GTR > Gran Turismo Reviews > Scion FR-S

• Thread starter uMadson?
  • 411 comments
I shall. Once I actually receive it, my PSN just was being so stupid last night and not working :grumpy:

*lunges forward at the chance*

You ain't even part of the thread :P

Or I'd be the one instead, since I know Misato the most in this group of 4 :lol:

Go ahead C-ZETA, I don't even care, the raving on yours will cool off anyway :P

You ain't even part of the thread :P

Or I'd be the one instead, since I know Misato the most in this group of 4 :lol:

Go ahead C-ZETA, I don't even care, the raving on yours will cool off anyway :P
Enough is enough. Really. That's half a page of spam. Just take it to VMs next time. [/serious mod voice]

Enough is enough. Really. That's half a page of spam. Just take it to VMs next time. [/serious mod voice]

Screw you and your moderator impersonations. :lol:

I'd might as well follow suit and add pictures to my archived reviews, since I kinda got the appropriate pictures and all... But with a headache, I might as well delay any of my yet-to-be-released contributions to this thread. Sucks to be sick, really :indiff:

Pardon me for the double post, gentlemen.

Apokalipse said to me a while ago that he'd be joining the gang too... So let's welcome him. Aside from the usual writing business, he'd be helping me too in getting pictures prettied up.

Pardon me for the double post, gentlemen.

Apokalipse said to me a while ago that he'd be joining the gang too... So let's welcome him. Aside from the usual writing business, he'd be helping me too in getting pictures prettied up.
So…that makes…5. 0.o two's a couple, three's a crowd, what's 5 gonna be?

So…that makes…5. 0.o two's a couple, three's a crowd, what's 5 gonna be?

Soon we'll both be the kings of the reviewing business. :sly:

Your pictures will be enhanced soonish. Now that G.T.R has a 2-man Photoshop team... 👍

The Maroon Missile of Akina…Or Not…
RKM Integra Type R ’01- (Test done online)

From the outside, this looks like a normal Intgera Type R, painted in the colour of iodine. Or crap. Whichever you want. There isn’t much spectacular about the specs, either. It has just under 350hp, just under 500PP and weighs just over a ton. It’s also sitting on the very normal sport hard rubber instead of the usual RKM sport soft and is a FF. So we should know what that means.

But surprisingly, it defies the typical understeering stereotypes. It still runs wide a little bit, but being a FF car with hardly the best weight distribution, you’d expect that. What you don’t expect though, is for the back to try and come round. IN A FF. Nor do you expect the sharpness from the steering, the immediate response from the front end, the enthusiastic feel when you corner. I haven’t driven a front engine, front wheel drive car that’s so lively! I'm going through the S-curves of Suzuka East, a section of corners almost renown for showing up understeer. But in this, there isn't hint of it. Just a lot of tail out goodness. And don’t think it has been ‘rigged’ with ballast at +50 to get the arse out. There’s no added fat here. It's just the work of an amazing setting. But that’s not the most surprising thing about this.

What’s the most surprising thing here is that everything, everything apart from the brake balance were originally sourced from other RKM settings. They were all just grafted on. You’ll recognise the diff settings from the Volvo C30RS, the suspension is a compromise setup between the Crimson R and Intgera Type R. The gearbox was tuned in the same style as the NSX Evo R and the entire tune was cobbled together by someone with exactly zero knowledge or theory on the subject of tuning. Me. In fact, 3/4 of the tune was made from other RKM bits, just turned into a Frankenstein by me and then given life by Roj. A car made like that really shouldn’t drive well.

But the end result of this coupling was amazing. People praise the Integra for being a FF NSX, and they aren’t wrong. But what this is, is a FF NSX in performance, and MX-5 in spirit. The two best feelings a car could give a driver, confidence and enthusiasm, mixed with some proper performance, bottled in an unassuming exterior. This is what a fast Honda should be like. Yes, it does make a crap of its tyres after a lap or two, yes, it’s a bit tricky to handle when it isn’t all sideways, but it’s all down to how you drive it. That is everything in a car like this. A car tuned in a different style requires a different driving method. I still haven’t quite got the hang of it yet. The best method of cornering in this that I’ve come up with is throwing the nose into a turn while keeping a bit of the brakes applied, holding the car in a sideways angle. It works. Sort of. It’s not the fastest method, but it is the most fun way of cornering in this. This isn’t just a car now, it’s another lesson in driving. It tries to get you to learn how to get the arse out in a FF and hold it there.

But not so fast with the seal of approval just yet though. You see, I had this tuned on sport hard tyres for a very good reason. The underground sport of Touge. I wanted a car which I puts fun above winning as a priority but still good enough to stick to the big guns of this little-known world. Now, I knew from the very beginning that this brown splatter wouldn’t have a hope in keeping up with the top racers there as it’s me who’s driving, but I wanted to see how good it was on computer generated tracks. So I loaded up one of my personal favourites, and brought out my 525PP punch bag. The Nissan R35. It is the very same one that I sent flying in its review. So, now that it’s back from the menders, let’s see if it can prove itself worthy of its badge in a time attack against my humble Honda. ;)
*Note- Because of the sheer length and number of corners on this track, I’ll do the lap report in sections*

Honda first. 3…2…1…GO…!!

Down to the first sector, the high speed section, there’s hints of understeer here and there, and it’s an area where the Integra doesn’t fair quite well. It doesn’t matter how much oversteer you can coax into a FF, it’ll still be controlled by physics. And physics say that in high speed turns, you’ll run wide and crap up your lap time before you’ve even properly begun. I wrestled it through, the understeer coming and going, slowly getting on my nerves.

Sector two, the low speed section. Which is where the ‘teggy should slide. But I can’t risk kicking the tail out here though, not on a time attack. That decision cost me, I couldn’t get on the power as soon as I wanted to as the understeer would get me.
Last section, a mix of the above. The Integra performs remarkable well here, surprisingly. It can get its power down with only a hint of wheelspin, the tyres seem to finally be warm enough to provide the grip the car needs and it flies through the last corner and across the line! In 03.05.627, not bad……but what time did the Nissan do it in as it crosses the line…now!

Nissan R35- 3.03.063

Ah…crap. But hey, 2.5 seconds isn’t that bad considering that the R35 is 4WD and has 100hp more. And bear in mind, the 2.5 second loss was against a R35.

Anyywayyys, moving on from that mild disappointment, summing up this Integra. It does pretty much what I hoped it would do. It's almost tuned according to my little belief. A fast car that's not fun isn't half as good as a slower one which is. And this is one representation of that. Not tuned to be victorious first and foremost, but rather to be fun first, and victorious hopefully.

-----------------------------------
Honda/Acura Integra Type R
Tuned by: RKM Motorsports
–––––––––––––––––––––––––------
Specs:
[confidential until released]

Last edited:
Heads up again for things to come. A lot. All supercar material, all have somewhat legendary status in the car and GT5 world.

End of announcement. :D

The Godfather of Bulls: RKM Countach LP400 "El Toro Diablo"

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_4.jpg

A man pulled his seat and sat down. He sipped a moderate amount of Red Bull and placed the can on the desk before moving the cozy office chair a bit forward. His name is VTiRoj, a guy that's been in the top of the tuning business with RKM Motorsports, his tuning garage which is ran with a good friend of his.

He checked through his e-mails and saw a few unread messages. One of them was from a loyal customer who had RKM as his preferred tuning garage since he first had a car tuned. Roj then clicked that message, and its content follows:

----------------------------------

To: VTiRoj
Subject: RKM Countach LP400 "El Toro Diablo"

I haven't written a single word in ages. I've been through numbers and words in my entire hiatus. People keep whining at me for all the procrastination I have done. I only have companions to cling to in case I'm very bored. Some from school, but most of them from the internet. That doesn't mean I'm anti-social though, in fact I'm also getting along with my real life friends very well and I'm trying to have a social life for once. And speaking of companions, there's this one that opened my eyes pretty wide...

Ever since I got this Countach, I had no idea what to do with it. It is wild. It is angry. I bought this with some of my hard-earned money and got this car fully-tuned for the annual Historic Race Car Cup but failed miserably finishing dead last. I was just waiting for the time I knew someone who has a historic sword to borrow. It took me a while to be acquainted with this wealthy man who owns a Jaguar XJ13. Back to the Countach, I tried tuning it's transmission for Route 7. Looks promising, having reached a top speed somewhere above 340 km/h, but it wasn't enough for me. Then I thought, why couldn't Roj get his hands on such a beast... And then I had it painted red, getting rid of the queer pale yellow color it came with when I first got my hands on this beaut.

Weeks has passed, your hard work invested in this vehicle now finished and ready to shine, you then threw the keys I caught with a single hand when I payed you guys a visit. You then told me to test this somewhere and report how the car behaves after the tune-up. I gladly took a trip to California to drive in one of my favorite playgrounds - Laguna Seca.

The archaic V12 rumbles and the titanium exhaust drops the bass. I rev it up and it shrieks - the exhaust note is a tad obnoxious, it doesn't sound anything like a formula car. You could have used a better-sounding titanium exhaust pipe, but the sound was decent enough anyway. I shift the knob from neutral to first gear and proceed to my warmup lap.

To the first lap I go. Down to the Andretti hairpin... comes the unexpected understeer. If I could slam my palm to my face while driving, I would. But it's because I misjudged the throttle needed for the corner. I left it on like 1/4 but it needs something more delicate. And on the following corners, it doesn't oversteer that much yet but it mostly understeers. Understeer isn't that scary in this car but in Laguna Seca, you could be left for dead with any hit of it. Into the corkscrew I go, and it wags its tail while under full braking. Like what's wrong with it? Through the Rainey Curve, it corners oh so beautifully - until it gets muddy again. I can't remember if the lap was invalidated or not, but it's clear that it's screwed up. And then to the final corner, I'm delighted by how it tackled this one- it took less braking than needed and when I turned, there isn't any drama while I restrained my foot to not kick the tail out again.

On the first lap, it did a lap time in the 1:35 range. Since most of the time I need a few more laps to gather more data, I stayed up and did more, like a soldier going down and giving 10 more pushups for his commander. While I'm at it, I just realized that miscalculations means understeer. This car is actually bang-on in each and every corner. Even though I got 2 laps invalidated because the understeer almost sent me to the pit late by accident, and almost, by accident, I still went on. I was able to narrow the lap times down to 1:32, but something just ain't right. I noticed that the ABS was at 2. I usually go with ABS 1. So I dialled it a notch down and went on. Eventually, I got a lap time of 1:31.587. The unnecessary tail wagging under braking seemingly vanished with some precise control of the brakes. I don't even know if it is a good lap time or not, that's why my girlfriend went with me during the trip, helping me bring along an interesting sparring partner - the Lamborghini Murcielago LP-670 SV. On the same tires, which are sport softs. It only has a mere 1 PP advantage over the Countach, making it a good match. It's painted in Giallo Orion, but I shoulda got this car in either Verde Ithaca or some other pink color, because those are her preferred colors.

Anyways, same drill. Warm up and then try to understand its attitude. It understeers thanks to 4WD, but the understeer just puts it in a right stance to pounce out of the corner. It has a damn good sensation as well. It's one fun car, and it scored a lap time of... 1:30.275. It demolished the Countach by a single second. But the conclusion's not there yet.

So, how does the Countach put up? Its exhaust note sounds less appealing than a high-revving open wheel racer but it handles just like one. It brings me back memories when I got to test drive a toned down version of the Formula Gran Turismo. It understeers like one, and it oversteers like one. And there's something I also want to tell you - I only spent 6-7 minutes doing laps for the Murc while for the Countach - 18 minutes! I even had a pool of sweat out of the heat and the sheer thrill the Countach can give. You could just see how its timeless character gives me the ride of my life.

The Countach is an open-wheel racer, sans the F1 car's purpose, tech and structure. It's modified right to the street legal limits and yet it doesn't carry the reason why F1 cars were made- instead, it's been imbued with a soul. Something that glues a smile on it's driver's face. Something diminishing in this world and been replaced by numbers. It may not satisfy the need for faster laptimes, but it satisfies the need to make memories. So here am I, in a dilemma, improve the car even further or just get you to publish the settings? I see no substitute for driving pleasure, so you can now go safely with the latter.

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_3.jpg

----------------------------------

He finished reading the entire mail, his mouth grinning as he has seen how satisfied the customer was.

Lamborghini Countach LP400
Tuned by: RKM Motorsports
–––––––––––––––––––––––––------
Specs:
[confidential until released]

(Enhanced) pictures coming soon. The e-mail idea is somewhat inspired by this.

(be sure to skip to 15:30 in the video.)

Last edited:
The Eras, part 1 of 4

“The 70s Supercars”, Lamborghini Countach LP400, Ferrari 512BB​

In the 70’s, the world of the supercar was turned on its head. There was a supercar made from just about every corner of the world, and they were all fairly good efforts. Most fulfilled the motto of a supercar. ‘Looks good, goes fast, nothing else matters’. There have been many worthy examples of this. Cars like the Ford GT and the Jaguar XJ13. In 1974 however, the youngsters over at Lamborghini moved the goal posts somewhat with the release of this.

The Countach. It’s a legend. The definitive supercar shape. The game changer. Everything about it was different from the norm. It’s name. Nearly all Lamborghinis produced before it had been named after bulls. But this, this was named the ‘Countach’, an expression of astonishment. Which is fitting. Just look at that styling. Low and wide, wedge shaped and liberally covered in vents and slashes, it’s a child’s supercar dream.

It shifts very well too. With the best part of 390hp, which in Top Gear maths (the best maths in the world. Fact) is 400hp, and only a smidgen over 1000kg to carry around, acceleration isn’t going to be lacking. In fact, the old bull’s got enough guts to take it pass 160mph. It’s top speed is on the exciting side of 180mph, unbelievable performance from a car built in the 70s.

But don’t be deceived though, because at no point was the Countach ever, ever, what you’d call a good car. Where should I start……The noise, for a start. It’s just that, a drone. You don’t…feel the soul or the anger from the exhaust, sounds rather like a tractor. Then there’s the gearing. I’m amazed it could get past 150mph with 5th gear being longer than a marathon course. It’s not too bad through the first 2 gears, but then as you get into 3rd, it feels like you’ve hit a wall of jelly! It just slowly grinds to a halt. You need a lot, a lot of momentum to get it moving. And then there’s the issue of slowing down. The brakes, under hard braking, cause the car to twitch about and they don’t actually have that much effect on your speed. Yes, you do slow a bit, the speed does drop, but you don’t have much confidence in it. They just lack the feel and bite you’d expect. But the brakes are nothing compared to the handling. It’s a proper supercar, this. The old-school type. The type where it’s sole aim in life is to ruin your pants, your day and your wallet with a crash. If you don’t have the talent, you’re dead. Simple as that.

In fact, it’s so scary, you might just back away from the Lamborghini dealership altogether and get one of these. A 512BB. It’s less powerful, more lardy and more sensible looking.

But don’t let that make you think the prancing horse has been trounced by the raging bull. It sounds better, you can almost hear every cylinder of that boxer engine working and rumbling away. It can actually corner. Though it’s not exactly a precision cornering tool, it manages to capture the Countach old-school feel while being user friendly enough to not make you crap yourself. It also feels faster, the revs don’t take so long to rise and fall. But the most important thing of all, it’s a Ferrari. It’s the best the automotive world can offer. And this is quite an expression of that fact. It’s the very definition of a Ferrari. N/A, faster than most, high revving, doesn’t take well to being driven by noobs and idiots.

It’s not entirely faultless though. It can get very lively, very easily so corners are to be taken with caution. It will not tolerate the ‘slapping it around like a R35 noob’ driving style. Those like me with a DS3 need to be weary of this fact that it’s got very sensitive steering and that oversteer is a constant when cornering. This prancing stallion doesn’t like to be reined in. Let it run free, but bear in mind that it will bite hard should you disrespect it.

Despite the 512’s flaws though, in every way, it’s better than the Countach. It’s just as fast with less power, livelier with more weight. But that’s not what cars like these are about. It’s not all numbers and what you can achieve with a handicap against your rivals. It’s about the child inside with cars like these. And when the child is presented with these two, he can’t help but just banish the thoughts of which is best from his mind.

So in the end, it’s down to your personal opinion. If you want a car that’s fast in a straight line, looks shocking, and has a flawed but ‘rawer’ driving experience, get the Lambo. For everything else, get the 512BB. But bear in mind this, both these two beasts don’t let you pick it out for a drive. They pick you. They are the ones in charge. Pass their test, you’ll embrace and love them. Fail it though, don’t worry. What’s coming up in part two will give these two a run for their money. For half the cost.

Last edited:
...and I thought the 512BB was powered by a boxer engine.
Ah fack you. I hate you:( It's just minor technicalities anyways :D

Edit: Fixed to please the pedant.

Edit again: I messed up one of the Clio pictures in my first review, it's now fixed. Thank you Apokalipse! :D

Last edited:
BMW 2002 Turbo '73
Power: 172BHP
Rpm: 6000rpm
Weight: 1080kg
Drivetrain: FR
Performance Points: 391PP
Tires: Comfort Soft

The BMW New Class cars were a line that established BMW as a manufacturer of well handling sports cars. They were also very visually pleasing and were a hit at the time. The very first of these cars was the 1500 which premiered at the IAA in Frankfurt all those years back in 1961.
Of all the cars of this line the most well-known and successful of them all was also the last one. The 2002. Production began in 1968 and ended in 1976 and over the years there were a couple of variations. There was the 2002ti which bumped up the power by 20hp to bring it to a total of 120. Then they made the 2002tii which had 20 more horse power bringing it to 140. This could have been enough, but BMW continued to make the most powerful variation yet. This was of course the 2002 turbo. As the name suggests it does indeed have a turbo. This time the power output is 30hp more than the previous version. Being the fastest version with 170hp and only 1,672 of them ever made it is now the most sought after version of the 2002.

First off, the looks. It's not the most elegant car, but the rough shape, the round headlamps and the BMW kidney grills work well. The blue/red stripes show people, that this isn't just any 2002 and manages to do so without being vulgar enough to frighten small children. It's a simplistic shape and I can see why some wouldn't care for it, but I like it.
Does it drive well though?

It's a special car. The 2002 was the ancestor of the BMW 3 series which I'm sure you all know very well, but this particular variant is the first ever production turbo by BMW. How does it hold up after all these years?
To find out I took a ride in one at the Nurburgring GP/F track. First thing I noticed was the way the engine fooled me into thinking it hasn't got enough power. I started in a straight line which was easy enough, since I only reached about 90km/h before hitting the first corner. However, the corner presented something new. The corner is where the car showed me my true nature. The car doesn't just turn right or left and be done with it. It does go right/left, but the way it does that is special. How do I know this from just one corner? Well, I turned into the corner expecting little to no problems at all, but what I got was, at first, a slow slide of the rear. The slow speed gave me a false sense of security. Why false? Because in a split second I was facing the other way with tire smoke everywhere wondering if I'm still alive or not. How could this happen? Surely 170hp isn't too hard to handle, right? Well perhaps it's my lack of skill or the fact that we get spoiled with all the newer more powerful cars which fooled me into thinking this will be a leisurely ride. That doesn't matter though, because I was grinning like a mad man. Sure the spin surprised me, but I knew there and then that this wasn't the kind of car that kills you at every wrong move you make. The slide was controllable and I could have prevented the spin had I not ignored all the signs the car was giving me. Indeed, this car was going to be fun.

It's four gears granted me about 170 km/h on the straights which may not seem like much, but it's more than you'll ever need with this car, because the focus really is in the corners. Stop looking at cold numbers and have some fun. Let the back end slip and try to save it. It's the best fun I've had in a while.

Be prepared to give the car a lap or two to get used to it. Being low on power by today's standards you need to remember to keep it at high revs or risk loosing too much speed. This applies to the sliding too. You need to make sure you know exactly where the limit is or risk the engine not being able to turn the wheels anymore. With no power the back end will just swing around the front of your car. Don't think I'm saying it's an uncontrollable car though, I can't praise the handling enough.
After all that being said I'd like to point out that I don't recommend sliding it for the sake of doing so. This is a drivers car, it's fun to try to get a fastest time while enjoying the driving dynamics of it. Don't worry, you'll get your fair share of tire smoke. In fact that's probably the only bad part of the car, which depending on why you're using it may not be so bad at all. So go ahead. Set yourself a challenge and have fun while doing it. I know I did and at the end of the day I managed a time of 2'42.180

After all this I think that it's status as the car that set the foundations of BMW's success is well justified. It is the kind of car that many wish they could own and many car manufacturers wish they could make. A job well done.

Final verdict: 8.5/10

A review of the Toyota CELICA GT-R (ST183, 4WS) '91 would be nice, I really like that car and it's a great drivers car.

Awesome reviews so far! :D

Jai
A review of the Toyota CELICA GT-R (ST183, 4WS) '91 would be nice, I really like that car and it's a great drivers car.

I'd take it, but I still have my other stuff to do…Andre, being him, will take so long to do his review that by the time its out, GT7 will be out :lol: Zach's buggered off somewhere with DC9990, and Apokalipse is…busy being a pony, probably :lol:

Nah, either me or someone else from the team would take it. Assuming I can find one, they are a right pain to find…too much bloody MX5s and Godzillas…

Anybody think Apokalipse is the best reviewer in the group?
I don't think so, but thanks. :P

Jai

I'd do it if I can get my hands on one. Of course you can always donate. :D

I don't think so, but thanks. :P
See, so much better than Andre, you can actually get reviews done on schedule :D Anyways, who do think does the 'best' reviews out of us five? And on that…note/question, I'll put my fake mod cap on and say 'nuff spam for a day.

The Eras- Part 2
80s to early 90s Rally Specials- Audi Quattro, Lancia HF Intergrale Evoluzione, Ford RS200

In the mid 80s, motorsport was at its peak. Cars that raced on tarmac were spewing over 1000+hp and rally cars weren’t that far behind. In fact, it was said that a Lancia Delta S4 of Group B fame could accelerate from 0-60mph faster than F1 cars from the same era. It was an age of homologated specials, when cars that were originally intended to go to the shops would be fed steroids and power output would be doubled as a result. And this is the car that started it all for rallying. The Audi Quattro.

It’s possibly one of the most iconic Audis ever made. It introduced 4WD to the rally world, and gave birth to the greatest battles the car world has ever witnessed, the Evo vs the STi. And I’ve brought it back to it’s home. The rally course.

And oh god it’s good. It maybe the best part of 40 years old, it may only have 200 horse power, but it’s enough to get the featherweight body to effortlessly dance around corners in a graceful arc. The handling on dirt is, well, balletic. It feels like a dance routine, where every turn is so seamlessly linked to the next that makes you look like driving god. It flatters your good sides and tries to mask your pitfalls with its grip. It’s such a simple yet rewarding car to drive. It’s fun without being irresponsible, typical of the Germans. It’s also very responsive for such an old 4WD car, but without being scary. Little wonder my dad bought one and till this day maintains it was among the best cars he’s ever purchased. And that’s from someone who once owned a Porsche 911 Carrera 4.
Anyways, back to the car. What else is there that you need to know? Well, this being a turbo’d car from the 80s, you can’t hide the fact that there is a lot of turbo lag. In fact, the turbos still haven’t kicked in, and I’m nearly finished with my sentence…*yawn*. Aside from the horrendous lag, there’s the hint of understeer that you get from most Audis, but with the engine slung out in front, you’d expect that. Then there's the noise, not too bad, but nothing like the rough rally rumble I was expecting. And look at it. It's function over form, simple lines with a fender flare here and a spoiler there for that bit more character. You have to say, it still does look rather good.

So, good looks, nice noise, balletic handling and an enthusiastic drive. I think you get the idea now that this was, and still is, quite a car. But if you’re after something with a bit more flare, a bit more style and even more pedigree though, there’s always cars like the Lancia Intergrale. One of the greatest Lanicas ever made. And my, my, look at how much has changed in less than 10 years. The steering in this is almost telepathically quick, the throttle response is immediate and there’s next to no turbo lag at all. Little wonder that it won the WRC 7 times consecutively.
It’s so involving, so mechanical, it puts you so close to the action that you actually feel like you’re in a rally. It’s so alive in your hands that it makes Imprezas and Evos feel numb and remote in comparison. It’s very basic, it’s a car for both novices and masters. The brakes, for example, they are sharp enough to slow you down, but by modulating them, you can get it to clear corners much quicker and with less understeer. And just listen to the noise. It's not as nice as you'd expect, but that coarse rumble has a nice hint of rally to it.

However, while that’s all well and good, these two being driver friendly blasts from the past, it wasn’t really what Group B was about. It was about cars like this.

The Ford RS200. One of the car that killed off Group B. An off road GT40. A truly vicious machine. It was designed to do one thing only. To win. It was purpose built, and purposeful. It packed over 200hp when it came out of the factory in 1984, which was already a lot for gravel tracks. But the owner of this particular RS200 decided that wasn’t enough. In fact, he installed a racing exhaust and crammed in a bigger turbo, to name a few changes. And while it now sounds like a vacuum cleaner, it now has 420hp. 200 more the stock output! He then fitted a fully adjustable suspension kit and a racing gearbox, and had it shipped to Finland for a tweak. So, what have we ended up with here? The MFT RS200. 420hp on gravel with a track tune…should be interesting.

And it is indeed interesting. With the bigger turbos, the lag is horrendous! There’s at least a second between applying the throttle and the boost kicking in. But when it does, hold on tight, you have never seen the horizon move so quickly to you before! This car could only have come from the Mad Finns. Only they would build a car as mental as this. You don’t need to care about the noise or the price or the pedigree or any of that crap in a car like this. Just aim it’s nose at the horizon, and watch the world around you warp into a green smudge.

All of these cars have got a special something to them. It’s a sense of history. A sense that just can't be felt in any modern car. They feel older, more delicate, simpler. They also have more pedigree and And they are just so much more…likable than their modern counterparts. And without these three, some of the cars appearing in part 3 just wouldn't have existed at all.

Last edited:
The RS200 didn't kill Group B, it's the fact that Group B cars killed their drivers and spectators that killed Group B.
Well, if we were being pedantic, yes. But I like to think that it contributed so is therefore a culprit :D Anyways, I'll edit it so it'll seem more correct.

Nice interview Onboy, but why didn't you try the Lancia Stratos. Or the Renault 5 turbo or the Peugeot 205?

Nice interview Onboy, but why didn't you try the Lancia Stratos. Or the Renault 5 turbo or the Peugeot 205?
Well……the reason I called the reviews the 'Eras' is because it was going to be about each decade of the car, starting from the 70s. That was the 80s section, and was the Stratos or R5 Turbo made then? Nope. (That and the fact that the pair of them would have killed me at the first corner :lol:) As for the 205? I didn't have one available to me at the time of writing, so I took a RS200 from my good friend GfxJG. :D

Sorry if I came off harsh.

It's alright :D We learn something new everyday, now I've learnt that the RS200 wasn't responsible for killing off the greatest era of rallying. :D

Last edited:
Well……the reason I called the reviews the 'Eras' is because it was going to be about each decade of the car, starting from the 70s. That was the 80s section, and was the Stratos or R5 Turbo made then? Nope. (That and the fact that the pair of them would have killed me at the first corner :lol:) As for the 205? I didn't have one available to me at the time of writing, so I took a RS200 from my good friend GfxJG. :D

The R5 turbo was made in 1980.
But that just means I can maybe review it some day.

And you're supposed to drive the R5 turbo maxi car in the rain. On sports softs.
:D

The R5 turbo was made in 1980.
But that just means I can maybe review it some day.

And you're supposed to drive the R5 turbo maxi car in the rain. On sports softs.
:D
Oh…? Ah well, I don't have one anyways :D And if I ever did that, there will be no reviews, cuz I'd be dead. Death by weird french toaster with massive turbos.:dopey:

Back