GTP Members Who Can Design/ Engineer/ Mechanise Cars?

• Thread starter JBanton
  • 65 comments
United Kingdom
London
Jonny-TWC
Anybody around here on GTPlanet that can design a car? I myself do quite love doing it, I've been doing it for 15 years and have never got bored of it, yes I'm only 17 but that's just how I am. So am I on my own here?

I thought I'd start by dropping my designs, yes they look very Japanese but that's how I've generally been influenced :)

Last edited:
I tried this from my 5 to 17 years but I rarely draw any car design any more.

I am sorry to hear that sir. I can fully understand though; in this day and age designing a car doesn't count for much. Especially seeing as design jobs are impossible to get. I've been trying for about a year now :(

I know there's a thread for car drawings, AOS is a great artist, i think he said he works in automotive design.

I draw cars in my spare time, but i'm nowhere near good

Have you thought of posting them in this thread?

Derp, you'd think with 700+ posts I'd learn to use a search feature :dunce:

Oh well, has anybody ever tried getting a job in automotive design? I could really do with some advice or directive info, those jobs or careers seems impossible to get :(

@ Schwartz

Yep, that's the thread. Perhaps you can post your creations there ;)

I as well draw lots of things, though I still have a long way until I make it into a profession.

@ Schwartz

Yep, that's the thread. Perhaps you can post your creations there ;)

I as well draw lots of things, though I still have a long way until I make it into a profession.

It's really weird though, because even if you're young and have the ability to design and engineer (photographic evidence coming soon) there are still absolutely no places in the industry for you :(

I know that the UK economy is 🤬 and that jobs are nowhere these days but, how is the next generation supposed to go anywhere with their lives.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit like someone who just ran up in here to complain :(

I am sorry to hear that sir. I can fully understand though; in this day and age designing a car doesn't count for much. Especially seeing as design jobs are impossible to get. I've been trying for about a year now :(

Those are pretty good drawings, but I highly doubt you could get into the designing business without having worked with 3d modeling or some sort of clay modeling etc. I used to draw cars up to when I was like 12, some of them pretty good, but I also started thinking about how I would have to leave this country and probably not have a guaranteed job in an unknown place so the dream I had of being a car designer dissapeared. However, if you really apply yourself and have talent, you can achieve whatever you want, just make sure that it is what you truly want and don't change your mind about it afterwards.

velly
i used to design Planes, then cars...now i test cars :)

I think everyone would like to know what you designed and what you test. You're going to need proof. Good luck, you'll need it. ;)

I've been doing it for 15 years and have never got bored of it, yes I'm only 17 but that's just how I am.

Designing cars since you was 2? That's a lot of car designs!

I design components for cars/ bikes in my spare time, or I used to when I had spare time. A whole car is too large so I focused on the little things like door handles that sit flush after the door is closed, axleless wheels for bikes (before they were mainstream) and other little things.

I made it through several interviews for a place at Rolls Royce in Derby as an apprentice machinist but didn't make the final cut.

A friend of mine who's wedding I'm going to on Saturday has been in talks with his manager about getting me a job for Volvo in the seating design department, don't know what will come of that yet, plus I like my current job.

I draw cars too, and I've "designed" my fair share over my years. Of course, they're nothing more than drawings and sketches... I think that if you draw cars a natural step forward is trying your hand at designing one. But I almost always find myself drawing hot rods or car-toons when I start drawing cars lol.

However, I also do several "car scoops" in Photoshop for the magazine I work for that sometimes require a bit or a lot of design or re-design work. They just want a photo-like interpretation of what a car that's gonna come in the future might look like. And since many times those speculations come off mere rumors, I've had my chance to turn up some weird stuff on my own, for example, this Porsche hot hatch I made based on a rumor that's been circulating for years. The design came entirely off my noodle.

porschehatchblancosmall.jpg

In four years when I graduate college I'll be an engineer for gm in las vegas :D if someone that knows my aunt likes how u do at college. Does that count? :dunce:

Patrick
I think everyone would like to know what you designed and what you test. You're going to need proof. Good luck, you'll need it. ;)

Uh... I think he was saying he designed cars & planes for fun, not professionaly, just like the OP. :dopey:

Schwartz38
Uh... I think he was saying he designed cars & planes for fun, not professionaly, just like the OP. :dopey:

You're probably right. I said that because it was brought up in the ludicrous claims thread. :)

the proof is my name on the part drawings lol (which i cant post on here lol)

I have worked on the Airbus A400M
AIR_A400M_Steep_Bank_Concept_lg.jpg

this mainly wsa electrical wiring fuel lines and brackets, nothing too cool lol

I done power train design on the Ford Ranger
2011-ford-ranger-t6.jpg

Engine covers for the Ranger/BT-50
p375%20-%20i5%2032%20engine_WEB-CROP.jpg

Ford Territory engine cover
2009_ford_territory_04_duratorq_tdci_diesel_01-4d772a55ba97a.jpg

And vehicle sign off testing for Territory and Falcon
Ford-Territory-2.jpg

2008_fg_falcon_g6e_tmr_3-4b77a90b3ec74.jpg

Vehicle Integration Engineer
I have a degree in production engineering

Now can I get some sort of proof? Business card? Something along those lines? You wouldn't be the first person who has tried to pull a quick one over the members of this forum.

I'm on my phone, but there is a thread called "Car Drawings" on this forum. If you search for it it'll come up.

Also in the future (Hopefully) I will be designing cars. I've got an offer from Coventry University (down in England) to do Automotive Design - 4 Years MDes. So will be studying there from 27th September. :)

Similar situation: I'm 17, but I'm planning to go into the field of automotive engineering. It'd be tremendously easier for me to go into aeronautics because I've got a bunch of Boeing nearby, but I'll have to see how it works out. Either way, I'll be engineering, and I'm hoping to either work on chassis or airplane infrastructure.

Designing cars since you was 2? That's a lot of car designs!

Heavily based on real life vehicles of course. I wasn't that intelligent at the age of two :). I know thesedays you need to have the technical know-how as well as the design skill.

Technology? I'm pretty alright with, when it comes to CAD, I do know my way around that sketchup, although I really wish I could get my hands on some more advanced software that doesn't cost a fortune. :(

Oh well, has anybody ever tried getting a job in automotive design? I could really do with some advice or directive info, those jobs or careers seems impossible to get :(

A degree in automotive design would be a good place to start. You'll not find any auto design jobs by just hunting around for them as an under-qualified 17-year old.

As you've noted yourself it's an incredibly difficult career to get into, but it's one that's possible with the right qualifications. Royal College of Art in London, and the University of Coventry are both good places to look into. Coventry is particularly good for car-related stuff - many of my peers got their automotive journalism degrees there.

Back