PMC Discussion Thread: 3.0 Interest Check

So! With the busy Christmas/New Years season out of the way, does anyone object to running a trial of this '3.0' style category in the Photoshop comp next week? It'd be added as a third editing category in addition to Manipulation and Graphics, perhaps titled "Enhancement" as I previously mentioned. Any suggestions/objections?

Let's do it and give it a try!

Gentlemen – start your cameras…

:gtpflag:

I'll be going back to work next week, but if I only have time to "compete" in one category, I'll make sure it's the "2.1" or "3.0" or "Enhancement" or whatever you want to call it. 👍

Conceptually it'd be similar to the 2.0 comp (i.e. it is Photography-focused), but with the editing freedom of the Photoshop competition.

I have an idea. Tell me how you like it.

A Photomode PS3 XMB Theme Competition. Anyone can make PS3 themes legally with free software, and everything can be changed from backgrounds to XMB labels (like Music, Game, Settings, etc.), and even sounds. So competitors would create a theme, I'd say monthly, as it would take longer than one photo, and possibly upload it to some website (you can easily make basic free web sites that allow file uploads and downloads) and we would download, apply to our PS3, and vote.

By the way, if this isn't the place, I apologize. Slipztream told me to posy the idea here.

I have an idea. Tell me how you like it.

A Photomode PS3 XMB Theme Competition. Anyone can make PS3 themes legally with free software, and everything can be changed from backgrounds to XMB labels (like Music, Game, Settings, etc.), and even sounds. So competitors would create a theme, I'd say monthly, as it would take longer than one photo, and possibly upload it to some website (you can easily make basic free web sites that allow file uploads and downloads) and we would download, apply to our PS3, and vote.

By the way, if this isn't the place, I apologize. Slipztream told me to posy the idea here.

Nice idea, I would give that a try 👍

Before I get the new week's PMC and 2.0 threads up, I figured I'd comment on the ivory pachyderm in the room...

Listed below are the proper, adjusted winners for weeks past - unfortunately, other than DarkR this week, we can't change themes from previous weeks to make up for your wins, guys. But wrongs need to be righted, so here you deserving folks are:

CCCL Week 42 Winner: DarkR
Secret Santa Week 30 Winner: ceiling_fan
CCCL Week 39 Winner: Boabdulrahman
CCCL Week 38 Winner: fkxpro
Photomode/Photoshop Week 39 Winner: Raphaele
Photomode Competition Week 51 Winner: Nads
2.0 Advanced Competition Week 44 Winner: nanabu ( :( )
Photomode Competition Week 44 Winner: Raphaele

In all of those above weeks, Beccosinho was the winner, but at least six duplicate accounts were used to obtain these results. I haven't even looked into what effects they had on weeks where he/she/whomever didn't win. Again, apologies to all as this caught me completely off guard, especially considering Becco's attitude and images around here. All I can add is that if you think the polls are ever being in any way manipulated, please bring it to my attention. I hate to have to make this sort of comment, as it feels far too serious for something that is meant to be fun, but this whole debacle really spits in the face of the fun, community-building spirit of the competitions. Again, apologies to all.

On a lighter topic, BubbleBelly542's PS3 Theme competition idea is something new and fresh, to our budding graphic designers out there, take a look-see!

8 comps really? Wow. Thanks for clearing it up. Sad to see, in the grand scheme of things it is a game and we're all here to have fun.

WTF! i will never understand why people do something like that, what a big shame.
Is he banned for ever?

@BubbleBelly: As mentioned in the thread I'll give it a try and do my first PS3 Theme. i already have an idea :D

Wew, really? Wouldn't have expected it, his photos were genuinely quite good! No need to cheat :(
In other news the 3.0/Enhancement/Whatever it will be named trial is all set to go ahead this week! Sharpen up your PS skills folks :P

@Nuschel01
I like your suggestion.
But maybe this might be a lot of additional checking work for the moderators…
at least it would be a means to prevent swaying and cheating easily.

Wow, I really liked his photos, what a shame.

Makes you wonder what lengths some will go to.

Yeah, definitely not up for this "PS3 Theme" comp. Let me know if we get the 3.0 one cranked up at any point.

Have fun!

So while I am at work, I can't create the new thread for a few hours, but here is Fishy's 2.0 theme if you'd like a head start!

FishyJuice
Surrealism.

Try to create entries which are strange and dreamy. Get as far from realism as possible.

I reckon call it "3.0", it carries on the pattern (i.e. PMC, 2.0, 3.0). Would it be like the 'Open' edit of yesteryeargame?

I'm intending to have the trial as essentially unrestricted Photoshop usage - I was thinking however that it mightn't be a bad idea to lay down a couple of ground rules that also govern the 2.0 competition, namely about adding objects from photos outside of GT5.

Would we be allowed to remove objects, such as an unwanted sign or something like that?

Certainly! My thinking is that you'd be free to do anything that a 'real' photographer would do in post processing to improve actual photographs.

Some basic rules to ground 3.0 in the photographic side of things certainly wouldn't hurt, agreed! I'm sure we'll get a rough idea with input from the community :-)

I'd change the thread title to reflect this, but as it's Captain Roh's thread, it's a bit difficult from the app!

I'm piecing together banners and such right now, actually! I'm quite interested to see how it goes, I'm expecting a slightly bigger turnout than the PS comp usually gets :P

I think this is the place to put this.

100 weeks of the GT4 Un-Edited Competition.

Hey guys, does anyone happen to have the full size of andrea week 52 winner entry?

pmcomps_wk54_02.jpg

Don't know whether this idea has been discussed before or whether this is the right place to put it, but I've been thinking...

I had the idea of having something like "The Photomode Awards"

This could be like the BRIT awards or something of that nature, but for the Photomode community (and obviously less glamourous... :sly:)

Some ideas for categories I had were:
  • Best Edited Photo
  • Best Unedtied Photo
  • Best Set of Photos (Min 5)
  • Best Photographer
  • Best New Photographer (Gallery Started in last 3 months)
  • Special Recognition Award
  • Critics Choice (Voted for by maybe anyone who has won a competition before)
  • Best Editer
I'm not completely sure how it would run, but maybe if nominations were PM'ed to a host, then the most popular nominations released, and then votes from these nominations PM'ed to the host, who, after maybe 2 or 3 weeks of voting, releases the winners of each category, maybe one per day for a week, it could work...

I thought it could be maybe every 3 or 4 months if it takes off, or happens at all.

Obviously this is only in the early stages, so please tell me if this is a good idea, or whether it would work at all, and if you have any other ideas please also tell me :) I look forward to your response 👍

Back