2023-24 Formula 1 Off-Track Thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 845 comments
Doesn't that image just show how absurdly large F1 cars are now? I've met Adrian Newey; he's a normal-sized human. That behemoth behind him is three Neweys long at least, and a full two-thirds of a Newey tall. If he laid on the ground perpendicular to it and the car drove straight at him, he'd probably pass right between the front wheels.

His first Williams, the FW14, was smaller than a Ford Probe.
2005 vs 2020

R25-RS20-three-quarter-1024x682.jpg

Doesn't that image just show how absurdly large F1 cars are now? I've met Adrian Newey; he's a normal-sized human. That behemoth behind him is three Neweys long at least, and a full two-thirds of a Newey tall. If he laid on the ground perpendicular to it and the car drove straight at him, he'd probably pass right between the front wheels.

His first Williams, the FW14, was smaller than a Ford Probe.
I had the opportunity to see Hamilton's Mercedes W11 at an exhibition, very close there was a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz.

I didn't have a ruler on hand to measure them, but the impression it gave was that the F1 was longer and wider or at least similar.

Until you have a current F1 right in front of you, you don't realize how absurdly big they are.

Modern F1 cars are a lot faster in general than their predecessors. With that said, other than all the major technical marvels that they now have on them, could the increase in size also be a matter of safety? Or is that a moot point?

Modern F1 cars are a lot faster in general than their predecessors. With that said, other than all the major technical marvels that they now have on them, could the increase in size also be a matter of safety? Or is that a moot point?
Some of it is safety related, likely. Though I would presume the majority reason is that larger surface area for the wings and wider wheelbases provide a lot more mechanical grip and downforce.

Doesn't that image just show how absurdly large F1 cars are now? I've met Adrian Newey; he's a normal-sized human. That behemoth behind him is three Neweys long at least, and a full two-thirds of a Newey tall.

How many Imperial Adrians does a modern F1 car weigh, and is the metric unit a Campos?

Back