400PP Nordschleife Shootout

• Thread starter CSLACR
  • 1,639 comments
DS3
Too stiff as in the Dampers or springs? Both? You took about 20 seconds of my time, so I greatly appreciate your efforts!

I have no idea lol my tune ability is at the opposite spectrum of my driving! :lol: It would improve if it doesnt rebound on the curbs or bumps. To give an idea had a better lap using the stock suspension with a fully tuned GT-R '07 than using a tune i seen where the car would rebound all over the place. I needed a perfect lap without touching any curb o run sub 6:10, with stock suspension i did 6:07 .

Any chance I could see the "Jester" in the hands of a Ring master? :nervous:

Yes no problem :)
I will record it with the HDPVR soon, i have some replays already recorded but not this one, it will be added closer to the weekend, i have a lot of overtime this week at the job :(

:bowdown::gtpflag:Awesome!👍👍

Thanks again mike.:cheers:

Oh and in case anyone's interested I decided to max out my spare "Aki" and then go do the Grand Valley 300km.:crazy:

Currently in 2nd about 5sec back after getting fresh tires put on. Of course I'm only on lap 18 so figure it should be an easy win.:D

Nice! if you ever want me to test some changes on your suspension let me know :)

Wow mike_gt3! You pulled off a 8:24.8 lap in the Focus! :bowdown:
Nice review too! Glad you liked the tune.
I'm amazed that it was only 0.045 seconds behind CyKosis's car in testing. :crazy:
I guess those Ford's gotta stick together. :dopey:

Thx! yeah both Focus were really good! you did a great tune. :)

Cowboys965's Ring King
9eEM13cACxseEhQrYB_0.jpg

Suspension:
Ride -20/-25
Springs 7.2/7.0
Dampers 5/5
5/5
Anti-Roll bars 5/5
Camber 1.0/0.5
Toe -.04/-.05

Clutch: Standard
Flywheel: Standard
Stock differential
Drive shaft: Normal
(Forgot to change these)

Transmission: 6 Speed Close-Ratio Transmission
Brake bias 6/8
Sports Intake
Power limiter 100.0%
Balalst amount 0
Weight distribution 51/49

Oil change
Engine and Chassis overhaul
Aftermarket rims

176HP
1415KG
RWD (FR)
4000 RPM
3998.2 miles

LSD settings and individual gear numbers are needed too. Thanks.

too stiff as in the dampers or springs? Both? You took about 20 seconds of my time, so i greatly appreciate your efforts!

it would improve if it doesnt rebound on the curbs or bumps. To give an idea had a better lap using the stock suspension with a fully tuned gt-r '07 than using a tune i seen where the car would rebound all over the place. I needed a perfect lap without touching any curb o run sub 6:10, with stock suspension i did 6:07 .
I would guess looking at it the dampers might be a bit too high for the spring rate for this track.
ARB is the single thing that makes cars bounce the most though. The only Miata I ever tuned really liked a soft suspension, which is an anomaly for me when tuning.

mike_gt3
Yes no problem :)
I will record it with the HDPVR soon, i have some replays already recorded but not this one, it will be added closer to the weekend, i have a lot of overtime this week at the job :(

Thanks alot. I'm looking forward to seeing a true driver in my van 👍:dopey:

You and pariano are great drivers and I am amazed that you could go that fast in the car. Great job to both of you.

Last edited:
Thanks alot. I'm looking forward to seeing a true driver in my van 👍:dopey:

You and pariano are great drivers and I am amazed that you could go that fast in the car. Great job to both of you.

Thank you! i think this shootout will help me with tuning, first time i really see a difference in a tune :dopey:

As I mentioned, I am building some comparisons between the tunes posted for this competition. I will share all insights for group discussion. A few are things missing in some of the tunes. Can either the tuners or someone test driving who is PS friends with the tuners please help by posting the missing info?

Hermanvongerman - Oil change? Enging overhall? Chassis maintenane? Did you tune with DS3, wheel or both?

Thanks,
Keith

this was a reason my car was on share as did not have the refurbishments done and very high km's :scared:,

As 87,000km on clock, no overhaul of any kind, no oil change, tuned with both DS3 and Logitech DFGT (the car is better set for a DFGT though:crazy:)

hope this helps, looking forward at analysing your findings too!...

Oi, Slacker, Y U NO UPDATE OP?!

And Mike, where's the vid for my car? :dopey:

Im starting the upload on youtube before going to work as we speak :D
It was one already recorded on my PC.

Will add it tonight after work. :cheers:

Thanks for all of the tune updates. Still missing a few. Does anyone have access to their cars on share and have the time to provide these remaining updates?

SolidSnake7735 - controller and transmission settings?

Cowboys965 - LSD and transmission settings?

MrGrado - controller used to tune?

Rallywagon - controller used and GT Auto Services performed?

LineR32 - horsepower, weight, PP and individual gear settings?

Jahgee1124 - horsepower, weight and PP?

Last edited:
Chuyler1 - PSN: chuyler1// Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) `02

8:21.504

Test drive result // total points= 111 pts

Max speed under bridge: 225 km/h = 140 mph = 28 pts

Low speed corner:
Entry: 9 Middle: 9 Out: 9
Comments: Very easy to get into the right direction on corner entry, it will overtseer in 2nd gear in middle of the curve, the line between grip and sliding is very thin, but will reward you if you find the sweet spot.

Medium speed corner:
Entry: 9 Middle: 10 Out: 9
Comments: Well balanced, you can use the slight oversteer to your advantage to have a fast corner exit.

High speed corner:
Entry: 10 Middle: 9 Out: 9
Comments: Its getting better with more speed, solid handling a with the right amount of turn-in/overtseer

Its a fast car around the track but require a good racing line that is smooth, the oversteer can serve you well or ruin your lap, its a very good tune that make the car a lot of fun to drive, got used to it in the first lap, good job!
Just needed 3 laps, 2nd lap was already good but wanted to make sure i couldnt improve a lot.

Chuyler1's MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02 8:21.504:

Thanks so much for the review! What a great lap! I see a few places I need to work on with my driving, mostly I need to improve modulation of the brake pedal. Your drive was very smooth yet you knocked off 5 seconds from my best time. I noticed your early upshift into 3rd at Adenauer Forst. I'm guessing that was to eliminate the 2nd gear oversteer. I'll have to work on that corner for my next tune. As for the medium speed mid-corner oversteer. That's how I like it :) I like to hold the wheel almost straight exiting corners so getting it set up for slight mid corner oversteer gets the car lined up for a slingshot out of the turn. Not easy to hit it right, but very rewarding when you do.

Thanks for all of the tune updates. Still missing a few. Does anyone have access to their cars on share and have the time to provide these remaining updates?

Johnnypenso - controller and oil change?

I used a DFGT. I did an engine rebuild I believe which would include an oil change, but I could be mistaken. Is that what you're looking for?

Thanks so much for the review! What a great lap! I see a few places I need to work on with my driving, mostly I need to improve modulation of the brake pedal. Your drive was very smooth yet you knocked off 5 seconds from my best time. I noticed your early upshift into 3rd at Adenauer Forst. I'm guessing that was to eliminate the 2nd gear oversteer. I'll have to work on that corner for my next tune. As for the medium speed mid-corner oversteer. That's how I like it :) I like to hold the wheel almost straight exiting corners so getting it set up for slight mid corner oversteer gets the car lined up for a slingshot out of the turn. Not easy to hit it right, but very rewarding when you do.

No problem chuyler1! :)
Yeah i upshifted on 1st curve it was about to get unstable, on torquey car i tend to do that, where you could use 2nd gear but at high rpm, i keep it in 3rd and most of time carry more speed in the corner and its more stable. :)

Added Onboy's video!

Tuner // car : Onboy123- PSN: Onboy123 – Hyundai Tiburon GT ´01

8:24.329

Test drive result // total points= 105 pts

Max speed under bridge: 224 km/h = 137 mph =26 pts

Low speed corner:
Entry: 9 Middle: 8 Out: 9
Comments: Good turn-in on entry, if you push too much on entry the car will swing and oversteer in middle part, exit is good.

Medium speed corner:
Entry: 9 Middle: 8 Out: 9
Comments: Can take curves and handle the tire heat without understeering, you lose speed though if you push too much...

High speed corner:
Entry: 9 Middle: 9 Out: 9
Comments: Very good cornering capability at high speed, you can get the car where you want it to be.

Very surprised by its performance, the handling is sharp, good steering response and will stay planted on curbs, it was very easy to drive and a lot of fun, almost dont feel like an FF.

Onboy's Hyundai Tiburon GT '01 8:24.329

Thanks for that! Good to see my car is doing well, even though I have to admit, I rage quit the final few laps of its tuning and just guessed some bits of it. :lol:

I guess the bit about it letting go when you push too hard is sort of linked to the fact that you say it doesn't feel like a FF, but yea, thanks for schooling me in the lap times. :bowdown: :lol:

And Desperado, the Shoiji Express (?) is back in Black for some revenge. :mischievous: You shall regret your betrayal. :lol:

Just wanted to mention how interesting it's been to follow this thread. Don't think I would've had the time to run all those cars as a tester (or consistent enough, lol - it probably would have come down to whatever car I crashed the least.)

Was wondering if there's an archive of all the past shootouts anywhere?

Thanks for that! Good to see my car is doing well, even though I have to admit, I rage quit the final few laps of its tuning and just guessed some bits of it. :lol:

I guess the bit about it letting go when you push too hard is sort of linked to the fact that you say it doesn't feel like a FF, but yea, thanks for schooling me in the lap times. :bowdown: :lol:

And Desperado, the Shoiji Express (?) is back in Black for some revenge. :mischievous: You shall regret your betrayal. :lol:
It's spelled Soju (I may have spelled it wrong in the past, to lazy to check:lol:) and I never betrayed it. I just couldn't get enough grip during the 500PP FF shootout to make it competitive. Both my tuning and driving skills have improved since then so I'm sure I could do a much better job with it now but it is one of those cars that will always have issues with a lack of grip. That said its bloody fast for its PP in a straight line!:D

Had an unreal experience with Theo's Focus during testing last night....I think I now know what it feels like to be a D1/D2 WRS driver. :eek:

I will post up some of my results later tonight for group 2...lagging rather behind at the moment but still hopeful to finish up on time.

EDIT: Yay 700 posts! :D

SolidSnake7735 - controller and transmission settings?

Cowboys965 - LSD and transmission settings?

MrGrado - controller used to tune?

Rallywagon - controller used and GT Auto Services performed?

LineR32 - horsepower, weight, PP and individual gear settings?

Jahgee1124 - horsepower, weight and PP?

Tuned with a wheel.

Hi everyone.. sorry i haven't been around to do much or any testing.. college and all that shtuff has taken up quite a bit of time. real life and whatnot. I'll try to get some test runs in this coming weekend though.

Results! I am using ABS 1, MT and driving line for reference. Running 3-4 laps depending on how I am feeling the previous laps have gone. Lap 1 I use as a garbage lap to warm the tires and push the limits on some of the tougher, more critical areas. This is so I don't hold back too much in areas where a car might do well. If I don't end up in the Armco a few times, I'm doing it wrong. :D

Group 2
8'34.429" - Theo777 - Ford Focus '03
8'38.005" - chuyler1 - Toyota MR2 Spyder '02
8'39.306" - CSLACR - Acura ITR '01
8'40.326" - Johnnypenso - Nissan Silvia '99
8'40.731" - Motor City Hami - Mazda Roadster '07
8.43.122" - sean10mm - Mazda Roadster '07
8'43.981" - Hermanvongerman - Honda CR-X
8'45.754" - krenkme - Renault Avantime
8'47.560" - Rallywagon - Toyota 2000GT
8'49.338" - sheephead - VW Lupo GTI '01
8'51.387" - LineR32 - Toyota MR2 '86
8'51.450" - Jahgee1124 - Vauxhall VX220
8'55.147" - Cowboys965 - BMW 120d
8'55.486" - oopssorryy - Toyota Celica '99

***COMMENTS***
Theo777 - Ford Focus '03 - 8'34.429"
I have no complaints about this car at all. I could put it anywhere I wanted and as a result ran ~10 seconds faster than any other car I've tried here previously at this PP. If I was going to gripe I'd want more speed. It was struggling to get into the mid-130s on the long straight. I think 132 was the highest I saw briefly.

chuyler1 - Toyota MR2 Spyder - 8'38.005"
A bit squirrelly in slower corners, as is the nature of most MRs I've driven. It was never much problem unless I happened to catch the grass with a tire. I did like the transmission on this one, matched up perfectly for where I wanted it to be.

CSLACR - Acura ITR '01 - 8'39.306"
I liked the steering on this car. It felt good through some of the consecutive corners in the first sectors. Definitely quick but it makes you work for it. I had some difficulty keeping it where I wanted.

Johnnypenso - Nissan Silvia '99 - 8'40.326"
Good driving feel overall. Slightly tendency to push in slower sections but very good in the faster areas. The control was not quite on the money for me but still fun.

Motor City Hami - Mazda Roadster '07 - 8'40.731"
Great balance on this car through the corners. A hint of understeer on entry. It did lose some ground on the speed sections.

sean10mm - Mazda Roadster '07 - 8.43.122"
Well balanced tune. Tight enough to be precise when you need and loose enough to let you wing it a bit. I did find myself wanting to grab the needle on the speedo and yank it over at times. It does lack a little punch in places.

Hermanvongerman - Honda CR-X - 8'43.981"
This cars feels like a perpetual understeer machine. There were very few corners I wasn't willing the car to get tighter and trying to push the stick over further. It doesn't feel fast at all but it keeps quite a good pace. As with the big Renault I'd like to have more response in the steering.

krenkme - Renault Avantime - 8'45.754"
Did your girls put you up to this? Is there an award for most cargo space? :lol: The feel in high speed areas is on the sluggish and understeery side but the suspension handles the rough road and curbs nicely. Would certainly like some more quickness in the steering.

Rallywagon - Toyota 2000GT - 8'47.560"
Oversteers a tad on entry and more on exit. Doesn't seem to do well with lots of weight transfer. Not sure if that is due to the suspension setup or the skinny tires on this older car.

sheephead '99 - VW Lupo GTI '01 - 8'49.338"
Quite a bit of understeer in the wrong places along with a need for some more acceleration didn't help out this little machine.

LineR32 - Toyota MR2 '86 - 8'51.387"
This tune is on the loose side but it was never an issue. When it steps over the limits it does so gracefully and with enough warning and plenty of room to get it back easily.

Jahgee1124 - Vauxhall VX220 - 8'51.450"
Definitely a loose rear end here though it will hold well when it lets go. By 4th gear I felt like I was losing a lot of steam in the acceleration department. Reminded me a bit of the wonky 4-5 change in C-ZETAs Europa. Some adjustment on the gear spacing here would help out in the faster sections.

Cowboys965 - BMW 120d - 8'55.147"
Easy drive, but not for any good reason. Wing it around and the rear will most definitely come unglued but this is hardly an issue as there is not enough power or acceleration to make it a factor. You can fill oil drums with the time this diesel loses in speed sections and getting back up to pace.

oopssorryy - Toyota Celica '99 - 8'55.486"
Feels good in mid-speed corners but tends toward understeer otherwise. I struggled to find anything I liked about the gearbox. The gears are too long and kill the acceleration. There are 5 gears but only 4 are usable. By the time I had enough room to get to 5th it actually slowed me down.

***DRIVER'S CHOICE***
This was actually pretty tough. I wouldn't say there is a bad one in the bunch but there are definitely some standouts. CSLs Acura and Johnny's Silvia are riiiiiight there with each other. With the right skill they are very capable. But I have to give the nod to Theo here. On a course like this a car that will go where you tell it is a valuable asset and that is reflected in the time.

Last edited:
DigitalBaka
Results, as yet incomplete. I am using ABS 1, MT and driving line for reference. Running 3-4 laps depending on how I am feeling the previous laps have gone. Lap 1 I use as a garbage lap to warm the tires and push the limits on some of the tougher, more critical areas. This is so I don't hold back too much in areas where a car might do well. If I don't end up in the Armco a few times, I'm doing it wrong. :D

Group 2
8'45.754" - krenkme - Renault Avantime

***COMMENTS***

krenkme - Renault Avantime - 8'45.754"
Did your girls put you up to this? Is there an award for most cargo space? :lol: The feel in high speed areas is on the sluggish and understeery side but the suspension handles the rough road and curbs nicely. Would certainly like some more quickness in the steering.

:lol: no, if my girls picked the car it most likely would have been pink :lol:. I'm thinking I got my shootouts mixed up... isn't this the Tons of Fun? :dopey:

Thanks for the test and the feed back. I'm kinda proud my Mini-Van can turn the quick laps you turn in. Great job!!!
:dopey:

Back