2023-24 Formula 1 Off-Track Thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 845 comments
Newey's racing career is mostly massive crashes. I wouldn't trust him to survive past lap 3 of the race

Ooh, I like it: the Constructors' Driver's championship, soon to be followed up by the Drivers' Constructor's Cup, whereby they have to make duplicates of the actual vehicles entirely within the rules.

Last edited:
Friends, remember the 2012 season when:

• A big move by Hamilton to a new team is announced for a season right before a big regs shakeup
  • A French Driver at Team Enstone being abit of a menace.
  • Red Bull beginning to tear apart internally
  • There were 7 different winners before the summer break

Guess what's happened this season...
Sooo, you know what else happened in 2012? A driver getting a race ban. Take a guess at what just happened...

Last edited:
Sooo, you know what else happened in 2012? A driver getting a race ban. Take a guess at what just happened...
Incredible parallels.

So, Verstappen is going to win the next 4 as Red Bulls number 1, Gasly will win and then the 2 Mclarens get 1 a piece at the end.

"due to be" and "racing365 understands" is not the same as Aston announcing. Pathetic journalism again.

Autosport are just as bad, once again reporting not news as news
Despicable behaviour from all these news sources claiming it's news even though nothing has been announced or confirmed. It may end up being true even today, but journalism is dying on its feet if we keep lapping up rumours as fact. Ferrari should shove it all in their face and announce a Sainz contract extension to put one up on the idiots who think posting "Set to" headlines as news is the right thing to do.
They all still say "Set to", so it's once again guessing before actual news...
I'm not saying "It isn't going to be announced soon", but it is once again terrible journalism, presenting not-yet fact as fact. Sainz has been "Set to" join about 3 other teams this year before the official announcement. Be patient and wait for the proper reveal by Aston Martin before getting too excited.

There's a lot of "Newey set to ___ ", but a lot of media is right on the edge of actually confirming it.

20240908_142133.jpg

£30m a year plus bonuses. This has to be some sort of record.
For five years, nonetheless. But no doubt it's worth it to both have one of the greatest talents in F1 engineering and also keep him away from everyone else once the new regs kick in.

Damn, that really highlights just how hard Checo's fallen off the cliff after Miami. Only 40 points in the 10 races since then, that can't be considered acceptable performance.

I'm highly annoyed at the idea that the spoiled brat is gonna be blessed with Newey and NOT the likes of Hamilton or LeClerc. Only reason I don't entirely hate this is that it likely means at least Alonso maybe has a shot at title #3.

Also just occured to me that Newey would be working with Fallows once again, that should be interesting for those two in a new environment.

I'm highly annoyed at the idea that the spoiled brat is gonna be blessed with Newey and NOT the likes of Hamilton or LeClerc. Only reason I don't entirely hate this is that it likely means at least Alonso maybe has a shot at title #3.
To be honest, he would probably just be wasting his time at Ferrari. I can't help but imagine that the attitude of "we do things a certain way here" that they have means most of his input would be discarded if it didn't fit the way they expected it to.

Now that McLaren seems to have gotten their house in order (aside from the whole "oops we have two No. 1 drivers now" business), I'd be all for it if Newey and any other engineering staff Lawerence throws money at can drag AM out of Formula 1.5 too, and make the front end of the field even more diverse in '26.

I think its pretty obvious Newey is going to AM ... I learnt over my time the saying 'where there's smoke there's fire' has been true more often than not !
I think it'll be a good thing too, it'll be nice to have another team fighting at the top ... Perez will be stoked too, he wont be the worst driver of the top teams anymore ! (presuming Lance will never ever be fired of course)

Doesn't that image just show how absurdly large F1 cars are now? I've met Adrian Newey; he's a normal-sized human. That behemoth behind him is three Neweys long at least, and a full two-thirds of a Newey tall. If he laid on the ground perpendicular to it and the car drove straight at him, he'd probably pass right between the front wheels.

His first Williams, the FW14, was smaller than a Ford Probe.

Well it's official now. An impressive coup for Aston Martin and is another surprising puzzle piece that shows how serious and commited Lawrence Stroll is to actually being an F1 Team owner and a slick negotiator. The only question mark as ever being over Lance still in the seat.

2026 is going to be crazy interesting to see what the pecking order falls out as.

Back