2023-24 Formula 1 Off-Track Thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 863 comments
Doesn't that image just show how absurdly large F1 cars are now? I've met Adrian Newey; he's a normal-sized human. That behemoth behind him is three Neweys long at least, and a full two-thirds of a Newey tall. If he laid on the ground perpendicular to it and the car drove straight at him, he'd probably pass right between the front wheels.

His first Williams, the FW14, was smaller than a Ford Probe.
2005 vs 2020

R25-RS20-three-quarter-1024x682.jpg

Doesn't that image just show how absurdly large F1 cars are now? I've met Adrian Newey; he's a normal-sized human. That behemoth behind him is three Neweys long at least, and a full two-thirds of a Newey tall. If he laid on the ground perpendicular to it and the car drove straight at him, he'd probably pass right between the front wheels.

His first Williams, the FW14, was smaller than a Ford Probe.
I had the opportunity to see Hamilton's Mercedes W11 at an exhibition, very close there was a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz.

I didn't have a ruler on hand to measure them, but the impression it gave was that the F1 was longer and wider or at least similar.

Until you have a current F1 right in front of you, you don't realize how absurdly big they are.

Modern F1 cars are a lot faster in general than their predecessors. With that said, other than all the major technical marvels that they now have on them, could the increase in size also be a matter of safety? Or is that a moot point?

Modern F1 cars are a lot faster in general than their predecessors. With that said, other than all the major technical marvels that they now have on them, could the increase in size also be a matter of safety? Or is that a moot point?
Some of it is safety related, likely. Though I would presume the majority reason is that larger surface area for the wings and wider wheelbases provide a lot more mechanical grip and downforce.

Doesn't that image just show how absurdly large F1 cars are now? I've met Adrian Newey; he's a normal-sized human. That behemoth behind him is three Neweys long at least, and a full two-thirds of a Newey tall.

How many Imperial Adrians does a modern F1 car weigh, and is the metric unit a Campos?

I'm getting so sick of this dumbass.

In an exclusive interview with Motorsport.com, FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has revealed he is making moves to try to change the tone of the content that is aired to fans.

He says the drivers themselves have a certain responsibility to monitor what they are saying, before adding that a request has been put in to FOM to limit the communication of bad language.

“I mean, we have to differentiate between our sport – motorsport – and rap music,” Ben Sulayem said.

“We're not rappers, you know. They say the F-word how many times per minute? We are not on that. That's them and we are [us].”

They should stop with the radio messages all together because they're either whining about the tyres or they're snitching on each other.

Mohammed ben Sulayem and I are on the same page for different reasons. Back on my soapboax - don't broadcast pit radio during the race.

How about just don't broadcast the naughty messages?

Oh right, because that would get in the way of their dramatization. "Max is upset, play that message in a bit. Oh he swore because he's mad? Dang, that's going to possibly ruin our ability to use it how we want".

Drivers will get put into the heat of the moment like any athlete, and say things. They shouldn't broadcast them if they're so concerned over the language. For comparison, NBA players are actually mic'd up during nationally televised games, but there's a big reason you only get 1 segment of the player's words in a quick montage & it's all positive, safe for TV language.

Last edited:
If he thinks the swearing in F1 is somehow "Too Much", he would not last a minute listening to Nascar radio. Don't show ANY radio from the Busch bros or Harvick to him, guy would have a stroke.

Huh, almost like auto racing is a very stressful environment, and people in stressful situations tend to use foul language as a way to vent that stress. Who ever would have guessed?

If he thinks the swearing in F1 is somehow "Too Much", he would not last a minute listening to Nascar radio. Don't show ANY radio from the Busch bros or Harvick to him, guy would have a stroke.
He's also acting like it's a new thing. For as long as access has been had or radio messages have been offered, there's been swearing. Montoya had the best one.

"Are they booing me, Smithers?"
"No sir, they're saying 'Mohammed boo-en Sulayem'."

Why is he complaining? This is the one sport where you can actually hear from the sports stars while they are doing their sport. You don't hear Footballers, Cricketers, Baseball players, Skiiers etc. It's not like you can hear clear as day the reaction of Zlatan after each screamer he used to score. No, Team Radio in Motorsport is a unique privilege which other sports are unable to pull off as easily.

If MBS doesn't want swearing broadcast, then get FOM to not broadcast those team radios. Simple. However, you will of course run into the issue where team radios become so sweary as teams realise they can say whatever curse word they want to avoid that information going public.

Let's hear what MBS said when he drove an F1 car...

Did MBS watch any Major League Baseball during the pandemic, a relatively quiet game played in empty stadiums and announcers had to apologize for foul language routinely.

During regional or local broadcasts, many times players for my hometown New Orleans Pelicans will swear and the mics will pick it up and Joel Myers will either apologize or make a joke (ex. One Pelicans player shouted "Bull****!" and Joel said "we agree").

I won't even waste my energy on the rap music comment but it's certainly not making me a fan of MBS.

However, you will of course run into the issue where team radios become so sweary as teams realise they can say whatever curse word they want to avoid that information going public.
If I was a racing driver, I would have already been doing this.

Sky bleeps and ***** swear words, other broadcasters do not?
It's not Sky doing that, the general worldwide feed does that. So all broadcasts have the radio censored.

One exception: on F1TV you can watch onboard streams of any driver with live radio feeds, those are not censored.

A couple of years ago (before Viaplay bought the rights), the Dutch F1 broadcast during their post race show would actually go back to some of the censored radios and show the viewers the uncensored version.

Last edited:
NASCAR had a policy for that to penalize drivers for swearing on live TV (Dale Earnhardt Jr. after a win at Talladega). I know the policy is no longer in effect but I am not certain if the networks have taken any further policy on their end if they wish to protect their viewers.

Back