GT Academy 2012 (NA) General Discussion

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 3,455 comments

comic-con in 3 weeks hotel availability and pricing + airfare diagonally across the country = at least $1K ... I'm not that good. And if I had that cash to burn I'd go buy track time :lol:

... orlando I would have gone to; I lived in Jacksonville for a year so I've done that drive many times + I know the area. But they wouldn't let us go :(

that wild card competition is oh so tempting...

someone from canada should go win it. :lol:

Is that allowed? I can't seem to find out who's eligible. If it's possible I may have to turn my trip to Vancouver Island into a trip to San Diego!

Big news guys, it's confirmed, the National Finals will have all of us use the Thrustmaster

Contest Race – Contestants will be required to compete using Thrustmaster(R) T500 RS wheel controllers. DualShock® controllers will not be allowed.

I really don't know how I feel about this :/

Well, at least we know now and not the day before right?!

Anyway, all of the rules for the Racer X contest, the Nat's and the Finals have been updated, check them out here:

(scroll down to "GT ACADEMY 2012 NATIONAL FINAL CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES"):
http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/academy/2012/rules/

Last edited:
Yeah, it's both good and bad in ways. Well there goes my plan of getting a DFGT this week...

Hmm, never heard anyone complain about that. As long as they're LED it should be a non-issue I suppose. But the wheel is definitely a huge factor, ever handled a T500 ? Has a much different feel, 1080 degrees of rotation, stronger and more sensitive FFB, different pedals, stationery paddle shifters... lots to get used to.

Wardez
Hmm, never heard anyone complain about that. As long as they're LED it should be a non-issue I suppose. But the wheel is definitely a huge factor, ever handled a T500 ? Has a much different feel, 1080 degrees of rotation, stronger and more sensitive FFB, different pedals, stationery paddle shifters... lots to get used to.

Not to mention the $500.00 price point.

Congratulations to all and good luck out there in the magic earthquake kingdom.

Well I was gone for a few days because of a wedding, just read back though the thread. Really wished I'd skipped it, I was running some nice laps and spun a .1 before I had to take off. So frustrating, o well.

Congrats to you guys and thanks to those of you who rooted me on, Rack, Forced, Scooty, Jett looks like an awesome finals. You guys stand a great chance when you move on to the real cars. Nice to know there are some fast autocrossers going to show some skills.

Nice Job Guys!!!

TRC Scooty
Well at least the pedals won't suck. Since I don't havea dfgt.and I doubt most have the thrustmaster I kinda like that news.

I had a T500rs... and the pedals are the weakest part of the wheel. They are small and have a really numb feel. Inverting them is a nice feature and the unit is very solid, but performance wise, yuck. As far as the wheel. If they give you the option turn the down. It can be quite jolting. Oversteer moments are harder to correct vs a dfgt. The fixed paddle shifters are not a big deal. They are so large you never really have to look for them. The biggest thing to get used to is the lack of a deadzone. Steering is very direct. But once you oversteer get ready, because there is a bucket load of ffb coming your way.

I had a T500rs... and the pedals are the weakest part of the wheel. They are small and have a really numb feel. Inverting them is a nice feature and the unit is very solid, but performance wise, yuck. As far as the wheel. If they give you the option turn the down. It can be quite jolting. Oversteer moments are harder to correct vs a dfgt. The fixed paddle shifters are not a big deal. They are so large you never really have to look for them. The biggest thing to get used to is the lack of a deadzone. Steering is very direct. But once you oversteer get ready, because there is a bucket load of ffb coming your way.

Well now I might have to retract that statement. G27 to dfgt might have been better after all, guess we'll see.

Will one if you final 32 be willing to blog on GTP about your experience? From receiving the confirmation email onward. I would love to read a day by day post or even weekly.

To quote Maynard:
"Vicariously I,
Live while the whole world dies."

Of course it's in southern Cally, so:
"Learn to swim." Probably applies better.

Seriously though. Congratulations to those of you going. I'd love to read all about your experience.

Big news guys, it's confirmed, the National Finals will have all of us use the Thrustmaster

I really don't know how I feel about this :/

Well, at least we know now and not the day before right?!

Anyway, all of the rules for the Racer X contest, the Nat's and the Finals have been updated, check them out here:

(scroll down to "GT ACADEMY 2012 NATIONAL FINAL CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES"):
http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/academy/2012/rules/
Interesting. Based on what I see, this chance is only one shot, with likely an off or cone strike meaning game over, and I'm guessing we'll only get maybe 5-10 laps total to get a time in using a new wheel. I'm much less willing to go now. :indiff:

Good job to everyone! Had a great time competing. In the end I was around a Second off the lead times. I'm getting closer! But man, great fun.

Interesting. Based on what I see, this chance is only one shot, with likely an off or cone strike meaning game over, and I'm guessing we'll only get maybe 5-10 laps total to get a time in using a new wheel. I'm much less willing to go now. :indiff:

Actually makes me more interested. Hitting my limit quickly is actually my best trait. My problem is that my volume knob only goes to 10 so I run out of talent as everyone else gets their's turned up to 11. Though I did lose to Eddie in both kart races by .2 :grumpy:

You guys will learn quickly that there are things you can't share with the public without penalty. ;)

Yeah, NDA's are a bugger. Working at a financial institution data center I'm always under at least one gag order.

I think I would feel better going there and hit a cone than not going and thinking it could have been me "Racer X".

Having to use the t500rs is a scary thought, I've never used it before, and I've gotten very accustomed to my dfgt's quirks. I wish I had one to practice, it sounds like a great piece of hardware. I just hope I can pick it up quickly.

lookin at available hotels and motels :scared:

Yeah, comicon has everything north of TJ without bed-bugs or a $500/night price tag pretty booked up. + you need a car in cali and everything will carry a california tourism board surcharge. You're just makin' it rain the whole time your in cali. That state loves to eat money.

Especially coming from Vegas. That's drive-able and just to take a stab at the wild car you don't even need to book a room. Drive out Wednesday night and take a nap in the Subaru.

I don't even know how I'd get the "prize" hardware home. :lol:

Having to use the t500rs is a scary thought, I've never used it before, and I've gotten very accustomed to my dfgt's quirks. I wish I had one to practice, it sounds like a great piece of hardware. I just hope I can pick it up quickly.

Why not just amazon one and ebay it a month later? You'd be out a couple hundred bucks maybe. I think that's what I would do. :sly:

I will second this, I've had mine T500rs for over a year and Ive simply stopped using it any time I need to run fast because I just can't match my G25 times. And as you say, catching oversteer is very different, and much more difficult in my experience. This is because it gives big resistance to any counter steering, even when FF is set low.

It is nice that it has very little deadzone in the steering though. However the pedals have very large dead zones. This is due to the poor design in pedals not having a spring on the pot, so they had to program in deadzone to deal with the gear lash between the pot and pedal. the Logitech pedals (DFGT/G25/G27) generally have no dead zone at all.

Would be cool if they at least let you set the FF because it is very strong even at 5, much higher than a DFGT or G25/G27 at 5.

I think I would feel better going there and hit a cone than not going and thinking it could have been me "Racer X".
I won't deny that. Like I mentioned before, it's about the expense for such a trip. I've already lost so much $$$ this year. :crazy:

Back