GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 69 : Summer of '69

• Thread starter EDK
  • 204 comments
Yeah the bus-stop is everything here. You can lose 0.5 in the blink of eye or cut too much and lose the lap. :crazy: Frustrating in the extreme but soo satisfying when you nail it . Looks great in the replay with this car too. :)

Yeah, but it's rather frustrating when you're on a "perfect" (if there's ever such a thing ;)) lap but run slightly wide/take too much kerb at one corner and lose it all. :crazy:

I know I can get a decent lap I just haven't managed it yet. :lol:

I just had one of those magic laps (for me anyway) that happen once in a blue moon. :D

I saved it right away, and reviewed. Clean lap. :)

I thought this is too good to be true, did I have SRF on by mistake? :scared: I didn't do any other racing before this session, or since the last laps in this event. I went back and checked to be sure, no SRF. Tires correct too. :)

I doubt I'll beat this lap in 100 more attempts, I'll likely stay with this lap.

Last edited:
Fantastic job Blair. 👍 Love that 1st sector.... Can I borrow it mate? :sly:

Fantastic job Blair. 👍 Love that 1st sector.... Can I borrow it mate? :sly:

Thanks Chris. :)

Turn one is so tricky, I just got lucky I think. Although doing the last TT with the Jag here helped a bunch.

really not enjoying this car.... gears and handling feel really weird

I agree with you but I would suggest using Millross's gearbox a few pages back, that seems to suit me the best. Makes it much easier to get the power down. 👍

In fact I'm using EDK's suspension, Millross's gears and my own LSD. :lol:

Not that I'm exactly setting the pace.....but.....you know... :guilty:

I agree with you but I would suggest using Millross's gearbox a few pages back, that seems to suit me the best. Makes it much easier to get the power down. 👍

In fact I'm using EDK's suspension, Millross's gears and my own LSD. :lol:

Not that I'm exactly setting the pace.....but.....you know... :guilty:

whats your lsd ford mate?

thanks ford... alot better im enjoying it now :)

Last edited:
whats your lsd ford mate?

thanks ford... alot better im enjoying it now :)

Can't remember as I can't get on my PS3 'til tomorrow now. :( But my settings are way off anyone elses. :)

Something like:

8 inital/18 accel/36 decel I think.

Last edited:
EDK
Hmm, I must have messed something up when tuning it on Saturday night. Will give it another go in my next session.

Tranny trick seems to work with my gears too, on page 1 - was able to give it 211mph in the top box with still a few hundred clicks left on the final-drive-ometer. I think you must have been out cruising in the sun in the purple blunderbuss a bit too long ;)

@Baron, @Blair, @Twissy - cracking splits fellas. Might have a few more laps tonight - only had 20 minutes at full HP but already have a strong lap. I know by watching the T4 split times by forwarding through the replay that I can take the bus stop .150 faster but it takes balls and a good line.

Edit: Thanks for the comments about the setup, I like to try and put something up - usually Kevin's setups are better though, so bare that in mind ;)

Last edited:
Looks like buddy "Mill" put the kabaush on us D3 strugglers soooo, great job and so early too 👍 I saw "V"z setup and it confirmed my thoughts about the car and the direction I was going. I haven't suited up the EDK special yet but considering how Kevins style works for me I look forward to it.

T1: 28.782
T2: 24.920
T3: 13.945

Lost a bit in T1 but improved overall.
Took the setup from Vagabond.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
EDK
Did you do as I mentioned in the post, by moving final to far right, setting top speed to 242, then selecting gears? It's different than what I normally do, but was needed to get high enough gears.

None of the gears worked as I had read it, the ratios just didn't balance out to your specs. Are we supose to reset back to orig and then do it? Maybe I corupted the tranny by setting it previously to something different before I tried your numbers :dunce:

None of the gears worked as I had read it, the ratios just didn't balance out to your specs. Are we supose to reset back to orig and then do it? Maybe I corupted the tranny by setting it previously to something different :dunce:

It sounds like I made a mess of the transmission, somehow.

Try the rest of the setup with someone else's transmission, until I have a chance to fix it tonight.

After some laps with Chris tune - thanks mate 👍 - was start to miss them :sly:

Not break in so lots to improve

T1: 28.401
T2: 24.163
T3: 13.874

After some laps with Chris tune - thanks mate 👍 - was start to miss them :sly:
Haha, thanks mate. :) Sometimes I just can't get a good feel for a car and I don't feel the difference with setup changes.... and sometimes Kevin's setup is so good, there's no point in me doing one. :P Getting a good feel for this monster now though and pretty sure I'm sticking with my current setup.

Small step tonight and a little better through the bus-stop too. Looking for about 0.4ish on the lap I think.

I have to admit that when I was struggling to get to grips with this beast yesterday, I was hating to love it. Now I just love it. This is about as close to a 'perfect' combo as we've been I think. Thanks Kev, loving it. 👍 And happy to have lied about not taking part this week. :sly:

Only .001 faster through t3, but .21 faster at the line.

Lost some in the right hander in t2, went a little wide.

Can't seem to match the bus stop that I got on this lap, even when I just try to dive bomb it so I'm really happy with it.

Theoretically, there's about .15 left but I'm not holding my breath, however the week is young.

I thought I knew this track! Man I got a lot to learn. Finally got the thing up to full song and here's what I can muster so far.

I know there is a lot left out there and I hope to get it betwenn now and Sunday. Maybe when Kevin gets his gears figgured out, I can give that a try. For now, I'll just use my interpretation of the tranny fix.

Last edited:
Some new ones for me tonight.

Here's the revised tune, with a corrected transmission. Not sure what happened there, but this one is nice. 👍

EDK Tune

RH 45/-25
Springs 11.0/14.5
Damp Ext 5/7
Damp Comp 5/7
ARB 7/1
Camber 2.5/1.0
Toe 0.0/-0.10

LSD 10/18/10

Aero = Max

Brakes 3/5

Transmission

Final gear to far right

Top Speed to Far Left

Set these

Final = 2731

I messed around a bit with the softer rear and it just did not suit me, made the car feel slidey when putting the power back down. Instead, I softened the front a bit more, which aids turn in from speed.

I figured out that the higher rear brakes were causing that back end kick out issue I mentioned. I went down to 3/5, which made them less grabby in trail brake conditions.

My first try, car is still not broken in. I used Kevin's 1st tune. Lost 3/10ths from PB in the bus stop. What a great car to drive!

Al

Forgot to add a picture of my beast!
RoadCourse-Daytona.jpg

Last edited:
New splits:

28.551 (More to come here)

Somehow feeling much more comfortable today with the car. :confused:

28.545 (seen a bunch of .2s and a .1)

Starting to get somewhere now :):

13.839 (got too much wheelspin. :ouch:)

Just realised I did these with 546bhp :dunce:

Last edited:

Can't seem to replicate my previous 24 flat sector two. Don't quite get why I'm losing a car length in the short sector 3 either - but it may be due to the soft rears and not quite getting the power down while turning hard left - going to try using Kevin's setup or a hybrid next time I run, this is as far as I'm going with mine for the time being.

Good run through the bus stop (for me anyway) - close to my best, but I don't think I have the skill to nail it 100%

New Splits:

28.233 (Finally getting there. :D Probably another tenth left here at least.)

Did my best through the bus stop as well. But pretty pleased all in all as I've taken over a second off of my best yesterday. :D

Using EDK's tune (thanks very much EDK 👍) with a revised LSD:

10 initial/25 Accel/10 Deccel

Found that EDK's bogged down a bit when the inside wheel spun up, this one doesn't but requires a bit more finesse on the throttle. ;)

Last edited:
Don't really need a pic, since Arianrhod picked both colour and my now-usual car number :scared:

Started with Kev's tune, then did stuff. It's level again while I figure out what I want.

Car is broken in. I had one fully run in (I like the car, OK?) on each account already, but had Bruce break in another one without Rigidity Improvement; a bad early habit of mine.

Likely won't have enough time to do this justice (my lot lately), but it's hard to pass up this fantastic noise.

Here's my best so far. Not great, but I'm trying.
Like I said, nothing to write home about and certainly nowhere as good as the rest of you, but I'll keep trying. This is my first WRS event also. Peace.

Like I said, nothing to write home about and certainly nowhere as good as the rest of you, but I'll keep trying. This is my first WRS event also. Peace.

If this was only about being the fastest guy, we would not have very many people here every week.

It's more about improving your skills and in turn giving back to the community by helping others to improve.

You're starting out in D4, and that's a great place to be, with a lot of enthusiastic racers who are pushing each other and getting better every week.

Welcome, and enjoy. 👍

EDK
If this was only about being the fastest guy, we would not have very many people here every week.

It's more about improving your skills and in turn giving back to the community by helping others to improve.

You're starting out in D4, and that's a great place to be, with a lot of enthusiastic racers who are pushing each other and getting better every week.

Welcome, and enjoy. 👍

Thanks EDK. Will keep trying to improve and am enjoying my time here so far. Look forward to getting more involved as time goes by. Have a great day. Peace.

Look forward to getting more involved as time goes by.
You'll find many folks here willing to help out with tips and tricks as well as car setups for tuning weeks (like this one).... not least of those being Kevin himself (EDK), our erstwhile and long-suffering WRS race admin. :sly:

If you're struggling with something in particular, just holler loud enough and someone, or several someones, will no doubt happen along with some helpful advice. For this week, there are a few setups to choose from:
Matt's
Mine
Kevin's

Kev's writeup on sector 1: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7170059#post7170059

And my 1st sector guide video: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7170307#post7170307

Most of all, have fun.... Welcome to WRS. :cheers:

Another small step for me:

Disappointing 1st sector since I'm getting mostly 28.0s now but best 2nd sector by half a tenth. Average bus-stop leaves me still looking for 0.3 on the lap although this lap was up 0.15. Pretty happy with progress so far considering my struggle to get to grips with the car on Sunday.

Great showing from Baron and Matt, nice one guys. 👍 I'm tucking my tail in and running for it. :P

Just when I was making progress, you go and raise the bar. :rolleyes: :sly:

Also @KB18FAN you're splits are really pretty decent. I'm sure you'll shave a bit of time off those splits. 👍 I was really struggling to start with too but have shaved a whole 1.3 seconds off my previous best now I (sort of :sly:) have the hang of it. Just goes to show that sticking at it will yield rewards. :)

I'd also highly recommend EDK's (Kevin's?) set up. 👍

Last edited:
Thanks Vagabond for the kind words of wisdom. Look forward to corresponding and learning from you and the rest of the good people on here.
The only real problem I'm having is trying to figure out a breaking point going into the bus stop. Some kind of visual marker or something. I either slow down too soon or over shoot it altogether. Very hard to nail that section. Any advice on that section would be helpful. Thanks again for the links and advice. Peace.

The only real problem I'm having is trying to figure out a breaking point going into the bus stop. Some kind of visual marker or something. I either slow down too soon or over shoot it altogether. Very hard to nail that section. Any advice on that section would be helpful. Thanks again for the links and advice. Peace.

Were you looking for the breaking point of the braking point? :sly:

Lots of people have lost patience with the bus stop here over the years. The breaking point will happen much closer to the deadline, as you are running out of time to run during your final session.

For the braking point, I use reference markers that are on the left. The first is the point at which the big patch of concrete transitions to grass. In some cars, that IS the braking point. In this car, that's the "get ready to brake" point.

Once I've crossed that point, I use the tall, black poles that support the fencing out to the left. I'm braking at the second pole after the grass starts. I shift down to 3rd, then release brakes to get the car pointed at the left rumble, then am back on the throttle toward the outside rumble in the center of the chicane. While on that rumble, lift with a dab of brake to get the car pointed, then back to the floor on the way out with a shift to 4th that helps control your momentum toward the wall.

Back