Chase for NASCAR Sprint Cup S2 Champs: RFLX_Niop, Hendrick, Chevy

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,095 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, crazy but looking down that list of reserve drivers, I'm sure I won't be missed as the field is really competitive anyway.

Thank you guys, see you soon.

You will be missed, you were one of the good ones :(

I'm very sorry to hear that, chqr. You can always show up as a reserve and grab an open seat if you have time this season.

It is with deep regret I will have to pull out this year's Nascar Season. Thank you Ryan for offering me a full-time ride and I apologise to let you down on this one. For a variety of personal reasons, there will be no chance of me participating in any race this season. Its not just a NASCAR thing but for all the series I run in. Things have caught up with me and I have to sadly give up GTP online racing just for 2011 with a comeback hopefully for Season 3.

I can't wait for Season 3 and I like this idea of writing applications to team owners if indeed we are overbooked for full-time rides like this season.

Sorry, crazy but looking down that list of reserve drivers, I'm sure I won't be missed as the field is really competitive anyway.

Thank you guys, see you soon.

Sorry to see you go Chqr, you were a Chase contender at least mate.

Hope to see you soon.

One down, thirteen to go! :mischievous:

Just kidding, of course. Good racing, Chqr, hope we see ya again soon! :cool:

EDIT - I'm also considering adding up to two wild card slots to the Chase field, meaning the field could be anywhere from 8 to 10 drivers deep.

Getting a wild card slot would require winning a race in the first seven events, and require starting five events or more. Like the real Sprint Cup series, wild card drivers would not get the three bonus points for their win, but they would still have a chance at the driver's championship.

Just my humble opinion but i think 10 chasers(even 12) would be a great idea. The more racers in the chase means a better chance of having a full field for the final 5 races. It kinda gives people more of a reason to show up.

***** BREAKING NEWS *****​

Joe Gibbs Racing are proud to announce today that they have secured the rights to two more full time drivers to compete in Season 2 of The GTP NASCAR SPRINT CUP.

Team Owner, Knelly, who finished 2nd in Season 1 in the #18 M&M car, has been working hard to make Joe Gibbs Racing a competitive team for the new Season.

Knelly was quoted saying "It was pretty evident fairly early on that all other teams had not only more experienced drivers, but also drivers that would be able to commit to the whole Season. This was a concern for myself and the backroom staff, and after the way Daytona played out, we needed to act fast to secure some drivers that would make the rest of the field, sit up and think!"

Taking the permanent seat in the 2011 #20 Home Depot, is 'MStall41'. After working with him throughout Daytona, Knelly was excited to hear that MStall41 no longer wanted to be a Reserve Driver, and was looking to find a team that his driving style could fit into.

After negotiations, MStall41 was quoted saying that "I am thoroughly excited about my opportunity with JGR. I can't think of a better team to kickstart my GTP NASCAR Series career. I look forward to many wins and much success with the team. Finally I'd like to thank Knelly for the opportunity to race with this fine organization."

Taking the pemanent seat in the 2011 #11 Fedex, is 'Furinkazen'. Affectionately already known by others as Furi, this new addition has seen the potential of Joe Gibbs Racing for a while and has been looking to secure a seat in this team for some time now. His race in the #20 at Daytona, and the team tactics that he followed, has made Knelly consider that this is a driver that Joe Gibbs Racing should have as part of a winning team.

Furinkazen told press after negotiations "I am happy to announce a full-time switch to the 2011 Joe Gibbs Racing #11 FEDEX TOYOTA Camry. The #11 that I drove briefly in Season 1, and it feels great to be back in the team."

Knelly, owner and spokesperson for Joe Gibbs Racing, is delighted with both drivers joining him for the remainder of Season 2. "We have two very different driving styles here with these guys, and between the three of us, we can use all three styles to our advantage to secure as many points as possible for all three, hopefully all reaching The Chase. This is a happy day. Now we just need to find a #20 Gamestop owner!"

It is believed that Knelly and MrRedSox did discuss these developments surrounding the #11, who kindly backed down as could not commit to a regular seat.

In one afternoon Joe Gibbs Racing has become a Constructors Title Contender, and with the Red Bulls looking strong, could also look to take the Manufacturers Title for Toyota. Of course, Knelly will also be looking to improve on his 2nd place finish last Season, but this is a field full of title contenders and it's really to early too say who will do what. What we do know is that you should expect to see a Joe Gibbs car in your rear view .... until the final lap!

👍 👍 👍

Last edited:
Just my humble opinion but i think 10 chasers(even 12) would be a great idea. The more racers in the chase means a better chance of having a full field for the final 5 races. It kinda gives people more of a reason to show up.

They would want to show up, or else they may lose their seat for Season 3 :sly:

And just to add Furi will be taking delivery of his #11 2011 Toyota Camry for testing tomorrow 👍

homeslice47
True, this league is filling up quick!

It's a credit to all the excellent drivers and the high quality of racing in this series. Thanks for helping make it happen, guys.

tenvp.png

OFFICIAL Daytona 500 Results:

1. #88 Droptop2001gt (Pole Position, 108 laps led) - 20 points, +3 bonus points
2. #48 ACDCROCKS123 (15 laps led) - 18 points, +1 bonus point
3. #99 DBUCKEYES (31 laps led) - 16 points, +1 bonus point
4. #24 M-Stall41 (19 laps led) - 14 points, +1 bonus point
5. #18 Knelly - 12 points
6. #14 Mudd - 11 points
7. #83 CrAzY_bAsSiSt_83 - 10 points
8. #43 homeslice47 (1 lap led) - 9 points, +1 bonus point
9. #83 Chqr - 8 points
10. #20 Furinkazen (24 laps led) - 7 points, +1 bonus point
11. #42 MÜLE_9242 (2 laps led) - 6 points, +1 bonus point
12. #83 dowhat13 - 5 points

Driver's Championship:

0LBmk.jpg

Owner's Championship:

HutbA.jpg

Manufacturer's Championship:

7splB.jpg

Last edited:
Knelly
The perfect weekend hey Drop? Congrats again.

It's a good way to start the season, for certain. Maybe this year I can save a win for a Chase race, though.

Well with the wild card element you're now as good as guaranteed a spot in there 👍

I've still got a lot if work to do, but my one win last season dud come at Indy ;)

I'm also hoping for a lack of disconnections. The "dirty air" introduced in 2.0 makes it harder to follow others due to the way it affects your downforce and makes the car tight/understeer, but this should still be my best track as always. I adjusted my suspension back to how it should be after we had our brief testing session, so I should be able to 1 stop no problem.

Also, a reminder to check your rear aero settings before you go out on track. A bug that 2.01 introduced means that if you change settings sheet at all, your rear aero will revert back to it's default value.

NASCAR Pit Reporter Jamie Little managed to catch up with Furi this afternoon after he finished final contract negotiations with Joe Gibbs Racing. Here are the highlights of an impromptu interview

JL: Welcome Furi, thank you for your time. What made you decide to run in Season 2 of this league?

FK: Its a bit of irony actually. I originally started this league but had to drop it to due to organisational and time issues, so drop re started it. With Season 2 I can now commit more time and effort with TOCA over and me no longer running this series.

JL: All at Joe Gibbs Racing are excited to see what you can do in the #11 this season. What was the overriding factor in joining this team?

FK: I was already involved with Joe Gibbs Racing and the #11 team having raced for them in Season 1. Also a number of the #11 car guys were working with me at the Shootout last week, so it was a logical decision.

JL: You had a good run at Daytona last week. What was your highlight of the race?

FK: Staying out of trouble and leading a few laps, just getting back into a rythmn.

JL: How is the car feeling now that you are getting your 'groove' in the seat? Handling itself nicely for Indy?

FK: Not tested yet, and I'm not an Indy fan. For my first race I'm going to just take it easy and get myself up to speed.

JL: 60 Laps at Indy then on Saturday, you have a strategy in mind how you would like it play out?

FK: Well I know from Season 1 that 30 laps on tyres is too much...

JL: What's your experience and results like around The Brickyard?

FK: Hard and physical racetrack that requires a lot of concentration.

JL: Any drivers or teams that concern you in this race?

FK: Well I have some history with one of the Hendricks....

JL: Thank you for taking the time out for the interview, do you have any last comments before Saturday?

FK: Use FedEx to get your mail across the GTP world, it's quicker than anything else !!!

Jamie Little then went off looking to find Knelly for a bit of 'alone time' :sly:

JakobNascar88
Hey about me the ROOKIE Who came in 3rd place for PRESEASON?

A good showing this past Saturday in the 500 would have been a great audition to the team owners scrambling to find replacement drivers. The best way to get a full time ride is to be there as much as possible, and perform well. Show up this Saturday for 60 laps at Indy, and show the team owners what you can do. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back