possible. It&#8217;s quite simply, brilliant. I was left literally speechless for 5 laps. The grip and go this thing has is shocking. It&#8217;s so neutral through the corners its scary. It really is rooted to the racing line. You can&#8217;t get it to deviate, there is no other car I&#8217;ve driven which handles like this. And it enables me to do something I&#8217;ve always wanted to do.

You see, cars like the 22B were built purely for homologation purposes. They have only one purpose. To serve as a shell, on which the soon-to-be-legendary-4WD rally car will be built. But, with cars like this particular 22B, I think it has the potential to put its much more developed brother to shame. This isn&#8217;t the first time I did something like this. I once did it was a tuned Citroen C4 VTS and pitted it against Loeb&#8217;s C4 WRC. And the VTS won. Just. By barely 0.5 of a second, it took the victory for tuned road cars. Let&#8217;s see how the short track killer will fair.

It&#8217;ll be put up against the 1998 Impreza Rally Car. A 22B which has been plastered with sponsors and sporting numerous rally victories under its belt. The course? Well, since the 22B&#8217;s new name is the &#8216;Short track killer&#8217;, I thought we&#8217;d go to a proper short track. Eiger Nordwand, to be precise. 3 laps, let&#8217;s see who comes out on top.

3&#8230;

2&#8230;

1&#8230;

GO!!​

We&#8217;re off, the two Sonic Blue bullets slingshotting off the line, charging down towards the first corner. Both cars are equal in PP, both on the same tyres, so it&#8217;ll be interesting to see who&#8217;ll take the lead as we enter the first corner.

Entering the first of 3 hairpins, it seems like proper tuning can overcome race car technology as the 22B in the lead! And it maintains this lead right the way through to the bridge, where the split time has already grown to 0.7 seconds.

Down, now, to the right hand sweeper, the rally car is left trailing in the wake of the 22B. Short track killer indeed, because heading through the tunnel and the high speed section, it hasn&#8217;t missed a beat, edging ahead with each corner.

The second lap was more of the same, with the 22B schooling the rally Impreza, pulling out a lead of 2.54 seconds at the final checkpoint leading into the last lap. By the time that blue streak of a 22B had returned, the gap had widened to a simply shocking 6.5 seconds. Though this wasn't too surprising considering the power and weight advantages the 22B sports, it is amazing how something that was designed for youngsters to go to the shops in can be made to shame a 150,000+ cr race car.

So there you have it, the CKR 22B short track killer. The daddy of all Imprezas given a new lease of life.

rljp8i.jpg

*Image taken from tuner because I like this shot.
&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;
Car: Subaru Impreza 22B STi &#8217;98
Tuned by: Cone Killer Racing
&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;
Specs:
Power: 374hp
Weight: 1151kg
PP: 500
Tyres: Sport soft
Link to tune: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5602467#post5602467

Great review Onboy.
I have this in my set of cars to test in the next week or so.
Really impressed to see it do so well against the Rally version. Looking forward to gettign out int this car now.

@Zach, yep it's a real shame it's a standard. There just aren't enough Premiums.

Well it has more horsepower than the rally version and ants were biting my right foot during the test (I was in the rally car). But I have to agree that the CKR 22B is no slouch. Even if I did better there, it's one hell of an Impreza. Something our Impreza-hating buddy C-ZETA would love (no wait, he likes GC Imprezas only :lol:).

Well it has more horsepower than the rally version and ants were biting my right foot during the test (I was in the rally car). But I have to agree that the CKR 22B is no slouch. Even if I did better there, it's one hell of an Impreza. Something our Impreza-hating buddy C-ZETA would love (no wait, he likes GC Imprezas only :lol:).
Excuses, excuses :lol: Anyways…important-ish announcements.
1. Laptop will be needing a fix soon (the entire right hand side of the screen is only held together by 2 wires :eek:), so that will stop reviewing for a week or two
2. Pictures will be added (slowly) to the archived stuff.

Something our Impreza-hating buddy C-ZETA would love (no wait, he likes GC Imprezas only :lol:).

Remember, it's only two specific Impreza's. One of which includes the 22B :D

I will however refuse to give my 22B any fixed parts, so alas I won't be able to test this tune. Sounds good though! :D

Remember, it's only two specific Impreza's. One of which includes the 22B :D

I will however refuse to give my 22B any fixed parts, so alas I won't be able to test this tune. Sounds good though! :D
Oh mate, for the privilege of seeing you enjoying yourself in an Impreza, I'd send you mine for that test.

Pictures will be added to some of my archived reviews today.

Edit: Pictures added.

Last edited:
I'd like to see you guys review the Alpine A310. :D

I'd like to see you guys review the Alpine A310. :D

I agree with this. I wanna see what it's like before I turn mine into my own little Misato-mobile :D

I have done a mini review for one in a MFT review. My god it was good fun! :D Might do a proper one for G.T.R if I can pick one up&#8230;

They did the A110 though, didn't they? The only one that has done an A310 is RKM.

Last edited:
Hi mate, i race in a league (raceonoz) and i will be testing the following cars which have very similar PP from the recommended list. Is always good to get a few different opinions on these things !

Dodge : Challenger SRT8 '08 490pp FR
Maserati : GranTurismo S '08 489pp FR
BMW : M3 Coupe '07 488pp FR

If possible i would be interested in knowing your thoughts on whether the close pp is accurate, or if the cars are a miss match. We race different formats over the season, with sprints and 1 stop races generally.

Hope this is possible

Thanks in advance,
Stuart

Hi mate, i race in a league (raceonoz) and i will be testing the following cars which have very similar PP from the recommended list. Is always good to get a few different opinions on these things !

If possible i would be interested in knowing your thoughts on whether the close pp is accurate, or if the cars are a miss match. We race different formats over the season, with sprints and 1 stop races generally.

Hope this is possible

Thanks in advance,
Stuart

With all 3 cars being close to 490 PP, I see no problem at all. They're all good matches.

I didn't get on a shakedown on those 3 but all I can remember is that the GranTurismo S has a snappy nature so its driver should maintain control well.

Hope this is possible

Thanks in advance,
Stuart
Since I have tomorrow off, I'll take this one. Although I might need some help with the actual race (the finale of the test), I'm going to take a punt that the finishing order will be-
1.BMW M3
2.Maserati GT
3.Dodge Challenger

Since I have tomorrow off, I'll take this one. Although I might need some help with the actual race (the finale of the test), I'm going to take a punt that the finishing order will be-
1.BMW M3
2.Maserati GT
3.Dodge Challenger

Cool, if you want join my room at any time to help test them, my psn is stuart170773. Will be very interested to see if they are close, or if the pp system is flawaed with these cars.

Cheers
Stuart

Onboy123
Oh&#133;&#133;right. Well, dupe one for me, please? :D

I shall. Once I actually receive it, my PSN just was being so stupid last night and not working :grumpy:

uMadson?
The Misatomobile? :dopey:

I'd pass it to any of my 3 boys. First come, first serve, get your chance to drive shotgun with a beautiful lady on the passenger seat :lol:

*lunges forward at the chance*

Back